Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well, I gave it a shot but I’m out because this show relies too much on the “genius master plan where everything is impossibly planned out even if it looks like a failure” trope which is loving dumb.

Mr. “my math only predicts trends not individuals” somehow manages to set in motion a master plan that requires Gale to have been at the wrong place at the wrong time to witness a murder and escape in a lifeboat that looks like it was really meant for Raych, and also requires her to not only be a math prodigy but also an expert space navigator.

But the ship was clearly designed for Raych and not Gaal? She manages to open it only by using the knife-key he gave her (which is kinda dumb but only as a Cinemasins nitpick).

And she doesn’t use her navigation skills for anything except satisfying her own curiosity so I don’t see how you’re getting that this was “required” for the plan.

It seems clear to me that the ship was set up by Raych for Hari to arrive via coffin delivery where someone on Hari’s home planet would presumably know what to do.

Gaal being there is a deviation not a planned outcome.

Edit: still not clear whether Raych meant to be caught or not, but probably not, he just sacrificed himself because there was only one pre programmed pod and he figured Gaal would be convicted and thrown an out an airlock as well (which, again is kinda dumb in a Cinemasins sense as Raych escaping would have likely exonerated her).

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I somehow thought the big thing the foundation had to offer were small batteries. That is their secret sauce.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Edit: still not clear whether Raych meant to be caught or not, but probably not, he just sacrificed himself because there was only one pre programmed pod and he figured Gaal would be convicted and thrown an out an airlock as well (which, again is kinda dumb in a Cinemasins sense as Raych escaping would have likely exonerated her).

My thought is it was Raych calling an audible. Gaal was totally not meant to witness Hari's death. I'm guessing that the original plan was Kill Hari>Get the gently caress out using the pod>continue on with whatever. However Gaal being present led Raych to sacrificing himself to save her.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Why wouldn't the shield generator things have back up power? Also I get that they're supposed to be a bunch of researchers but is the concept of cover non existent in the 12,000s? These are minor complaints, still enjoying the show and curious to see where it goes.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Proteus Jones posted:

My thought is it was Raych calling an audible. Gaal was totally not meant to witness Hari's death. I'm guessing that the original plan was Kill Hari>Get the gently caress out using the pod>continue on with whatever. However Gaal being present led Raych to sacrificing himself to save her.

That was the impression I got.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Why wouldn't the shield generator things have back up power? Also I get that they're supposed to be a bunch of researchers but is the concept of cover non existent in the 12,000s? These are minor complaints, still enjoying the show and curious to see where it goes.

I think you can explain any dumb actions by the foundationists by saying they are PhDs.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Collateral posted:

I somehow thought the big thing the foundation had to offer were small batteries. That is their secret sauce.

It wasn't just batteries, but they had to survive on very limited resources so they actually did real science to miniaturize basically everything so they used less metal.

But that's also supposed to be like at least a century down the road after Terminus is founded.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
One of the big themes in the books is Foundation creating a fake religion called Scientism and exerting enormous influence on the Four Kingdoms via its priests, who tend to the technology it shares with each kingdom. If the show brings that into the fold, it would be ironic — imagine Gale, whose own planet created a religion to ban math and science, comes up with the concept of creating a religion of math and science...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Collateral posted:

Sort of, but that’s just a side effect. Their big piece of leverage was they still could use nuclear power when the rest of the Periphery had lost the ability to produce and maintain nuclear devices.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

One of the themes of the Empire is that their technological achievement was once very high, but they long ago stopped improving anything and as of the time depicted no longer know how to repair the most complex of the ancients' accomplishments.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If the show writer take the trope of Raych is the good guy and he only killed Seldon because Seldon asked to be killed it would annoy the hell out of me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, the fact that they made collapse immediate and obvious with the star bridge terrorist attack in the first episode annoyed me a little bit, because, at least as far as concerns me (I'll spoiler this just in case, but it's not really a spoiler, just how Trantor/the Empire is presented in the first book) at the time Hari Seldon makes his prediction/prophecy/calculation that the Empire will fall and Trantor be destroyed in 500 years that decline and fall is not yet really apparent at all to anyone, Trantor very much still seems to be doing fine, even pretty great, and the Empire appears as strong as ever. What signs of decline there are are pretty slightm such as stagnation of science and modes of thinking and discourse and direct control giving way to indirect/independent rule on the extreme periphery (of an empire consisting of 25 million settled worlds). And that's part of what makes Hari Seldon appeara so suspect, not that he's stating something that's obvious to all who will just open their eyes, but that he's predicting, and preparing for, the fall of a civilization long before it's begun to be obvious that this is what's going to happen, which makes people anxious, uncomfortable and angry.

I dunno, it didn't look like America was done after :911: but here we are, just twenty years later...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sort of, but that’s just a side effect. Their big piece of leverage was they still could use nuclear power when the rest of the Periphery had lost the ability to produce and maintain nuclear devices.

