Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

MarquisDeSade posted:

People in Ontario can start downloading their enhanced vaccine certificates. Those born in January - April can get it today. May - August tomorrow and September - December on Sunday.

It’s just another PDF file you can save to your phone but apparently if you have an iPhone view it on your desktop you can scan it with the camera app to add the certificate to the Health app. I haven’t tried that yet though.

Supposedly in iOS 15.1, due in a few weeks, this will allow you to put the wrong code in your wallet app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Hey so now that China has hypersonic missiles, what's the tankie playbook say? Is discourse expected to pivot to surrender to save lives or something?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

half cocaine posted:

Hey so now that China has hypersonic missiles, what's the tankie playbook say? Is discourse expected to pivot to surrender to save lives or something?

what's the justification for the US having the same or similar? saber-rattling empire states have guns to point at each other for MAD, this is nothing new

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

half cocaine posted:

they won't shoot first

we will though

if anyone does, at any rate. Think the domestic crisis brewing and all our factories being in Asia has at least delayed any apocalyptic confrontation for a bit, until we feel confident we can manufacture circuits for ourselves again

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arivia posted:

what's the justification for the US having the same or similar? saber-rattling empire states have guns to point at each other for MAD, this is nothing new

According to Wikipedia:

quote:

Such a weapon would allow the United States to respond far more swiftly to rapidly emerging threats than is possible with conventional forces. A PGS system could also be useful during a nuclear conflict, potentially replacing the use of nuclear weapons against up to 30% of targets.

The US justification is it provides a more flexible means of responding to threats, something that is generally useful to you as one of the major peacekeepers in the world; and if the second part is true then it may also considerably reduce the death total in a nuclear exchange and allow for more flexibility in how nations avoid escalation by adding additional intermediate steps.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

they won't shoot first

we will though

if anyone does, at any rate. Think the domestic crisis brewing and all our factories being in Asia has at least delayed any apocalyptic confrontation for a bit, until we feel confident we can manufacture circuits for ourselves again

This has been thoroughly discussed about in the China thread but in general no one is expecting the US to shoot first in any sort of meaningful way in any hypothetical conflict between the US and China, the most likely scenarios is a conflict involving either North Korea, India, or Taiwan which escalates.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Raenir Salazar posted:

According to Wikipedia:

The US justification is it provides a more flexible means of responding to threats, something that is generally useful to you as one of the major peacekeepers in the world; and if the second part is true then it may also considerably reduce the death total in a nuclear exchange and allow for more flexibility in how nations avoid escalation by adding additional intermediate steps.

:laffo: at US 'peacekeeping'

Raenir Salazar posted:

This has been thoroughly discussed about in the China thread but in general no one is expecting the US to shoot first in any sort of meaningful way in any hypothetical conflict between the US and China, the most likely scenarios is a conflict involving either North Korea, India, or Taiwan which escalates.

Sure. And it will be the US who kicks it off. If the world ends in fire, it's the US that will light the match.

e: vvvvv fair. Said my piece, won't respond to this topic again.

gfy half cocaine

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 17, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Love yet another china derail in the CanPol thread. :waycool:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My buddy in the US military wrote some book on doctrine about the Chinese and now has a bunch of random twitter accounts/bots tweeting out inspirational "we can beat the commies" live laugh love messages that quote it. It's both weird and hilarious.

Anyways, I have completed 3 volunteer training sessions for the Alberta NDP and have a riding meeting later in October. Putting my money where my "gently caress alberta I'm moving if the UCP win again" mouth is.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Orthanc6 posted:

This super sucks, I still listen to their podcast every week, they're a super fun couple. Should be noted the guy grew up in Montreal so him leaving is certainly not for lack of trying. Obviously some people will get along fine being English in Montreal, but there's a real problem going on there. Next week's "Castle Superbeast" podcast on Twitch will probably be pretty heavy on the details of this event and everything leading up to their decision.

I've been of the impression that Quebec seceding is not a serious risk for a long time now. But maybe that's not quite the case anymore given that people are more inclined to embrace full-stupid these days.

