Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

brand engager posted:

lol you're supposed to move in close when he glows gold so he'll do an attack you can counter

Oh I did, he just didn't feel up to it

I did finally land all the shinespark puzzles before that (that I've found) so that felt good

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The red-dash counter is how I thought you HAD to beat him at first because I just assumed he was immune to damage when I couldn't get any reliable tells on what the gently caress was happening with my various weapons against his lightning armor, so the thread taught me about making him go gold.

The secret is to use the dashing-melee straight into him and clash like two badass space samurais in the middle, not to stand still and wait to counter him hitting you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been powerbombing the orbs, but him just sitting in his gold phase for five minutes before deciding to taunt so we move on is awful. The winged form just randomly dropping inputs leading to the screw attack failing leading to five energy tanks gone because by the end it's clear the Switch can barely handle Dread is also getting old.

Rude of him to just lead the target if you try to use the shift, too

I found he did his come at me bro pretty quick if you completely dodge everything in the gold phase. Whenever he’s doing a melee just jump up once or twice and dash over his head.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Shoot him with regular lasers during the counter cutscene, just keep mashing the button as fast as possible and he'll immediately move on to the winged phase.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Nice! posted:

I found he did his come at me bro pretty quick if you completely dodge everything in the gold phase. Whenever he’s doing a melee just jump up once or twice and dash over his head.

Yeah I eventually got that down when he stopped just stunlocking me to death in a corner for a thirty hit combo (lol though), but the bird phase is the real rear end in a top hat. It just goes so long and the framerate starts to drop so inputs get lost and argh

I wonder if you can shinespark him if you time it just right.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I eventually got that down when he stopped just stunlocking me to death in a corner for a thirty hit combo (lol though), but the bird phase is the real rear end in a top hat. It just goes so long and the framerate starts to drop so inputs get lost and argh

You probably can. I never tried.

Bird phase never really dragged too much for me. I figured out on the chaingun that I could just basically jump around him and get him with at least one missile on each drop.

I also never noticed any dropping frames, but I also played the game exclusively on the handheld with the joycons attached. Haven't played much on the TV.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To not just be whining the whole time (because I did really enjoy the game all in all), that one extra long tube that I forgot where it is above lava; you can blow that up right? You have to be able to. And the more I listen to it the more I like the soundtrack. It's not "catchy", but a lot more of it is remixes of older tracks than you'd first think, and in interesting places instead of just "old water area = new water area remix". You can hear a lot of old stuff in it. A lot of the visual design is Fusion-based too; the water and ice areas especially. More than the EMMIs the CUs feel like a super wasted opportunity. Reposition a few or have some zebetites or a Not Quite Mother Brain body. Screw around with them! Though part of why I think the 2.5d works so well for Dread (other than the good visual design and identity) is it never tries to go in and out of the fore and backgrounds except one particular exception (a chozo warrior hops in), and doesn't try to do that thing where the map shifts 90 degrees but you're still moving in a horizontal line effectively. It's really well done.

I do wonder how much Adam was actually in touch with Samus. He immediately calls out not to touch anything; and thinking about it, either the terminals are telling her to accept her powerlessness and she can't win he's too strong and also he's shredded with a sixpack, but the other half are very straightforward on the level and pretty honest about how Raven Beak probably didn't expect X or Y. I think he's in partial communication and RB's just intercepting the comms, instead of purely just him. Yeah they never say "lady" but he doesn't say that all the time in Fusion either; he just says Lady toward the end of a briefing with it as a closing line. Samus is still her name after all. Alternately, the Adam AI is super quick on the uptake lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 17, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

Immune to shinesparks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TaurusOxford posted:

Immune to shinesparks.

0/10 bad videogame

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

RBA Starblade posted:

In regards to framerate drops, I've only played in handheld mode and haven't had any noticeable frame drops that would eat my inputs or anything. Have you been running the game constantly in the background even when putting the system to sleep, or have you closed the game at points? I ask because when I did play Hollow Knight, I did keep the game running for over a week (even though I'd put the system to sleep for big chunks of that), and by the end, I'd be getting huge framerate problems in the White Palace, which made trying to get through that area absolutely intolerable. The framerate was fixed after I closed the game and started it back up again, thankfully. I dunno if you're having the same sort of issue though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh I didn't think of that; I only closed it twice since I started playing at launch, the entire last area was bad for it

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

TaurusOxford posted:

Immune to shinesparks.

