Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bruceski posted:

I thought Zenos stopped the rebellion and left Yotsuyu to pick up the pieces? The whole point was he was administrating over two distant regions and stretched thin when matters required his personal attention.
I thought he deliberately put Yotsuyu in charge of Doma in order to see if femdomocracy would produce exciting sport for him to hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nessus posted:

I thought he deliberately put Yotsuyu in charge of Doma in order to see if femdomocracy would produce exciting sport for him to hunt.

This is it. He thought such terrible conditions would bring rise to a hero that would be able to challenge them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This is it. He thought such terrible conditions would bring rise to a hero that would be able to challenge them.
It's kind of a shame because while she certainly went out with a bang, given how things have evolved, Yotsuyu would be joining our Trust missions by force because she probably would hate Garlemald more than we do right now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Imagine being promoted not just out of what you can do well, but specifically because you'd be bad at your new job.

And not even to an end that actually worked out! Not only did the WoL come from abroad, but Hien specifically became a capable leader because he wasn't there to live under how poo poo a job she was doing.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nessus posted:

femdomcracy

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

Imagine being promoted not just out of what you can do well, but specifically because you'd be bad at your new job.

And not even to an end that actually worked out! Not only did the WoL come from abroad, but Hien specifically became a capable leader because he wasn't there to live under how poo poo a job she was doing.

Kind of, Zenos expected two potential outcomes and both would satisfy him. On a personal level, her mistreatment of the Doma leading to a rebellion with a strong beast for him to hunt would satisfy, on an impersonal/imperial level her mistreatment would grind their national spirit to dust and leave the incapable of rebellion which would also satisfy him.

I think post death and resurrection he focuses on the hunt to the exclusion of all else because in part he's lost all interest in everything else after meeting his best friend. Remember he's described as an excellent battlefield tactician in his conquests as well as a somewhat cunning if cruel ruler. But he throws that aside when he has someone or something to hunt because whilst he's good at those things he doesn't care about them more than he cares about personal strength and satisfaction especially now that he's actually found what he wanted in his beast (the WoL).

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Or how in ARR and HW, people who want to go to war with Garlemald are treated as warmongers and should be stopped, but then from Stormblood marching on Garlemald is treated as the righteous thing to do and people who want to hold back are treated as incapable of doing what needs to be done. And so on.

I thought this was one of the most interesting turns the story made, personally. No one was willing to invade Garlean-occupied Ala Mhigo; even Raubahn, who dreamed of liberating the country, was hesitant. The alliance needed to be forced into it, and as morally reprehensible as Ilberd's plan was... it worked. Ala Mhigo was ultimately liberated, and his actions are what got the ball rolling. There were doubtlessly far less tragic ways to spark off the revolution, but Ilberd took action when nobody else was willing to - not even the WoL.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pigbuster posted:

I thought this was one of the most interesting turns the story made, personally. No one was willing to invade Garlean-occupied Ala Mhigo; even Raubahn, who dreamed of liberating the country, was hesitant. The alliance needed to be forced into it, and as morally reprehensible as Ilberd's plan was... it worked. Ala Mhigo was ultimately liberated, and his actions are what got the ball rolling. There were doubtlessly far less tragic ways to spark off the revolution, but Ilberd took action when nobody else was willing to - not even the WoL.

Much like Ysayle, who may have been misguided in her motivations, but was ultimately correct about the whole Dragonsong war far before anyone else was.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 17, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ilberd's true plan was foiled by Papalymo, and then Omega. Shinryu was contained, and its presence is what allowed the Eorzean alliance to gain a foothold.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
His true plan was to force the Alliance into action. Whether or not Shinryu destroyed everything was kind of secondary, its very presence and its threat to the Garleans was enough. edit: Actually I'm not so sure now. I swore he said something to that effect somewhere, but it wasn't when he was dying so I dunno. It is fair to say his primary wish was to liberate Ala Mhigo and his actions caused that, even if it wasn't with a dragon devastation montage set to a kickin' rad guitar solo.

https://twitter.com/shibakazs/status/1423278267566460928/photo/1

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 17, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TGLT posted:

His true plan was to force the Alliance into action. Whether or not Shinryu destroyed everything was kind of secondary, its very presence and its threat to the Garleans was enough. edit: Actually I'm not so sure now. I swore he said something to that effect somewhere, but it wasn't when he was dying so I dunno. It is fair to say his primary wish was to liberate Ala Mhigo and his actions caused that, even if it wasn't with a dragon devastation montage set to a kickin' rad guitar solo.

