Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gio posted:

or even KN95’s shown to have inferior filtration efficiency (Powecom),

What's that?

Thread favorite Bonafide Masks is a major distributor of their product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

freebooter posted:

I personally am just not interested in scientific studies. I don't know how to parse them. I think a lot of people posting here don't really know how to either, which is fine, but a lot of them pretend to. The GBS thread is full of people making dumb jokes (which is fine, that's what it's there for!) and this one is full of people playing armchair scientist. It kinda feels like there's no middle ground. Someone said in the last page or two said that they'll worry about dire warnings from scientific studies when they show up in the mainstream media, which I think is about the right attitude for a layperson.

Thank you! This is what I'm interested in.

Fair enough! I'm also interested in hearing from folks outside the US/UK wrt their local situations, what works and doesn't etc.

I've posted some about how things are going here on the reservation which is quite a bit different setting than the US writ large, but I don't really have any more updates. Other than vaccination remains very slow, for reasons I've described before.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

A mod FINALLY got back to me, and I was able to post a Covid Simulator thread in Games

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982245

Also, I'm currently working on some basic graphic features!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks, this was interesting. Especially this:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Life seems, honestly closer to normal than it's been for almost 20 months... For most people I know the anxiety is slowly starting to wane.

This I think is what Australia is going to struggle with. We had mostly normal life for 18 months (except in lockdown, but then if you're WFH you're safe anyway) and now we're jumping straight into the living-with-COVID period without having gone through the much worse experience the rest of the world had. Vaccinated, sure, but that's still higher risk than being unvaccinated with closed borders and zero cases.

Or maybe that's just me, plenty of other people seem happy to rush back to the pub when lockdown lifts next Thursday still with 1,500+ cases a day in Victoria alone, so what do I know.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
To chime in with MrLuxuryYacht, in Ontario, I felt confident wearing my ironic covid is over shirt to the bar with a kf94 mask and still got carded as a regular.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

freebooter posted:

(..)Our newspaper pundits keep pointing to places like Denmark or Ireland, but I would actually like to hear first hand what it's like there (or in places like them).
Vaccination numbers:
All cohorts born earlier than 71 are at +90% vaccinated and then to decreasing degrees down to the youngest eligible cohort (12-15) at 60.6% fully vaccinated. In aggregate this amounts to 75% of the total population fully vaccinated, while an 1.2% only have their first shot and 2.4% have been "revaccinated". The breakdown of vaccinations are 85.5% Pfizer, 13.4% Moderna and 1.1% J&J.
Source (Danish CDC vaccinations dashboard): https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/1c7ff08f6cef4e2784df7532d16312f1

COVID numbers:
First of all, testing in Denmark is comparatively insanely high. With a population of 5.8 million, 42½ million PCR and 42 million antigen tests have been conducted. It has also dropped massively down to ~65k PCR and ~10k antigen daily. All possible samples are sequenced.

The last month number of infections have increased roughly by a factor of 2 and hospitalizations by a factor of 3-4:

Source (Danish CDC COVID dashboard): https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/aa41b29149f24e20a4007a0c4e13db1d

Breakthroughs account for ~40% of infections, half are AY.4 the other half 1.617.2.
Source (Danish CDC week 41 breakthrough report, pg. 7 & 14): https://files.ssi.dk/covid19/gennembrudsinfektion/rapport/gennembrudsinfektion-covid19-uge41-2021-jk14

Recent events:
September 10 COVID was no longer categorized as "samfundskritisk" (society critical). The implication is school closings stopped, NPI were no longer required on public transportation, large events no longer had to do any measures etc. In short: a full opening up, with no restrictions. You will note this is the start of the increases in cases and hospitalizations.

The Autumn vacation just started and from Monday the Scandinavian airlines no longer require any NPIs on interregional travel.
Source: https://check-in.dk/norwegian-dropper-mundbindet/

Friday was National Exercise Day. The 12½% of the population that are school aged children all participated in large scale activities, indoors and outdoors. So did a lot of other people, as the media turned it into a post-COVID communal event.

