Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Hexxit is a crazy blast from the past. Although thinking back on it all I can really remember is breeding chocobos and riding from prefab dungeon to prefab dungeon cheesing them for loot that didn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Yo! That sounds fun as poo poo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sweet. Do Blightcraft 2 next!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm playing Omnifactory and trying to get my Pyrolyse oven working. It's formed a valid structure, the interface says it's idling, but when I put in the stuff to make charcoal, nothing happens.

It's got power, and steam from a thermal expansion dynamo in the fluid input. I have some oak logs and a (correctly configured) circuit in the input bus. All of my inputs and outputs are on the same side, but as far as I can tell that shouldn't affect anything. I just know there's something I'm overlooking, but I can't work out what.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Cicadalek posted:

I'm playing Omnifactory and trying to get my Pyrolyse oven working. It's formed a valid structure, the interface says it's idling, but when I put in the stuff to make charcoal, nothing happens.

It's got power, and steam from a thermal expansion dynamo in the fluid input. I have some oak logs and a (correctly configured) circuit in the input bus. All of my inputs and outputs are on the same side, but as far as I can tell that shouldn't affect anything. I just know there's something I'm overlooking, but I can't work out what.

Did you hit it with a mallet to activate it? All GT multiblocks start invisibly disabled until activated.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BlondRobin posted:

Did you hit it with a mallet to activate it? All GT multiblocks start invisibly disabled until activated.
Is that still true in Omnifactory? I think that was gone by GTCE.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Yep! Right clicking with a mallet disables processing, and enabling it again just puts it back in idle mode. Left clicking does nothing. Also, i didn't have to do this for the EBF, so I'm not sure it's mandatory in this version of GregTech.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Cicadalek posted:

I doubt it uses circuit #0 for the recipe. You probably need to set the circuit to another number.
GTNH changed the sprite for those circuits to have the number on a 7-segment display, which was really helpful.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So is Gregtech not poo poo anymore? Last time I played modded MC GT was the butt of all overcomplication jokes and it was barely used.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Cicadalek posted:

Are you feeding it steam? That's the biggest thing I can think of that I can't see in your video.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I doubt it uses circuit #0 for the recipe. You probably need to set the circuit to another number.
GTNH changed the sprite for those circuits to have the number on a 7-segment display, which was really helpful.

Edit: This is probably the thing. Check what circuit is required, as you can pyrolyse different outputs. You want to start off with Coal btw, not charcoal, as the outputs from Charcoal are harder to use right away.

D34THROW posted:

So is Gregtech not poo poo anymore? Last time I played modded MC GT was the butt of all overcomplication jokes and it was barely used.

Well, GregTech has gotten a lot more complex, and there are now modifications of gregtech like the community edition and modpacks like Omnifactory that all kind of grind off the worst bits, revealing the fun parts - big complex machines and a lot of automation capability.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

D34THROW posted:

Most of that stuff stems from the original GregTech, which was indeed a mess. However, modern versions (which include the 1.7.10 GTNH pack -- it is under active development and new content is being added even as we speak) are clones, and only bear a resemblance to the original work.

If by way of example -- I'm still playing the GTNH runthrough I started in December of last year. I don't play every day, sure, and I will occasionally put it down for a week or three, but it still captures my attention to this day.

I do recommend disabling infernal mobs and special mobs, though -- Minecraft combat is never fun.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

someone who is good at the economy please help my mob simulator is dying

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

UPDATE: I took the circuit out, opened the GUI, clicked +1 and then -1. Now it works. God almighty.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Most of that stuff stems from the original GregTech, which was indeed a mess. However, modern versions (which include the 1.7.10 GTNH pack -- it is under active development and new content is being added even as we speak) are clones, and only bear a resemblance to the original work.

If by way of example -- I'm still playing the GTNH runthrough I started in December of last year. I don't play every day, sure, and I will occasionally put it down for a week or three, but it still captures my attention to this day.

I do recommend disabling infernal mobs and special mobs, though -- Minecraft combat is never fun.

I took a step further and just am playing Omnifactory on Peaceful, which I don't normally do. Minecraft combat is just too much of a distraction and uninteresting to bother with.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

huh, wasn't expecting anything from tekkit

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is tekkit still goon run?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cicadalek posted:

someone who is good at the economy please help my mob simulator is dying

What's giving you trouble?

