Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Rinkles posted:

looks like the latest NVSE plugin will among other things let modders play with rumble controls

Functions:
    DegToRad / RadToDeg
    ScancodeToChar
    GetAngleQuadrant
    GetQuestCompletedAlt (thanks onvil & demorome)
    Sinh / Cosh / Tanh
    SetWeaponAnimJamTime
    SetWeaponAnimReloadTime
    SetWeaponAnimShotsPerSec
    SetWeaponFireDelayMin
    SetWeaponFireDelayMax
    SetWeaponRumbleDuration
    SetWeaponRumbleRightMotor
    SetWeaponRumbleLeftMotor
    SetWeaponRumbleWavelength

AnhNVSE

Hell yeah! After playing the console version lately, I realized how much I missed playing with Rumble. Its really a must for any game that lets you use guns imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I was grabbing a semi-cursed mod just to add some variety to my latest replay when this image popped up.

That's, uh, a few extra required files there.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I guess they can't distribute the files so they use an importer inside the mod.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Seems so. Also I would not recommend that mod. Three Dog basically only pops in for station identification and, presumably, PSAs. But he doesn't actually voice the PSAs and instead just does more station identification.

Also it makes Mr. New Vegas read news like six times in a row until he hits one of the specific song lead-in voice clips, which is admittedly really funny.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Anyone know the nexus name/title of the Anti-Air and Robot restricted mines mod? The name of the zip is that but nothing comes up searching for it. Neither the esp 'MigAAmines.esp'.

Wanted to do some tweaks and compatibility but want to check if there are any updates first.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MariusLecter posted:

Anyone know the nexus name/title of the Anti-Air and Robot restricted mines mod? The name of the zip is that but nothing comes up searching for it. Neither the esp 'MigAAmines.esp'.

Wanted to do some tweaks and compatibility but want to check if there are any updates first.

First google result

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/71730?tab=description

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Google, of course!

Thanks.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If anyone else wants no cloud toxicity whatsoever in Dead Money: Dead Money - No Cloud Toxic Effects and No Bomb Collar Effects. Disables both the global (3hp/interval) and cloud (2.5% hp/sec) health drains. Removes the visual/weather effects in the concentrated cloud as well. Should work even if installed into a save where you're already in a concentrated cloud.

I never finished DM when it released and this run reminded me of why.

E: Replaced Google Drive link with pointer to Nexus mod.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 17, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

But that's half the "fun" of DM!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, but I'm not looking for a survival experience right now. Ran out of stimpacks soon after picking up Dean and didn't want to metagame my way to the recipe. Unfound Loot may have caused that to happen.

I realized I was checking out Monster Hunter Bow videos not to learn a new weapon class there, but because I didn't want to go back to DM. Would rather play it through and get the lore than abandon it, so.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's really satisfying, after you've beat your head against a problem for hours, unable to find the combination of code and functions that would do what you're looking for, to come upon a function that does something else but happens to work perfectly for your scenario.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

v1ld posted:

Yeah, but I'm not looking for a survival experience right now. Ran out of stimpacks soon after picking up Dean and didn't want to metagame my way to the recipe. Unfound Loot may have caused that to happen.

I realized I was checking out Monster Hunter Bow videos not to learn a new weapon class there, but because I didn't want to go back to DM. Would rather play it through and get the lore than abandon it, so.

Dead Money-No Collar and No Cloud
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51003

quote:

Bomb Collar: No longer detonatable by radios/No messages and Beeping Cloud: No damage in toxic clouds/No screen blur/No damage taken in hardcore

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks! I'll probably stick with my script for now as I like the radios.

E: Just took a look and that mod doesn't edit the scripts that manage hardcore damage or the screen blur/weather effects, so I don't see how it would be able to make those changes.

The GlobalToxicDamage script does the constant 3hp/interval damage while ToxicCloudTrigger handles turning various effects and even the cloud damage on/off as you encounter concentrated toxic clouds.

E2: Whoops, ignore. Was looking at the wrong mod! The mod you linked to is indeed much nicer and modifies the quests and activators too unlike mine which just edits the scripts - will switch to using it.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 17, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Thank Goodness, was gonna try a new run later today and do Dead Money at a really low level right after I hit 4 or 5.

Going to try to survive by eating ghost people corpses, drinking their blood and harvesting remains.
I got through Lonesome Road eating Marked Men and drinking blood from them and the creatures thanks to Bottle that Blood.

Also. Real Smokes overrides the tail slot from Vulpine race mod.
https://i.imgur.com/RsnfYma.mp4

My melee weapon/combat knife focused cannibal vulpine chain smoker will have to kick the habit.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Vulpine race? Is that lore friendly?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Thank Goodness, was gonna try a new run later today and do Dead Money at a really low level right after I hit 4 or 5.

Unfortunately there are many, consistent complaints of that mod preventing a couple of quests from completing in its comments section. It's possible those problems are not created by the mod, but I'm going to stick with my script edits since they do not screw around with the quests at all.

I can add a nullified version of the radio explosion script to it if you like, let me know.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Taerkar posted:

Vulpine race? Is that lore friendly?

You be the judge.
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61931

quote:

Background:
Originally part of a close quarters combat program, developed by scientists of the European Commonwealth, the project collapsed as governments began to fall from the ensuing chaos, overwhelming the continent. Determined to defeat the communists, the United States “negotiated,” with the functioning governments to claim any and all conflict related research data, including the Vulpine. Giving the scientists an incentive to turn over all current subjects, and themselves to further improve upon the creatures, they were partnered along with researchers who were familiar with the FEV.