The healthcare sector is quietly breaking, not merely due to COVID and RSV, but also due to a ~2 month nurse strike over the summer which amounted to zero concessions to nurses. This extends to ambulance drivers in the capital, where a staggering 20% have quit during the last half year (iirc).

Third doses for everyone just got announced. 6½ months after the second mRNA dose (J&J's are in a peculiar spot, I honestly don't know what is up for them - it was voluntary to get that instead of waiting for an mRNA spot, but it still counted as your one full course of vaccine).

On the ground:
No one wears mask and COVID is widely referred to in the past tense. There is however still a marked effect on statistics, indicating that while nominally everything is open, there is still a substantial minority isolating or minimizing exposure (public transportation is down by 11%, workplaces down by 13%, while parks are up 120%.
Source (Google mobility report): https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobility/2021-10-12_DK_Mobility_Report_en.pdf

Like most other liberal democracies, there is a pervasive notion that the pandemic was the lockdowns and restrictions. Now that those are gone, the pandemic is over.

As a person trying not to get infected at all, this poo poo sucks lol. It should be obvious from the numbers I posted, that this situation is not viable even in the short term.

TL;DR - Things are dumb and getting worse, while the government, capital and media are turning a blind eye. But at least we get a third dose at what for my cohort will be the height of the winter surge :rubby:

Pingui fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 17, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

freebooter posted:

Our newspaper pundits keep pointing to places like Denmark or Ireland, but I would actually like to hear first hand what it's like there (or in places like them).

Ireland is a land of contrasts.

We are in the Top10 most-vaxxed countries per capita - literally everyone over 50 is vaxxed, and I think the overall population fully vaxxed is 75% for both Ireland and Denmark. You can contrast this with US and Australia both being about 55-56% which is both lol and lmao. There are plenty of loud idiots on social media and putting up anti-vaxx stickers, but when it comes down to it people here are considerably less insane and brainwashed than Americans. Boosters are being rolled out for the olds right now, who knows when they'll get around to us sexy semi-young millenials.

However, we have also had a cumulative death rate twice that of Denmark, or 20x that of Australia (though still only half that of US/UK). Basically, our idiotic leadership squandered any opportunity to close the borders early on, so unrestricted travel from the UK led to the inevitable huge spread in the pre-vaxx times. The fact that we have a shared land border with the UK makes it all a bit more complicated as well (but that's a poor excuse). Oh well.

Ireland also has a middling-to-poor amount of hospital beds, a very high occupancy rate, and an extreme shortage of ICU beds (<300 for a country of 5m). Before COVID, patients would routinely be kept on trolleys in hospital corridors for days during peak times. If we get a big winter COVID surge combined with a return of the flu, our hospitals do not stand a chance of meeting the anticipated need.

We have also, like Australia, had one of the most prolonged and restrictive lockdowns in the world. My partner is American, so via friends and family I get a good window into what passed for a "lockdown" over there and ...lol. Restaurants and bars and sports and public events were barely affected in the US, whereas here we haven't been doing poo poo outside our homes for 18 months.

We are currently in the midst of a "phased reopening", with restrictions supposed to be fully lifted on October 22nd. Right now you can go to a pub or restaurant or go shopping or visit your mates' house, but extremely restricted live events, and very reduced capacity in cinemas, theatre, sports, etc. The Government is being maddeningly vague about whether Oct 22nd will actually happen, and to what extent restrictions will be lifted. I suspect this is due to both incompetence and the fact that cases and hospitalisation rates have both jumped about 50% in the last week again.

To me, the pandemic is still very much active and present in the culture and conversation. Masks are mandatory on public transport and anytime you're moving around a restaurant or shop, people are mostly very compliant. Just walking down a non-crowded street the majority of people are unmasked. I've been lucky enough to WFH throughout, and WFH is still being strongly encouraged where possible through the winter. I see a huge cultural shift away from office commuting among millenials. I just keep my head down, work in my little home office cube, wear my N95 when I go places, and hope that I don't get hit by a car and end up in an overcrowded hospital.

