Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

teagone posted:

I mean, even with a bulletproof suit I don't want to be walking towards automatic gunfire coming from people whose intent is to kill me. Would you? The sound and muzzle flashes would give me PTSD probably.

This is Batman we're talking about here. PTSD is his origin story.

And whoever said Pattinson looks like a junkie jonesing for a fix has just very accurately described why Bruce Wayne does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

2house2fly posted:

Jack Kirby's dialogue is so baller. He'll just write out straight-up exposition and it somehow works. "As an archeologist, I'm dumbfounded at the sight of an ancient myth come alive!" The New Gods scene which introduces Steppenwolf is one of my favourites:

I think it was Grant Morrison who said (and I’m paraphrasing) that with Kirby, every panel is an event comic.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Looks cool and all, but why is he getting his own movie before being introduced in a Shazam sequel?

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Charlz Guybon posted:

Looks cool and all, but why is he getting his own movie before being introduced in a Shazam sequel?

because The Rock isn't getting any younger

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jedit posted:

This is Batman we're talking about here. PTSD is his origin story.

And whoever said Pattinson looks like a junkie jonesing for a fix has just very accurately described why Bruce Wayne does it.

That's what I'm saying. You have to be a complete psycho to walk straight into full auto, point blank gunfire lmao.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fishy Flip posted:

The suit may not be 100% bulletproof. It may have some weak points like the back of the arms where there's no armor in order to remain flexible. His head/face is for sure vulnerable. It also probably still hurts like hell getting shot and he ends up with bruises/welts all over his body. If that's true, it would still be really dangerous to go up against gun fire.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

They're only shooting at the bat symbol part which has always been hand waved as the most "bullet proofed" part of the costume.

At the end of the day it looks cool

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kaveman posted:

They're only shooting at the bat symbol part which has always been hand waved as the most "bullet proofed" part of the costume.

Yeah it’s a big shoot me here you dummies target (to avoid them considering true exposed jawline as a target).

Also gonna say whilst I can appreciate those Kirby panels, they’re definitely not the sort of art or aesthetic style I personally enjoy, so I probably would not read them if I saw them at a store. Admittedly I’m also probably not watching the Eternals until it’s free anyway so maybe I just don’t like The Eternals.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Why can't we get a true Usagi Yojimbo feature???? Also, Kirby owns. Nazis can eat dick.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Not really feeling Andy Serkis as Alfred, but willing to be surprised. It'd be rude to complain after two perfect film Alfreds in a row

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Plot twist: he's not Alfred, he's Dr. Kirk Langstrom and Serkis will be returning in the sequel as Man-Bat.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

2house2fly posted:

Not really feeling Andy Serkis as Alfred, but willing to be surprised. It'd be rude to complain after two perfect film Alfreds in a row

The scar makes me think they're going to lean into the characterization of Alfred as basically James Bond before he went into service for the Waynes but I think Serkis is good enough that whatever direction he goes with it will likely be enjoyable.

Never going to beat Irons-Alfred, but then who could.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kaveman posted:

They're clearly hitting him all over the place. He's just walking into them like iron man.

Also it does look cool

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The United States posted:

They're clearly hitting him all over the place. He's just walking into them like iron man.

Also it does look cool

Lmao the guy on the left

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
oh no guys he hit me! I'm out for the count!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Everyone in the cast of The Batman is amazing, but I feel like none of them were right for the roles.

Patinson as Batman, Serkis as Alfred, Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman, Colin Farrel as the Penguin, Jeff Wright as Gordon, and John Turtorro as Falcone.

All of them are great actors, but they all are strange fits for the parts and giving weird performances in the trailer. Everything except the actors and their performances looks interesting.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Getting The Crow vibes from that trailer which is a very good thing imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The title was very clear, he is not Crowman he is Batman

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mat Cauthon posted:

The scar makes me think they're going to lean into the characterization of Alfred as basically James Bond before he went into service for the Waynes but I think Serkis is good enough that whatever direction he goes with it will likely be enjoyable.

Never going to beat Irons-Alfred, but then who could.

Alfred being a badass has been a thing since the 60s at least, the Adam West show one took on the Joker and won.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just got back from seeing Venom 2, had a lot of fun with it. couldn't understand a drat thing venom said half the time, carnage(the symbiote itself) was barely a character until the last quarter of the movie, the screaming woman was basically a nonentity, the odd couple shtick was a bit overdone, explanations for how characters got where they were at any given time or knew what they knew were nonexsitent, and the dialogue was pretty terrible at times. I loved it.

I think Venom 1 is probably better, but gently caress THIS GUY! is definitely one of my favorite moments in a movie in the last few years. good ol' Venom, straight to the point with perfect delivery. Bonus for the 5-year-old behind me asking his dad what venom said and the dad stumbling over himself trying to explain it to him.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
That is a very good use of the one allowed F word in a PG-13 movie

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Alfred being a badass has been a thing since the 60s at least, the Adam West show one took on the Joker and won.
Yeah, but the gag has always been that the quiet and reserved butler secretly has this badass past. But at one point in the last decade, people started playing with the elimination of that duality in the character.

