Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm frankly amazed to learn that anyone unironically enjoyed the 1995 movie, other than the soundtrack, which slaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Imagined posted:

I'm frankly amazed to learn that anyone unironically enjoyed the 1995 movie, other than the soundtrack, which slaps.

It’s cheesy as all hell but it was enjoyable to watch. It’s not a good movie by any stretch, but it’s fun and the soundtrack does indeed slap.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Imagined posted:

It works on a basic level that creates some satisfying moments and isn't made in a totally abysmal way. Now the 1997 movie on the other hand...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Imagined posted:

There's some cheesy acting and godawful CGI, but it's a competently made action movie with gorgeous cinematography in places. And the work Gillis and Woodruff did on Goro is exceptional.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
They did my boy Reptile loving wrong though.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Cowslips Warren posted:

They did my boy Reptile loving wrong though.

“I can go invisible and melt people”

*Proceeds to breakdance noisily around the room, stops being invisible and kills noone before turning his own chest into pudding so Kano can pull his heart out*

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

People don't realise that at the time, Mortal Kombat was the best video game movie ever made and it held that title for a decade

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

flavor.flv posted:

People don't realise that at the time, Mortal Kombat was the best video game movie ever made and it held that title for a decade

It hasn't lost the title yet.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I thought Detective Pikachu was good.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Yeah apart from MK 95’ like what is there? I only watched the first Resident evil and have thankfully missed everything else.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I know it’s not a movie but the Castlevania series was fun.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Imagined posted:

Keep in mind "I like it" may actually mean "I liked it when I was a teenager literally 20 years ago and I will never reevaluate this opinion in any way."

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jedit posted:

It hasn't lost the title yet.
Dredd

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

If we're counting properties that just also have had videogames made of them you could probably just say Lord of the Rings and be done with it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Thing, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Alien, these are all better movies than any of the LOTR movies and all had video games.

Anyway Mario Bros was a better video game movie and that predates MK.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The only thing I remember about the mario brothers movie was the rocket boots and the gross webbing stuff. The cartoon that the mamaluigi thing came from is better than the movie imho.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Taking of Deborah Logan:

They got the authorities involved WAY too late. It's one of those movies where like yeah I get it, you want poo poo to get weird for the views, but come on. The first thing where she seems to teleport up on the stove ok maybe that can be dismissed because of your equipment. But the stuff that happens after? Please get a professional involved and show them everything you have, don't just take her to the doctors and say "yeah she's being weird". and when your documentary subject kills the cops, it's your time to leave. If people with guns couldn't handle it, what are you going to do? Just let them do their ritual, they won

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Paul Blart Mall Cop: what was even the point of the blacklight combination thing? Why are they using skateboards as their transportation method? Why doesn't Paul Blart have a better way of handling his medical condition than candy?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He is a worker in America. He cannot afford prescription medication

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah apart from MK 95’ like what is there? I only watched the first Resident evil and have thankfully missed everything else.

The first resident evil is also good and fun. The laser hall scene is absolutely iconic.

Why doesn't it just do the big laser grid the first time? Because the laser room is self aware and just enjoys being a prick is why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8B-4-xdqaA

Why does it cut through his knife but not the plot critical doodad they brought in with them? It also has a sense of drama!

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Oct 17, 2021

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Imagined posted:

I bought Mortal Kombat: The Album rather than the movie soundtrack, and it was amazing. Songs for a bunch of the characters and few people seemed to know about it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

The first resident evil is also good and fun. The laser hall scene is absolutely iconic.

Why doesn't it just do the big laser grid the first time? Because the laser room is self aware and just enjoys being a prick is why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8B-4-xdqaA

Why does it cut through his knife but not the plot critical doodad they brought in with them? It also has a sense of drama!

And Re4 referenced it after the fact which is neat.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

OwlFancier posted:

The first resident evil is also good and fun.
If it wasn't for Suicide Squad it'd be a contender for the biggest load of poo poo I've ever sat through, though I guess it stays very true to the games in that sense :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

If it wasn't for Suicide Squad it'd be a contender for the biggest load of poo poo I've ever sat through, though I guess it stays very true to the games in that sense :v:

I mean it's not fuckin high art but there's some good fun fighty bits and the sets are quite neat, and some cool visuals too like the flooded labs behind glass with the floating zombies in them. I dunno, I like it. And like it also kinda sets up a bunch of stuff on the way in and then they have to fight their way back out through a lot of it, so you get a sense of tension and then payoff, the movie as a whole feels sensible structurally. It's a good movie IMO, very watchable.

The later movies look absolutely amazingly bad though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58VPpPrmQU

But this is also entirely true to the videogames! I know wesker has loving matrix powers in them too!

