Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

booksnake posted:

No one else chuckling at how Red Hood devoted two panels to thicc muscle lady suplexing the other guy even though the fight was already narratively won?

Are you implying that's a bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Latest Red Hood chapter was good IMO

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Red Hood and Neru both seem like they're rushing things. Red Hood with the actual plot and Neru doing a big stakes fight like that.

As for other comics, I love how every time the otaku teacher shows up in Witch Watch her walls of text aren't just gibberish and actually make sense (which makes me feel for the translator.)

Sakamoto is neat but does have the problem of focusing on two minor characters we barely know anything about.

Black Clover gets a big WTF because this seems kind of late in the game to be introducing such a big change to one of the main characters.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The amount of exposition dumping in Red Hood and amount of plot suddenly happening should make this chapter an absolutely terrible mess. Instead I’m enjoying this chapter on levels I haven’t enjoyed a comic since Chainsaw Man. It’s literally just good art and talk of creating destiny but it grabs me in a way that I can’t explain.

Also Magu-chan continues to be wholesome.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Okay, I'm interested in Red Hood again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mashle was really funny this week

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope Red Hood goes somewhere cool with this, cause this is an interesting direction to go in.

Sakamoto Days kicks rear end Osaragi is great.

Witch Watch, Magu-Chan, and Roboco were sweet this week, although the magical girl shark in Magu-Chan got the biggest laugh from me.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mashle was really funny this week

Differential Drifting!
I’m happy Mashle got back into his groove.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know which other webtoons I should take a look at but drat, the stories in Lookism and Viral Hit are hitting me real hard now.

I'm real glad that the art style in Lookism leveled up, had no idea I was supposed to take Vasco as serious as the manga wanted me to at first.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Red Hood took quite an interesting turn. I'm on board, let's see where they go with this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"Awesome! Now, time to rip off his head! :keke:" Elusive Samurai is really good.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mikl posted:

Red Hood took quite an interesting turn. I'm on board, let's see where they go with this.

The author should have teased this earlier, and got the plot on faster.
Im assuming were going to spend some time with these characters so why did bonker's backstory have to take up an entire chapter of precious startup time when there were no real hooks at that point except a quick tease of the plot to come and large muscular ladies.

Sakamoto Days

Im a real sucker for seeing artists improve in real time and hot drat if this manga didnt get a glow-up. Its not just the art thats improved its the flow of the art and of the dialogue.
Really neat to see

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 17, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Red Hood is 100% cancelled. Bummer.

Neru also seems to be headed that way given we dove straight into a "real steel" match which was made out to be a big deal.

Sakamoto Days however is great. Mashle is also great.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Im assuming were going to spend some time with these characters so why did bonker's backstory have to take up an entire chapter of precious startup time when there were no real hooks at that point except a quick tease of the plot to come and large muscular ladies.

Sakamoto Days

Im a real sucker for seeing artists improve in real time and hot drat if this manga didnt get a glow-up. Its not just the art thats improved its the flow of the art and of the dialogue.
Really neat to see

sakamoto really scratching that "horrible lunatics killing each other" itch lately

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know which other webtoons I should take a look at but drat, the stories in Lookism and Viral Hit are hitting me real hard now.

I'm real glad that the art style in Lookism leveled up, had no idea I was supposed to take Vasco as serious as the manga wanted me to at first.

Personally I really enjoy Eleceed by the same person who did Noblesse. Not super serious from a story perspective but a fun read.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Sakamoto Days

Really neat to see

Yeah that last page really kind of blew me away. The art has always been good but the last time that it really made me stop and stare at it was the tonal shift where the style reverted to the rough pencil look for a few panels for the sake of impact. Always a pleasure to read for one reason or another.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sakamoto: echoing what others said. This chapter was pretty amazing and that last panel was gorgeous. I do wonder how she got the rods in her body.
I do wonder why we’re spending so much time on her though.