I’m sorry but you are an idiot if you believe that story. No one in MTL is being hate crimed for speaking English

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

they won't shoot first

we will though

lmao
loving moron

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Starks posted:

I’m sorry but you are an idiot if you believe that story. No one in MTL is being hate crimed for speaking English
The tweets even make it clear it's pretty specifically their neighborhood, you think there couldn't be a block or two full of assholes who still love the FLQ?

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
Some of the paranoid anglo comments about this make me laugh, but I'm certain this did happen. Hochelaga continues to be a special netherworld of grodiness, although it's not like anglos get pushed in front of buses there or whatever, this seems like a sad one-off.

I used to buy my smokes at a dep during lunch when my work was there a decade ago and I'd have to time myself so I didn't run into the daily, gigantic line-up of sickly-looking ten year olds buying Monster drinks.

There's a memoir that came out this year by a sociology teacher who was born in Chile but raised in and around that borough. I've only read bits of it, but had another bit described to me: she writes of how in her first seedy apartment building there (as a child, with her parents) upon arrival to Canada, all the poor brown families like theirs were cooking constantly, which meant that there was a constant onion stench permeating the entire block, and she found it nauseating. Then, her and her parents moved to a block full of poor white families and the onion stench was replaced by a cigarette stench. I guess her point is then that the reality of the depths of misery happening in the hood dawned on her and she finally came to believe that her and other immigrant families were resourceful enough that they would probably nest successfully at some point, by comparison to these sedentarily sad sack whites.

Hochelaga is basically where there are oodles of proletarian quebecers, unevenly distributed elsewhere in the province also, who never got out of the intergenerational cycles of abuse that they collectively endured pre-quiet revolution, and so they do not have the emotional or economic security they in principle should have since then. But then, there are also oodles of (socially ascended) bourgeois pig-dogs who know this and profit from these folks by stoking hate.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 17, 2021

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Ok but where are you getting hochelaga from? The original tweeter said she’s in downtown.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

Starks posted:

Ok but where are you getting hochelaga from? The original tweeter said she’s in downtown.
100% imagined without verifying this was anglospeak for Hochelaga or the Centre-Sud/Faubourgs « core ».

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 17, 2021

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Yo who’s gonna be the two michaels with me at Halloween

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ARACHTION posted:

Yo who’s gonna be the two michaels with me at Halloween

I'll be 2018, you can be Kills.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Starks posted:

Reminder that people outside Quebec still consider the coloured folks to be people, too.

fartman
Sep 19, 2021
I live in hochelaga and have yet to be hatecrimed for speaking English. I feel like there are some details the OP is leaving out? Granted, she is also a woman, so that does bring on another level of harassment in general.

fartman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 17, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Trapick posted:

The tweets even make it clear it's pretty specifically their neighborhood, you think there couldn't be a block or two full of assholes who still love the FLQ?

They should release a neighborhood guide. Like walk score. The xenophobic asshat index or something. You could generate it from past election results.

Not even just for Montreal.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Bleck posted:

Reminder that people outside Quebec still consider the coloured folks to be people, too.

?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

fartman posted:

I live in hochelaga and have yet to be hatecrimed for speaking English. I feel like there are some details the OP is leaving out? Granted, she is also a woman, so that does bring on another level of harassment in general.

The tweeter mentioned their harasser likes to expose himself or some such. Kind of a "he's not political, he's crazy" flag for me

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bleck posted:

You should be forced to spend some time visiting small town southern Ontario after making a bold statement like this. :colbert:

Rust Martialis posted:

The tweeter mentioned their harasser likes to expose himself or some such. Kind of a "he's not political, he's crazy" flag for me

Thats kind of the point of the tweets if you read them all. They single him out as the source, its just that the rest of the neighbours (and apparently police?) are fine ignoring that behaviour as long as its directed at the right people.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I look super French and people get very mad when I don't speak it.

