Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I too did the force-AI-opponents thing in pvp and got to 6000. Great tip, thanks.

Now all my dudes are level 20+ and I'd probably start running into players regularly if I tried to make it to 7500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mcbexx posted:

. at least they both and in "Blade".

w-what?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

"end in".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

pmchem posted:

I too did the force-AI-opponents thing in pvp and got to 6000. Great tip, thanks.

Now all my dudes are level 20+ and I'd probably start running into players regularly if I tried to make it to 7500.

You might still be able to do it with 3 levels 30s that have no skill levels or equipment, since those are way more important than level.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'm glad I could help out. I it seems like the AI is totally removed from match making at about 6300. So when you get close to that number, concede some games to keep yourself from under the threshold. Otherwise you'll be stuck making a real team and waiting out the long times to match with a real person, only to probably lose anyway. That's going to make even the one or three wins every day much harder. It's a shame that grinding the free rewards disincentivizes actually PvPing people, but here we are.

Also, we're in the top few percent of merc players. Congrats everyone. The top 1% is at the AI inclusion cutoff. What a funny coincidence.

https://twitter.com/sky_tding/status/1449269133107859456

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Fun fact about the tasks in Mercenaries: If it's a generic thing(Deal X Damage, Visit X coins, ect.) you don't even need the Merc in question in your party to complete them

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Recent Blizzard market research has shown that players can't get enough of the new character "Heroic Air Elemental", and next week's patch will add a new hero skin, Battlegrounds tavernkeeper, and card back to the shop featuring the lovable little guy.

edit: Wonder if in earlier designs Mercenaries (at least on Heroic quests?) had some kind of energy system or entry fee? Thank god they got rid of that at least. Thinking this based on the warning you get when you do a heroic run that you won't be able to change your party after starting a run

goferchan fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 17, 2021

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

goferchan posted:

Recent Blizzard market research has shown that players can't get enough of the new character "Heroic Air Elemental", and next week's patch will add a new hero skin, Battlegrounds tavernkeeper, and card back to the shop featuring the lovable little guy.

edit: Wonder if in earlier designs Mercenaries (at least on Heroic quests?) had some kind of energy system or entry fee? Thank god they got rid of that at least. Thinking this based on the warning you get when you do a heroic run that you won't be able to change your party after starting a run

Yeah I was quite surprised that you can reuse dead characters straight away. Other gatchas I've played have a health pack system.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

goferchan posted:

I laughed out loud at this, good one!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

goferchan posted:

did this get stealth nerfed today? I haven't seen a task offered in about 10 runs in a row...

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Thanks for that PVP guide, dudes. Ground up to 6000 today at drill and am pretty close to 20 with everyone not named Millhouse or Tyrande. Blink Fox works really well with them too, although its first ability cost me an Arcane Bolt boost a couple times when I wasn’t paying attention.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Is there any way to get gold in the mercenaries mode? I would play it a little if I can get gold from it to buy Hearthstone packs.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is there any way to get gold in the mercenaries mode? I would play it a little if I can get gold from it to buy Hearthstone packs.

Not yet but they'll probably start adding quests that rely on Mercenaries mode to complete that'll get you EXP. For now you just get EXP from the mode, which give you rewards on the Rewards Track.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

AnacondaHL posted:

did this get stealth nerfed today? I haven't seen a task offered in about 10 runs in a row...

Someone asked that on reddit as well, having the same experience and the answer was 'probably not'? But it's interesting it's happening to multiple people.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Strawberry Panda posted:

Not yet but they'll probably start adding quests that rely on Mercenaries mode to complete that'll get you EXP. For now you just get EXP from the mode, which give you rewards on the Rewards Track.

Which then gives you gold but I do wonder in the current iteration if it's really feasible to get to several maxed out mercenaries using solely that mode.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mayveena posted:

Someone asked that on reddit as well, having the same experience and the answer was 'probably not'? But it's interesting it's happening to multiple people.

I figured it out a bit of it: I've finished 18 tasks with Samuro, so if he's in the party I don't get tasks offered anymore. But it's more than that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'll link something I found useful

https://www.redventbard.com/hearthstone-mercenaries-farming-locations

This lists farming locations for all of the Mercs.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

AnacondaHL posted:

I figured it out a bit of it: I've finished 18 tasks with Samuro, so if he's in the party I don't get tasks offered anymore. But it's more than that.

