Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I'll have 16 (15 good years thanks to a NOSC fuckup) in March and gently caress it I'm out. The Reserves have been a loving travesty and I should have just cut ties completely at 10 instead of doing all of this bs.

I am the Mr Glass to Crabdads David Dunn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

PneumonicBook posted:

Lol

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Red Crown posted:

Coming up on six years. The Navy has yet to gently caress me over, but it keeps up with the papercuts. Slice by slice. I feel like I'm in a bad relationship: "just think of the good times," I tell myself at 3AM being force fed Fox News on watch. "I'm sure things will be just like the good old times soon!"

You're not allowed to watch TV on watch

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Grip it and rip it posted:

You're not allowed to watch TV on watch

I'm ashore. And believe me, I don't have a choice in the matter.

Laranzu posted:

Be careful. Next thing you know you're at 10 or more years and considering getting kicked in the balls for 10 more years just for the medical /retirement.

I'm sunk costing hard even right now. I tried looking at the normal people insurance marketplace and immediately felt grateful for the warm, if constricting and oppressive embrace of TriCare.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PneumonicBook posted:

I'll have 16 (15 good years thanks to a NOSC fuckup) in March and gently caress it I'm out. The Reserves have been a loving travesty and I should have just cut ties completely at 10 instead of doing all of this bs.

Owe. I just hit 6 years with 3 and 1/2 active. About to reenlist. If my application to the USNO gets accepted I’ll be in hog heaven.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

I left the reserve after 14 years and making Chief.

I miss the Sailors; I miss the joint mission; I don't miss any of the Navy/NOSC loving bullshit

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Crab Dad posted:

Owe. I just hit 6 years with 3 and 1/2 active. About to reenlist. If my application to the USNO gets accepted I’ll be in hog heaven.

Crab Dad gonna do a lot of navel gazing.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

US Naval Observatory?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Are you saying you are going to be VEEP? What a career swing!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I've got some career contemplation to do after this tour, because I'll be right around the 14 year mark and it's the last time I'll get to fly regularly. It's been pretty good so far, but getting to do nerd poo poo in a Hawkeye is something I really love, so getting off that track is going to be a blow to job satisfaction. Assuming I stick it out to 20, anything after this is most likely going to be more oriented towards setting up a post-Navy career, which has some promising options. Getting into the MQ-25 world seems pretty interesting and a major growth area right now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

US Naval Observatory?

Yeah I served for 6 months there back in 2018 and loved it. Was able to putter around and do rate related work all day every day. Was invited back and offered some more long term orders but I just got a promotion in my civilian job and I want to focus on that for a few years.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Anyone here a member of the US Naval Institute and wouldn't mind letting me use their member discount? There are some books I want to buy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

McNally posted:

Anyone here a member of the US Naval Institute and wouldn't mind letting me use their member discount? There are some books I want to buy.

DM me.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Is Everett cool?

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
No. Seattle is nice though.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I'm all seriousness, it wasn't a bad spot in 2006. I could afford a cheap apartment on Rucker near the base as an E-3 and the teriyaki place across the street from it was nice.

Kinda sucks having the big NEX and Commissary be 45 minutes away in Smokey Point, though. Whoever approved that plan ought to be shot. Everett Community College is a good spot to take a Tuition Assistance class or two.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

piL posted:

Is Everett cool?

Nah. Feels like just a place to live. However it's close to Seattle as mentioned.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Too bad. I'll try to enjoy Seattle at least then.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

piL posted:

Too bad. I'll try to enjoy Seattle at least then.

Hey you could always visit me in Port Orchard! I mean the towns nothing special but it has me!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’d definitely try to steal some of Crab Dads Navy luck if I was still in

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Crab Dad posted:

Hey you could always visit me in Port Orchard! I mean the towns nothing special but it has me!

hell yeah lemme just pop right over real quick after wo--

Only registered members can see post attachments!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’d definitely try to steal some of Crab Dads Navy luck if I was still in

He is like a magic lamp, just rub him in the right way

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wrennic_26 posted:

The investigation report into the Bonhomme Richard burning in San Diego in July was just published — interestingly the command inquiry recommends extensive consequences (page 341) for the entire chain of command shipboard and the port, including the previous CO, rather than junior enlisted; though the criminal investigation seems to focus on an E2.

https://www.secnav.navy.mil/foia/re...20Oct%2021).pdf

Executive summary starts on .pdf page 19, narrative on 32, findings on 265.

Noticed:

Early on, some Chiefs did not don firefighting gear out of concern for their digicams (pg 35 point 25)

A San Diego firefighter spotted a change in the burn smoke and conditions and warned of a need to immediately evacuate; 90 seconds after all personnel were out, there was a massive explosion (pg 56 point 94)

Significant leadership internal conflict and confusion (pg 60)

An infrared drone helped image the fire during response (pg 75)

Drama within Repair Division, medals given out for nonfunctional anti fire foam system (page 113)

Broken 1MC ship’s phone system (pg 121 point 415)

Unauthorized lube movements (pg 124 point 441)

So — this was deep in Covid times, 55 personnel were unavailable to respond that day due to sick in quarters or restriction of movement, and I am no engineer even remotely capable of handling this situation, so cannot criticize; I think the report is interesting though as a cautionary tale for anyone responsible for other people.

