Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I’m having a pretty good time in Historic playing z-tier decks, like ur demilich or simic mutate and just pretending my losses are due to bad luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Bugsy posted:

Here's a snapshot of it with full sideboards.

https://mtgazone.com/historic-bo3-metagame-tier-list/

Thanks, quite helpful since goldfish seems to be behind on metagame information and I'm not gonna pay for the other services.

I'm guessing that for day one at least I should play something with a good auras matchup, just given how these things go.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Crackbone posted:

5 AlrunDragon decks in a row on Bo3 ladder. Ugh.

Yeah, I made Day 2 of the Arena event and faced three UR decks. Two of them used Ashmouth Dragon and I lost.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I like the creature logistics for the UR decks, there's no paradigm for what combination of Goldspan, Egg, and Leir is best, except that Leir deactivating all counterspells seems to make Eggs unhappy.

Probably annoying to have no idea which 3-8 four-toughness pricks are showing up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Their rationale for not banning Epiphany and Chariot was really dumb. I guess they are going to wait until Crimson Vow? But they are both on borrowed time.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
There are enough strategies that can beat Chariot that get unlocked once Epiphany is gone. They probably don't need to ban both.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'd like Epiphany to be banned so that I can buy one for cheap to add to my Jhoira of the Ghitu deck.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chariot is a really really good card but it’s not nearly as hard to deal with as Epiphany

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

There's so much artifact and creature removal in standard right now that chariot becomes a non-issue when epiphany gets the boot

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Watching some streamers doing the day 2 arena open thing yeaaaaah lmao epiphany, they really don’t want to give out wildcards.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mcmagic posted:

Their rationale for not banning Epiphany and Chariot was really dumb. I guess they are going to wait until Crimson Vow? But they are both on borrowed time.

Borrowed Time can target Chariot but not Epiphany.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sit on my Facebook posted:

There are enough strategies that can beat Chariot that get unlocked once Epiphany is gone. They probably don't need to ban both.

It doesn't solve the problem of standard looking too much like it did before rotation.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I’d rather they rotate every set knock the oldest one out when a new one is released

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Koirhor posted:

I’d rather they rotate every set knock the oldest one out when a new one is released

I think they would be really happy too, with all the money they would make.

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't solve the problem of standard looking too much like it did before rotation.

What? Standard right now Is nowhere like before the rotation.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 17, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

YggdrasilTM posted:

What? Standard right now Is nowhere like before the rotation.

Because of Epiphany decks. When gets the ban, if chariot doesn't, it's going to just be Innkeeper/Goldspan/Chariot decks dominating the format.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Koirhor posted:

I think you’re only saying that because you never experienced the short while where they actually tried that (it sucked)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think you’re only saying that because you never experienced the short while where they actually tried that (it sucked)

They should've gone with the rotation plan they had around BFZ where 18 months was the longest something could stay in Standard rather than 2 years.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
are people just full-time playing combo in mythic because mono-white/mono-green aggro and mono-black control are kinda pretty good and meta-defining right now too

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Koirhor posted:

Watching some streamers doing the day 2 arena open thing yeaaaaah lmao epiphany, they really don’t want to give out wildcards.

They're gonna do that dumb poo poo where they pretend a new set dropping will somehow fix Epiphany, and then after a few months post an article saying
"oh wow, turns out this really is busted".

TheKingofSprings posted:

EDIT: What sucked about it? The only thing I heard was it was somehow confusing for "casual tournament" players.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Crackbone posted:

EDIT: What sucked about it? The only thing I heard was it was somehow confusing for "casual tournament" players.

"The Two-Block Model allowed us to change how we were handling Standard. Instead of using two years' worth of sets, we could now use eighteen months' worth, rotating twice a year, once every six months. This, we felt, would allow us to have a faster-changing environment.

That didn't go over well. Players disliked having the lifespan of their cards shortened by six months, and they didn't enjoy more opportunities for their decks to become illegal. The response to this was so strong that we changed back to the old rotation system as soon as we had enough data to show how unpopular it was.