In a grimly funny masterstroke, the Irish government has decided to create a new bank holiday (date TBD) to "honour the frontline workers" - despite the fact that frontline workers do not get bank holidays off, and in fact holidays tend to be even tougher shifts for hospital workers :shrug:

Overall, I think everyone is just burned out and poo poo sick of everything. I'm anticipating Xmas this year to be just as horrific as 2020 because people here absolutely cannot be told not to visit their families and get pissed at Xmas.

Apologies for not providing any statistics or detail, but it feels a bit superfluous to what you were asking about and it's hard to muster the effort anymore. On a similar note, I am a molecular biologist but I have very little interest in parsing most of the garbage non-peer reviewed "research" that gets fretted over here. If it gets published in Cell/Science/Nature/NEJM I'll take a look but otherwise it's all poo poo.

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 17, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Canadian expat living in Copenhagen.

Not much to add to the effortpost above, you still see a few people masked when out shopping but basically Denmark is back to normal.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I moved back to Texas recently. (in dfw area) Mask use is bad/non existent outside of grocery stores, pharmacies, and a chipotle I stopped at while driving. As far as I can tell I am the only person that wears a mask in the building to use the elevator. A few people in their 50s/60s smiled like they were about to laugh when they saw my mask.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mask compliance here over the last week has absolutely collapsed, no idea why, the "mandate" is still in force. I'm in a blue island in a red sea and our county numbers are best in state last I checked. Just goes to show that the big employers mandating vaccines and mask mandates alone is insanely effective. Unfortunately I can't stop worrying about getting t-boned or something and dying in triage because 20 counties worth of ICU cases all got airlifted here

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I expect restrictions in my local area will continue being the same for a while if not increase because our vaccine uptake has been so low.

I mentioned earlier that the tribe gave out $2,000 per capita stimulus and a number of people I asked have commented that they thought there would be a delay in the vaccine incentive (another $500) being effective since $2,000 is a lot of money for families here. We might see vaccinations pick up in the coming months as the $2,000 per capita is spent and the marginal utility of that $500 vaccine incentive increases.

I've heard several people comment the amounts should've been reversed-- give the large stimulus to people that have been vaccinated, since this is after all COVID relief money. That gets into a whole ethical conversation about whether it's moral to condition stimulus on vaccination when the per capita income around here is $7-10,000 per year. There's also the issue that most other tribes issued stimulus already, so you'd have a ton of local people pissed off that other tribes issued stimulus to people but our local one is perceived to be "holding out."

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

What's that?

Also haven't heard anything about this. Would be a shame if my vast store of KN95s are trash.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
My state of Victoria, Aus will reach a 70% fully vaccinated threshold, with single-dose nearing 90% as well. From Friday, these rules will apply:

- Curfew (9pm-5am) ends
- No travel limit (previously 15km)
- You may now have up to 10 people visit your home
- Outdoor hospitality resumes for fully vaccinated
- Indoor hospitality resumes for fully vaccinated (10 patrons only, plus density limits)
- Masks required outdoors and indoors

All other restrictions remain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Insanite posted:

Also haven't heard anything about this. Would be a shame if my vast store of KN95s are trash.

Aaron Collins’ testing has Powecom KN95s filtration efficiency between 98.9% for the headband model and 96.8% for the black model, and for the black one he retested it with shortened ear loops and a supplemental nose clip and got 98.9% on that one.

As he’s fond of saying, that’s his test ærosol on his face, but they don’t stand out as awful compared to the competition.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Insanite posted:

You're fine, they're totally effective. There's a contingent that basically accuses everyone who isn't constantly wearing MOPP4 as not taking the pandemic as seriously as they are.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Or, you know, Gio just had them confused with another brand.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Platystemon posted:

Aaron Collins’ testing has Powecom KN95s filtration efficiency between 98.9% for the headband model and 96.8% for the black model, and for the black one he retested it with shortened ear loops and a supplemental nose clip and got 98.9% on that one.

As he’s fond of saying, that’s his test ærosol on his face, but they don’t stand out as awful compared to the competition.

