Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Icon Of Sin posted:

Video or article link? I’m keeping a list of the ones I know so far. I’ll put them together in a post later. Just picked up the gravity suit early, along with morph ball bombs, grapple beam, and super missile.

If you mean the video i looked up, it's part of some kind of compilation, didn't find a stand-alone video. Check here at 4:44:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk3yCa43FDQ&t=284s
This needs the double jump because you can't wall-jump in 1-tile wide spaces, so slide-jump to get in, then double jump to get height.
edit: I don't vouch for the rest of this video, judging by some youtube comments some of the "earlies" are dubious

If you mean my wack-rear end tactic of bomb-jumping up, i don't have video of it and i doubt anyone else has done it, lol. But here's the gist of it:
It starts similarly to the video, diagonal ball-jump to put a cross bomb right below the ceiling blocks so all 3 blow up. I ball-jumped from the ledge, put a cross bomb under the ceiling, then dropped to the bottom.
Soon as you're on the bottom, ball jump and drop a cross bomb at the apex (cooldown will have just expired), then ball jump up again into the exploding cross bomb. While you're being propelled up, at ca. the 3rd explosion, lay a regular bomb. The cooldown on cross bombs is too long to propel you up all the way quickly enough, so this one gives you extra boost up while your next cross bomb comes off cooldown. Rinse and repeat that 2 or 3 times and you'll get up the shaft in less than the ~6 seconds it takes for the ceiling blocks to respawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
for the circular attack on the last boss, one thing that helped was gravity dropping when going downward instead of screw attacking. i think it's faster and gave me more chances to do damage

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Breadallelogram posted:

Has anyone seen the ending screens in full resolution anywhere online? Best I've seen is 720x1280 or a 1080p video with some guy's watermark

4k cleaned up versions of all of them, courtesy of the Metroid Dread speedrunner discord:

https://mega.nz/file/xYZ20DgZ#f49U2ScZ1wM6qfV7I8cOeAKwC7brWggmcaQ-F4CFbpk

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
You know, there's one thing I wish would have happened toward the end:

After Samus starts getting all Metroid-grabby, I really wish you could use that ability outside of cutscenes. Like your melee attack becomes a grab+hold that drains life. I guess I haven't tried but has anyone tried to melee an enemy with Metroid Suit on? I mean Hyper Beam is obviously the go-to but I haven't stopped to try melee'ing anything.

Also, I doubt it's in the game because the last item is well, the last item, but has anyone tried to figure out the Crystal Flash? There would be very few use-cases that late but it'd be a cool easter egg.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

TeaJay posted:

Thanks for the tips. On my recent runs I tend to take damage by simply failing space jump, not jumping again at the right time and falling down. Phase 2 generally seems to have a lack of openings on the boss.

He doesn’t have any particular openings in phase 2 but he doesn’t have the shield, so you’re free to just shoot him wherever and whenever you can. In the rapid fire attack, I like to sneak in a shot on the way down as I’m doing the dodge.

XavierGenisi fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 16, 2021

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Please use spoilers when, especially when talking about the end of the game. Tia

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Complaining about the boss fight helped again, managed to beat him. Last phase wasn't terribly hard compared to the previous ones.

I was honestly already going "What, ANOTHER boss??" at the end but then realized it was just a gimmick

Great game. 11.02 with 65% items.

It's odd that I did a whole lot less backtracking for items this time. A lot of it was the game mechanics of blocking your routes as you went. Some of them were behind some awful speedboost tricks so I didn't feel like scouring the map after I got all the items, rather wanted to finish the game.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 16, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Does anyone have a breakdown of the damage values for each weapon? I know some people online have been debugging the game.

Things like is the wide charge beam better than the missiles, etc.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

4k cleaned up versions of all of them, courtesy of the Metroid Dread speedrunner discord:

https://mega.nz/file/xYZ20DgZ#f49U2ScZ1wM6qfV7I8cOeAKwC7brWggmcaQ-F4CFbpk

perfect, thank you for sharing

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, I'm a bit stuck I just got the space jump after beating the twin robot boss. I can't seem to find anywhere else to go now in the zone I'm in and the last zone I can get back to doesn't let me backtrack to the rest of the world map.