Watch out for the slow creep of entropy, things can go to absolute dogshit very quickly.

(Edit: fixed link, big .pdf takes a minute to load)

Navy Thread 2021: Unauthorized lube movements

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Navy Thread 2021: Unauthorized lube movements

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cerekk posted:

hell yeah lemme just pop right over real quick after wo--

Fine I’ll meet people in downtown Seattle for dinner. The ferry ride back to Bremerton is always a loving hoot at the end of the evening. Drunk junior sailors being themselves.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

piL posted:

Is Everett cool?

It is only 1 hour and 15 minutes to Snoqualmie pass, and I think they have pretty decent military discounts. If you have never been skiing it is a lot of fun.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The drive up I-5 to British Columbia is :swoon:, too. The Cascades aren't the Rockies, but they're pretty and majestic *enough* to impress my East Coast rear end.

Haven't lived near a Big Mountain since Etna at Sigonella.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Nice, thanks for the advice everyone! I'm still over a year out from maybe being there and was mainly trying to figure out whether I should be disappointed.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Naw don't be disappointed. It's a nice broader area even if Everett is mostly an industrial suburb. I think most of the commands there are pretty decent, too, though my info is all old.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I mean it's the loving navy, be disappointed in everything.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Will you be at a seagoing command? Is there any chance your ship goes to Bremerton for a yard period? That can make things lovely.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I will be. There is no yards period that isn't lovely, but I understand that's an awful commute.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Destroyers don’t go to Bremerton for yard periods only the carriers and subs.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Destroyers don’t go to Bremerton for yard periods only the carriers and subs.

Destroyers don't go into the yards at all, that's why they're built to be single-use consumables. Just launch, deploy, and throw away!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Madurai posted:

Destroyers don't go into the yards at all, that's why they're built to be single-use consumables. Just launch, deploy, and throw away!

DDG 501, Kaiten-class destroyer

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Madurai posted:

That's clearly LCSs role in the fleet.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Will you be at a seagoing command? Is there any chance your ship goes to Bremerton for a yard period? That can make things lovely.

If a person doesn't have kids or a very good reason for doing otherwise, move to the peninsula instead of dealing with that ferry. It is an awful place. Setting up base in Poulsbo and just taking the Mukilteo Ferry in the morning while stationed in Everett is also an option. I know a couple of people that did that. Boeing traffic is the main issue but I think they left early enough to make it work.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The drive up I-5 to British Columbia is :swoon:, too. The Cascades aren't the Rockies, but they're pretty and majestic *enough* to impress my East Coast rear end.

Haven't lived near a Big Mountain since Etna at Sigonella.

Whistler is also like 3.5 hours and is highly recommended for a 3 day trip where you don't look at the bill until after the fact.

e: 4 hours and change with a little extra for the border. Beautiful drive though.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 22, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Banff is ~technically~ doable in ~10-12 hours if you get an early start, but driving the Trans-Canada Highway with weather is a bit spicy.

It's a stupid short flight to Calgary and then an hour drive from there in a rental.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Thronde posted:

That's clearly LCSs role in the fleet.

Lol the LCS' sit in the yards longer than most ships I've worked on, it's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

piL posted:

I will be. There is no yards period that isn't lovely, but I understand that's an awful commute.

If you're going to a carrier prepare to get completely hosed when your ship goes to PSNS one way or another.

If you're an outdoorsy type Everett is close to both the Arlington and Granite Falls terminus of Mountain Loop Highway, which is chock full of insanely beautiful hikes and great camping spots, all of which are free with a military "America the Beautiful" pass. It's one of my favorite places on earth, but I could be biased growing up near there.

Everett itself is kinda a dump, but you can probably afford rent there still, unlike most of the rest of Western WA.

Complete side note, we're essentially confined to the boat now, with both crews from 726 taking our little hangout spot with wifi where we can drink and stuff, along with our berthing barge. They've even taken over our little tent thing topside where we could smoke and dick around on our phones. I'm certainly not surprised, with how long I've been in, but the rage I feel at the Navy for yet again failing to take care of my loving sailors is deep and seething.

On that note, something I forgot to mention when I was complaining about 21 class berthing is something called "mega mat" which is a TR mod that's a 10x2 configuration of mattresses laid directly next to each other, no dividers of any sort, so it's essentially one giant mattress with 20 people sleeping on it, rolling onto each other and poo poo, and of course completely COVID unsafe. So with the loss of berthing we have sailors forced to sleep there every night, completely unseperated from their shipmates.

I don't have to deal with it personally, because I'm an ancient 1st class, but I don't loving like watching my sailors deal with it.

I'm pretty mentally unwell at the moment, and I can't wait to be home.
Sorry for using this forum to complain about it .