Not running down the street tantruming, but a handful of people have been real jerks about it.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

How do you look French?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A pretentious clown with a baguette?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Garlic and onions hanging around your neck, smoking Gauloises and drinking 50?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Crow Buddy posted:

How do you look French?

It's probably the mime makeup that throws them off, but you'd think they'd understand why they can't speak.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

infernal machines posted:

It's probably the mime makeup that throws them off, but you'd think they'd understand why they can't speak.

It's this

But in seriousness it's just what they tell me. I don't fuckin' know, the nose maybe? I heard similar things when I lived in a border town when I was younger

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

It's this

But in seriousness it's just what they tell me. I don't fuckin' know, the nose maybe? I heard similar things when I lived in a border town when I was younger

born with the word "tabarnak" for a mouth

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

fartman posted:

Yeah I haven't lived in Montreal for almost 20 years but I feel Iike there's some big details left out of that story somewhere. I was an Anglo who lived in St Henri / Little Burgandy but I never saw that level of vitriol...

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I grew up in Montreal and I still remember asking a public transit bus driver for help and he asked me if I spoke french. I said yes and he said 'so speak it'

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think generally at worse I get that moment of confusion when I speak English to someone speaking French and they need a moment to switch to English; at my work all meetings switched to English since I'm the only one who doesn't speak any French. I think Montreal has generally been fine as a monolingual English speaker (I was born and raised in Quebec but never learned French).

I think the worst experience are actually in my rural hometown in Vaurdrail-Dorion whenever I try to order coffee at timmies and none of the cashiers speak English but they have english speakers right loving there in the back they could just send out to speak to them. Instead of being trying to figure out wtf "iced frappe cappuccino" is. So it takes literally five minutes to make my order before they give up and grab their manager to get my order.

In general growing up the largest issue was not being able to get any jobs that were customer facing but I never met anyone who was like "gently caress you anglo scum" but then again if they were I wouldn't understand them so I win.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Another Bill posted:

Yeah I haven't lived in Montreal for almost 20 years but I feel Iike there's some big details left out of that story somewhere. I was an Anglo who lived in St Henri / Little Burgandy but I never saw that level of vitriol...

20 years is a long time for political environments to change. I feel like that filter that normally kept people from saying racist/misogynistic/xenophobic things in public has been deteriorating at an incredible rate over the last 5-6 years. Having a premier that incites that kind of thing certainly isnt helping either.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 7, 2023

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Any time I tried to speak French in Montreal the other person would just switch to English.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Evis posted:

Any time I tried to speak French in Montreal the other person would just switch to English.

Yes, this has always been my experience, I think just trying helps a lot. I just start in my not so great French and both francophone and anglophone stop me to prevent the entire situation from being awkward, both saying "Oh, I speak English."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

infernal machines posted:

Don't give them the idea for Bill 97: "An Act Requiring all Mimes in Quebec to Mime in French."

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Evis posted:

Oddest experience, about 20 years ago on the metro (Green line), back then the driver had to announce all the stops. We leave Guy-Concordia, and the announcer suddenly yelled "Prochaine Arret.. ANGRIGNOOOn". (Next stop - Angrignon).

Except - Angrignon is the very first station on the green line, and the next station was Peel.

Then we leave Peel (next stop McGill), and the announcer proclaimed " Prochaine arret... AAAANGRRiGNON!".

This continued, right up to Berri Uqam. Never found out if it continued the rest of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Guigui posted:

Oddest experience, about 20 years ago on the metro (Green line), back then the driver had to announce all the stops. We leave Guy-Concordia, and the announcer suddenly yelled "Prochaine Arret.. ANGRIGNOOOn". (Next stop - Angrignon).

Except - Angrignon is the very first station on the green line, and the next station was Peel.

Then we leave Peel (next stop McGill), and the announcer proclaimed " Prochaine arret... AAAANGRRiGNON!".

This continued, right up to Berri Uqam. Never found out if it continued the rest of the way.

Maybe they meant to say that's the direction they're going?