Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I'll never forget some Conan gaming stream that had Roman on to play whichever WWE game had come out just a bit after Punk had done the podcast with Colt

they were fielding questions from the chat and someone had made some reference to 'make Roman look strong' to which he responded, "why would I care what some skinnyfat quieter thinks."

Just goes to show he was planting the seeds for the tribal chief character this whole time, all hail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shame on you, Deville. A necktie on a shirt with short sleeves? You barbarian.

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

Lid posted:

I want to see Ric Flair wrestle Samoa Joe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwRDEfd0ZNY

ric, go to aew just long enough for a suzuki match. tia

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Has there been any updates on Samoa Joe since he disappeared due to a mysterious injury one month ago?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I occasionally remember that the first thing Vince did with the War Raiders upon calling them up was to rename them "The Viking Experience" and I always have to convince myself for a moment that it actually happened. And then changed their names from Rowe and Hanson to "Erik and Ivar".

loving literal children's TV for children and the elderly.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I occasionally remember that the first thing Vince did with the War Raiders upon calling them up was to rename them "The Viking Experience" and I always have to convince myself for a moment that it actually happened. And then changed their names from Rowe and Hanson to "Erik and Ivar".

Did they make Eric Rowan just go by Rowan at the same time? Can’t remember if Rowan was fired or hanging with Bryan then.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
There are only like 30 male names

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

DogsInSpace! posted:

Did they make Eric Rowan just go by Rowan at the same time? Can’t remember if Rowan was fired or hanging with Bryan then.

there was a moment where Erik, Eric, and Erick were all on Raw at the same time.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

you got a fast car

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure the first name was dropped around the time he and Brodie Lee were repackaged as The Bludgeon Brothers.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Don't forget the part where people shat on it so much they changed the name but Vince was so petty about it that he changed their finisher name to "The Viking Experience"

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It’s funny you mention this, I was listening to a very pro-WWE podcast (Tights and Fights) that I only checked out because one of the hosts was on Doughboys and actually talked up AEW. So I started listening and quickly learned it was a great Two Minute Hate for me to consume because I disagree with 90% of what they say. This week they were talking about what got them into wrestling/doing a wrestling 101 to explain to new listeners the appeal. And one of the hosts unironically said “It’s like children’s theater. In children’s theater you have these cues of how to react and it’s fun sitting there and doing the reaction”. That really struck me how some WWE fans see themselves not as people allowed and encouraged to react naturally to the product being presented, but as people who have to, like mindless children, react to cues correctly. I know it’s not news, but still a little shocking to hear said by people not on the WWE dole with no irony.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Drakkel posted:

Don't forget the part where people shat on it so much they changed the name but Vince was so petty about it that he changed their finisher name to "The Viking Experience"

Vince is so weird. He can’t have actual Vikings or old Timey wrestlers but Viking enthusiasts or have the Vaudevillians be guys who pretend to be from olden times. He hates ridiculous gimmicks yet created even more ridiculous poo poo where they are “just pretending to be X” which makes it somehow lamer. He hates people and doesn’t understand friendships or families yet craves adulation and praise. He wants to be rich but somehow also hates the rich and wants to be thought of as successful but only successful at being a shady carny but also hates carnies. Just freakin exhausting.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

DogsInSpace! posted:

Vince is so weird. He can’t have actual Vikings or old Timey wrestlers but Viking enthusiasts or have the Vaudevillians be guys who pretend to be from olden times. He hates ridiculous gimmicks yet created even more ridiculous poo poo where they are “just pretending to be X” which makes it somehow lamer. He hates people and doesn’t understand friendships or families yet craves adulation and praise. He wants to be rich but somehow also hates the rich and wants to be thought of as successful but only successful at being a shady carny but also hates carnies. Just freakin exhausting.

I’m positive Statlander is pretending to be an alien

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Blaise330 posted:

You better think twice before you post filth like this again.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

inconsequential posted:

It’s funny you mention this, I was listening to a very pro-WWE podcast (Tights and Fights) that I only checked out because one of the hosts was on Doughboys and actually talked up AEW. So I started listening and quickly learned it was a great Two Minute Hate for me to consume because I disagree with 90% of what they say. This week they were talking about what got them into wrestling/doing a wrestling 101 to explain to new listeners the appeal. And one of the hosts unironically said “It’s like children’s theater. In children’s theater you have these cues of how to react and it’s fun sitting there and doing the reaction”. That really struck me how some WWE fans see themselves not as people allowed and encouraged to react naturally to the product being presented, but as people who have to, like mindless children, react to cues correctly. I know it’s not news, but still a little shocking to hear said by people not on the WWE dole with no irony.

This really explains their viewpoint. I mean I guess if you're watching WWE like it's a mindless kids show it will entertain you but WWE also really don't want you to think it's a mindless kids show.

