Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Say what you like about death and suffering themselves but at least Tories can commit to delivering something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So when Labour was talking about people forced to choose between food and heating that was 'identity politics' and therefore bad, but now Labour needs to stop focusing on policy and start developing an identity, which is good?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's identity politics when the other people do it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's OK to hate Tories, in fact it's good.

I read this extremely dull piece and the funny thing that I had forgotten is that Dan Hodges considers himself to be on the left. No, he doesn't support left policies, he's an authoritarian strongly against enacting any kind of redistribution, he writes for the Mail, Telegraph and Spectator and he's voted Tory since 2012. But he feels like he's left wing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm reminded of Chomsky talking about how politically left and right don't actually mean anything useful 90% of the time. Which I'm sure he could probably argue about most words, but at least most words can be narrowed down to two or three contextual meanings that (outside of deliberately dadaist or postmodern lit) are fairly rigid across the span of at least a paragraph, and have colloquial or specialized terminological uses that are mutually intelligible within a known group, whereas far right means racists that want the utilities back in public hands and far left means ordained reverends of the established church who sit on a road sometimes and the whole thing is a bucket of piss, much like Dan Hodges.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It really loving beggars belief.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/17/abuse-threats-aggression-the-fear-that-stalks-mps-on-britains-streets

The amount of people bringing up Rayner is nuts.

quote:

Shailesh Vara, the Tory MP for North West Cambridgeshire and a former minister, said the kind of language used by people when communicating with MPs either on social media, or by other means, was becoming more hostile and aggressive all the time. “To call me the C-word, or to refer to politicians as bastards, and to use unpleasant and aggressive tones is normal for some people these days.”

No loving poo poo. Maybe if they weren't obviously and systematically loving the country while making posh mooing noises people might be less angry.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Refer to 'politicians' as bastards.

No, just Tory cunts responsible for hundreds of thousands of dead vulnerable people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you don't want people to think you're a dickhead maybe run the country better.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's a phrase I learned from this thread, but yet again it's liberals policing tone and not content, because they don't understand the content enough to engage with it, but they have memorised a list of the bad words you shouldn't say.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I think it's very telling that the right wing press have been given the opportunity to do some more islamaphobia but they haven't even bothered, now the cultural enemy is just anyone who dares challenge Tory hegemony in any way.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It just feels like the entire discourse is a combination of ad hominem and false dilemma (maybe there's a term for that a smarter person will know)

Either you are aghast at the discourse against MPs or you support their murder. If you aren't publicly hand wringingly upset that a tory was murdered you are advocating for further violence against MPs.

If you point out all the terrible things MPs have voted for, you're clearly the problem as you should be being respectful during such a harrowing time.

It's all just so... Disingenuous.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I like Jay Rayner’s restaurant reviews. This is particularly good, especially the ending

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/oct/17/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-kebab-kid-london-take-away-as-a-cult-nusr-et-steakhouse

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

If you don't want people to think you're a dickhead maybe run the country better.

Actually you should be respectful for different political views (no, not those ones, those are dangers)

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Nationalized :yeshaha:

Wait I mean loony left ideas Cobryn :argh:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1449700223694123011?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

He's usually pretty decent but, predictably, completely lost his mind about corbyn

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

and a bonus call for violence

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Was having a nice coffee and a sit down with my mum. Amess came up and how nobody seems to care about his voting record for fear of decorum and she just said "Dear... he was a catholic. Did you expect him to be tolerant of gay or black people?"

It's just the sort of 'of course he was awful... what did you expect?' that gets me. Maybe that's why people just don't care. It's just normal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe it's just me, but writing off 1.3bn people as inherently bigoted just because of their religious affiliation seems a lot worse than just holding people to higher social standards.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And it also doesn't explain why we then have to be polite and conciliatory about his life. It's bad that he was murdered, but gently caress pretending to care that he's dead.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

fuctifino posted:

and a bonus call for violence

i presume Dick Bedford of Cullompton, Devon will be the one leading the horse charge

apropos to nothing, October 5, 1936 is the Battle of Cable street, isnt it? kinda interesting to see this dude go almost entirely mask-off and salivate at the thought of the police exercising their monopoly on violence on behalf of literal, honest-to-God fascists

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe it's just me, but writing off 1.3bn people as inherently bigoted just because of their religious affiliation seems a lot worse than just holding people to higher social standards.

Yeaaah, not a fan of catholicism (or any religion) but /shrug catholics, that's none of my business and they should be free to believe and practice whatever they want. Though I hope I don't have to clarify my stance on that before this gets into a massive religion derail! Twitter is bad enough right now.

Just old parent being old and ... well at least she's not fake concerning about nigerian immigrants "being cold" anymore.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

nurmie posted:

i presume Dick Bedford of Cullompton, Devon will be the one leading the horse charge

apropos to nothing, October 5, 1936 is the Battle of Cable street, isnt it? kinda interesting to see this dude go almost entirely mask-off and salivate at the thought of the police exercising their monopoly on violence on behalf of literal, honest-to-God fascists

I think he might be a bit old to lead any charges. He retired as a football club 'welfare officer' in 2017

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mebh posted:

Was having a nice coffee and a sit down with my mum. Amess came up and how nobody seems to care about his voting record for fear of decorum and she just said "Dear... he was a catholic. Did you expect him to be tolerant of gay or black people?"

