Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Protagonist posted:

perhaps we can just dump lots of very basey liquids into the ocean to counteract the acidity, like several gigatons of oven cleaner??

Just bazillions of boxes of baking soda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

kater posted:

I love all these scientists that presumably work their asses off to create poo poo that boils down to graphs used to teach econ 101. truly the more advanced science.

I will not only do this for our team but I will wear a lab coat too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Oxxidation posted:

has anyone actually figured out what’s killing them yet

last theory I heard was mutations from long term pesticide exposure or something

it's a lot of stuff

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
re: pesticides

if you all haven't read Silent Spring it should be next on your list, incredible work

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

last theory I heard was mutations from long term pesticide exposure or something

Well, RoundUp has an LD50 of like 1 microgram in bees and it's sprayed industrially worldwide (and residentially in some US states), so that's probably a good place to start.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Puppy Burner posted:

Well, RoundUp has an LD50 of like 1 microgram in bees and it's sprayed industrially worldwide (and residentially in some US states), so that's probably a good place to start.

interestingly a recent paper in the journal of applied ecology makes the suggestion that it's not actually glyphosate that is responsible for the deaths, but probably some kind of surfactant or other ingredient they're using that is damaging, at least to bumblebees:

"J App Ecol posted:

Pollinators underpin global food production, but they are suffering significant declines across the world. Pesticides are thought to be important drivers of these declines. Herbicides are the most widely applied type of pesticides and are broadly considered ‘bee safe’ by regulatory bodies who explicitly allow their application directly onto foraging bees. We aimed to test the mortality effects of spraying
the world's most popular herbicide brand (Roundup®) directly onto bumble bees Bombus terrestris audax.

We used three Roundup® products, the consumer products Roundup® Ready-To-Use and Roundup® No Glyphosate, the agricultural product Roundup® ProActive, as well as another herbicide with the same active ingredient (glyphosate), Weedol®. Label recommended pesticide concentrations were applied to the bees using a Roundup® Ready-To-Use spray bottle.

Bees exhibited 94% mortality with Roundup® Ready-To-Use® and 30% mortality with Roundup® ProActive®, over 24 hr. Weedol® did not cause significant mortality, demonstrating that the active ingredient, glyphosate, is not the cause of the mortality. The 96% mortality caused by Roundup® No Glyphosate supports this conclusion. Dose-dependent mortality caused by Roundup® Ready-To-Use, further confirms its acute toxicity. Roundup® products caused comprehensive matting of bee body hair, suggesting that surfactants, or other co-formulants in the Roundup® products, may cause death by incapacitating the gas exchange system.

These mortality results demonstrate that Roundup® products pose a significant hazard to bees, in both agricultural and urban systems, and that exposure of bees to them should be limited.

Synthesis and applications. Surfactants, or other co-formulants, in herbicides and other pesticides may contribute to global bee declines. We recommend that, as a precautionary measure until co-formulant identities are made public, label guidelines for all pesticides be altered to explicitly prohibit application to plants when bees are likely to be foraging on them. As current regulatory topical exposure toxicity testing inadequately assesses toxicity of herbicide products, we call for pesticide companies to release the full list of ingredients for each pesticide formulation, as lack of access to this information hampers research to determine safe exposure levels for beneficial insects in agro-ecosystems.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Puppy Burner posted:

While true, roundup for example has been used since the 70s. The same for industrial applications of pesticides and herbicides. Something else we don't know about has brought the hammer down on insects over the last decade.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

While true, roundup for example has been used since the 70s. The same for industrial applications of pesticides and herbicides. Something else we don't know about has brought the hammer down on insects over the last decade.

yes and no in that formulations can change without any of us ever knowing

but also yeah i mean obviously we've been doing worse and worse poo poo to the climate, which has knock on effects - there's also been microbial infestations

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

plastics

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Radirot posted:

gently caress you I love bees

that product is being discontinued, sorry. may i interest you in some giant killer hornets instead?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
watch it turn out to be all the pharmaceutical chemicals that have gotten into our water supply over the years that then end up used to water plants that bees pollinate

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

India

Brasil

US of A

Daily Mail so whatever but the images are :kiss: - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10092027/Earth-2500-Shocking-images-reveal-Amazon-barren-India-hot-live-in.html

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I think really only the Reddit group comprised of salt water home aquarium enthusiasts should be empowered due to their hard earned struggles to comment on this so called "paper" on ocean acidification.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i once ate at waffle house, arbys and taco bell in the same night and could dissolve toilets like a xenomorph so I posit that i, too, can speak to acidification

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Rectal Death Adept posted:

i once ate at waffle house, arbys and taco bell in the same night and could dissolve toilets like a xenomorph so I posit that i, too, can speak to acidification

please don't advocate self harm

things aren't that bad, yet

actually, i don't think things will ever be so bad to justify doing that to yourself

Metrodextrous
Aug 6, 2007

alright dude whatever

i hope ur asshole grows shut

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

that product is being discontinued, sorry. may i interest you in some giant killer hornets instead?

can you check in the back for more bumblebees? the last person who helped me did :)

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

we pwned those other countries

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Have we tried breathing less?