:actually:
You spelled "atomics" incorrectly.
:crossarms:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that no one has uttered the words "atomics" or "atom blaster" yet are my only complaint about this series

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rutibex posted:

The fact that no one has uttered the words "atomics" or "atom blaster" yet are my only complaint about this series

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I was pleased with the first couple episodes and all of its additions, but now I've become disappointed.

The books are fast paced and much more episodic, here they are milking everything for as much as they can. And all the "character" additions aren't working as much to me, I really don't care about Gaal or Salvor. I want them to be pieces to make the next cool book part happen, not whatever they are now.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:actually:
You spelled "atomics" incorrectly.
:crossarms:
:actually: :actually: nope.

Salvor Hardin uses “nuclear” and the trader dudes after the priesthood call their devices “nucleics”.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Arglebargle III posted:

One of the themes of the Empire is that their technological achievement was once very high, but they long ago stopped improving anything and as of the time depicted no longer know how to repair the most complex of the ancients' accomplishments.

It'd be nice if they showed us this.
Like a scene saying they can't rebuild the space elevator because they just straight up can't remember how.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah they really need to populate this empire. An establishing shot on Anacreon or Thespis would be really helpful, even a 1970s style matte painting with some actors composited into the foreground.

It would be nice if we had some scenes where Lee Pace tries to actually do some ruling and fix some problems only to be stymied at every turn. Kind of like the news today!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 16, 2021

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I really don't like the pacing of this show. They end episode 2 with a big dramatic cliffhanger and then they just "30ish years later" it and instead we gotta see some boring stuff with characters we don't care about. Then they start this episode with a lengthy flashback filled with 80% stuff we already knew or could safely assume.

It kinda feels like two separate shows, the pretty good and interesting Empire Bros scenes and the Generic Sci Fi Show Foundation Scenes. All that's missing from them is being shot in a forest outside Vancouver. It kinda reminds me of Sense8 and how certain storylines were shot by different teams and varied in quality a lot.

The show often looks real good though, I liked the first book in the series, only one I've read, so I'll keep watching even if this isn't at all what I was expecting lol. I was thinking it would be a bit more episodic with each 'seldon crisis' as one or two episodes. The returning characters would be the ones who make appearances throughout the books through various means and the Empire Bros. Then the lead character for each arc would be a guest star of sorts. I don't know how the rest of the series goes but I think that version could have been fun. Easier to get big actors for shorter parts too usually. I don't hate the cast but there's a lot of characters who are boring or feel under-utilized.

There's not a lot airing right now so I will likely keep waiting for it to get better. There's clearly a lot of thought and passion put into the show it's just been kinda janky so far, I can see it turning into something special eventually.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It feels like they are expecting you to always be paying attention when the time changes happen but then they don't make the show interesting enough to want to always be paying attention.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
it's not the show's fault that smartphones have ruined your attention span :nallears:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

stephenthinkpad posted:

If the show writer take the trope of Raych is the good guy and he only killed Seldon because Seldon asked to be killed it would annoy the hell out of me.

I mean.... that's pretty telegraphed... be prepared.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/home__planet/status/1448045059497070596

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I liked the one chick out smarting the computer

I liked the scene of the ship getting shot down

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
If there is one person who can set up the Second foundation, it is Salvor, since she's the one who has displayed strong psychic abilities when she "saw" the details of what the Anecreon leader had suffered.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Metropolis posted:

I really don't like the pacing of this show. They end episode 2 with a big dramatic cliffhanger and then they just "30ish years later" it and instead we gotta see some boring stuff with characters we don't care about. Then they start this episode with a lengthy flashback filled with 80% stuff we already knew or could safely assume.

Yeah, I was puzzled by that flashback -- it told us nothing we didn't already know. Maybe they felt they needed to re-introduce us to the character because we haven't seen her for an episode or two? I know audiences have short attention spans, but that seems kinda excessive if it's the case...

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

this show needs to just start throwing in plotlines from Isaac Asimov's back catalogue. Just everything at the wall, multiple plotlines running simultaneously and never resolved.

Or shoehorn all the characters into a small armada of miscellaneous spaceships. Then they can all run away from a runaway AI out to kill it's creator.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lampsacus posted:

this show needs to just start throwing in plotlines from Isaac Asimov's back catalogue. Just everything at the wall, multiple plotlines running simultaneously and never resolved.

Or shoehorn all the characters into a small armada of miscellaneous spaceships. Then they can all run away from a runaway AI out to kill it's creator.

They have robots in there and a throw away line about "spacers". That means that Robin Williams Bicentennial Man and Wil Smiths i Robot movie are in-continuity with this series.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rutibex posted:

They have robots in there. That means that Robin Williams Bicentennial Man and Wil Smiths i Robot movie are in-continuity with this series

Technically, they are. Asimov's Robots books and the Empire books are all in the same universe. Just vastly different time-frames.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Proteus Jones posted:

Technically, they are. Asimov's Robots books and the Empire books are all in the same universe. Just vastly different time-frames.

