Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Only real 64 kids know what this felt like

My parents spent so much money renting this out for me from the local video shop ran by a creepy John Carpenter looking guy who always wore Hawaiian shirts

You could unlock a Mountain Dew car by collecting the Mountain Dew cans on every track but I was never good enough to pull that off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Only real 64 kids know what this felt like

i remember this looking photorealistic

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that gen is probably the roughest of all to go back to, I don't mind the smudgy N64 aesthetic because that was what I grew up with but I find PSX 3D really unpleasant to look at. It probably had better games overall but I can never really find anything I want to play on it, I know it had all the JRPGs but if I'm in the mood for old JRPGs now I tend to go to SNES or something with a DS port/remake (which isn't really the console's fault lol)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i like the playstation and n64 graphics

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I always think Mario 64 or final fantasy 8 are going to be hard to go back to, but they're not for me.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

2d psx is the poo poo though. fuckin killer sprites in like legend of mana and castlevania

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Intendo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

2d psx is the poo poo though. fuckin killer sprites in like legend of mana and castlevania

Absolutely. I don't really understand why the n64 just didn't really have any 2d games, I guess because launching with the prominent analogue stick and Mario 64 made it "the 3D console"? Always wild thinking about how the original ps1 controller didn't have analogue sticks lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Absolutely. I don't really understand why the n64 just didn't really have any 2d games, I guess because launching with the prominent analogue stick and Mario 64 made it "the 3D console"? Always wild thinking about how the original ps1 controller didn't have analogue sticks lol

western publishers didnt want to push 2D games during that era because they didnt show off the cool new 3D graphics. Capcom had to go through a lot of poo poo just release the 2D mega man's on the PS1

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Yeah once 3d graphics were a thing that was what they wanted to spend the big marketing dollars on.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

mischief makers played in 2D but the sprites were prerendered like DKC and the levels were 3D so it doesn't really count at all.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
its probably hard to make 2d look good with all the mandatory filtering the n64 does

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

imagine the 2d metroid 64 we could have gotten...

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the original smash bros samus would probably give you a good idea of that

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

*lionel hutz imagining hieronymus bosch's garden of earthly delights*

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The gaming magazines of that era are really funny. Battle Arena Toshinden getting perfect 10s from Game Players, EGM incensed at the existence of 2D and giving any game that dares to use it low scores, etc. some article talking about how amazing Castlevania 64 looked and lamenting that PSX owners were only getting this piece of poo poo 2D baby game from last gen.

By 98 it had gotten a bit better. GP printed an apology for the Toshinden scores. EGM gave SOTN a bunch of awards. Mags started lamenting all the cool 2D Saturn and PSX stuff we weren’t getting.

Tato fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 18, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My brother had an EGM sub from like 94-97 and I had a Nintendo Power sub from 96-99 so we had a lot of bases covered. I remember Nintendo Power spent like 200 issue setting up an epic picture on the spine and then on issue 147 they just accidentally printed the wrong picture so the completed image ended up being Mario with 3 eyes or something.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

lol

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Crying from game magazine spine art

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

My brother had an EGM sub from like 94-97 and I had a Nintendo Power sub from 96-99 so we had a lot of bases covered. I remember Nintendo Power spent like 200 issue setting up an epic picture on the spine and then on issue 147 they just accidentally printed the wrong picture so the completed image ended up being Mario with 3 eyes or something.

i had NP issues 1 through like... 115? maybe? they were all in terrible condition because i used them for things like "testing my brother on mariology" and "tracing bits and pieces of mega man robots over and over again to come up with my own"

a few years ago my dad asked if he could sell them and of course i said okay, it was mostly his money that paid for them, and i wish that i had told him not to purely because of the hassle, lol. he wanted to sell the whole thing "as is" and every single inquiry was about the conditions of individual issues.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lol I remember seeing this in my friends cabinet. I thought he was retarded and moved around the obvious duplicates.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm sure mine are all in the attic somewhere, in about as good a condition as those spines I posted. The EGMs would probably be more interesting to me, but "Ultra 64" era Nintendo Power might be pretty cool too.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i threw away like a hundred EGMs from late-90s early-2000s when i moved from my parents house and i regret it immensely

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Arrhythmia posted:

lol I remember seeing this in my friends cabinet. I thought he was retarded and moved around the obvious duplicates.
Yeah lol. Honestly I'm surprised by how many details I remembered about it because it's been probably 20 years since I even thought about it. If you look closely you can see the problem is that issue 99 has the same spine art as 97, which creates Mario's third eye.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

mycophobia posted:

i threw away like a hundred EGMs from late-90s early-2000s when i moved from my parents house and i regret it immensely

Same but every Nintendo Power from 2001-07. I thought about that again just a couple days ago

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
fortunatley im pretty sure all these magazines are scanned by now but its not the same

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i still have the NES atlas, in pieces, because my dad was so intent on beating Zelda 2 that he put the whole thing in the binder he was keeping for his rock band.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i had a Nintendo Power sub for its last few years and while idk if i have the magazines themselves anymore, i do still have the poster from the final issue that displays every NP cover chronologically and it owns

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

a lot of nintendo power was straight-up NOA advertisement, but beyond that it was also sort of gamefaqs before it existed, the printouts of all the stages were just cool visuals. it was like having the awesome dragon warrior maps for every game, including platformers.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Same but every Nintendo Power from 2001-07. I thought about that again just a couple days ago

me fondly thinking back on the death throes of the n64 to the birth of the wii era of gaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwXTMITwmlg&t=6407s

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

John Romero’s about to read you your rights.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

I'm sure mine are all in the attic somewhere, in about as good a condition as those spines I posted. The EGMs would probably be more interesting to me, but "Ultra 64" era Nintendo Power might be pretty cool too.

Even though it's not even close to my favorite gaming era, the n64 era was probably my favorite for gaming magazines for some reason.

mycophobia posted:

fortunatley im pretty sure all these magazines are scanned by now but its not the same

You can get pretty close with an iPad Pro. The 13" one means you can see each page fully without having to zoom in on the text on each page. I had a 9" one and reading magazine scans on it kinda sucked but the 13" one is perfect for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/gameartarchive/status/1449894640203747328