Just inhale, one mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi, exhale?

That should help, right?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Now I'm imagining what's left of the Orcas banding together to capsize cruise ships so they could devour the tasty fattened-up humans that fall out of the piñata.

gently caress don't stop. I'm almost there.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I've been stung by a bumblebee but it was the result of human error. My brother didn't tell me that his compost bin had been occupied by the bumblebees so when I dumped grass clippings on them they got angry and one stung me on the forehead.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
lol owned

Bumblebees are chill af, gotta really have hosed up to raise their ire

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mcbexx posted:

Have we tried breathing less?

Just inhale, one mississippi, two mississippi, three mississippi, exhale?

That should help, right?
do it for longer

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

sitchensis posted:

I found it.

This horror film will go to its final paroxysm

Mind if I steal this?

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

this is a few pages back, but they stopped automatically giving out single-use plastic bags in supermarkets in australia about three years ago, and after a brief national temper tantrum by old people, everybody just adjusted and now the situation is genuinely much better re: not seeing every second shrub and tree shrouded in discarded plastic bags. it's a drop in the ocean (sorry), but i think it did make a tiny difference and in the end it wasn't as socially catastrophic as the boomers claimed it would be. australians are almost as obnoxious and lead-poisoned as americans, so it opens up possibilities.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Dr. Furious posted:

Engineering a microbe to deal with plastic pollution by metabolizing it into carbon emissions.

mark immune posted:

Engineering a microbe to deal with carbon pollution by metabolizing it into plastic emissions.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Tekne posted:

the 1500 gigaton guillotine

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

i've given up on promoting revegetation to the public because people are just going to revegetate with the wrong poo poo in the wrong place and burn their asses down lmao. i'm going corporate. i'm becoming a business entity. i see the world through the eyes of rime

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
most of us aren't going to judge anymore

i'm trying to afford a spot in the domes through dogecoin accumulation

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Getting close to the end of Cadillac Desert and all the fish dying sounds like great news.

Nobody will have to worry about endangered species when destroying the local environment.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is china seriously not on there they burn coal like crazy

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Maybe it's excluding China because it's still a developing nation or something?

Edit:

You can take a look at the data yourself if you want to

https://twitter.com/jasonhickel/status/1449344756169981956

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Hubbert posted:

Mind if I steal this?

spread it far and wide

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

lol owned

Bumblebees are chill af, gotta really have hosed up to raise their ire

Yeah my response after the initial wtf was "oh damnit, sorry sorry I'll leave you alone please don't chase me I didn't know aaaahhhhhhh *trailing off into the distance*"

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

actionjackson posted:

oh does your bullshit right wing talking point turn out to be bullshit? who could have possibly seen this coming

"factoids" are an absolutely dogshit way of understanding things, if you can't draw the graph in your head to contextualize the factoids you hear IGNORE THEM

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

actionjackson posted:

the key part is "their fair share", China is enormous so they get an accordingly enormous share. They're putting out a lot of heat but not more than they were budgeted for, unlike everyone else in that chart

It's why Belgium outranks them on that chart even though Belgium is a tiny fraction of China

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
What kind of rear end in a top hat dumps grass clippings on a bumblebee. Thats like emptying a dumptruck of giant palm fronds on someone from a building. No wonder they were pissed.

Luckily we have killed most types of fauna large enough to threaten us

Whos laughing now

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rectal Death Adept posted:

What kind of rear end in a top hat dumps grass clippings on a bumblebee. Thats like emptying a dumptruck of giant palm fronds on someone from a building. No wonder they were pissed.

Luckily we have killed most types of fauna large enough to threaten us

Whos laughing now

The billionaires. Those guys are laughing pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

There are various existing approaches to measuring national responsibility for climate change. Negotiations and agreements under the UNFCCC are focused on current territorial emissions. Based on this approach, China's responsibility is more than double that of the USA, and India comes just behind the European Union (EU-28; table 1). When it comes to climate change, however, what matters is stocks of CO2 in the atmosphere, not annual flows; so responsibility must be measured in terms of each country's contribution to cumulative historical emissions.1, 2Using 1850 as the base year, the USA and the EU-28 are about twice as responsible as China, whereas India is responsible for only a small fraction of historical emissions (table 2). Table 1, Table 2 use the PRIMAP-Hist dataset,3 excluding forestry and other land use.