I would also assume that the difference between the black and the white model probably reflects that the white model was tested earlier and likely wasn't the updated GB2626-2019 version. BonaFide says that both the black and white versions are built to the same standard, and having bought both I wouldn't be able to differentiate the two in a blind test.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Kaal posted:

You're fine, they're totally effective. There's a contingent that basically accuses everyone who isn't constantly wearing MOPP4 as not taking the pandemic as seriously as they are.

I am part of that contingent, which is why I was concerned.

If they’re still good enough for Aaron, they’re good enough for me.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I may have been mistaken when I read that recent report/study/whatever that tested a variety of KN95s available on the market. I have some but I don’t feel they give as good of a seal at the N95s with backstraps so I don’t use them as often.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gio posted:

I may have been mistaken when I read that recent report/study/whatever that tested a variety of KN95s available on the market. I have some but I don’t feel they give as good of a seal at the N95s with backstraps so I don’t use them as often.

I ended up switching to backstraps entirely because ear loops of just about any kind start to get uncomfortable for me as a glasses wearer, even though I rarely have to wear them longer than an hour or so.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Powecoms are generally more comfortable for me but they fog up my glasses. I wear either the 3M 8210s or Aura 9205s when I teach because children are plague rats, but the tightness of the straps causes irritation behind my ears. At first the 8210s were hurting the bridge of my nose as well but I’m just used to them now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah 8210s are what we stocked up on for now, but I'm probably going to try a few other options from bonafide for my partner since she wears them twice a week at work. She's found the 8210s ok but would like to see if she can find something a bit more comfortable for long term wear.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
In New Zealand we just held a big 'vaxathon' event on Saturday and vaccinated around 130,000 people (30% of which were first shots)

So our nationwide fully vaxed number jumped from 62% to 66% in 48 hours, and 85% of the country has now had at least one shot. It's good to see the % of unvaxed shrinking.

But we're trying to ease restrictions and it looks like there's no going back from here.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Jaxyon posted:

What's that?

Gio's referring to the MIT study by the Rutledge group, I think, which showed Powecom came in somewhat below advertised, but within the range of where it was calibrated to (i.e., their testing instrumentation showed certified NIOSH N95s as being 90-94% efficacy mostly): https://share.getcloudapp.com/rRub1z9z

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Overall, I think everyone is just burned out and poo poo sick of everything. I'm anticipating Xmas this year to be just as horrific as 2020 because people here absolutely cannot be told not to visit their families and get pissed at Xmas.

This I can sympathise with, for countries that have actually been in hard, serious lockdowns on and off over the past 18 months. My own tolerance/sanity has worn thin and as much as I still don't want to catch COVID I also don't want to live like a hermit indefinitely.

What I find baffling is the Denmark example where e.g. masks are no longer mandatory anywhere. There's basically no good reason not to require people to still wear them in places where it's not inconvenient i.e. public transit, retail, offices. (Though having said that in Melbourne we still have a full mask mandate, including outdoors, and at least in my part of the city non-compliance is about 50% even indoors.)

Another question for people in various parts of the world: are you still (presuming you were ever) legally obliged to self-isolate if you test positive?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I still think the data is not exactly clear on risk of transmission between people who are fully vaccinated, in good health, should there be a breakthrough case. The truth is: we've had breakthrough cases with people at work. It's not publicized, but we know about it because you hear things, obviously. But so far it's not caused any kind of crisis of chain transmission; there's not been one single case of onward spread. We didn't even have anything pre-vaccine when we were all wearing basic masks (not N95s) and not showing up if we felt ill.

I've just had this miserable, nagging feeling that it's actually so much simpler than we want to admit, and that masking and taking even the most basic precautions in public, and being vaccinated, is actually enough. Cases are going down where I live right now and that's all we're doing. There are no lockdowns, there's no martial law, it's just: "wear a mask in public, and if you want to go to a restaurant or bar or event, get the jab" and it's loving working. I honestly didn't think this would be enough, but it apparently is, so let's just all do it and eventually get this poo poo over with.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I will say as far as mask mandates go, my local grocery store in blue WA State is still usually 100% in compliance when I go, give or take a couple of nose dickers. Obviously mostly cloth masks, but at least they apparently still give a poo poo about not spreading Covid. One thing I did notice the last couple times I went wearing my N95: the only other people I noticed wearing N95s we're people of color. Small sample size but it stood out on multiple trips, so enough to notice at least.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I've said it before, but I don't think it takes draconian or even particularly complicated poo poo to stop Covid. But it requires pretty much everyone (nationally if not globally) to do it, and it requires doing it before it gets completely out of control.

