Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1448674500619423749

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/Ollie_XVX/status/1448685441478180866

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:hai:

Sounds like a good way to get a rock through your windshield.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

MrYenko posted:

:hai:

Sounds like a good way to get a rock through your windshield.

Who do you think the cops will come after? The workers, or the cop who was throwing eggs?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
imagining Netflix forcing the music clearance department to become grips while IATSE is on strike and smiling to myself

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RC Cola posted:

Who do you think the cops will come after? The workers, or the cop who was throwing eggs?

If they’re a FoP department, they’ll probably come after the family of the workers.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A problem with the IATSE strike is that not all it’s members/locals are working under contracts up for negotiations now which means they cannot legally strike until those contracts are up. in the event of a strike, members may be in the position where they have to choose to either work or not cross picket lines, but it’s a personal choice and not legally striking. Then as I understand it you can be fired and also become ineligible for unemployment

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

that’s true and it’s reason #7338494 why taft Hartley can eat my entire rear end.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Snowy posted:

A problem with the IATSE strike is that not all it’s members/locals are working under contracts up for negotiations now which means they cannot legally strike until those contracts are up. in the event of a strike, members may be in the position where they have to choose to either work or not cross picket lines, but it’s a personal choice and not legally striking. Then as I understand it you can be fired and also become ineligible for unemployment

Anything working under the Theatrical Low Budget agreement (less than $11 million) is going to keep going, supposedly.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

complete and utter absolute respect for this imperial august mfer

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1449027138783436805

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1449032606633299969

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol I hope they unionize

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao at deere's weird "solution"

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I'm gonna die laughing when John Deere ends up with more union workers because they are such gently caress heads

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

RC Cola posted:

I'm gonna die laughing when John Deere ends up with more union workers because they are such gently caress heads

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So who’s doing the work of the salary workers while they’re crashing tractors and spending six hours picking a single part?

(Both of those are pretty loving rad examples of malicious compliance, btw.)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MrYenko posted:

So who’s doing the work of the salary workers while they’re crashing tractors and spending six hours picking a single part?

seems p clear those salary workers jobs aren’t really necessary lol

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

MrYenko posted:

If they got these guys doing 12 x 6, basically a double week on the line, it stands to reason they got guys doing 12 x 6 back covering the office too lol

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MrYenko posted:

A lot of the work can be put off to a degree with the Salaried stuff.

The managers who were overlooking the striking workers? Welp, you have no workers to manage, get on the floor!

A lot of the HR or accounting people managing these people's paychecks? Well the union workers aren't working, so you've got less work to do so half of your department is sent to the shop floor.

The engineers working in R&D? Yeah they can take a few months work off of that. The product lineup might be a bit weak in a year or two, but as long as they don't spend too long away from their jobs its recoverable.

And on and on like that.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
gently caress capital

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1449117491624558595

Zisky
May 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1449530271204880385?t=YAdxz7SgCU6mNSSbXkMUuQ&s=19

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
is there much precedent for union members rejecting a contract resulting in a worse contract or other bad consequences?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

seems like more sell out trash from trade union leadership. hope the rank and file reject it since these half measures don't cut it anymore. there were similar problems at the nabisco strike, for example, but entertainment industry workers have way more of a public profile to seize and I hope they choose to walk off for a better contract.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

can't believe they're pitching a 3% raise next year as "Living Wage Achieved".

Zisky
May 6, 2003

At first blush the turnaround issues seem to be resolved positively but yeah there's not much else to be happy about.

We'll see what the membership has to say about it, I know anecdotally reactions have already been mixed.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

seems like more sell out trash from trade union leadership. hope the rank and file reject it since these half measures don't cut it anymore. there were similar problems at the nabisco strike, for example, but entertainment industry workers have way more of a public profile to seize and I hope they choose to walk off for a better contract.

but they get to rest for TEN HOURS every day

Zisky
May 6, 2003

The ia_stories IG disabled comments on the announcement, lmao.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zisky posted:

At first blush the turnaround issues seem to be resolved positively but yeah there's not much else to be happy about.

We'll see what the membership has to say about it, I know anecdotally reactions have already been mixed.

curious how the vote turns out. this has to be settled in the next 24 hours right? the midnight Sunday deadline still holds?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zisky posted:

lol

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Zisky posted:

DANG WONDER WHY!!!

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1449570098818306049?s=21

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In Training posted:

can't believe they're pitching a 3% raise next year as "Living Wage Achieved".

At this point, a 3% raise every year for the duration of the contract isn’t even treading water.

Our 2016 contract got extended to 2026, and the 1.6% annual bump (on top of GS, so 2.6% for this year overall) suddenly looks like shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

In Training posted:

Yeah it's a terrible deal that changes very little from what was already agreed and wastes the ridiculous leverage they had. Not to mention dragging this out for even longer, allowing productions to steamroll ahead with even more ridiculous hours and Fraturdays to get wrapped before this gets struck down.

The 10 hour turnaround still means 14 hour days (and that's excluding travel, from what I can tell). It should at the very least be 12 on, 12 off. I've no idea why IATSE leadership are congratulating themselves over this. The feedback below the line has been almost universally anger. Such a waste of an incredible opportunity to actually change something.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
IATSE contract might get voted down: https://variety.com/2021/film/news/iatse-deal-backlash-nothing-changed-1235091286/

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Strike fund!!

https://twitter.com/kksteffany/status/1449858419578396676

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

great stuff hell yea

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

It'll probably take weeks to ratify a vote, taking it well into the winter hiatus while every show is now pushing to wrap quickly with even more ridiculous hours and working lunches and all that.

Smart move really, a strike will be meaningless if productions are on break anyway. Still holding out hope there's some good in the finer details of the contract but I doubt it since, I assume, the bullet points released to the press were probably the best parts. Lotta people frustrated today after all that buildup and preparation

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
What a ridiculous way to squander solidarity and power.

sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

What a ridiculous way to squander solidarity and power.

sigh

What?