Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
This boss underwater feels very tedious and not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mooseontheloose posted:

make sure you shoot the big buttons

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Mooseontheloose posted:

use the grapple beam to avoid the arms when they group together. when the red and blue blobs come shoot out the blue ones with normal beam first and then move into the free space to fire missiles. i was having a poo poo time til i started using the grapple

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

make sure you shoot the big buttons

E: not sure if i should spoil so erring on the side of caution.

That took me a minute to figure out. I was wondering why I couldn’t ever make it to the other side of him with the sliding spider platform on the roof. Then I shot the big button and it all made sense.

Don’t forget on a lot of bosses you can duck under some attacks.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 17, 2021

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Hard mode is very straightforward until you get to a boss and then it's "Holy poo poo, this is hard.". I feel like you get way less health items from enemies too. Thankfully there are a lot of refills everywhere which is nice.

I also don't know if this is a hard mode thing or something I never noticed but saving didn't refill your health and missiles.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SalTheBard posted:

I also don't know if this is a hard mode thing or something I never noticed but saving didn't refill your health and missiles.

That’s normal mode as well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only complaints I have visually about the game are how choppy particle effects and fire effects look. Other than that it's pretty good looking.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I laughed pretty hard at the idea of (slight area spoilers) an underground forest

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zoran posted:

I laughed pretty hard at the idea of (slight area spoilers) an underground forest

There's definitely light and water, the two things that would normally be in short supply.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

ikanreed posted:

There's definitely light and water, the two things that would normally be in short supply.

I know sci-fi doesn't have be realistic and the chozo probably have advanced terraforming (subterraforming?) technology. But i did say out loud "how am i at an ocean and still underground?" when i got to Burenia.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean, it’s not impossible.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Underground lakes and such are definitely a thing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I will never be able to speed run this game effectively because whether my manual aim connects with the enemy or the grapple point when they are at any angle besides perfectly horizontal is in the hands of God.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On hints for future games.

Right before you fight the Golden Elite Chozo. You see some Chozo ships. After the fight with Raven Beak, you go to the same area and the ships are gone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MonsterEnvy posted:

On hints for future games.

Right before you fight the Golden Elite Chozo. You see some Chozo ships. After the fight with Raven Beak, you go to the same area and the ships are gone.

this would mean that the X escaped and is spreading now via the makwan.

Also, any idea why Ravensbeak isn’t affected by the X until his power suit is damaged? Samus’ powersuit wasn’t able to stop an X infection. Why would his be any different?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, any idea why Ravensbeak isn’t affected by the X until his power suit is damaged? Samus’ powersuit wasn’t able to stop an X infection. Why would his be any different?

An upgrade installed after the first X attack wiped out most of the colony?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Nice! posted:

Probably cause he was in a ship high in the atmosphere while they were running wild.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It doesn't need to be anything more complicated than 'his is really good'. He's basically the king of the warrior tribe and he's deliberately been breeding X parasites, it seems reasonable he'd have a poo poo-hot super power armour suit proofed against X penetration

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Mr. Nice! posted:

Who's to say he isn't? He spends most of the game in his spaceship far from the planet's surface, where there are no X.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought that was why he lived so high above the surface.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cross bombs are neat but do they ever actually matter or are they just a nice to have sort of thing? I'm trying to think of anywhere they'd get me that an infinite bomb jump wouldn't and I can't recall anywhere

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Cross bombs are neat but do they ever actually matter or are they just a nice to have sort of thing? I'm trying to think of anywhere they'd get me that an infinite bomb jump wouldn't and I can't recall anywhere

You can use them to travel vertically across multple disintergrating blocks

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
There were no puzzle fights, which meant there was never a combat use for cross bombs.

That's been the big difference between the main and prime series: in combat main games emphasize movement mastery, and attack patterns, while prime always emphasized figuring out weaknesses

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I tried to get the shinespark kill on the Experiment in Cataris but the first time I got it, it didn't register I hit him, and the second time it didn't register AND I took damage from a swipe. The third time it wouldn't stop screw attacking so I gave up and just shot it to death. gently caress you too I guess.