I bring this up now because this was a lesson of the Two-Block Model, just one we've already adjusted to."

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/metamorphosis-2-0-2017-06-12

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's worth noting that that experiment pre-dates Arena. Possibly it would go over better nowadays.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The three set per block and one block per year was the best rotation model

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabor posted:

It's worth noting that that experiment pre-dates Arena. Possibly it would go over better nowadays.

I think it would go over much worse since when cards rotate out of arena they might as well be deleted from existence. In paper they're at least worth a dime per rare

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

The three set per block and one block per year was the best rotation model

People keep saying this but can't ever name 4 blocks that were improved by both the 2nd and 3rd set.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lone Goat posted:

People keep saying this but can't ever name 4 blocks that were improved by both the 2nd and 3rd set.

Because they're not the same argument.
The third set was always blah but gave the format an extra few months to exist and let players squeeze out more plays using their desks which they built and improved over the block's release. With no blocks sets are completely disjointed and the decks you play from set to set are very different

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HootTheOwl posted:

I think it would go over much worse since when cards rotate out of arena they might as well be deleted from existence. In paper they're at least worth a dime per rare

Completely irrelevant - the objections were all about the amount of gameplay they get out of their cards before they rotate, whether or not you can get a pittance back from them afterwards doesn't play into that at all.

The reason it'd go over better is that with Arena, people play many more games to explore the format, explore the cards, and get tired of them. The big objections were from players that played four matches a week at FNM, now people do that every single day.

(Though it's worth noting that Goldspan Dragon -> Alrund's Epiphany would be legal for just as long under either scheme)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabor posted:

Completely irrelevant - the objections were all about the amount of gameplay they get out of their cards before they rotate, whether or not you can get a pittance back from them afterwards doesn't play into that at all.

The reason it'd go over better is that with Arena, people play many more games to explore the format, explore the cards, and get tired of them. The big objections were from players that played four matches a week at FNM, now people do that every single day.

(Though it's worth noting that Goldspan Dragon -> Alrund's Epiphany would be legal for just as long under either scheme)
It's only irrelevant if you just assume players can snap cards into their deck with no cost for acquisition. Rotation happens and you're going to find yourself mad you only got to play with your deck for a little bit but in paper my deck gets to pay for the next deck. In arena I have to start all over because they economy is garbage.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lone Goat posted:

Mirage block, Tempest block, Invasion block

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HootTheOwl posted:

It's only irrelevant if you just assume players can snap cards into their deck with no cost for acquisition. Rotation happens and you're going to find yourself mad you only got to play with your deck for a little bit but in paper my deck gets to pay for the next deck. In arena I have to start all over because they economy is garbage.

The ten bucks you get from selling your old rares doesn't "pay for your next deck" and never has.

Unless you zeroed out your Arena account in the leadup to a set release, you've banked enough gold, gems and wildcards to make a start on the new set. This is true regardless of whether it's a rotation set or not.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 18, 2021

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

I think they're gonna design the game for people who actually acquire cards and not get just 7 booster packs per set

Silhouette posted:

ok so nothing in the past 2 decades lol

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lone Goat posted:

"The Two-Block Model allowed us to change how we were handling Standard. Instead of using two years' worth of sets, we could now use eighteen months' worth, rotating twice a year, once every six months. This, we felt, would allow us to have a faster-changing environment.

That didn't go over well. Players disliked having the lifespan of their cards shortened by six months, and they didn't enjoy more opportunities for their decks to become illegal. The response to this was so strong that we changed back to the old rotation system as soon as we had enough data to show how unpopular it was.

I bring this up now because this was a lesson of the Two-Block Model, just one we've already adjusted to."

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/metamorphosis-2-0-2017-06-12

Yeah I saw the article, but that doesn’t mean the format sucked, just that people were salty about cards leaving standard sooner.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabor posted:

The ten bucks you get from selling your old rares doesn't "pay for your next deck" and never has.