I do like how he tries to Shinespark you in the final phase though, that’s a nice touch. Same with how he uses all of the Samus Returns Aeion Powers throughout the fight.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I felt like the whole boss seemed to be based kind of reacting to how well you dodge moves while keeping up fire pressure. I swear if you were being sloppy and kept getting hit by one of his attacks, he would extend the period before he'd next to a counter-able move to advance the fight. like my final fight with him i got through his first phase incredibly quickly, dodged a couple things, spammed shots the entire time, and then he dashed pretty quickly and i got it and immediately moved on to phase 2, which also seemed to fly by if you keep up no-hitting, although not worth shooting in this part. how often and how long he'd do the big full-room circle spray seemed dependent on your performance too. I swear once I got the hang of spike jumping and dashing around him without also bumping into him, they still felt like long sequences likely to repeat, but once I got the hang of dodging + taking a powershot on the drop-pass it seemed he ended it a lot earlier and relies more on the crash-dashes that did hit me more often than not.

could be random and perception based but i do wonder if the ai adjusts based on your performance. at the very least most/all bosses seem to offer you health refill attack phases often or on demand almost if they detect you're low enough and they have such an attack.

that or the bosses are just really well tuned to have faster phase shifts according to the kind of dps a speedrunner will be putting out in the fight. Bosses felt to me almost easier safer with the fastest you can go since there are less attacks and phases to go through, particularly tricky ones where you cant damage as much while staying alive.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
We are officially under 90 minutes on the speedrun for this game. :stare:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TaurusOxford posted:

Vid?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Actually, about the final boss - the "come at me bro" pose never went anywhere for me. No matter if I pressed X on the flash or not, he'd just sort of rear back, avoid the counterhit, not do any sort of attack, and go back to whatever he was doing before. The only attack I could counter-hit was the red charge-up flash step move, so that's how I got through that phase, and he does that regardless of that pose. Is the other one supposed to actually do anything or is it just a fakeout?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Actually, about the final boss - the "come at me bro" pose never went anywhere for me. No matter if I pressed X on the flash or not, he'd just sort of rear back, avoid the counterhit, not do any sort of attack, and go back to whatever he was doing before. The only attack I could counter-hit was the red charge-up flash step move, so that's how I got through that phase. Is the other one supposed to actually do anything or is it just a fakeout?

It's supposed to lead to a second counter, like the chozo spearmen

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Actually, about the final boss - the "come at me bro" pose never went anywhere for me. No matter if I pressed X on the flash or not, he'd just sort of rear back, avoid the counterhit, not do any sort of attack, and go back to whatever he was doing before. The only attack I could counter-hit was the red charge-up flash step move, so that's how I got through that phase, and he does that regardless of that pose. Is the other one supposed to actually do anything or is it just a fakeout?

That tripped me up for a bit too. If you’re standing too far back and do a standing counter it doesn’t trigger the clash. You need to actually hit him with the counter, generally by doing a running counter into him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You gotta run into him when he does it to get him to swing. If you stop moving toward him as soon as the flash happens, he won’t swing. You gotta actually step into the attack’s tight range.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

you can't just stand near him and hit the counter, that'll miss and you end up with what you describe. you should be doing the running counter into his smug taunt and it'll work 100% of the time

e: well that was quick

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Just happened on stream and he doesn't have VODs enabled - gonna have to wait till it's verified and put up on speedruns.com, but his 1:30:52 is available to watch: https://www.speedrun.com/mdread

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
You know, for all the people saying the controls are smooth as butter and absolutely perfect, these shinespark puzzles really do contradict that point of view.

So many little loving twitchy moves all requiring pinpoint accuracy with a little thumbstick that has full 360-degree output in the game. Not to mention moves that seem to change in how they function when you get upgrades (i swear the loving wall jump was a lot easier to do before I got the space jump) that you then need to combine with shoulder buttons and bombs/missile to get to the upgrade.

It's like trying to master a bloody huge combo in a Street Fighter.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Not sure what you mean. The shinespark controls are fine.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I know what they mean exactly and yeah the shinespark controls are frustrating. However, all of the hard tricks are completely avoidable and have easy alternate ways to do it. Mid-air shinesparks are an invention by pro-gamers to embarrass the regular gamer class and are never required.