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Oct 17, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Taking of Deborah Logan:

They got the authorities involved WAY too late. It's one of those movies where like yeah I get it, you want poo poo to get weird for the views, but come on. The first thing where she seems to teleport up on the stove ok maybe that can be dismissed because of your equipment. But the stuff that happens after? Please get a professional involved and show them everything you have, don't just take her to the doctors and say "yeah she's being weird". and when your documentary subject kills the cops, it's your time to leave. If people with guns couldn't handle it, what are you going to do? Just let them do their ritual, they won

Is that the one that ends with her eating someone like she was a snake?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Gromit posted:

I bought Mortal Kombat: The Album rather than the movie soundtrack, and it was amazing. Songs for a bunch of the characters and few people seemed to know about it.

To this day, sometimes I'll be minding my own business and suddenly it pops into my head

WOAH, CHINESE NINJA WARRIOR, WITH YOUR HEART SO COLD...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's not fuckin high art but there's some good fun fighty bits and the sets are quite neat, and some cool visuals too like the flooded labs behind glass with the floating zombies in them. I dunno, I like it. And like it also kinda sets up a bunch of stuff on the way in and then they have to fight their way back out through a lot of it, so you get a sense of tension and then payoff, the movie as a whole feels sensible structurally. It's a good movie IMO, very watchable.

The later movies look absolutely amazingly bad though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58VPpPrmQU

But this is also entirely true to the videogames! I know wesker has loving matrix powers in them too!

They literally just did the fight sequence from the RE5 video game, like shot for shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hyYq-13p3Q

Piell has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Oct 17, 2021

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Piell posted:

They literally just did the fight sequence from the RE5 video game, like shot for shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hyYq-13p3Q

And it must be the first time that I have seen a movie adaption have worse graphics than the game.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

flavor.flv posted:

To this day, sometimes I'll be minding my own business and suddenly it pops into my head

WOAH, CHINESE NINJA WARRIOR, WITH YOUR HEART SO COLD...

Wow, I'm glad it isn't just me!

JOHNNY CAGE NOT AFRAID TO DIE!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I hate the laser hallway scene in Resident Evil. You give me a monster movie with a bunch of disposable dead meats? Cool, I'm on board. Then more than half of them get killed in one scene by a computer. gently caress off.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Gromit posted:

I had this on cassette. I still listen to it on YouTube every now and then. It's so good.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The most i remember about the first Resident evil movie was milla jovovich flashing her minge,now there’s a quote for the poster!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The most i remember about the first Resident evil movie was milla jovovich flashing her minge,now there’s a quote for the poster!

She has done literal nude modeling, so big whoop about a blurry split-second shot.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

KozmoNaut posted:

She has done literal nude modeling, so big whoop about a blurry split-second shot.

Well i was like 9 but fair enough.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
All I know about Pokemon is from Smash Bros, pop cultural osmosis, and the two weeks my spouse played Go when it first came out, and I actually really enjoyed Detective Pikachu. Certainly more than any other video game movie I've seen.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

My little brother and I had Pokémon Red and Blue between us

after an unintentional glitched trade I forced him to give me the copy of my level 60+ grass starter, and as a result I plowed through the rest of the game.

Detective Pikachu was good lmao

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowetron posted:

I hate the laser hallway scene in Resident Evil. You give me a monster movie with a bunch of disposable dead meats? Cool, I'm on board. Then more than half of them get killed in one scene by a computer. gently caress off.

One thing I liked about the first Resident Evil movie was that I was genuinely unsure which characters that were going to die or survive. With the exception of Michelle Rodriguez' character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

All I know about Pokemon is from Smash Bros, pop cultural osmosis, and the two weeks my spouse played Go when it first came out, and I actually really enjoyed Detective Pikachu. Certainly more than any other video game movie I've seen.

I do think it made a lot of sense to use a spinoff as the basis for a live-action movie, especially one that makes a point of not functioning the same way the whole Pokemon world is usually established to. (Interestingly, establishing it as an exception in-universe in the process) The whole setup of an everyman protagonist in a world where people live alongside fantastic superpowered creatures is a lot more of a natural introduction. Doesn't exactly alienate the fanbase in the process given that and it's strongly implied to be flat out in continuity with the anime and the first movie at least.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another thing about the '95 Mortal Kombat movie is that it had some legitimately very solid fight choreographies. These days they may seem a little slow and stilted compared to the slick and fast-paced fights of some newer movies (e.g. The Raid), but they featured actors and stuntpeople who knew what they were doing, were shot well, and edited properly in a way that made them easy to follow, all while incorporating the unique gimmicks of the characters. That alone makes the movie a fun enough watch.

Also, speaking of the soundtrack, I am contractually obligated to mention the Reptile theme. Especially for child-me in the 90s, that theme kicking in at the beginning of the fight was the hypest poo poo ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJOJTsmJLLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Detective Pikachu was pretty good, and surprisingly so was Sonic the Hedgehog. I think the best 'video game' movies, though, aren't based directly on games that existed before the movie, e.g. Wreck-it-Ralph or Edge of Tomorrow.