I'm really hoping we get to see the planet Solara. They are going to Helicon in the next episode so I'm sure they will find an excuse to throw Solara in there eventually.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Maybe they will just throw Will Smith in there in a cryopod as a season end cliffhanger.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Maybe they will just throw Will Smith in there in a cryopod as a season end cliffhanger.

Uncle Phil is going to have one hell of a time getting the Fresh Prince out of that one!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I'm really hoping we get to see the planet Solara. They are going to Helicon in the next episode so I'm sure they will find an excuse to throw Solara in there eventually.

Foundation-era Solaria would be a very interesting place to visit in the show, but introducing the planet where everyone stayed inside their houses Facetiming until the idea of human contact gives them a panic attack, while fun, is probably not what Apple (makers of the iPhone) wants for the show.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Solaria. The last spacer world.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lucky Starr shows up and buck rogers-blasts his way onto the prison ship

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yes, here, I have a complaint to make. Why does a post apocalyptic civilization living on Waterworld build their houses and the struts out of wood? Where did they even get the wood? Are we, the viewers, to actually believe that this is some kind of magic "non-rotting wood"?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

Yes, here, I have a complaint to make. Why does a post apocalyptic civilization living on Waterworld build their houses and the struts out of wood? Where did they even get the wood? Are we, the viewers, to actually believe that this is some kind of magic "non-rotting wood"?

The Empire may have supplied them the wood...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The Empire may have supplied them the wood...

There is apparently dry land still. The father mentions having to go further to do some farming due to the water rising.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Short answer -- there may still be dry land somewhere on the planet.

Long answer --

Synnax as depicted is really interesting. I don't think their problem is totally man-made climate change. The presence of rings on a rocky world suggests there's a really active satellite system going on. Rings don't last very long in terms of geologic time. This means that the tides are going to be complex. So complex that you need some advanced-for-the-15th-century math to figure out tides. Earth tides are easy to calculate because the only two bodies that really matter are the sun and moon. But even then, they take more doing than the average person is capable of. Tides with a planetary system with somewhere in the double digit satellites would be a nightmare to calculate without electronic computers.

So in my opinion what we see on screen suggest Synnax had some problems as a colony candidate in the first place with a very complex tide system -- and maybe navigation hazards in orbit. From what we see it's also probably larger than Earth to hold on to so many satellites. But it had a biosphere so it's better than 99.99% of other planets to colonize. When it was colonized, maybe the tides weren't such an issue. The seas were lower, or the next king tide was in 600 years or something. But now that the oceans generally are higher, the population is larger and more widely distributed into marginal areas, and accurate tide calendars no longer exist, the tides are a big problem. So long story short there may still be forests on the planet, but we have this large population of people in marginal habitation zones who are unwilling to make the changes necessary to survive. They could probably leave for somewhere more habitable, especially on a super-Earth. But their society makes that choice unthinkable.

When you look at the history of civilization collapse on Earth, the cases where there were really NO survivors are all cases where the necessary changes were obvious and people refused to make them.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 17, 2021

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Long answer --

I guarantee you've put more thought into this than the producers of this show. If you listen to the podcast they put out, they're all like "Wow science crazy, idgi lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Long answer --

Synnax as depicted is really interesting. I don't think their problem is totally man-made climate change. The presence of rings on a rocky world suggests there's a really active satellite system going on. Rings don't last very long in terms of geologic time. This means that the tides are going to be complex. So complex that you need some advanced-for-the-15th-century math to figure out tides. Earth tides are easy to calculate because the only two bodies that really matter are the sun and moon. But even then, they take more doing than the average person is capable of. Tides with a planetary system with somewhere in the double digit satellites would be a nightmare to calculate without electronic computers.

So in my opinion what we see on screen suggest Synnax had some problems as a colony candidate in the first place with a very complex tide system -- and maybe navigation hazards in orbit. From what we see it's also probably larger than Earth to hold on to so many satellites. But it had a biosphere so it's better than 99.99% of other planets to colonize. When it was colonized, maybe the tides weren't such an issue. The seas were lower, or the next king tide was in 600 years or something. But now that the oceans generally are higher, the population is larger and more widely distributed into marginal areas, and accurate tide calendars no longer exist, the tides are a big problem. So long story short there may still be forests on the planet, but we have this large population of people in marginal habitation zones who are unwilling to make the changes necessary to survive. They could probably leave for somewhere more habitable, especially on a super-Earth. But their society makes that choice unthinkable.

When you look at the history of civilization collapse on Earth, the cases where there were really NO survivors are all cases where the necessary changes were obvious and people refused to make them.

This was nice to read, a good enough post to kinda wish the producers could see it