:words: :words: :words: :words: :words: :words:

v1ld posted:

Unfortunately there are many, consistent complaints of that mod preventing a couple of quests from completing in its comments section. It's possible those problems are not created by the mod, but I'm going to stick with my script edits since they do not screw around with the quests at all.

I can add a nullified version of the radio explosion script to it if you like, let me know.

That'd be swell! :)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Broke it up into 2 separate mods. Download from: Dead Money - No Cloud Toxic Effects and No Bomb Collar Effects.

It's two separate mods because the No Bomb Collars portion is trivial and can be done with a no-esp JIP NVSE plugin. Trivial thanks to the original Obsidian coder who added a global flag controlling the entire bomb collar system: NVDLC01Collars. So you can disable that yourself by setting that global to 0.

JIP LN NVSE Script Runner Introduction is a cool technique, so here's an example. A simple text file stored at NVSE\Plugins\Scripts\gl_NoBombCollarEffects.txt suffices. The "gl" prefix says to run it at save game load time. The script itself is tiny:

code:
ref rCollarsEnabled

if IsModLoaded "DeadMoney.esm"
  set rCollarsEnabled to GetFormFromMod "DeadMoney.esm" "00BFBA"
  SetGlobalVariable rCollarsEnabled 0.0
endif
It's neat how much is being added to the game by JIP and others.

I'll probably upload this to the Nexus later today to have a no fuss means of setting both these to off.

It's a pity the mod linked above seems to not work for some folks, it prevents the scripts from being called in the first place by the quests and the cloud activator - much cleaner in theory, but possibly problematic in practice.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 17, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Uploaded the above to the Nexus as Dead Money - No Cloud Toxic Effects and No Bomb Collar Effects.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm playing through New Vegas for the first time, and I liked Dead Money.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it's good but can get tedious. the opening hour is pretty excellent though imo.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm playing through New Vegas for the first time, and I liked Dead Money.

There's a saying I like: among New Vegas fans, everybody agrees that one of the DLC is amazing and one just sucks. Nobody agrees on which is which.

A lot of people hate Dead Money and a lot of people love Dead Money. I think, for me, it's one of the middle two.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vavrek posted:

There's a saying I like: among New Vegas fans, everybody agrees that one of the DLC is amazing and one just sucks. Nobody agrees on which is which.

A lot of people hate Dead Money and a lot of people love Dead Money. I think, for me, it's one of the middle two.

i've found that my own opinions on the DLCs change a little each playthrough

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What stays consistent for me is that I like Dead Money except for the radio/bomb collar and cloud stuff... the radio/bomb collar most of all by far tho.
Like it was fine the first time but subsequent play through it becomes more and more "UGH!"

Might actually leave the cloud stuff as is, I'll have to see how it plays without it first.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I think Dead Money is a good test to see if you can stomach bad gameplay, if there's good atmosphere.
I love it and it's easily my favorite of the DLCs. But I understand anyone who disliked playing it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would call the gameplay considered rather than bad. It plays with the expectations of a 3D fallout game in interesting ways. Rushing in and popping heads is ineffective, but careful gameplay is rewarded.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm fine with ghost people, poison clouds and even holograms, but the bomb collar stuff just sucks.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I hated it the first time and loved it every time after. I think having gone through it once demystified it so I could approach it more on its own terms. One time I decided to skip it, but then did it after finishing the game and it worked well as a sort of epilogue to everything

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

once you're free to roam, i scope out the map with chrisitine (who extends the collar time) before dealing with anything else

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

On a previous playthrough I discovered that activating godmode in the console and walking into range of a radio makes your head "explode" and then afterwards you're completely immune to the effects of the radio for the rest of the DLC.

Entirely unrelated, I'm sure, but after discovering that fact, Dead Money went up in my own personal estimation. :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My enjoyment of any New Vegas DLC's story is basically completely inverse with my enjoyment of its mechanics. I really like Dead Money and Old World Blues story but holy poo poo do they get tedious on re-plays. Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road are both :effort: for me in terms of story but they aren't a chore to play.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I only played Old World Blues and Dead Money so far, and while OWB was the better of thw two, I liked both a lot.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Warning warning warning, searing hot takes ahead~

I found Honest Hearts pretty okay, Lonesome Road kind of disappointing, OWB wasn't my thing at all but I can see why other people love it, and Dead Money was just loving godawful. Played it once and will never touch it again. I don't think I've ever played anything actually made by the official devs that felt more like a terrible quest mod than DM.

I was generally underwhelmed with all the DLC and not very interested in it, yes I know it's me I'm weird.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not that controversial, and fairly understandable. The one I'd most disagree with is DM, but that's an experience you really gotta be in the right mindset for, and just isn't for some people.

Worth keeping in mind that they all had really short dev times, iirc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BTW, I recently moved my Steam install directory. It ended up being pretty painless. Just had to literally copy and paste the folder after deleting some files.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

What stays consistent for me is that I like Dead Money except for the radio/bomb collar and cloud stuff... the radio/bomb collar most of all by far tho.
Like it was fine the first time but subsequent play through it becomes more and more "UGH!"

Might actually leave the cloud stuff as is, I'll have to see how it plays without it first.
I've only done Dead Money once, but the entire time I was thinking "wow, this would be really annoying if I wasn't focusing on the gun type that there's ammo for everywhere."

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I last played Dead Money as a melee guy and it was a freaking massacre. Good times

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Melee and hand to hand absolutely chump the ghost people. And if you do energy weapons you get the holorifle, one of the best guns in the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Light Step and Melee Build for hilarious fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

I last played Dead Money as a melee guy and it was a freaking massacre. Good times

I was melee so that definitely helped.