Alternately, if you can get on the Disasterpiece server then I can just show you some stuff.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Xun posted:

Is tekkit still goon run?

Kakermix is a goon and still owns it, a lot of folks who've worked on it throughout the years are goons and still pop in to contribute from time to time (not me though! I'm lazy!). I think a lot of the day to day stuff gets done by some people who were like college dudes who wanted some part time work 5 years ago and probably aren't goons.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

D34THROW posted:

As well as what other folks have said, I've heard Gregtech isn't actually developed anymore by the Greg who was, by all reports, a complete piece of work. I think some other more reasonable people who liked the core concept of "lets make hellishly complicated machines because building things is fun" took over.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I tried out a little bit of SevTech this weekend, not totally sure why, I think I liked the idea of climbing a tech tree to build space rockets and stuff. However, I more like building cool and pretty bases and weird installations and theme parks and the like, and I often end up cheating or going full blown creative because even gathering the mats to bootstrap automated farm type things or just the base aesthetics I want become many-hours longer endeavors than just building in creative would already take. So it should've been obvious to myself that a game asking me to throw rocks against another rock to make a different rock to use with like a mesh i made with grass to finally be able to punch a tree for wood was always going to be a failed endeavor. Also wasn't a fan of the manual crafting grid thing, even using the recipe book thing is a bit too unwieldy for my tastes, especially with 400 mods worth of extra new mysterious things added in.

Maybe that sort of thing is more fun with others around suffering under the same conditions, so you can be mutually impressed by even the most humble construction given how much works goes into even just getting to a point to make a bed. Ultimately I resorted to watching some random videos of people using the mod, and I don't think I ever saw them get into space tech, but I didn't watch all that much. A lot of the tech seemed to be really esoteric magic based, someone messing with demon altars and that kind of funky arcana.

Is there maybe a historical tech advancement modpack that is maybe a little more abstract with it's tech progression?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Magres posted:

As well as what other folks have said, I've heard Gregtech isn't actually developed anymore by the Greg who was, by all reports, a complete piece of work. I think some other more reasonable people who liked the core concept of "lets make hellishly complicated machines because building things is fun" took over.

Yep, Greg's out but to his credit he gave everything to the community to do with as they willed. GT Community Edition was, afaik, completely rewritten and is now just GT-but-FUN*

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
It's not very often someone with the level of MUH VISION that Greg had will actually hand off the reins when he's done with it.

And like, Greg tech conceptually is really cool. Extra pseudo-realism and logistical and automation puzzles. The two premier GT modpacks (New Horizons and Omnifactory) are both excellent and fun and do their own thing in a similar design space.

Also I like grindy Punishing bullshit.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Greg's always been too grog for me. But apparently Thaumcraft is back in active development with a new team.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Demiurge4 posted:

But apparently Thaumcraft is back in active development with a new team.
drat, been a while. Thaumcraft 6 was first playable in what, Jan 2018? Last update was Jan 2019. I do miss it, though every time it comes back it seems to revamp its early game and infrastructure and yet lose some of its late game content. I still remember some of the end payouts from TC2, and how things like the magic carpet were in the item list for years but never actually craftable.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Which is a shame, because Thaumic Augmentation is absolutely great. All the Emptiness stuff is cool, all the Eldritch blocks and structures are gorgeous and fun to mess with, the enemies are obnoxious, and the Impetus magic is really enjoyable to tinker with. Hopefully a lot of that gets included and expanded.

I just started Embers on my RAD server, tarted up a machine tower from Prefab and got all my machines set up. Updated my cosmetics to the Ashen stuff from my void mage gear for the interim. Stupid Optifine breaking Quark's rune shimmers really killed the vibe on my Void Thaumaturge set.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

drat, been a while. Thaumcraft 6 was first playable in what, Jan 2018? Last update was Jan 2019. I do miss it, though every time it comes back it seems to revamp its early game and infrastructure and yet lose some of its late game content. I still remember some of the end payouts from TC2, and how things like the magic carpet were in the item list for years but never actually craftable.

I think it was TC2 in the old Technic pack and I loved the sigils you could use to harvest and collect items or open teleport gates around your base.

