Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Kunabomber posted:

FWIW, BMW stalks have operated like this for at least 15 years. You get used to it. Or like a proper BMW owner, you dont use it :lol:

They actually started doing normal turn signals again a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

cruft posted:

You just hold it in the not all the way position and it blinks until you let go. My Honda worked this way too, which might be why I didn't find this quite as big a deal as other folks seem to.

Because a decade or more ago, every parts-bin soon-to-be-beater had a better solution.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
The only currently available small EVs in the US are the Bolt (might spontaneously combust?), Mini (short range), and the i3 (also short range, weird tire size) right?

If the range isn't a concern, which of those is the best?

This will be a 2nd car used mostly for grocery getting and stuff.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Spark EV is also around and owners in this thread have raved about it. The Leaf is also an option. If you are just looking fot a dirt cheap grocery getter those aren't bad choices.

Jimong5 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 17, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ioniq EV as well. Depending on your definition of small.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 17, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If you get the i3 without the range booster engine they’re apparently pretty bulletproof, but also BMW dealerships seem infamous for not wanting to really support them in a way that makes getting any repairs that you might need something of a pain.

But it’s also the one I’d get because I’m collector scum, and it’s far and away the most interesting and fun to drive of the bunch

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Post 2016 (I think) BMW fixed the dumb dual-sized tires on the i3. I think they're still a PITA to get and you basically have to blow $250 at the BMW dealer when you get a nail in em.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Saw my first mach e in the wild today. I've also seen more Tesla's than I've ever seen. Anywhere we went there was always at least one in the parking lot and saw a ton on the highway.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jimong5 posted:

Probably gonna look at a Mach E next but the local Ford dealers are looking shady and jacking the price on in stock models.

Yeah you can find them on lots for MSRP but may not be easy depending on where you live and they may not sit on the lot long.

Not sure what the wait time is for custom orders right now but can probably be figured out by googling, I know for a while it didn’t seem too bad (10 weeks?) but may be worse now.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
My Vegas trip (Niro EV) summarized:

That's not bad efficiency considering the driving on 10/8 and 10/12 was 80mph or faster for much of it and there were major climbs as well. Oh and judicious use of the heater on the ride back to San Diego.

As for charging my suggestion is to do your planning manually.

1. Use Google to find redundant charging stations at the locations on your route.

2. Verify availability with the dedicated apps for each charging service.

3. If you have a long stretch with only one possible charging station en-route, go to 80% or more in the charge just before that.

When I got to Baker (heading north) I had enough charge from Barstow to make it to Vegas, abet with a EV that really has over 240miles of range even with higher speeds.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh is that breaking down day by day? My car lists each power on and off as a separate line so I thought you went 360miles in one go for a sec.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Holy poo poo. I watch their channel and always lusted after all the tesla roadsters they had...

https://electrek.co/2021/10/17/gruber-motors-catches-on-fire-again-tesla-roadsters-lost/

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

FilthyImp posted:

Post 2016 (I think) BMW fixed the dumb dual-sized tires on the i3. I think they're still a PITA to get and you basically have to blow $250 at the BMW dealer when you get a nail in em.

If by dual-sized you mean bigger tires in the back they never stopped doing that, even in the 2021. And the tires are made special by Bridgestone so, in the US at least, Ecopia's are your only option. Costco carries them and they usually have pretty good sales on a set of 4.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

meatpimp posted:

Holy poo poo. I watch their channel and always lusted after all the tesla roadsters they had...

https://electrek.co/2021/10/17/gruber-motors-catches-on-fire-again-tesla-roadsters-lost/
Oof. That said, when you're modifying lithium battery packs you'd think fire control would be a primary design feature in their facility, especially since they've already had one before. High end fire suppression in the work area, sufficient separation in the storage area to minimize potential for fires to spread between vehicles, etc.

McPhearson posted:

If by dual-sized you mean bigger tires in the back they never stopped doing that, even in the 2021. And the tires are made special by Bridgestone so, in the US at least, Ecopia's are your only option. Costco carries them and they usually have pretty good sales on a set of 4.
Is changing wheels to use a more standard size not an option?