Ugh that's not even really how children's theater works. Kids are more of a wild card than your average WWE fan.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

inconsequential posted:

In fairness Panto is a lot of fun.

But it also is built on making sure the audience has a lot of fun, not pissing them off for HEEEEAAAAAAT

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

inconsequential posted:

I feel like they used to be a much better pod because I used to be a regular listener but AEW's increasing popularity over the past year really make it unlistenable. They were really hard on AEW for the women's division early on, which is definitely fair, but they seem to refuse to acknowledge that it's improved while WWE's has gone deep into the shitter.

Yeah, AEW should do more than 1 women's match a week on Dynamite sometimes, but the one they have is often longer than the 3 Raw women's matches combined and doesn't make both competitors look weak and stupid.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Kids are harsh critics because if they don’t like something they don’t twist themselves into argumentative knots trying to convince themselves they actually think it’s good like adults do

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

inconsequential posted:

It’s funny you mention this, I was listening to a very pro-WWE podcast.

“It’s like children’s theater. In children’s theater you have these cues of how to react and it’s fun sitting there and doing the reaction”.

As someone who writes children’s theater professionally that’s not what we’re trying to do. Maybe for very very young audiences.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Blaise330 posted:

MODS PROBATE THIS HERESY!

Seriously man…. Not cool.

Dacap posted:

I feel like they used to be a much better pod because I used to be a regular listener but AEW's increasing popularity over the past year really make it unlistenable. They were really hard on AEW for the women's division early on, which is definitely fair, but they seem to refuse to acknowledge that it's improved while WWE's has gone deep into the shitter.

Yeah, AEW should do more than 1 women's match a week on Dynamite sometimes, but the one they have is often longer than the 3 Raw women's matches combined and doesn't make both competitors look weak and stupid.
All of the women in AEW (or almost) were also fairly green at the start. DR Britt Baker DMD was dreadful at first but she has both improved in the ring by leaps AND connected to the audience at, in my opinion, as much as Sasha or Bayley. Still think Becky has an edge over her in both aspects but wwe is working on cooling Becky while Dr Brit keeps improving. Riho is the only one I would say could be handled better but that is just, like, my opinion, man and subject to debate. Kharma SHOULD have been more but her body broke down and they did what they could. Funny thing is that WWE had an insane lead in the women’s division but tossed it away in favour of Diva Era, not due to a lack of talent but the guys in charge just not giving a poo poo. The really depressing DSoTR about Luna showed this is how it traditionally was. Really depressing episode btw.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

inconsequential posted:

I mean this makes sense why certain people love WWE but seem to hate any other kind of wrestling; you're spoonfed everything in the WWE and don't actually have to think. There are no deeper themes to their storytelling, their humour is all wisecracks or pratfalls and the bar for "holy poo poo" or "this is awesome" chants is extremely low. It also ties into the whole toxic positivity thing about AEW fans, WWE fans have to tread through poo poo so that they can get to the positive stuff while AEW fans just enjoy their shows. If WWE ever bought in Minoru Suzuki (lol never) they'd have him work a bog standard WWE match that makes nobody happy while we got a full blown G1 match between Suzuki and Danielson.

Future Me Hates Me
Sep 27, 2018

Dacap posted:

I feel like they used to be a much better pod because I used to be a regular listener but AEW's increasing popularity over the past year really make it unlistenable.

They used to cherry pick segments to talk about from WWE programming because they wanted to be positive and give new fans stuff to watch.

Now it seems they still do that for WWE, but they only talk about the stuff they think is problematic about AEW.

For some reason AEW saying they were "for everyone" but not having 20 min Women's main events every Dynamite is an unforgivable sin while WWEs entire past of doing horrible poo poo might as well not exist.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

…It also ties into the whole toxic positivity thing about AEW fans, WWE fans have to tread through poo poo so that they can get to the positive stuff while AEW fans just enjoy their shows. If WWE ever bought in Minoru Suzuki (lol never) they'd have him work a bog standard WWE match that makes nobody happy while we got a full blown G1 match between Suzuki and Danielson.

If anyone hasn’t seen it go watch it. That match is LIT!

Like I said before: biggest issue in wwe isn’t the talent but 100% Vince. Whenever people ask “why dog food jokes” or “why must we have a million fake tv skits in the ring” or “why must Corbin be on every show” or even “who the hell is that his show for” the answer is Vince. I remember some former wrestler mentioned hearing Vince braying like a donkey during a particularly awful skit that killed the crowd. Everything on screen is for a senile lunatic to jerk off to or laugh at. Anything that caught on years ago with the crowd was in spite of him and not because he was ever a genius. He’s lucky he inherited a working fed from his dad and jus happened to be less incompetent than his peers. He was handed a silver spoon and landed backwards into success. He’s like the poster child for Boomers despite being born a little early.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Vince McMahon has produced an impressive resume of unwatchable trash.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

I keep trying to figure out if Bryan is just full on lumpenprole or is doing a bit where he doesn't understand what the Joe Gacy gimmick is.