Any general pointers on where I'm supposed to go?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kin posted:

So, I'm a bit stuck I just got the space jump after beating the twin robot boss. I can't seem to find anywhere else to go now in the zone I'm in and the last zone I can get back to doesn't let me backtrack to the rest of the world map.

Go to Burenia - there's a new path you can access with the space jump.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Kin posted:

I'm a bit stuck I just got the space jump after beating the twin robot boss.
There's a new door you can reach in Burenia.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

stev posted:

That's the last item I got and it took me loving ages. Nailing every element of the sequence in one go is a real challenge.

Okay, I forgot who mentioned it earlier but this one can be really easy, only hard part being that first dash and store. I just got it on my first try after not playing for a few days because that segment was bugging me. You dash, go down, and do not shoot through the blocks. You just stand on the blocks, start the shinespark, aim it casually diagnal to the slop, and you dash, slide once under the ledge and then store. you can then casually jump over the slope and launch your shine spark. No mid-air maneuvers needed at all, all the shineparks can be done in a chill manner, standing still, with a little wiggle room even.

mid-air dashes are a trap!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

Go to Burenia - there's a new path you can access with the space jump.

So, that's my problem. I can't seem to find a way out of Ferenia that doesn't just take me back to Ghavoran. Like i seem stuck in the upper half. The only route on my map that seems to lead to the lower half is through an ice cave and i don't have the upgrade to deal with the cold yet.

Then when i head back to Ghavoran, there's no way out of the upper right section.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

Does anyone have a breakdown of the damage values for each weapon? I know some people online have been debugging the game.

Things like is the wide charge beam better than the missiles, etc.

Power Beam - 25 (Charged - 75)
Wide Beam - 25 (Charged - 75)
Plasma Beam - 50 (Charged - 150)
Wave Beam - 80 (Charged - 240)
Hyper Beam - 999999
Grapple Beam - 25
Missile - 100
Super Missile - 300
Storm Missile - 300
Ice Missile - 400
Bomb - 80
Cross Bomb - 400
Power Bomb - 800

Kin posted:

So, that's my problem. I can't seem to find a way out of Ferenia that doesn't just take me back to Ghavoran. Like i seem stuck in the upper half. The only route on my map that seems to lead to the lower half is through an ice cave and i don't have the upgrade to deal with the cold yet.

You can also get to there through Dairon.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 16, 2021

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

Yeah, but how do i get from the upper half of Ferenia to the lower. From where i picked up the space jump there's no way down to the transports to Dairon except through a frozen room.

edit: looked up a guide. The janky assed water double jumping controls are what was blocking me from getting to the green teleporter. I thought that section was a puzzle to return to after getting the gravity suit or whatever lets you move in water normally.

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 16, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Beat it. 12:49 and 100%. I'm not inclined to kill myself trying to speedrun it for jpegs. Definitely GOTY material and I'm already craving the next one (and wanting Prime 4 more than ever).

The wildest thing to me is how the story really doesn't make a big deal out of actual living Chozo being there and behind everything. Samus doesn't seem remotely surprised at any point.

I wonder what specifically Sakamoto meant when he said this is the end of the current story arc. Did he mean the Chozo story? The X? Or the saga of Samus killing, saving, then becoming the Metroid race?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I love the sequence breaks in this game. I'm doing a hard run and so far I sequence broke:
Bomb
Grapple Beam
Screw attack

I would've done Gravity Suit too but I'm really bad at shinesparking into a ramp then extending the spark again.

The speed runs of this game are already really incredibly to watch. The world record is 1:49:21 (in game time).

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Kin posted:

Yeah, but how do i get from the upper half of Ferenia to the lower. From where i picked up the space jump there's no way down to the transports to Dairon except through a frozen room.

edit: looked up a guide. The janky assed water double jumping controls are what was blocking me from getting to the green teleporter. I thought that section was a puzzle to return to after getting the gravity suit or whatever lets you move in water normally.