Unless you zeroed out your Arena account in the leadup to a set release, you've banked enough gold, gems and wildcards to make a start on the new set. This is true regardless of whether it's a rotation set or not.

I guess your magic experience in 2006 was very different than mine :shrug:

I've already spoken to death on Arena's ecconomy but if you think you're anywhere near having enough wildcards to build a deck in the rarity=playability era then you're just fooling yourself.
https://magic.gg/decklists/magic-world-championship-xxvii-standard-decklists Here's Izzet Ephany, listed as the top deck over at Goldfish and I clicked the link at their first example which took me here.
The deck is 24 rares 9 mythics. You're not building that after rotation unless you already were playing some Izzet deck and happened into them.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Lone Goat posted:

Ravnica 1, Time Spiral, Innistrad 1.

I wasn't around for Khans but I've heard people sing the praises of that block as well.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You can also have more than one rotation a year without shortening the length of legality or shrinking the standard card pool. I think as usual they drew the wrong lesson from the feedback.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Silhouette posted:

magic used to be real

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HootTheOwl posted:

I guess your magic experience in 2006 was very different than mine :shrug:

I've already spoken to death on Arena's ecconomy but if you think you're anywhere near having enough wildcards to build a deck in the rarity=playability era then you're just fooling yourself.
https://magic.gg/decklists/magic-world-championship-xxvii-standard-decklists Here's Izzet Ephany, listed as the top deck over at Goldfish and I clicked the link at their first example which took me here.
The deck is 24 rares 9 mythics. You're not building that after rotation unless you already were playing some Izzet deck and happened into them.

How much were you able to sell your rotated-out Standard rares for in 2006, and how many of them did you need to sell to buy a deck?

You're the one that's claiming a dime a rare, it's pretty obvious to anyone who can do math that that's not buying you a new deck.

I'll post a screenshot of my wildcard hoard when I get back to my computer, it's pretty paltry compared to some other people but I'm playing literally any deck I want every format with no trouble.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabor posted:

How much were you able to sell your rotated-out Standard rares for in 2006, and how many of them did you need to sell to buy a deck?

You're the one that's claiming a dime a rare, it's pretty obvious to anyone who can do math that that's not buying you a new deck.
About half, usually.
Because you get a few bucks for the parts that rotated out, the ones that stayed legal get traded for the new stuff and you buy the rest.
Arena the rotate out, and the parts that are still legal either need to be part of your new deck or you're SOL.

quote:

I'll post a screenshot of my wildcard hoard when I get back to my computer, it's pretty paltry compared to some other people but I'm playing literally any deck I want every format with no trouble.
Congrats. I don't really care. I know I have 3 rares 10 mythics. If something in VOW comes out which invalidates my MID deck I'm still priced into it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

Ravnica 1, Time Spiral, Innistrad 1.

I wasn't around for Khans but I've heard people sing the praises of that block as well.

Khans was never a 3 set draft block and each set made it worse than the previous

3x Khans was great, Khans/Fate Reforged was bad, Dragons of Tarkir/FRF was even worse

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think if you draft and play quite a bit during three or four sets you can probably make a deck or two after rotation, which was mostly my experience...but I'll say that I've bought some gems for drafting recently since I'm especially bad at MID for whatever reason. I'm still super far away from being able to build the two mono-color powerhouses and Historic...lol.

Still cheaper than paper by a mile tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HootTheOwl posted:

About half, usually.
Because you get a few bucks for the parts that rotated out, the ones that stayed legal get traded for the new stuff and you buy the rest.

Unless you had a truly mythical store that didn't bother to update prices on anything, the rares from your old deck that didn't exist any more in the new meta didn't stay that high.

If it was still in a meta deck and thus was still worth something ... well that's exactly the situation you're presenting where you can keep playing with them on Arena too.