I guess Astral sorcery hits a lot of the same notes but I really like TC6's research mechanic.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Omnifactory is one of the best experiences I've had in gaming. haven't tried Gregetech: NH but it seems like it will involve both more of the things I like (complex logistics) and the things I dislike (big need for large mining). really interested in GT:NH having both thaumcraft and opencomputers in it. I want to script my whole drat base.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Omnifactory is one of the best experiences I've had in gaming. haven't tried Gregetech: NH but it seems like it will involve both more of the things I like (complex logistics) and the things I dislike (big need for large mining). really interested in GT:NH having both thaumcraft and opencomputers in it. I want to script my whole drat base.

GTNH gives you a very effective mining machine in the LV tier and they only get better as you go up. There are also a huge number of alternative ways to generate resources from bees and crops to thaumic bases plants to centrifuging stuff for byproducts.

It is a little tedious in the beginning but strongly recommend cheating away any such tedium you don't enjoy. Give yourself an electric prospectors scanner and a fast TC mining hammer so you can do the fun stuff.

The coolest part about thaumcraft in GTNH is that it's fully integrated with progression in both Gregtech and Twilight Forest. (Like the first wand needs aluminum and Naga scales, the second needs stainless steel and drops from the lich)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Impermanent posted:

We got into EV tier in GT:NH and still couldn't make a pattern terminal for autocrafting. It really expects you to be manually feeding everything in bulk for half the playthrough. I eventually gave up when I couldn't close the loop on water usage for a power system since the fluid packets would just clog up and delete themselves regardless of the cheated tier of unobtainium I used for them.

I generally just found it too frustrating for automation even if I cheated. If you want to see what the grind is about them you can get that pretty quickly by the steam tier.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

TC3 was, I think, the first mod I ever played with at all. I was very new to modded minecraft playing some old FTB pack with some friends with very little idea what the hell was going on. I went into the Nether, dug about two hundred blocks into the wall, made my hellway into a secret tunnel, portaled back out, and came out in the middle of an ocean and went "holy poo poo GUYS I think I stumbled into a new planet or something" and then built my evil wizard blood tower out there floating over the ocean. And had no idea I was just like, 1500 blocks from home :shobon:

I'd occasionally jump home through my hellway and do Wizard poo poo for my friends and then vanish back to my lab to tinker some more and bring more goodies home, and wound up making a giant magic tree fort back at home base with my pals to be the neighborhood mage. I've loved Thaumcraft ever since, it's such a good mod series for just feeling very magick-y.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We got into EV tier in GT:NH and still couldn't make a pattern terminal for autocrafting. It really expects you to be manually feeding everything in bulk for half the playthrough.

:confused:

This looks like an MV recipe to me. (The base terminal requires an MV circuit.) Granted, molecular assemblers are a punch in the dick, with each requiring its own EV assembler.

You might have been looking at the Processing Pattern Terminal by mistake.

This is an upgrade intended for making patterns for assline automation. Like, for this ZPM energy dynamo:

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This is an upgrade intended for making patterns for assline automation

hell yeah

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Maybe? I tried to get confirmation of it on Discord if I remember right and left with some notion that crafting automation is out of reach until something like IV tier. Maybe that was particular to molecular assemblers?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

automation of insertion of objects into my assline was an extremely pleasurable accomplishment

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Maybe? I tried to get confirmation of it on Discord if I remember right and left with some notion that crafting automation is out of reach until something like IV tier. Maybe that was particular to molecular assemblers?

Looks like it's all doable in EV to me, if not with a degree of difficulty. The main pain point is the GT assembler that's an ingredient in the molecular assembler:

That's four EV circuits, ten motors, and a bunch of titanium per.

The other pain point is that ME networks take ten times as much power in GTNH as they do by default. Running a large ME network can be extremely power-intensive. For example, here's a snapshot from my network right now:

I'm burning about 1.3A IV just to keep my network alive right now.

As you can see, each quantum ring block takes about 110 EU/t. That means each quantum bridge connection takes about 1k EU/t. And you need two of them to do anything. That's roughly 1A EV just to run a quantum bridge pair, let alone do anything with it. About 60% of my ME network's power is dedicated to running six quantum bridges.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

automation of insertion of objects into my assline was an extremely pleasurable accomplishment

too long for a thread title, that's too bad

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

too long for a thread title, that's too bad

How about "Putting mechanical objects into my assline"?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

How about "Putting mechanical objects into my assline"?

Add "Automatically" to the front of that and we're golden

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Automated Assline Insertions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Beginning to think that the purported existence of thermal elementals in Omnifactory is nothing but a cruel joke on players trying to get around making elemental reduction fluid