I wonder how many infectious diseases we could eradicate just by planning a single global 'month off' where everyone stays home. Maybe offer everyone a free choice of Proust, The Wire DVD set, a Switch with Zelda, a fat sack of weed, or a fleshlight.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

PT6A posted:

I still think the data is not exactly clear on risk of transmission between people who are fully vaccinated, in good health, should there be a breakthrough case. The truth is: we've had breakthrough cases with people at work. It's not publicized, but we know about it because you hear things, obviously. But so far it's not caused any kind of crisis of chain transmission; there's not been one single case of onward spread. We didn't even have anything pre-vaccine when we were all wearing basic masks (not N95s) and not showing up if we felt ill.

I've just had this miserable, nagging feeling that it's actually so much simpler than we want to admit, and that masking and taking even the most basic precautions in public, and being vaccinated, is actually enough. Cases are going down where I live right now and that's all we're doing. There are no lockdowns, there's no martial law, it's just: "wear a mask in public, and if you want to go to a restaurant or bar or event, get the jab" and it's loving working. I honestly didn't think this would be enough, but it apparently is, so let's just all do it and eventually get this poo poo over with.

I agree, I'm fairly sure after years of panic mongering and frantic speculation it's basically going to come down to have 80+% of the population vaccinated and a half hearted nod towards basic hygiene and awareness. Hopefully Australia can prove this to be the case.

Portugal is 85% vaccinated, and I'd imagine it will go higher, and has 10 million people. About 350 in hospital and trending downwards. The still have a lot of restrictions in place but they'll be easing them off soon.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
My 150k sized employer announced a new vaccine mandate ahead of the Biden requirements this past week and holy hell are the chuds screaming like stuck pigs. Rules are basically that you need to show proof of complete vaccination by December 8th (or an approved religious exemption* or medical disability) or you are terminated.

No chance for taking PTO to extend that time period, nothing, you’re gone for cause. Some demonstrations by the union hall, but thats only one of the two major unions. Even the union folks are split between loud mouthed chuds and folks who give a drat about other people.

The religious exemption form seems to be taking after the forms used by the State of Washington where you’re asked in detail to describe the religious reasons for why you won’t be vaccinated, and to explain why you’ve been vaccinated in the past. I don’t know how approval will work, but it will be interesting to see. I get the feeling that bullshit notes from “pastors” charging money will be quickly ignored.

Shockingly, my employer has been taking this poo poo rather seriously ever since the folks off the floor went WFH on March 6th, 2020.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Spacebump posted:

I moved back to Texas recently. (in dfw area) Mask use is bad/non existent outside of grocery stores, pharmacies, and a chipotle I stopped at while driving. As far as I can tell I am the only person that wears a mask in the building to use the elevator. A few people in their 50s/60s smiled like they were about to laugh when they saw my mask.

I’ve had relatives pushing me to move back home to Dallas and I was worried about this. :suicide:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm vaccinated but i still make an effort to avoid being in high risk areas.

so how safe is public transportation?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

freebooter posted:

Another question for people in various parts of the world: are you still (presuming you were ever) legally obliged to self-isolate if you test positive?

Ireland again - yes. Both adults and school kids. You can reenter society when you have been symptom free for 5 days and it's >10 days since first symptoms or positive test

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

freebooter posted:

This I can sympathise with, for countries that have actually been in hard, serious lockdowns on and off over the past 18 months. My own tolerance/sanity has worn thin and as much as I still don't want to catch COVID I also don't want to live like a hermit indefinitely.