No it wasn’t. That was his recruitment message, but he hated Ala Mhigo for giving up the fight, and hated the alliance for not trying to liberate Ala Mhigo. He wanted both destroyed and used the calamity as inspiration.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

No it wasn’t. That was his recruitment message, but he hated Ala Mhigo for giving up the fight, and hated the alliance for not trying to liberate Ala Mhigo. He wanted both destroyed and used the calamity as inspiration.

You're mistaking his bitterness over feeling abandoned with a change in motivation. He still wants to liberate Ala Mhigo and he's pissed that - to him - he seems like the only one willing to do what it takes to do it. It's why he's so angry with Raubahn.

edit: There's a line Raubahn says, I think either at the end of 3.5 or the start of Stormblood, that really only works with the understanding that Ilberd - for all his faults - genuinely wanted what he fought for.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 17, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TGLT posted:

You're mistaking his bitterness over feeling abandoned with a change in motivation. He still wants to liberate Ala Mhigo and he's pissed that - to him - he seems like the only one willing to do what it takes to do it. It's why he's so angry with Raubahn.

No he doesn't. You're misunderstanding what he means there.

He is saying "I am going to kill all of them and then use their power to 'liberate' the homeland in fire and blood." He's gone from wanting to free the homeland to wanting to kill both the Garleans and his own kinsmen.

He went from wanting to free his country to wanting to slaughter his enemies real or perceived. His image for the Primal was the Dreadwyrm Bahamut who anyone from Eorzea is going to view as a WMD that ravages the land. This is why Lunar Bahamut showing up freaked people out so much even though he was owned relatively easily because Bahamut is synonymous with rampant horrifying destruction.

He wasn't Evil With An E to begin wtih, he was a broken desperate man who was pushed to the absolute edge and decided on a primal summoning regardless of the cost, y'know, just like the beast tribes.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 17, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
There's really nothing there about him wanting to kill his own kinsmen though. Like he's super explicit in how angry he is with his fellow Ala Mhigans around Ul'dah for their lack of fervor but he's still committed to his cause. He'll kill everyone if that's what it takes but there's no quotation marks around liberation for him. He's Raubahn's bitter and angry reflection. It's why this line works despite what Ilberd does on his way out.

Shinryu also isn't Bahamut - it's a Doman myth. There's at least one (culinarian) quest going into some of the cultural cross pollination between Doma and Ala Mhigo. He's invoking the calamity to say he's going to summon something even worse than Bahamut because when Alphinaud talks about the limitations of primals, Ilberd is only thinking about their ability to destroy things. Bahamut got contained. He thinks he can summon something that no one can stop using the eyes and human sacrifice.

If he had actually gotten everything he wanted and Shinryu was let loose there's a pretty decent chance it would have left nothing behind sure, but that's like everyone who summons a primal. They think they get one thing and it's always another.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's only called Shinryu because the Doman agents on site thought it lined up with their mythological beast. The name doesn't matter for the intent.

Everyone thought he was going to summon Rhalgr, the Destroyer, to liberate the country. He could have. But he specifically chose a tool of hate and destruction, instead of something created to lead the Ala Mhigans to victory. He wanted another calamity, and Ala Mhigo wouldn't have been spared.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

TGLT posted:

There's really nothing there about him wanting to kill his own kinsmen though. Like he's super explicit in how angry he is with his fellow Ala Mhigans around Ul'dah for their lack of fervor but he's still committed to his cause. He'll kill everyone if that's what it takes but there's no quotation marks around liberation for him. He's Raubahn's bitter and angry reflection. It's why this line works despite what Ilberd does on his way out.

Shinryu also isn't Bahamut - it's a Doman myth. There's at least one (culinarian) quest going into some of the cultural cross pollination between Doma and Ala Mhigo. He's invoking the calamity to say he's going to summon something even worse than Bahamut because when Alphinaud talks about the limitations of primals, Ilberd is only thinking about their ability to destroy things. Bahamut got contained. He thinks he can summon something that no one can stop using the eyes and human sacrifice.

If he had actually gotten everything he wanted and Shinryu was let loose there's a pretty decent chance it would have left nothing behind sure, but that's like everyone who summons a primal. They think they get one thing and it's always another.