You aren't actually stuck in Ghavoran. Remember the space jump works underwater.

more of a hint: You are trying to get to the green teleporter, which should be on your map in Ghavoran, and real close to the tram to Ferenia

edit: wow gently caress I somehow managed to miss that you had already figured it out.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 17, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

stev posted:

Beat it. 12:49 and 100%. I'm not inclined to kill myself trying to speedrun it for jpegs. Definitely GOTY material and I'm already craving the next one (and wanting Prime 4 more than ever).

The wildest thing to me is how the story really doesn't make a big deal out of actual living Chozo being there and behind everything. Samus doesn't seem remotely surprised at any point.

I wonder what specifically Sakamoto meant when he said this is the end of the current story arc. Did he mean the Chozo story? The X? Or the saga of Samus killing, saving, then becoming the Metroid race?

I remember reading in this very thread that he meant the story of Samus Aran and her dealings with the creatures called Metroids.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Finished just under 14 hours for 100%. Probably would have been closer to 11 if not for the accidental sequence break and however long my daughter just jumped around in the water shooting squids or whatever they are.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Howdy, just peeking in to say Zero Mission rules.

I've never played much Metroid. In fact, I was one of those dudes that thought Samus was a guy up until Melee. I played regular Metroid 2 on the 3DS and enjoyed the experience enough, then a couple months ago I went through Super Metroid on the Switch, that was really good and I can see how it was genre defining. Now I wanna do Zero Mission and Fusion before I jump on this copy of Dread I bought at launch.

Zero Mission is much tinier, but it's still giving me the good exploration brain juice, specially when I did the whole area that gives you the power to grab ledges before going into the zone that tells you to gently caress off until you can grab ledges. Playing on an emulator with the dualsense controller might be a factor, but frankly it just controls much, much better than Super. Can't wait to join y'all in the dreadzone in a few weeks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Hyper Beam - 999999
Grapple Beam - 25
Missile - 100
Super Missile - 300
Storm Missile - 300
Ice Missile - 400
Bomb - 80
Cross Bomb - 400
Power Bomb - 800

The wide beam doesn't do three times the damage? My life is a lie

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
That has to be damage/shot and Wide Beam shoots 3. The damage is near-identical to Super Metroid in function but unlike Super, each shot is its own entity because you can definitely shoot a Wide Beam at an angle and have two shots hit terrain and the 3rd hit the target.

I'm curious if the shots from Dispersion are separate/additive to the Charge Shot. Or if they're just shots that partially penetrate terrain. If you mash buttons, I can see how Plasma/Wave can out-DPS Super/Ice Missiles but I don't like dedicating a finger to it. There are some videos of spamming it so hard there's no space between shots. Also, I have to believe the Storm Missiles, which fire in 3 round bursts, do 100/shot for a total of 300. Difference is that you you can usually get 3-4 homing icons on them and they're almost guaranteed to hit. There might also be modifiers on bosses or certain enemies that take extra damage from Storm Missiles because of the "does extra damage to Electrical"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
kind of dedicating a finger to either method. I think seeing dps might be helpful. I feel like a pretty casual button tap of two normal shots would beat the speed of firing one missile. A little easier to move and fire with just normal shots, less precision required with more little windows to fire off little volleys.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TaurusOxford posted:

Hyper Beam - 999999
Grapple Beam - 25
Missile - 100
Super Missile - 300
Storm Missile - 300
Ice Missile - 400
Bomb - 80
Cross Bomb - 400
Power Bomb - 800

CuddleCryptid posted:

The wide beam doesn't do three times the damage? My life is a lie

Note that the damage values listed for the beams are only for one beam. If you hit all 3 beams, triple the damage numbers. Storm Missile is only if you hit all 3 missiles in 1 volley, they only do 100 damage each. They do pierce i-frames though.

Also for those of you familiar with the GBA games, Plasma Beam doesn't deal damage on every frame here. Nor in Samus Returns. It's just a damage increase.