What I find baffling is the Denmark example where e.g. masks are no longer mandatory anywhere. There's basically no good reason not to require people to still wear them in places where it's not inconvenient i.e. public transit, retail, offices. (Though having said that in Melbourne we still have a full mask mandate, including outdoors, and at least in my part of the city non-compliance is about 50% even indoors.)

In Denmark there is no punishment beyond the social, as far as I am aware. The government briefly toyed with fining people in a specific ghetto (ghettos are designated by the government as such) for it, but were told by the health authorities that this was ill advised as it would lead to fewer people getting tested.

As far as masks are concerned you are correct from a public health perspective, but very wrong from a political perspective. For many - if not most - people the pandemic is masks.

Pingui fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 18, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

freebooter posted:

In Ontario, Canada, and yes. You're required to self-isolate either if you're positive, or due to close contact with a positive case (as instructed by Public Health). That's true Canada-wide as far as I know (Alberta tried to remove the self-isolation requirement for positive cases, but walked that back after public resistance). In Ontario at least, the rules are different based on vaccination status for close contact isolation - if you test negative and are vaccinated, you can stop self-isolating immediately, if you're unvaccinated you still need to isolate for 10 days.

I'm not sure how it's enforced, really. I know they do random checks for travel-based quarantine requirements, but self-isolation due to a positive case would be provincial (and maybe even PHU?) jurisdiction, and travel based ones are federal.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 18, 2021

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58957273

Former US Secretary of State Colin Powell has died aged 84 of Covid-19 complications, his family has announced.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Smeef posted:

I wonder how many infectious diseases we could eradicate just by planning a single global 'month off' where everyone stays home. Maybe offer everyone a free choice of Proust, The Wire DVD set, a Switch with Zelda, a fat sack of weed, or a fleshlight.

The big problem is it's literally impossible to do a month off for everyone at the same time. There's more services that are genuinely essential than you think, and yet more services that need to function to allow those essential services to function. This is especially true when you're talking about a month vs. a week or two.

This can be an effective strategy when you have a very small number of cases (and therefore a pretty good chance that no one in those essential functions has the virus in question), but at the level where COVID is in most of the world, or most other endemic diseases you won't completely shut down transmission. It can bring cases down for sure, but you won't eradicate (and that's not even getting into animal reservoirs)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Man, hiding medical information would be bad, but I feel like I'm squirming at this being in the (testing company provided) FAQ for the schools pool testing. I mean I guess the sign up process asks if you take biotin so they have to explain it, but man.

quote:

Why does it matter if I take a biotin supplement?

False negatives for the AccessBio CareStart rapid antigen test may occur for test takers that currently take a daily dose of Biotin >10 mg. Biotin levels of 2.5 µg/mL have been demonstrated to result in false negative test results.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

freebooter posted:

In the US (I do know you asked for non-US/UK info) it's going to be incredibly patchwork. Different states and municipalities used various legal and enforcement mechanisms. Or didn't.

On this reservation, they started handing out $250 fines for not wearing a mask. It didn't take very long at all for people to start complying with that.

If someone pops positive, their info is forwarded to the COVID task force which coordinates quarantine, testing, tracing, etc. Tribal police escort them home and tell them to stay put and give other instructions. Having the cops escort you home is pretty noticeable to the neighbors, and it's certainly very obvious if you're being noncompliant. I've heard lots of stories of belligerent, noncompliant people end up having their neighbors call the cops to come enforce. So it's largely been enforced by peer/neighbor pressure - the community knows who got escorted home and told to quarantine, and the case rate has been low enough the cops can respond if someone's being noncompliant. The downside to that is there was a ton of stigmatization early on, people and their families shunned for far longer than the quarantine period because of paranoia and the rumor mill.

I'm recalling in Singapore and some other places they install monitoring software on your cellphone and you have to check in a couple times a day. If your phone GPS shows you outside your dwelling you're in deep poo poo.

Of course the US is a patchwork of different jurisdictions and you have places with no restrictions at all, assholes going out to eat at a restaurant because they tested positive but "feel fine" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Coldrice posted:

A mod FINALLY got back to me, and I was able to post a Covid Simulator thread in Games

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982245

yep this is awesome now go chase those grant dollars ;)

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 18, 2021