To be fair though, I’m not sure if the idea of a butler in the way Alfred is traditionally presented fully exists anymore? So, I think that might be part of it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Wonder if some of that is a holdover from when they were going to set it in the 90s.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I could go on a while about how bullets don’t make sparks and it looks like his suit is actually just stopping the rounds instead of catching them so they’d be fragmenting and throwing bits of metal in all directions, shredding his arms, neck, etc.

But it manages to look cool enough that it crosses over into Nunna That poo poo Matters territory. Hard to really do, somehow it’s rare for comic book movies to have moments that are invincibly cool.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

That is a very good use of the one allowed F word in a PG-13 movie
That's a myth.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, Rob is the same boat as Ledger where he proved he was a good actor a long time ago and grown men are being ridiculous and vaguely sexist that guys from girly things are in their boy thing.

To be fair - I've only ever seen him in Twilight, Harry Potter and Remember Me which I didn't enjoy. I mean, he was young in HP and Twilight ruined my favorite type of movies for me - and I only knew him as the dude from Twilight when i saw RM.

I want to say that, if hes a good actor, my memory of him is playing alongside Kristen Stewart who might as well be a robot.

I'm going to watch Spencer soon because I hear she is good in it, but what do you recommend i watch of his?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The Rover

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

To be fair - I've only ever seen him in Twilight, Harry Potter and Remember Me which I didn't enjoy. I mean, he was young in HP and Twilight ruined my favorite type of movies for me - and I only knew him as the dude from Twilight when i saw RM.

I want to say that, if hes a good actor, my memory of him is playing alongside Kristen Stewart who might as well be a robot.

I'm going to watch Spencer soon because I hear she is good in it, but what do you recommend i watch of his?
Good Time and The Lighthouse are definitely the big standouts, but I think everything post-Twilight I've seen him in is good.

Stewart's also good in Happiest Season, Lizzie, and Personal Shopper.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Crows Turn Off posted:

That's a myth.

I thought it two fucks.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Good Time and The Lighthouse are definitely the big standouts, but I think everything post-Twilight I've seen him in is good.

Stewart's also good in Happiest Season, Lizzie, and Personal Shopper.

Now I am ashamed of myself and as a result - I will watch all five of these movies soon.

Hopefully seeing Pattinson in something hes good in will make me more excited for Batman

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Batman trailer looks pretty good and I can't find much to complain about but, man, I think I'm just tired of superhero movies so I'm not overly geeked for it. I don't understand people complaining about Patterson's voice of all things after what Bale gave us either. He looked and sounded fine to me. Not real keen about a bullet proof Batman but maybe that's just a thing he uses for one fight or something.

Only part I cringed at was "we're not so different" but everything else looked kind of cool.

I like Michael Keaton but I think I'm gonna pass on The Flash based on what I'm seeing.

I really enjoyed Shazam and the Black Adam teaser looked...fine, for what we saw. Rock Johnson seems to have a lot of passion for the role so it might be fun and maybe set up a cool third movie if Shazam 2 works out. Dwayne Johnson as a bad guy murder machine might be fun.

I liked Aquaman well enough too but not enough to immediately want a sequel.

Haven't cared for the Tom Holland Spiderman movies and the new one looks like it's about to collapse the MCU under the same weight that over complicates the comics.

I never thought I'd say this but there are just too many loving comic book movies now. Only thing that might pique my interest would be a Fantastic 4 period piece so we can finally get a good FF movie. Or a Plastic Man movie that dives into the idea of a superhero as a willing celebrity.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Pattinson was the best part of Tenet.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Everyone posted:

I thought it two fucks.
Technically there isn't a rule. Usually it's 1 for no real reason. But The Martian and Knives Out have 2, for example.

There is some PG-13 documentary that has a couple dozen, but that might be different.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

I thought it two fucks.

The American President got three. It’s more about context.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ok, the one allowed F word in a PG-13 superhero movie

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Lmao the guy on the left

Dude should have known better than to wear slippy-shoes to the bat-fight.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ok, the one allowed F word in a PG-13 superhero movie

Alita has the best F word usage in the superhero genre.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Pillowpants posted:

In addition to the already mentioned The Lighthouse and Good Time he's perfect in Cosmopolis and High Life

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The real PG 13 F Word usage question is which character is gonna get to end No Way Home with “What the F—-!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/HarrisonQuinnO/status/1449504349948977156

teagone posted:

Alita has the best F word usage in the superhero genre.
Yeah, I guess Alita counts as a superhero movie. But did you see that Venom clip?