Mashle: Just fun gags and carpentry all around

Elusive Samurai: and with this, the interview arc has ended. A very good combo of cute, funny and tension. I do think the girl retainer needs some therapy though.

Neru: I keep struggling with recognizing the characters. Everyone is a bushy haired pretty boy sketch.
And in hindsight, literally nothing happened this chapter.

Roboco: I didn’t feel this chapter.

Magu chan: awwww….Shark Chan has feelings.

Undead Unluck: I liked the chapter, but I feel like I’m not going to like where it’s going. The problem with how they raised the stakes is that we “know” Fuuko isn’t going to lose. And while getting to know spring means here powers will work better, it means the chapter will likely be a bit of a waste in hindsight. But who knows, Billy and Andy are still out there, so we’ll see what happens.

Witch Watch: this chapter is such a chore to read, but like last time it’s very much worth it. I really enjoy this intergenerational friendship.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hunter's Guild: Red Hood might be getting cancelled on twitter or whatever but Red Ranger is back at it again with another chapter!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/dd11449e-4d43-4f23-af27-65bb269d2283

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Mashle was a real return to form.
Elusive Samurai was good as usual. As I said before, I like how this arc has fleshed out Sadamune.
Magu-chan got some real laughs out of me this week, but the chapters that focus on Naputaaku's minions are always the best.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I was completely confused by the red hood chapter, What exactly was happening with the pages and the info dump? I've got a headache and just couldn't piece it together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's something going on with a book that can control reality and it turns out that was what the Hunter's Guild is really about also there's something about the Hunter's Guild members know about modern day tech. The Mayor is somehow behind everything and engineered all the stuff with the werewolves attacking so that he could alter Grimm and make it so that Velou is the new "main character."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sanda Ch 5+6

I’m liking where this is going

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

Sanda Ch 5+6

I’m liking where this is going

*looks into camera*

Good evening, and welcome to this week's edition of "What the gently caress Is Up with Paru Itagaki."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kingtheninja posted:

I was completely confused by the red hood chapter, What exactly was happening with the pages and the info dump? I've got a headache and just couldn't piece it together.

There is a True Book. You write a story in it, and that story happens. The pages of this Book possess this power as well and two pages went missing years ago. This may also have something to do with the memory stuff and sudden disappearance of Lycaon this chapter. It's also likely that when Debonair was talking about the "scenario", she was talking about the story that had been pre-ordained in the book.

It seems that the Mayor has mucked around with this story, probably using the stolen pages, causing the confusion and the missing memories.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the stuff they talked about in red hood this chapter also showed up briefly at the start of the training arc

also sanda's so weird and good

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I Am Fowl posted:

There is a True Book. You write a story in it, and that story happens. The pages of this Book possess this power as well and two pages went missing years ago. This may also have something to do with the memory stuff and sudden disappearance of Lycaon this chapter. It's also likely that when Debonair was talking about the "scenario", she was talking about the story that had been pre-ordained in the book.

It seems that the Mayor has mucked around with this story, probably using the stolen pages, causing the confusion and the missing memories.

Wait that's Bungou Stray Dogs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that a meta story about manufacturing a shounen fighting manga protagonist is somewhat too ambitious for this writer and absolute hubris when cancellation is a possibility. oh, i made the opening chapters awkward and slow on purpose. please ignore how this is still the opening chapters of a new manga by a new mangaka not being very good.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Sindai posted:

"Awesome! Now, time to rip off his head! :keke:" Elusive Samurai is really good.

:hmmyes:

Yeah, this feels like too little, too late. I like Red Hood, but a chapter like that is not a good sign.

quote:

Sakamoto Days

Really neat to see

That last page is exactly why I got into anime and manga in the first place. It's so loving good.

Witch Watch and Blue Box were nice and wholesome, as always, as was Kubo.

PPPPPP is still really bad

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Lookism's premise didn't interest me, but I'm really enjoying Viral Hit.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Darth TNT posted:

Sakamoto: echoing what others said. This chapter was pretty amazing and that last panel was gorgeous. I do wonder how she got the rods in her body.
I do wonder why we’re spending so much time on her though.