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 18, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

wolrah posted:

Oof. That said, when you're modifying lithium battery packs you'd think fire control would be a primary design feature in their facility, especially since they've already had one before. High end fire suppression in the work area, sufficient separation in the storage area to minimize potential for fires to spread between vehicles, etc.

Agreed. They knew the risks, it was reckless to not have a high-end fire suppression system installed.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

McPhearson posted:

If by dual-sized you mean bigger tires in the back they never stopped doing that, even in the 2021.

Somebody should call Ralph Nader

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

We went to test drive a 2021 Ioniq EV on Saturday and my wife loved it. So... on Friday, we're going to be the proud owners of our first electric vehicle.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Randalor posted:

We went to test drive a 2021 Ioniq EV on Saturday and my wife loved it. So... on Friday, we're going to be the proud owners of our first electric vehicle.

Nice! Congratulations! Tell us about the color and configuration!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Randalor posted:

You sick monster I know you have photos please post the pics

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 18, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

cruft posted:

Nice! Congratulations! Tell us about the color and configuration!

Blue Preferred, the Ultimate version didn't really have anything that she was wanting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You sick monster I know you have photos please post the pics I want to live vicariously through you since I would love that car but it is very much not going to be anywhere near me forever.

Amazingly enough, we don't have photos of it, but it was a bit too cold outside to be thinking of taking photos that morning.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Looked at the Mach E today, very solid and no stupid BS as far as I could tell. Wouldn't be a bad choice for anyone.

I'm ultimately gonna go with the Y for 3 reasons:
1.) I'm tall, and the top of the A pillar line where the windshield ends is up out of my main field of view and I really appreciate that. Driving lower slung cars just feels like I want to crane my neck down sometimes
2.) The Y's underfloor storage is MASSIVE and something that no other EV replicated. MY worry with the E is while the cargo space is definitely big the fastback is a little too fast for what I want and feels more like a slightly blown up version of my Volt, which in that case I may as well just keep the Volt
3.) blah blah supercharging blah

So just gonna hit this order car button to get in like for April which is a prefect amount of time for me and...

God drat it what did I do

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jimong5 posted:

Looked at the Mach E today, very solid and no stupid BS as far as I could tell. Wouldn't be a bad choice for anyone.

1.) I'm tall, and the top of the A pillar line where the windshield ends is up out of my main field of view and I really appreciate that. Driving lower slung cars just feels like I want to crane my neck down sometimes
2.) The Y's underfloor storage is MASSIVE and something that no other EV replicated. MY worry with the E is while the cargo space is definitely big the fastback is a little too fast for what I want and feels more like a slightly blown up version of my Volt, which in that case I may as well just keep the Volt

So just gonna hit this order car button to get in like for April which is a prefect amount of time for me and...

Keep an eye out here -> https://tesla-info.com/

I was able to find an inventory car out of state and get it shipped to me within a week vs waiting 4-6 months for my initial order. You hafta be quick though, by the time I hit the buy it now button for my MYP I saw 3 people post on a tesla forum they were trying to buy the same one.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Is really the image Tesla provides when you order? Interesting.

Congrats, though!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

:getin:

Both of you. As far as I'm concerned, anyone with an EV gets to be in the cool kids club. Even if you have a 2017 Nissan Leaf.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Is really the image Tesla provides when you order? Interesting.

Congrats, though!

Yep, I don't know what the reference is to, but it has been that way since at least 2019.

Jimong5 posted:

A note on all the "additional steps", you can upload your proof of insurance and all that other stuff, but if you are using a Tesla arranged loan do not fill that out until you are just days away from delivery and have a VIN visible on your account so you know there is a car (assuming you have good credit). Otherwise the initial credit offer will usually expire before delivery day and they will have to run it all over again. If they insist on having some payment method on file just select "cash" and you can change it later.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The past couple weeks, my Model 3's clock has been an hour behind. I never drove across any time zones, and it's been bugging me a little since it affects my ability to take advantage of off-peak charging. Rebooting didn't fix it so I searched online, and found that holding a touch on the on-screen clock refreshes it, and that did it! Such a weird fix but whatever.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The past couple weeks, my Model 3's clock has been an hour behind. I never drove across any time zones, and it's been bugging me a little since it affects my ability to take advantage of off-peak charging. Rebooting didn't fix it so I searched online, and found that holding a touch on the on-screen clock refreshes it, and that did it! Such a weird fix but whatever.