I haven't had any trouble today except for this morning. I think if you have 4 tasks from different mercs and all four of those mercs in your group, then the stranger wont spawn.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Strawberry Panda posted:

It's very, very little XP though isn't it? Assuming you were forgoing quests for the main game/battleground to just play Mercs it seems like you'd barely make a dent in the rewards track.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

goferchan posted:

It's very, very little XP though isn't it? Assuming you were forgoing quests for the main game/battleground to just play Mercs it seems like you'd barely make a dent in the rewards track.

Not saying it's a good way to do it but there is some rewards track progression in the game. And I think you get a lot more in the PVP mode.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
"This game sucks, what a grind"

Opens Arthas in a pack

"OMG!!!"

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Mayveena posted:

I'll link something I found useful

https://www.redventbard.com/hearthstone-mercenaries-farming-locations

This lists farming locations for all of the Mercs.

My coin RNG has allowed me to craft two legendaries so far but of course for the only merc I want to do something with out of the ones I don't have (Jaina) I'm still a couple hundred short. I haven't unlocked Blackrock Mountain yet but I already knew that's where I'd have to farm because I clicked through every boss chest that was available to me. This is a pretty handy list to keep for future reference so I don't have to keep doing that.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

goferchan posted:

Wonder if in earlier designs Mercenaries (at least on Heroic quests?) had some kind of energy system or entry fee? Thank god they got rid of that at least. Thinking this based on the warning you get when you do a heroic run that you won't be able to change your party after starting a run

If they didn't design it with an energy system that got cut then they must have just copied the design of other gacha games without understanding the role that energy systems play in those games. The whole point of the super grindy tiny incremental power gains from running something you can easily beat over and over is to get players to buy stamina refreshes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Also so players don’t burn themselves out/beat all the content in a week

I’d be fine if they introduced an energy system but doubled or tripled the rewards

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Hell it's only been 4 days and I'm at 6000 pvp and the final boss of Blackrock. When presented with the final storyline task reward of 5 packs I instantly realized they were useless to me as after getting them I would most likely not play the mode again. I've just been playing to get the storyline rewards without realizing there really isn't any gameplay past just doing that.

It's also rather aggravating how protector class mercs are rarity gated. I've got 10 and 11 in fighter and mages but only 4 protectors. The only time I went up against real pvp opponents their protector heavy team just destroyed me.

The game expects you to buy packs for chances to balance your team because almost every protector is epic or legendary. Free players will inevitably have a hole in their team comp that the whales can easily exploit as an intentional imbalance. Which after realizing also helps with the quick burnout.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I mean mercenaries as a mode seems very much like an engagement metric 'play this mode 100 times' to do well in pvp, which i guess is there endgame? Its weird because watching this play out in real time is very much a 'what do you want people to do in this mode' to fill the time question. It seems like PVP is where they want you to spend your time given how easy it is to beat all of the pve stuff but nothin happens cross mode.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Preventing burnout is sort of backwards; gacha games artifically inflate the number of runs you have to do in order to sell stamina refreshes, and without that as a goal you could just not require as many runs. I guess they might be trying to make it grindy in the hopes that people buy packs for coins? The fact that you can beat the game for free in a few days is also partially due to that the free mercs you get are just as good as the ones you have to gamble for (even without getting lucky). I certainly don't think that the game would be improved by being more predatory, but it's interesting to see how taking a super-predatory genre and stripping away some of the things designed to make you pay money results in a game that kinda doesn't work right.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plorkyeran posted:

If they didn't design it with an energy system that got cut then they must have just copied the design of other gacha games without understanding the role that energy systems play in those games. The whole point of the super grindy tiny incremental power gains from running something you can easily beat over and over is to get players to buy stamina refreshes.

Most of of kind of gacha mobage you're thinking of basically don't have an energy limit though, except arknights.