Missiles not being toggle-able is also less than ideal but at this point it's how it's Always Been so it probably here to stay.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

TaurusOxford posted:

Surely like 20 minutes of that is just loading screens and waiting for buttons to press down

also there's this weird thing with item progression in this game, at least on the main path, where you get things like, way too close together

I think there's two super missile doors before you get the plasma beam. Why even bother having super missile doors at that point?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

I couldn't consistently do boosted walljumps until I started making the stick neutral and just pressing jump when I hit the wall, then pressing the stick in the new direction.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 17, 2021

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
walljumping doesn't need any directional input at all in dread - you simply press A near a wall and it jumps you in the opposite direction. to do the zig zag back and forth wall jump you don't need to touch the stick at all, you just need to press A

i've seen a lot of oldtimers get messed up by this because they're used to having to input a direction, so they end up sabotaging their own walljumps

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Spark smarter, not harder

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Your Computer posted:

walljumping doesn't need any directional input at all in dread - you simply press A near a wall and it jumps you in the opposite direction. to do the zig zag back and forth wall jump you don't need to touch the stick at all, you just need to press A

i've seen a lot of oldtimers get messed up by this because they're used to having to input a direction, so they end up sabotaging their own walljumps

Well it's this kind of little twitchy stuff that's not properly explained in the game, which is also not a good thing. For example, the shinespark puzzle I'm stuck on is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loM9OQ8zpQI

I know exactly what to do, there's no more puzzle, there's just wrestling with the controls to get it to do what I want it to do. That's just frustrating.

The bit that I can't seem to get to work in that specific video is when they come out of the morphball mode, and activate the shinespark. Every time i get to that little room at the end of the block tunnel, I just exit the morphball mode and can't activate it, even though it looks like i must have been moving fast enough and must still be in a boost to have made it all the way through the tunnel.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Kin posted:

Well it's this kind of little twitchy stuff that's not properly explained in the game, which is also not a good thing. For example, the shinespark puzzle I'm stuck on is this one:

I know exactly what to do, there's no more puzzle, there's just wrestling with the controls to get it to do what I want it to do. That's just frustrating.

The bit that I can't seem to get to work in that specific video is when they come out of the morphball mode, and activate the shinespark. Every time i get to that little room at the end of the block tunnel, I just exit the morphball mode and can't activate it, even though it looks like i must have been moving fast enough and must still be in a boost to have made it all the way through the tunnel.

If you slide into a tunnel, Samus will enter and exit Morphball mode automatically, you don’t need to input down or ZL or anything. If you enter Morphball yourself, yeah you still have to exit it manually.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 17, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kin posted:

That method is way overkill.

You don’t need to do any crazy boosting or jumping. I didn’t. There’s enough room to shinespark on the lower platform. From there, the timing is tight, but you just jump up to the platform, blast the blocks, slide through, bomb, then press jump and you blast up. The guy in that video is doing far more than necessary.

E: you get something like 5 seconds in shinespark. Its a lot of time to get to where you need.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 17, 2021

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
That guy is also stupid, you can place the bomb and start the ballspark and the bomb will go off while it's charging and you'll go up just fine.

You can also start from the left and wall jump off the right wall and do the rest of what they did without trying to time space jumps and wall jumps and poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TaurusOxford posted:

Is that really surprising? lol

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

sigher posted:

Is that really surprising? lol

I didn't expect it to happen THIS fast. I figured it'd at least take till the end of the month to get that low. :v:

Edit: Holy poo poo this is cool:

https://twitter.com/LethalPeelz/status/1448391730361942018?s=20

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 17, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I was saying under two hours on the first day back when early reviewers were finishing in 8-10 hours.

A half hour improvement in ten days seems about right.

The next half hour will take years.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

That method is way overkill.

You don’t need to do any crazy boosting or jumping. I didn’t. There’s enough room to shinespark on the lower platform. From there, the timing is tight, but you just jump up to the platform, blast the blocks, slide through, bomb, then press jump and you blast up. The guy in that video is doing far more than necessary.

E: you get something like 5 seconds in shinespark. Its a lot of time to get to where you need.

How exactly do you slide through? In your description you just fall through the floor.

Like I said, I can get up to that upper left room with the boost. I just can't trigger the spark in there.

I also just tried leaving the stick neutral when leaving the tunnel and it stays in morphball mode. Doesn't auto revert to standing.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kin posted:

How exactly do you slide through? In your description you just fall through the floor.

Like I said, I can get up to that upper left room with the boost. I just can't trigger the spark in there.

I also just tried leaving the stick neutral when leaving the tunnel and it stays in morphball mode. Doesn't auto revert to standing.

Sounds like you're getting in with a shinespark charged.

What you need is to get there while boost-running

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kin posted:

I used a cluster bomb or whatever to launch myself past the falling blocks. Sorry left that detail out.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
The crossbomb method has tighter timing and is far harder than just doing the speedboost slide method mentioned earlier, although that video is still overcomplicating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ikanreed posted:

Sounds like you're getting in with a shinespark charged.

What you need is to get there while boost-running

Pretty sure it's just a boost. I'm getting the exact same animation in that video when entering the tunnel and breaking the blocks.

It just seems that when I go from holding left to exit the tunnel at the other side to hitting down or down and L (I've tried both) I just stay in the normal morph ball as if I lost the boost somewhere.