I remember having this stupid problem too, and cruft jr long-pressed the clock, and it fixed itself.

And I was thinking, what if we invented some sort of robot to long-press the clock for us? That would be some pretty high-tech poo poo! Too bad this is prohibitively expensive and there's no other way we could accomplish this feat with something like a software change.

I'm sure there's a good reason it's this way, maybe they were seeing the clock jump around all the time when people were near time zone borders, so they figured they should make it manual? I really don't understand it at all, my phone seems to handle this just fine.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cruft posted:

I remember having this stupid problem too, and cruft jr long-pressed the clock, and it fixed itself.

And I was thinking, what if we invented some sort of robot to long-press the clock for us? That would be some pretty high-tech poo poo! Too bad this is prohibitively expensive and there's no other way we could accomplish this feat with something like a software change.

I'm sure there's a good reason it's this way, maybe they were seeing the clock jump around all the time when people were near time zone borders, so they figured they should make it manual? I really don't understand it at all, my phone seems to handle this just fine.

The clock display probably doesn't get direct push updates from the GPS signal or cell towers because of reasons, even if all the other things in the car that rely on an accurate clock do. So I guess all you're doing with a long press is refreshing stale display data.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Charles posted:

Oh is that breaking down day by day? My car lists each power on and off as a separate line so I thought you went 360miles in one go for a sec.

I charged 2x for that 360mi (going to Vegas).

90% in Barstow just in case EVGO was dead in Baker (EA IS DEAD in Baker).

I planned on 80% but we had a decent lunch and it hit my DC charging limit.

Charged up to 80% in Baker because I knew we had more than 310 miles that day (events that evening) and we did.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Jimong5 posted:

Congrats! Don’t worry, everything will be fine! Also, I confirmed today at pushing the blinker stalk in the direction being signaled does, in fact, shut off the blinker. : )

Which color and options did you pick?

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Aino Minako posted:

Which color and options did you pick?

Blue/black LR with the tow hitch and the 19” wheels (for WI potholes). Passed on the FSD computer. Probably going to get the homelink addon too.

Not really minding it it’s a few months out as there’s a chance Congress does something good and expands the EV tax credit (lol) and I don’t need it right away.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Jimong5 posted:

Blue/black LR with the tow hitch and the 19” wheels (for WI potholes). Passed on the FSD computer. Probably going to get the homelink addon too.

Not really minding it it’s a few months out as there’s a chance Congress does something good and expands the EV tax credit (lol) and I don’t need it right away.

Blue/black here, too. It’s a good combination of looking nice and not showing every speck of dirt.

Good news: you have the current computer no matter what, so if you want to add FSD later (or subscribe for a month on a long trip or whatever) you can just do that in the app.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Jimong5 posted:

:hf: Excellent choice which I'm saying mostly because I have a Blue/Black Model 3 also in WI. Although mine is a pre-refresh with the chrome trim which really looks sharp on blue, too bad it isn't an option anymore and never was on the Y.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

The clock display probably doesn't get direct push updates from the GPS signal or cell towers because of reasons, even if all the other things in the car that rely on an accurate clock do. So I guess all you're doing with a long press is refreshing stale display data.

No, my car really was an hour off since the scheduled charge was happening an hour late.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

No, my car really was an hour off since the scheduled charge was happening an hour late.

Weird.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Blue car club represent

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Deposit on a Polestar 2, should be ready Friday!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

some_admin posted:

Deposit on a Polestar 2, should be ready Friday!

Nice, congrats!

I hope it's blue! Or some other color 😉

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

cruft posted:

Blue car club represent

blue cars truly the best, agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer