Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

ThomasPaine posted:

but Jay Rayner seems like a smart enough guy to know when something's fishy.

It's his job in fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

BalloonFish posted:

Given how Corbyn merely being LOTO and then being trounced at a general election broke so many people's brains (which remain broken to this day) and encouraged at least one attempt to kill him, I'm pretty sure that if he had made it into No.10 he'd either have been couped or assassinated after two years of the tabloids whipping people up by now.

Small mercies and all that.

didn’t a general admit exactly that on GMB of all places

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

didn’t a general admit exactly that on GMB of all places

Yes, within weeks of him becoming Labour leader. A serving (but bravely anonymous) general said that Corbyn could face a coup if he was judged to be 'jeopardising the country's security'.

Remember when that video was leaked of the Paras unloading their pistols into a photo of Corbyn for target practice?

Another thing that gets overlooked in all the handwringing about political discourse and calling Conservatives rude names.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

BalloonFish posted:

Given how Corbyn merely being LOTO and then being trounced at a general election broke so many people's brains (which remain broken to this day) and encouraged at least one attempt to kill him, I'm pretty sure that if he had made it into No.10 he'd either have been couped or assassinated after two years of the tabloids whipping people up by now.
Wasn't there literally a group of British Army generals who proudly announced their plans for a junta if he got in?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Wasn't there something about Guardian journalists being told they had to criticize Corbyn if they wanted to keep their jobs? Or did I imagine that. Can't find anything with a swift google!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I genuinely do not believe more than a tiny fraction of the people spouting that stuff actually believed any of it, Jewish or not. They all knew it was dogshit. I understand that a less politically engaged person seeing all the headlines might have gotten anxious and assumed their was some truth to the allegations, but not the people actually moving in journo/media circles. Perhaps some of them managed to repeat the mantra enough that they started to convince themselves, I guess, but Jay Rayner seems like a smart enough guy to know when something's fishy.

I think a lot of people probably did actually, which doesn't make it or them any less pathetic or stupid, moreso, in fact.

If you move in circles where everyone says that kind of shite it is more likely, I think, that you believe it than not. The mere fact of it being utterly absurd on the face of it has no bearing on that. Millions of people sincerely believe in the qanon nonsense, a liberal version of it is no less likely. I don't think there is a "general smartness" that makes you immune to that, only a bunch of prejudices and tendencies towards making particular assumptions. The feeling comes first, the rationalization follows after, always.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

learnincurve posted:

Ah yes catholics known around the world for being notoriously tolerant of LGBT+ and women’s rights.

Lol at any absolute weapon actually posting a wall of text about how tolerant the Catholic Church is actually

It's actually complicated, like any big group of people

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That guy wanted to ban abortion and used his Catholicism as an excuse though

You can’t call out the police for using the one bad apple excuse when scumbags like this exist in your church while you do nothing but well actually the Catholic Church is…on the Internet

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Who do you think would win in a battle between the police and the vicars?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

fuctifino posted:

and a bonus call for violence

Ladies and Gentlemen; The milk of human kindness.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I genuinely do not believe more than a tiny fraction of the people spouting that stuff actually believed any of it, Jewish or not. They all knew it was dogshit. I understand that a less politically engaged person seeing all the headlines might have gotten anxious and assumed their was some truth to the allegations, but not the people actually moving in journo/media circles. Perhaps some of them managed to repeat the mantra enough that they started to convince themselves, I guess, but Jay Rayner seems like a smart enough guy to know when something's fishy.

I mean my own otherwise generally liberal/lefty not-Tory Remain-voting parents told me they couldn't vote for Corbyn because of 'all those people he'd let into the party', they voted Lib Dem in 2019. People believed this poo poo. I don't find it hard to believe a food critic bought into it too, tbqh.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My mum is a pretty clueless natural Tory but voted for jezza, I'm pretty sure the first time she'd voted labour. My father who is proud to have never voted for the winner did the same as he was told. I was genuinely pleased, surprised that it was possible for people like my parents to vote for corbyn's labour. But... Well here we are.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/WalesOnline/status/1448675715134615552

e: loving hell

https://twitter.com/publiclawcentre/status/1448677001351553035

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 17, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'm sure there was a goon ITT a few months ago who talked about being asked to take a photo of someone in front of their open front door and nobody was quite sure whether or not it was a scam.

Guess not!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
iirc it was someone wanting to take a picture of themselves in front of the OP's door, so unrelated to this particular bit of DWP fuckery

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Totally pathetic.

What if you don't have a right hand, or if you are a thalidomide victim or have other deformity so you can't actually reach the sign with your right hand?

What if you live in a street with NO street sign eg the little hamlets round here and little rural outposts?

I could find a house with the door wide open and have my photo taken and all the other stuff while not actually living there. And if you live in a flat, are you supposed to get a stranger off the street to come up to your flat door if you have no family or friends?

Yes, there was a poster ITT can't remember who though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Julio Cruz posted:

iirc it was someone wanting to take a picture of themselves in front of the OP's door, so unrelated to this particular bit of DWP fuckery

Yup, with the door open as well so most likely is related.

Someone not-white and of no fixed abode must have claimed UC from a random address, got that message and then been incredibly lucky enough to get the OP who unknowingly helped them. Next step would be when your claim goes through and you get housed you change your address.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Incidentally the ONLY way we could prove my lad was who he said he was to get UC was by being able to give exact details of his active PIP and old DLA claims. - He can’t get a passport right now because all new applicants have to go through a zoom interview and he can’t loving talk.

They questioned me for 2 hours - they did all the security questions for me as well (as his appointee) even though I have a passport and could have uploaded that as proof of who I was in seconds.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/dpjhodges/status/154137108129390593?s=21

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Incidentally the ONLY way we could prove my lad was who he said he was to get UC was by being able to give exact details of his active PIP and old DLA claims. - He can’t get a passport right now because all new applicants have to go through a zoom interview and he can’t loving talk.

They questioned me for 2 hours - they did all the security questions for me as well (as his appointee) even though I have a passport and could have uploaded that as proof of who I was in seconds.

It's disgusting, atrocious, inhumane, pointlessly cruel and all the other strong terms of criticism that we probably won't be allowed to use to refer to government policy soon that I had to jump through far fewer loopholes to get security clearance to go onto MoD bases than what you can be asked to go through to claim benefits you should be entitled to and - by definition - need the most when your life isn't going great (to put it mildly!).

This literally reads like some jerk at the JobCentre (or ATOS or Capita or whoever run it) having a laugh and getting their kicks by mounting an evil version of Taskmaster with 'scroungers'. It beggars belief that this is a formal process to access a welfare state benefit of a few quid that's supposedly 'Universal'.

I don't believe it, and yet I totally do :(

Edit: And as ever, it would be kinder, fairer, easier, cheaper and more effective if they gave people the loving money rather than having bureaucrats hunched over Google StreetView deciding whether the door lintle on the screen matches the one in the grainy picture they've been emailed. But I know the cruelty and the making-them-earn-it is the entire point...

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 17, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

learnincurve posted:

They questioned me for 2 hours

lol what could they possibly want to talk to you about for two hours? Having read most of your posts, quite an error on their part.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

It's disgusting, atrocious, inhumane, pointlessly cruel and all the other strong terms of criticism that we probably won't be allowed to use to refer to government policy soon that I had to jump through far fewer loopholes to get security clearance to go onto MoD bases than what you can be asked to go through to claim benefits you should be entitled to and - by definition - need the most when your life isn't going great (to put it mildly!).

This literally reads like some jerk at the JobCentre (or ATOS or Capita or whoever run it) having a laugh and getting their kicks by mounting an evil version of Taskmaster with 'scroungers'. It beggars belief that this is a formal process to access a welfare state benefit of a few quid that's supposedly 'Universal'.

I don't believe it, and yet I totally do :(

Edit: And as ever, it would be kinder, fairer, easier, cheaper and more effective if they gave people the loving money. But I know the cruelty and the making-them-earn-it is the entire point...

Crap like that is a big reason i didn't apply for UC, it would do my mental state no good at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But we mustn't hate tories.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Here's a depressing statistic that Facebook Memories just reminded me about:

One year ago today, 1 in every 1543 Brits was dead from covid.
Now, it's 1 in every 422.
(Using the official covid death figures from gov.uk)

"Let the bodies pile high in their thousands," indeed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I thought "the doctrine of the separation of powers requires that the principal institutions of state— executive, legislature and judiciary—should be clearly divided in order to safeguard citizens' liberties and guard against tyranny." (https://www.supremecourt.uk/)

Clearly, we are now here. Britain is now ruled by a tyrannical government.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-echr-strasbourg-human-rights-raab-supreme-court/

quote:

U.K. Justice Secretary Dominic Raab on Sunday said an upcoming overhaul of the U.K.’s Human Rights Act would include a “mechanism” to “correct” rulings by the European Court of Human Rights.

“We want the Supreme Court to have a last word on interpreting the laws of the land, not the Strasbourg court,” Raab told The Telegraph, adding that he would work to “protect and preserve the prerogatives of [the British] parliament from being whittled away by judicial legislation, abroad or indeed at home.”

Arguing that public services, such as the National Health Service, should be governed by “elected lawmakers” rather than “judicial legislation,” the minister questioned the legitimacy of the European court to issue judgements on domestic affairs in the U.K.

I'm unbelievably appalled. The Great British Public will just let this wash over them though because they think it is something to do with the EU and we 'Got Brexit Done.'

I have barely refrained from doing a Godwin.

Ed: I know this concerns the European court, but once that goes through, it will be a tiny step to doing the same with the British courts.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 17, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Payndz posted:

Here's a depressing statistic that Facebook Memories just reminded me about :

That doesn't make any sense?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought "the doctrine of the separation of powers requires that the principal institutions of state— executive, legislature and judiciary—should be clearly divided in order to safeguard citizens' liberties and guard against tyranny." (https://www.supremecourt.uk/)

Clearly, we are now here. Britain is now ruled by a tyrannical government.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-echr-strasbourg-human-rights-raab-supreme-court/

I'm unbelievably appalled. The Great British Public will just let this wash over them though because they think it is something to do with the EU and we 'Got Brexit Done.'

I have barely refrained from doing a Godwin.

As I posted before in CSPAM they can do that now that UK is no longer in the EU, since it's only binding on member states. Though joining the likes of Russia doesn't seem like the best choice.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Well, have some... not good news, because of the cost, but certainly some news which nobody seems to want to talk about in case it ruins it:

(I originally posted this in the covid thread and if I can't be bothered fixing the missing tabs there I certainly ain't going to bother here)

The reason I ask is we're seeing a weirdly counterintuitive thing with case rates in England (and to a slightly lesser extent in Wales and Scotland, but not at all in NI) where case rates are low, and dropping, in the very densely populated areas, while rates are high and rising in the suburbs and rural areas. For example, the 5 most densely-populated local authorities in England:

LA: cases per 100k Population density
(last 7 days) (people per sq. km.)
Islington: 168 16097
Tower Hamlets: 186 16057
Hackney: 163 14681
K&C: 202 12884
Lambeth: 178 12157

For context Hackney's case rate is the sixth-lowest *in the entire country*, and is lower than anywhere with a population over 10k. Also these are all London boroughs, so probably the majority of people in these boroughs are getting some form of public transport, and all of them have a case rate in the bottom 10%.

Meanwhile the suburbs aren't doing too well at all - Richmond and Hounslow, 28th and 30th least-dense of the 32 London boroughs, are neck-and-neck with 401 cases per 100,000 for the last 7 days.

Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester are showing a similar pattern, with the densely-populated areas in the centre with lower case rates and higher case rates in the suburbs (although the numbers are less clear because their boroughs tend to mix inner- and outer-city areas much more than London does).

Conversely the highest case rates are:
LA: cases per 100k Population density
(last 7 days) (people per sq. km.)
Wellingborough: 834 487
Ipswich: 786 3480[1]
Torfaen: 774 740[2]
Trafford: 750 2229[1]
Cardiff: 740 2500[2]

[1] Ipswich and Trafford are both examples of what I was mentioning about the inner- and outer-city being mixed in the numbers, but I can't drill down any further. Trafford is a *massive* outlier for Greater Manchester though - the other 6 areas in Greater Manchester ranging from 268 to 360, and also has by far the lowest population density.
[2] These are both in Wales so numbers may not be directly comparable due to differences in both testing and NPI policy.

It's not a matter of different testing regimes either - in fact the test positivity rates for the inner London boroughs are all around 3%, while Wellingborough is an eye-watering 15% and climbing.

Hospitalisations and deaths are still holding steady - in fact are falling sharply in London (20% in the last month) and the North West (10%) which are the two most-populous regions, and holding steady in the West Midlands, the next.

What does it all mean? Who knows. Generally speaking the more densely populated an area the younger the population of course, so that might be a factor, vaccination rates are now pretty uniform across the country, at least anywhere built-up, and upswings in cases followed this exact same pattern in March and December last year - cities first, then the suburbs, then the exurbs - which makes sense, but it doesn't make sense for downturns to happen the same way *unless* the Thing That We Don't Talk About Any More (herd immunity) is actually starting to have an effect.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Just Another Lurker posted:

Crap like that is a big reason i didn't apply for UC, it would do my mental state no good at all.

:same:

There was a point when I was made redundant when I was entitled to claim UC and doing so would have meant that I wouldn't have had to clean out what little savings I had to tide me over until I got a new job...but when I was faced with the sheer grinding, fortress-like complexity required to even begin claiming and the on-going, ridiculously over-demanding nagging that you have to undergo to keep receiving, I judged it just wasn't worth the bother. My mental health wasn't great at that time either and going through all that would have probably finished off what was left of it. I was in the fortunate position of not absolutely needing to claim to live (and not claiming something I was perfectly entitled to just because it was too much effort also made me feel like poo poo because that's exactly what they want you to do) and everyone who has to put up with it all has all my sympathy.

Cut forward a few years later to the Plague Times and I was eligible for SEISS. By contrast that's a complete breeze - literally five minutes filling in an online HMRC form, you get an immediate estimate of what your grant will be which is confirmed a few days later in a follow-up email, and Łthousands arrives in your bank account a couple of weeks later. And then each quarter I got a slew of emails reminding me that I was eligible to claim and telling me how to do so.

And that was a system that HMRC had to put together virtually overnight. So it can be done. The only difference was that SEISS was for people who were judged to have 'earned it' and, because they were self-employed, were clearly striving go-getters who had just fallen on hard times due to the pandemic.

God, it's enraging.

Edit:

\/ \/

Endjinneer posted:

The block I live in is a 60s era court of about 30 maisonettes and flats. Plenty of people here are council tenants. The only signs that give the 'street' name are a good 3m off the ground.
You could just about reach one of them, if you lie face down on an upstairs balcony and reach blindly over the edge.

It's like those Jim Crow-era 'literacy tests' from the Deep South. They're not just an excessive number of loopholes to get through, they're deliberately designed to provide lots of insidious and subjective ways your claim can be refused. Not touching the road sign with your right hand? DENIED. Photo of your house not taken from far enough away? DENIED. Your front hallway not sufficiently visible through the open door?* DENIED. Holding up a paper that's not got a specifically-local enough circulation to count as proof of residence? DENIED. Your local paper only comes out weekly and you're so desperate to get your claim rolling that you've grabbed the last issue so the date on the paper isn't the same as the date you've sent the pic in? DENIED.

* I've just realised that my neighbour a couple of houses down in my terrace has a 'front door' (like all the other houses on the street) but to get more useful space in the 'front' room they don't use it. They've got a corner cabinet against the inside of the door and there's loads of ivy growing over the door on the outside. They only go in and out the place through the back door accessed via the alley that runs through the terrace to the gardens and rear yards (one of those things that has numerous names that are ridiculously area-specific - here in the East Mids they're called 'jittys'). So they would seriously struggle to comply with the letter of the rules if they needed to claim.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 17, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

As I posted before in CSPAM they can do that now that UK is no longer in the EU, since it's only binding on member states. Though joining the likes of Russia doesn't seem like the best choice.

Yes. I edited my post after you quoted it. If they push this through, then it will be just a tiny step to do the same to British courts.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Totally pathetic.

What if you don't have a right hand, or if you are a thalidomide victim or have other deformity so you can't actually reach the sign with your right hand?

What if you live in a street with NO street sign eg the little hamlets round here and little rural outposts?

The block I live in is a 60s era court of about 30 maisonettes and flats. Plenty of people here are council tenants. The only signs that give the 'street' name are a good 3m off the ground.
You could just about reach one of them, if you lie face down on an upstairs balcony and reach blindly over the edge.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Endjinneer posted:

Lots of streets have the street name high up past 1st storey height on a road building.

(This is actually kissing the blarney stone, not a claimant trying to kiss a street sign high up on a building. ;) FWIW this is NOT me)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 17, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Payndz posted:

do you mean 1 in every 1543 british deaths was from covid?

and now its 3-4 times as high?

what was the lockdown status at this time last year though? and how many deaths in total?

dont cherry pick deaths to make things seem poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

I can think of multiple blocks on council estates in London that aren't actually on a street at all, at least one that's marked - most of the big 60s estates that are based around a pedestrian area are like this, for example the Swedeborg Estate (which I've posted about before) has four blocks which all just have no street at all, addresses are just in the format "Flat x, Y House, E1 1AA".

Also the street I was born on is (or at least was) forever having its sign stolen by Smiths fans because there's a famous picture of that twat posing with his cheeks sucked in next to it to look all cool and urban while thinking about how he would need a shower because brown people live there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

do you mean 1 in every 1543 british deaths was from covid?

and now its 3-4 times as high?

what was the lockdown status at this time last year though? and how many deaths in total?

dont cherry pick deaths to make things seem poo poo.

That's total deaths over the course of the pandemic. Not 1 in 1543 deaths - 1 in 1543 *people* in the UK are now dead of covid.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think I've said before but I have been unable to claim any kind of support from the government for the last 10 years because my wife works more than 16 hours.

More recently, they have decided that because I am self employed, they assume I must be making a minimum hourly wage and therefore am earning too much money myself to be eligible for anything.

So basically it seems like what they want in order to qualify for the barest scrapings of support is to quit even trying to work and divorce my wife. Presumably then I'll be isolated enough that they can ignore me and I become another statistic.

I am currently in the process of applying for PiP for autism and the related mental health difficulties it causes, and what is rapidly starting to look like arthritis. I am also applying for an industrial injury thing since the chronic tinosinovitis contracted while working for the NHS means i can't work more than 4 hours a day at a pc.

They want me to go to an appointment in Reading for an assessment. I can't afford to go to Reading, where am I going to get the money for a loving train there? But if I don't go, they'll close my application. I feel like not going anyway because I don't have particularly high confidence that they'll believe me unless my arm has literally fallen off.

(When I mention this, people usually tell me to apply for the goon fund but A) this is an ongoing lack of funds not a one-off, and B) I shouldn't have to beg random murderers on the internet for money.)

The British state's project to scare people away from welfare is absolutely working. If I applied through universal credit I'd be refused because I work too many hours. If I quit, I'd be forced to spend hours every day jumping through the jobcentre's hoops on the computer and end each day with my arm on fire from filling out the same form ten times.

Two people on these forums work in assessment adjacent roles and both have offered advice previously about how to apply, but again, I have absolutely no confidence that they aren't going to say they don't believe me and force me into jobseekers hell.

God this country is loving poo poo.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's total deaths over the course of the pandemic. Not 1 in 1543 deaths - 1 in 1543 *people* in the UK are now dead of covid.

ok, thats a kind of weird stat though no?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Lots of streets have the street name high up past 1st storey height on a road building.

(This is actually kissing the blarney stone, not a claimant trying to kiss a street sign high up on a building. ;) FWIW this is NOT me)

That's just us Paddys taking the piss out of tourists. ;)

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-58941729

quote:

Southend city bid would be a 'fitting tribute' to stabbed MP. Councils in Bournemouth, Reading and Middlesbrough reported to be "seriously considering their options".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

BalloonFish posted:

Your local paper only comes out weekly and you're so desperate to get your claim rolling that you've grabbed the last issue so the date on the paper isn't the same as the date you've sent the pic in? DENIED.
Presumably stuff like this is so you have to call the queries line for advice. You know, the one which has an average queue time of an hour and costs 50p a minute. That one.