Don't take these values entirely as the gospel as some enemies and bosses have damage resistance or weaknesses to specific weapons. On a related note for the last upgrade Power Bombs are actually an instant kill on mooks. It only deals 800 damage if it's against an entity it can't kill, such as mini-bosses and bosses.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 17, 2021

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Only just picked up the game up and holy poo poo, the yellow EMMI is a loving monster :psyduck: Samus feels so fluid and fast but she might as well have tank controls if that thing sees you.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Ok on (late boss spoiler) Giant Lava X monster (Experiment Z-57?) HOW in the gently caress do you dodge the double arm swing? If I try to space jump in the middle I get hit by the boss, if I try to stay center left / right I get hit by the arm and if I try to stay below the bosses head I get hit during the swipe.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

Ok on (late boss spoiler) Giant Lava X monster (Experiment Z-57?) HOW in the gently caress do you dodge the double arm swing? If I try to space jump in the middle I get hit by the boss, if I try to stay center left / right I get hit by the arm and if I try to stay below the bosses head I get hit during the swipe.

The timing is a big part of it. You have to wait to jump right when he opens his arms up wide to do the double downward slash, otherwise you get hit on the upswing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SalTheBard posted:

After dodging the first 2 swipes, land in the center and wait a moment to jump.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
A little over 6 hours in game time for the initial clear with a bit more than 50% last weekend, 8:02 for the clean-up to 100% this weekend. Spending a lot of time in Samus Returns dicking around with whether or not I could grab a power up and painstakingly leaving behind markers, I kinda just plowed through without giving any time towards stuff I assumed I couldn't get yet or doing any backtracking once I got new tools in Dread. The actual map clean-up in Samus Returns was swift and mostly painless once you actually had everything and I figured that would be the case here as well. There were one or two tricky to find rooms that required scouring the map to find a little tiny illuminated outline of a corner of a room I hadn't found, but the biggest time sinks in the remainder were definitely some of the more fucky Spineshark puzzles. Y'all know and have gif'd the ones.

Putting a week between main-pathing and item-exploring definitely warmed me up on the game; I loved it overall but also felt kinda cold at the end DESPITE really enjoying it, and stepping aside for a few days to come back and finish it up helped me a lot. Top tier Metroid, though I'll prolly keep juggling Fusion and Zero Mission for my favorites.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kinda sad to think that besides Prime 4, this is the last Metroid game. I wonder if it’s cause Sakamoto’s getting old or if Nintendo just wants to put a cap on a series that doesn’t have both domestic and international appeal.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the end of a series before, come to think of it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Kinda sad to think that besides Prime 4, this is the last Metroid game. I wonder if it’s cause Sakamoto’s getting old or if Nintendo just wants to put a cap on a series that doesn’t have both domestic and international appeal.

Oh, yeah. They're totally stopping the series after a record setting success. Companies hate money, and when they say something is a finale, that's it. They're done.

That's why they only released one Final Fantasy.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Pollyanna posted:

Sakamoto literally said this won't be the last "Metroid" game, but it might be the last game with Metroid in the title.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

when it said "See You Next Mission!" it wasn't lying was it :ohdear:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The sequel will be called something like Dread 2: Samus Returns Again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pollyanna posted:

Sakamoto clarified that they meant this was the last game that was going to be dealing with the creature/enemy Metroids but that it was also setting up a new arc and Samus would be returning in future titles.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Zore posted:

Sakamoto clarified that they meant this was the last game that was going to be dealing with the creature/enemy Metroids but that it was also setting up a new arc and Samus would be returning in future titles.

which makes me think future game will be more heavily linked with Chozo, in one way or another. But I do wonder how many are even left at this point, because they still seemed to be a dying race in Dread.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Another game where you deal with Chozo allies like the Luminoth in Prime 2 would be pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I tried to get the shinespark kill on the Experiment in Cataris but the first time I got it, it didn't register I hit him, and the second time it didn't register AND I took damage from a swipe. The third time it wouldn't stop screw attacking so I gave up and just shot it to death. gently caress you too I guess.

Also lol the storm missile phase is just "can you sweep this before the aoe pulse hurts you"