Like when I quit fate grand order I had like 500 fill refills left assomeone who didn't go hard on events that gave them :v:

It's also missing the two biggest reasons people whale: characters well written enough to get emotionally invested in, and chisled anime abs/big baps

The gameplay of mercy was fun for a bit but I really have no idea what they're doing if they want to make money.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 18, 2021

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

E. Revenant posted:

Hell it's only been 4 days and I'm at 6000 pvp and the final boss of Blackrock. When presented with the final storyline task reward of 5 packs I instantly realized they were useless to me as after getting them I would most likely not play the mode again. I've just been playing to get the storyline rewards without realizing there really isn't any gameplay past just doing that.

There is still trying to do everything on heroic, but it's tuned to be so difficult that you need to have mercs that really are maxed out and still get the right treasures or boons for certain bosses. Plus there's really no reason to finish most heroics more than once for the achievement since farming coins on normal is going to be much faster in winterspring and blackrock.

The lack of content for a mode like this that's getting the red carpet roll out, complete with live action tv commercial, is pretty surprising.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

E. Revenant posted:

The game expects you to buy packs for chances to balance your team because almost every protector is epic or legendary. Free players will inevitably have a hole in their team comp that the whales can easily exploit as an intentional imbalance. Which after realizing also helps with the quick burnout.
I feel like this is less of an issue since so far it seems like the very best Protector is the one you get for free in your starter party. But there is definitely something odd about the way Protectors are built and distributed; what are you even supposed to do with Varian, for example? Five of the ten Human mercs are casters and don't care about getting a possible attack buff from his fist ability, there doesn't seem to be a meaningful point to putting more than 50 coins into his speed booster and retaliation seems okay but how often do you really run into three Warrior comps where it would be actually strong?

To me it seems like there are a lot of mercs that feel like they're missing something. Sylvanas really ought to have a summon to help Reclaimed Souls, for example.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

NorgLyle posted:

To me it seems like there are a lot of mercs that feel like they're missing something. Sylvanas really ought to have a summon to help Reclaimed Souls, for example.

I think in a perfect world the game structure is set up pretty nicely to drip-feed new Mercs in a couple times a month and fill some of those holes, but this would definitely be a major break from the usual tempo of HS updates. More realistically we'll see the Stormwind mini-set come out, then maybe a Battlegrounds update, and then some new Mercenaries stuff like a month too late after everybody's already burned out with the existing content. Maybe they'll surprise me, though.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I'm not even sure how you do an update in a way that feels satisfying. Seeing as packs just really don't exist for F2P players minus a very limited amount drip-fed through the campaign, and the generally limited number of mercs vs. cards in a normal Hearthstone expansion, it feels like it's going to be really painful to play around with a new expansion when it requires you purchase packs and still probably mostly just get a bunch of coins outside of any rare mercs released.

At least with a normal hearthstone expansion you're going to get commons and rares filled out pretty quickly with even a modest investment in packs. Unless they absolutely flood the mercs pool with rares you won't get the same thing.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

enki42 posted:

Seeing as packs just really don't exist for F2P players minus a very limited amount drip-fed through the campaign, and the generally limited number of mercs vs. cards in a normal Hearthstone expansion, it feels like it's going to be really painful to play around with a new expansion when it requires you purchase packs and still probably mostly just get a bunch of coins outside of any rare mercs released.
I'm still hopeful that it's going to be revealed that Toki has a Weekly Quest that gives two packs or something similar but I'm not optimistic.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
They need to cut the double damage crit bonus to 1.5x. It is ridiculous that a merc can be nuked off the board on the first turn.

On the other hand, who cares because I’m never playing this again after I finish the story mode.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So apparently it's very easy (not for me but I guess for those who make bots) to bot the PvE for Mercs. This rollout is beginning to feel like the rollout for D3.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Played a little bit of mercs and went back to the actual good mode

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
what pve missions are good for farming tasks now it does seem like air elemental was stealth nerfed

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So in Mercs the order of two abilities that are the same speed is supposed to be random, right? Because it reaaallly seems like the left most one always goes first right now...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Elysium posted:

So in Mercs the order of two abilities that are the same speed is supposed to be random, right? Because it reaaallly seems like the left most one always goes first right now...

If the mercs are on your team whichever ability you choose will go off first, which is why it seems like the left one goes first all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

If the mercs are on your team whichever ability you choose will go off first, which is why it seems like the left one goes first all the time.