The nature of what you want affects what you get though. That's why Ramuh can be reasoned with. I don't know if Ilberd explicitly wants to destroy Ala Mhigo, but I think his bitterness towards all the people who will no longer rise up to save it goes so deep that in his true heart he no longer cares whether the people of Ala Mhigo are free, so long as his enemies are punished.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I don't think Ga Bu wanted to kill the Warrior of Light. You can influence primals, but they're pretty consistently the worst manifestation of what their summoners want - like with Tiamat and Bahamut. Ilberd makes it very clear he thinks violent action alone is what it will take to accomplish his objective, and sacrificing a ton of his countrymen to Shinryu is the final manifestation of that yeah, but his whole character arc during 3.x - from confronting Raubahn about abandoning the fight to Raubahn acknowledging his wishes at the very end - is about his obsession with liberating his homeland. To the point he no longer thinks of his fellow Ala Mhigans as anything more than resources to accomplish that goal, sure. He's a foil for the other Ala Mhigans revolutionaries in Stormblood - Raubahn and Lyse. Conrad too, I suppose, in that Conrad is on the verge of surrendering the fight as he cares more about his people than an abstract Ala Mhigo whereas Ilberd would clearly rather die than do that.

edit: Also now I remember why I initially thought his primary plan was to drag the Alliance into conflict with the Garleans, and that's because that was the whole point of them all running around in stolen uniforms. A false flag to pin the assault on Baelsar's wall and the subsequent primal summoning on the Eorzean Alliance, which would inevitably put the two back into a state of open war.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 17, 2021

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
i kinda figured the doman thing was just a localization excuse cause in japanese calling a primal dragon shinryu would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do, though i haven't actually checked

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Shinryu was an excuse to have Omega vs Shinryu.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean yeah the reality is it's Shinryu because the designers wanted to have the Shinryu/Omega callback and everything else is a lore justification for him summoning a big legless dragon.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Shinryu has legs, just also has a long body

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Argas posted:

It’s most notable in Extreme Shinryu thanks to the final phase. But to be honest it’s a pretty visually awful phase because Shinryu is just too drat big to fight his feet/body and have it feel okay visually .

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

petcarcharodon posted:

i kinda figured the doman thing was just a localization excuse cause in japanese calling a primal dragon shinryu would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do, though i haven't actually checked

As far as I'm aware pretty much all the proper nouns in Eorzea are the same in the Japanese and English clients, and none of them sound much like Japanese, so it's unlikely the Eorzeans would have called something Shinryu themselves.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Argas posted:

also are those really legs on ff14 shinryu, really, i mean really, does ff14 shinryu have legs really for real

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

not my fault I forgot they gave the dragon vestigial feet with weird bone protrusions attached

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

strong Daily Dinosaur Comics energy from that picture

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ah, I see, old Shinryu was a wyrm, and new Shinryu is a wyvern.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There are front legs, too, they just blend in. Look under Shinryu's chin for his left foreleg, and you can make out the right one if you look in the correct spot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yup. He's such a busy mess lol. Usually poorly lit too

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Begemot posted:

Ah, I see, old Shinryu was a wyrm, and new Shinryu is a y-burn.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Those weird spiked breastbone projections look so ungainly and non-aerodynamic

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Guivre

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The in-universe reason we got Shinryu is because Ilberd wasn't all that creative. He wanted a primal to wreck up the place, but didn't really care for a specific one. He was summoning using dragon's eyes, though, so... sure, screw it, dragon, why not!

Its weird design might actually be in part due to that; he's a dragon as drawn by someone who doesn't really know what a dragon looks like. "So it's mostly snake-like, and there's wings, and... there's limbs, I guess? Somewhere? They're not, like, big limbs, right? Do dragons have hair?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

The in-universe reason we got Shinryu is because Ilberd wasn't all that creative. He wanted a primal to wreck up the place, but didn't really care for a specific one. He was summoning using dragon's eyes, though, so... sure, screw it, dragon, why not!

Its weird design might actually be in part due to that; he's a dragon as drawn by someone who doesn't really know what a dragon looks like. "So it's mostly snake-like, and there's wings, and... there's limbs, I guess? Somewhere? They're not, like, big limbs, right? Do dragons have hair?"

yea I think that is the vibe they were going for, a general kinda 'this guy doesn't really give a poo poo, he's maybe heard of some dragons but doesn't really think too hard about them beyond them being massive and destructive forces'

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He literally witnessed the calamity, the same calamity that took his family. His idea of the end of a world is a dragon. That's why Shinryu is a dragon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/balphinaud/status/1449781810875957248?s=21

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

'we're the parents now'

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Incidentally, a neat thing I learned yesterday: When Cyella is talking to us about Mitron, the French script is the only language that uses a gender--and it uses feminine pronouns. When asked about it, the French localization confirmed it wasn't a mistake.

Given the name 'Artemis' and the overall feminine design of Eden's Promise, it adds to some very loud subtext about Mitron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kind of what I believed where gender might either be fluid or non-existent for the ancients. After all they could shape their body at will, they could always look how they wanted. Still I like that that's confirmed and would've enjoyed if it was a bit louder. Not that I mind the current vibe of lesbian rescues bi woman from clingy ex, but I think it feels more equal if Mitron is also a woman.