Because she kicks rear end, op

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That last page is still great, but before that she used Buddha's head as a soccer ball and that's just cool.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

That last page is still great, but before that she used Buddha's head as a soccer ball and that's just cool.

I nominate the second to last page. Her standing with the sawblade behind her head and her dress billowing around her. The infinite corridor stretches out behind her. That is probably my actual favorite panel of this chapter.

Ghost Reaper girl: So I think a guy's strength is directly proportionate to how hot they are. Maybe using fire first was a bad idea.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Red Hood is clearly rushing to a conclusion at this point and it’s a shame. I think the early pacing issues really just made it DOA. That being said there was lots of intriguing stuff going on this chapter so I’m excited to see how it all shakes out.

Between this and Candy Flurry I am NOT having good luck picking new series to get in on day one :negative:

Here’s hoping both authors come back with new series someday.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Lookism's premise didn't interest me, but I'm really enjoying Viral Hit.

That's fair. Reading both and also Weak Hero it's really funny seeing them all stretching how teenagers look more and more compared to Weak Hero having mostly normal looking dudes. It's basically this meme with how far Lookism and Viral Hit take it sometimes.

Edit: I forgot, I meant to come in here for a specific reason.

Record of Ragnarok had the conclusion of the Buddha vs Zero fight uploaded about a week ago.

https://mangadex.org/title/b5b21ca1-bba5-4b9a-8cd1-6248f731650b/shuumatsu-no-valkyrie

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 20, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The flashback of the younger Lamachan brother being stick thin but having that same face was excellent.

That meme to me though will always be most encapsulated by Mob Psycho 100's 3rd year middle school Body Improvement Club president.

pictured: a 15 year old and 4 14 year olds.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 20, 2021

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zerilan posted:

That meme to me though will always be most encapsulated by Mob Psycho 100's 3rd year middle school Body Improvement Club president.

pictured: a 15 year old and 4 14 year olds.

It's not the same, the Body Improvement Club is the pinnacle of human physical and spiritual development.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

Undead Unluck: I liked the chapter, but I feel like I’m not going to like where it’s going. The problem with how they raised the stakes is that we “know” Fuuko isn’t going to lose. And while getting to know spring means here powers will work better, it means the chapter will likely be a bit of a waste in hindsight. But who knows, Billy and Andy are still out there, so we’ll see what happens.

To be fair, we always kind of knew that Fuuko wasn't going to lose. The interesting part is HOW she'll pull out a win.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Here's a vintage Shonen Jump cover from 1994 for the New Years issue with all the current Jump authors

From left to right, bottom to top:

• Akira Toriyama: Dragon Ball
• Osamu Akimoto: Kochikame
• Tsukasa Hojo: Under the sun
• Masakazu Katsura: D•N•A²
• Masaya Tokuhiro: New Jungle King Tar-chan
• Shinji Imaizumi: Kurayami o Buttobase!
• Hirohiko Araki: JJBA Diamond is Unbreakable
• Koji Inada: Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai
• Takehiko Inoue: Slam Dunk
• Masanori Morita: Rokudenashi Blues
• Shin Mitsuhara: Outer Zone
• Yutaka Takahashi: Bonbonzaka High School Drama Club
• Yoshihiro Togashi: Yu Yu Hakusho
• Tadashi Sato: Newral Network - Melinda Fight
• Hiroshi Gamo: Tottemo! Luckyman
• Kazutochi Yamane: Choudokyuu Senshi Justice
• Takeshi Okano: Jigoku Sensei Nube
• Kouji Kiriyama: Ninku
• Haruto Umezawa: Hareluya

Of course Araki looks the exact same even 27 years ago

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 23, 2021

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I didn't realize the Dragon Quest manga that used Toriyami's designs ran concurrently with Dragon Ball Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's a fascinating read to see characters that feel like they could be from one of the games, but drawn with someone else's take on the series.