Also lol the storm missile phase is just "can you sweep this before the aoe pulse hurts you"

haha I don't think I used storm missiles in that fight at all, or the shinespark trick, I think I just spammed super missiles.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

multijoe posted:

You can use them to travel vertically across multple disintergrating blocks

I feel like I've been juking those anyway though, but I guess it is more convenient :v:

Khanstant posted:

haha I don't think I used storm missiles in that fight at all, or the shinespark trick, I think I just spammed super missiles.

Standard missiles work on the regen phase? It seemed like it was blocking my shots.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Cross bombs are good for even simpler infinite bomb jumps, because you can just hammer the button mindlessly with no timing required and ascend at a decent rate.

And combined with regular bombs you can do some really fast vertical movement. 3 bombs (cross + normal + cross) is enough to propel you an entire room's height into a very precise spot in like 2 seconds.

Very niche usability and it's kind of annoying that they share a button with PBs, but they're nice to have.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol that the one and only change in any of these EMMI sequences so far is that the purple one only pretends to get stunned. If you do it'll instant kill you if you go over it anyway.

e: Oh wow the framerate's taking a huge poo poo in Hanubia

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 17, 2021

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'm looking for what few items I'm missing, and at this point it's just saying gently caress it and powerbombing everything.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Waffle! posted:

I'm looking for what few items I'm missing, and at this point it's just saying gently caress it and powerbombing everything.

There have been full-item maps online for like, weeks at this point?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Yeah but powerbombs do that cool rear end explosion and singularity effect

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Powerbombs are part of how I found the last few things. They're the loving best for exploring. I didn't look up anything except the last item because I simply didn't know I could shinespark mid air or dash into slopes and keep going. Even then, I knew where the item was, just not how to get there because of missing knowledge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow the final boss is tedious

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

RBA Starblade posted:

Wow the final boss is tedious

you can dodge basically everything he does with few exceptions. Once you get the hang of the first phase, you can blow through it fast to get to the second. Also, remember to spend the four missiles it takes to kill the black orbs every time he shoots them. Remember there's no time limit, so just take your time to learn to dodge everything. mash your blaster as much as you can during the qtes.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I think I managed to accidentally do the most inconsequential sequence break in the game by getting scan pulse early

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Nice! posted:

you can dodge basically everything he does with few exceptions. Once you get the hang of the first phase, you can blow through it fast to get to the second. Also, remember to spend the four missiles it takes to kill the black orbs every time he shoots them. Remember there's no time limit, so just take your time to learn to dodge everything. mash your blaster as much as you can during the qtes.

I've been powerbombing the orbs, but him just sitting in his gold phase for five minutes before deciding to taunt so we move on is awful. The winged form just randomly dropping inputs leading to the screw attack failing leading to five energy tanks gone because by the end it's clear the Switch can barely handle Dread is also getting old.

Rude of him to just lead the target if you try to use the shift, too

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been powerbombing the orbs, but him just sitting in his gold phase for five minutes before deciding to taunt so we move on is awful.

You can parry his stinger punch as well, even in the gold armor phase. You don't have to wait just for the taunt.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TaurusOxford posted:

You can parry his stinger punch as well, even in the gold armor phase. You don't have to wait just for the taunt.

I've never succeeded on the two times he ever did it so it didn't help lol. I spent most of the first phase attempts stuck against a wall for 9-10 energy tanks of damage as it juggled off and he just kept slashing. The first third phase attempt I nailed though.

Finally got it down and wrapped up. I think I like the game as much as I hate the lovely parts. I'll definitely go round up the remaining items to grab and do some sequence breaking but with the EMMIs I don't know how much fun I'll find that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

tbh that's really poorly telegraphed, the counter-glint is mostly obscured by the battle aura and the speed of the attack itself, and the game's previous 8-9 hours have been spent teaching you "RED MEANS BAD" where melee attacks are concerned

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also, just how many planets did the Chozo rig to blow? What the hell birds

Also lol how despite how being out of the loop the whole game Adam immediately figured out what was about to happen if Samus pressed a button.
It feels a little weird having no additional wrapup than that though.

e: Cleared in 9:20 at 75% completion too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been powerbombing the orbs, but him just sitting in his gold phase for five minutes before deciding to taunt so we move on is awful. The winged form just randomly dropping inputs leading to the screw attack failing leading to five energy tanks gone because by the end it's clear the Switch can barely handle Dread is also getting old.

Rude of him to just lead the target if you try to use the shift, too

lol you're supposed to move in close when he glows gold so he'll do an attack you can counter