*Edit: In fairness he seems to GET it, but won't just accept that it's an attempt to own the libs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
AEW's woman's division is still really bad and the WWE completely tanking theirs making AEW's better by default doesn't mean that if you like woman's wrestling you shouldn't still expect better out of AEW. Especiially since ROH's new woman's division has a lot of promise and is showing that you don't have to build your division around women who can't run the ropes just because WWE has so many women locked up.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Don't think the pro-WWE "wrestling is like kid's theatre" podcast was earnestly expecting better from AEW's women's division.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

if the British indies weren't dead I'd say there's room for a straight-up pantomime heel gimmick on there

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Venomous posted:

if the British indies weren't dead I'd say there's room for a straight-up pantomime heel gimmick on there

This match is over!

"OH NO IT ISN'T!"

Yes it is! *Goes for the pin, gets a 2*

"OH NO IT ISN'T!"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Blaise330 posted:

You're right but it's just to cover that Abadon is really a zombie

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Renaissance Spam posted:

I keep trying to figure out if Bryan is just full on lumpenprole or is doing a bit where he doesn't understand what the Joe Gacy gimmick is.

*Edit: In fairness he seems to GET it, but won't just accept that it's an attempt to own the libs.
i think he just doesn’t care to spend too long examining precisely which flavour of poo poo it is , and i can’t blame him really

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Just realized I never checked who won the queen match. Congrats Zelina. She's so good she beat both her opponents in under 5 mins.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Rick posted:

AEW's woman's division is still really bad and the WWE completely tanking theirs making AEW's better by default doesn't mean that if you like woman's wrestling you shouldn't still expect better out of AEW. Especiially since ROH's new woman's division has a lot of promise and is showing that you don't have to build your division around women who can't run the ropes just because WWE has so many women locked up.

Is it though? People keep saying that but my only complaint with AEW is I wish they'd have more than one women's match per show. WWE might have bigger stars but they sure as poo poo don't know what to do with them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bartok posted:

Is it though? People keep saying that but my only complaint with AEW is I wish they'd have more than one women's match per show. WWE might have bigger stars but they sure as poo poo don't know what to do with them.

imo it's still pretty weak, definitely getting better but the matches are still super short and nothing to write home about. there have been some real highlights like the Thunder Rosa/Britt Baker lights out match but they're few and far between. wwe COULD and should have a much better women's division with the talent they have but like everything they do, their booking is appalling.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quantum of Phallus posted:

there have been some real highlights like the Thunder Rosa/Britt Baker lights out match but they're few and far between.

I know this is a personal preference, but I can’t get into these WWE matches when they don’t give us clean finishes. All of the good parts of Becky/Sash or Becky/Bianca recently just fade away when the last thing you are left with is interference causing a roll up or DQ.

When is the last time we had a really great women's match end cleanly?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It’s pretty great that Corbin was boring as gently caress, showed a hint of actually progressing his character, and is now basically back in the same position he’s always been in.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Astro7x posted:

I know this is a personal preference, but I can’t get into these WWE matches when they don’t give us clean finishes. All of the good parts of Becky/Sash or Becky/Bianca recently just fade away when the last thing you are left with is interference causing a roll up or DQ.

When is the last time we had a really great women's match end cleanly?

Bianca Sasha at Mania was great

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

Future Me Hates Me posted:

They used to cherry pick segments to talk about from WWE programming because they wanted to be positive and give new fans stuff to watch.

Now it seems they still do that for WWE, but they only talk about the stuff they think is problematic about AEW.

For some reason AEW saying they were "for everyone" but not having 20 min Women's main events every Dynamite is an unforgivable sin while WWEs entire past of doing horrible poo poo might as well not exist.

I listened to the Shmanners crossover podcast they just did (I'm a big MBMBAM/McElroy fan) that was supposedly all about the "unwritten rules and behind the scenes ettiquette" of pro-wrestling. And it was very weird to hear these "socially conscious" people totally gloss over the fact that all of this stuff is basically (in WWE and some of the darker indies) used to justify company-approved bullying. It was a lot of "Oh it's cool that you're expected to shake hands with literally every person you meet" but no mention of "if you forget to do this or mess it up you become a social pariah and might get physically assaulted or harassed." They even talked about wrestlers court but neglected to mention that the Undertaker is a complete shithead and used his position to force people to "Pay their dues" in lovely and humiliating ways.

And then the only mention of AEW was to dunk on Chris Jericho for losing the belt at a steakhouse. Basically confirmed for me I never want to listen to their pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheGreatFowler/status/1449774033193603076?s=20