It's just the sort of 'of course he was awful... what did you expect?' that gets me. Maybe that's why people just don't care. It's just normal.

The central tenant of Catholicism is Jesus's message of "Love Thy Neighbor."

Yes it very often get's overlooked, many people have used the trappings of the religion to justify evil things.
But the answer to her question is yes. Catholics are supposed to be tolerant of gay and black people. And everybody. That's what the Religion is about.

You can make a whole load of other arguments about how effective it is, how much they mean it, is the organized element more concerned with consolidation of power than what it's tenants stand for and everything else.
But the religion itself is supposed to be about tolerance at the very least. Actually helping out and love at the higher end.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Dick Headford of Cum-mop-town

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nurmie posted:

A few years ago I'd have had to assume that was someone taking the piss because they're referring to a thing that was in the paper the day before, and (presumably) the same story would have mentioned how the baton charges didn't actually work, and the fash (in black and in blue) Did Not Pass. Now, who loving knows?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ah yes catholics known around the world for being notoriously tolerant of LGBT+ and women’s rights.

Lol at any absolute weapon actually posting a wall of text about how tolerant the Catholic Church is actually

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
So I am wondering what to do with my cancelled Labour membership fees. I was thinking of giving them to a food bank. Are there other organisations that are worth spending time and money on?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I accidentally put my wallet through the wash recently, it had my old labour card in it. Which got torn to shreds.

All other cards were ok. It amused me that it was less durable than a freaking business card from Halifax.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Now we're out the EU what even are the consequences of pissing them off?

WRT ECHR none, Russia is technically part of it. It's not binding on non-members.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

learnincurve posted:

Ah yes catholics known around the world for being notoriously tolerant of LGBT+ and women’s rights.

Lol at any absolute weapon actually posting a wall of text about how tolerant the Catholic Church is actually

The church has tremendous problems and is extremely backward in some of its teachings, though not as much as some other churches. catholics are as diverse a group of people in terms of beliefs as any other group. It's practically required to fundamentally disagree with some aspect of church teaching or another. The answer to 'why stay catholic then' has answers that involve genuine religious beliefs though so I don't usually talk about them here.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1449776338450141242?t=hZ98HD1E35Zr-tsLKfDvGQ&s=19

The king

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mebh posted:

I accidentally put my wallet through the wash recently, it had my old labour card in it. Which got torn to shreds.

All other cards were ok. It amused me that it was less durable than a freaking business card from Halifax.

...to shreds you say?

tsk tsk tsk

...and the Labour polling numbers?

oh

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

forkboy84 posted:

I'd say you sound like Iosif Dzugashvili (seriously, the way that radical Feminist Marxists like Alexandra Kollontai were treated by the Party loving blew, & also gently caress anyone who has ever described homosexuality as "bourgeois degeneracy")

just for the record I am NOT socially conservative.

I'm a class reductionist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I mean, we have got Sinn Fein one country over, who are both the most Catholic and the most progressive parties by a considerable measure.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, we have got Sinn Fein one country over, who are both the most Catholic and the most progressive parties by a considerable measure.

Well, that second title probably goes to PBP, with their total of one (1) Assemblydude

Chuka Umana posted:

just for the record I am NOT socially conservative.

I'm a class reductionist.

Lol, I thought those were a myth. I would say "good bit", but I don't think it's a good bit

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

You know things are getting weird when Sinn Féin are the sane choice.

N.I. Catholic born & bred, now a content atheist... but compare them with the evangelical/presbyterian sects we have over here. :shrug:

I detest them all by the way.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

...to shreds you say?

tsk tsk tsk

...and the Labour polling numbers?

oh

(Opens envelope titled "Contents of Media Wasps Stomach." Takes out three microchips.)
Now you can be the new Labour front bench.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

He's usually pretty decent but, predictably, completely lost his mind about corbyn

I mean. He's Jewish, and he writes for the Graun. The whole 'Corbs is Hitler 2.0' thing bit deep. Same with Hadley Freeman (though she's also pretty loving TERFy which is a whole other issue).

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Given how Corbyn merely being LOTO and then being trounced at a general election broke so many people's brains (which remain broken to this day) and encouraged at least one attempt to kill him, I'm pretty sure that if he had made it into No.10 he'd either have been couped or assassinated after two years of the tabloids whipping people up by now.

Small mercies and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

I mean. He's Jewish, and he writes for the Graun. The whole 'Corbs is Hitler 2.0' thing bit deep. Same with Hadley Freeman (though she's also pretty loving TERFy which is a whole other issue).

I genuinely do not believe more than a tiny fraction of the people spouting that stuff actually believed any of it, Jewish or not. They all knew it was dogshit. I understand that a less politically engaged person seeing all the headlines might have gotten anxious and assumed their was some truth to the allegations, but not the people actually moving in journo/media circles. Perhaps some of them managed to repeat the mantra enough that they started to convince themselves, I guess, but Jay Rayner seems like a smart enough guy to know when something's fishy.