Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Start from the left edge of the platform below. You will hit the speed just before hitting the wall, so do a spin jump and wall jump to the ledge. Slide under the ledge (the speed will break the blocks) and quickly hit down upon exiting in the alcove. Change into morphball, set a bomb under the blocks and jump to prime the shinespark upward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Kin posted:

Well it's this kind of little twitchy stuff that's not properly explained in the game, which is also not a good thing. For example, the shinespark puzzle I'm stuck on is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loM9OQ8zpQI

I know exactly what to do, there's no more puzzle, there's just wrestling with the controls to get it to do what I want it to do. That's just frustrating.

The bit that I can't seem to get to work in that specific video is when they come out of the morphball mode, and activate the shinespark. Every time i get to that little room at the end of the block tunnel, I just exit the morphball mode and can't activate it, even though it looks like i must have been moving fast enough and must still be in a boost to have made it all the way through the tunnel.
Easier:
https://i.imgur.com/VlPkVDu.mp4

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's how I did it since I didn't even know at the point that it was possible to speed-boost and slide. I couldn't do it at first because no cross bombs, so when I got em I assumed that was one of the rewards meant for it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That is basically how i did it except I shinesparked on the ground and jumped up because I didn’t know about boosted walljumps. You don’t have to go to the other room, though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'll give that a go tomorrow. There's definitely something up with me not being able to trigger the spark in that alcove.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kin posted:

I'll give that a go tomorrow. There's definitely something up with me not being able to trigger the spark in that alcove.

My joycon is futzy in one direction (down and to the right). If i want to trigger a shinespark running to the right I have to start pointing up and to the right to make it work. Could be a similar issue for you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

My joycon is futzy in one direction (down and to the right). If i want to trigger a shinespark running to the right I have to start pointing up and to the right to make it work. Could be a similar issue for you.

Yeah it might genuinely be an issue with Joycon Drift (tm)

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
as someone who is generally Not A Speedrunner but likes to try for all the rewards in a metroid, is there a suggested or recommended sequence breaky/item path for sub-four hours? i made a pretty drat good clip through the game my first go round, but am not particularly confident if i throw myself back into it blind of the time-saving sequence break possibilities that that'll get shaved down enough with my current map familiarity

might just do a "however long it takes" hard mode playthrough before trying for a fast run anyway

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Kin posted:

as strange as it seems, if you hit ZL when you're in that alcove and then hit down, you will still hit the shinespark charge. i guess you can unmorph while boosted and keep it (so probably keep holding left? might not need to). the THIRD video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNBYTcRlvK8

tada

Your Computer posted:

walljumping doesn't need any directional input at all in dread - you simply press A near a wall and it jumps you in the opposite direction. to do the zig zag back and forth wall jump you don't need to touch the stick at all, you just need to press A

i've seen a lot of oldtimers get messed up by this because they're used to having to input a direction, so they end up sabotaging their own walljumps

.... oh. well. that would have helped lol, thanks. i was wishing i could turn the space jump off when doing walljumps, guess it was just that!

Quotey fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 18, 2021

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nikumatic posted:

as someone who is generally Not A Speedrunner but likes to try for all the rewards in a metroid, is there a suggested or recommended sequence breaky/item path for sub-four hours? i made a pretty drat good clip through the game my first go round, but am not particularly confident if i throw myself back into it blind of the time-saving sequence break possibilities that that'll get shaved down enough with my current map familiarity

might just do a "however long it takes" hard mode playthrough before trying for a fast run anyway

As long as you don't go the wrong way for significant periods of time, doing everything straightforwardly should be fine for getting under 4 hours in both difficulties. The main thing to do is just to make sure you don't save after having gotten lost, if you lose track of where you were supposed to go just reload from your last save and go straight to the right place next time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah it might genuinely be an issue with Joycon Drift (tm)

Hmm might be, though I already replaced the left stick in the last 2 years or so and haven't played it anywhere near enough to get drift again.

I'll try with my pro controller to see if it's a timing or hardware thing.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Quotey posted:

as strange as it seems, if you hit ZL when you're in that alcove and then hit down, you will still hit the shinespark charge. i guess you can unmorph while boosted and keep it (so probably keep holding left? might not need to). the THIRD video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNBYTcRlvK8

tada

This is probably the simplest and intended way. I used the hardest method in the first video posted since I didn't think to do the wall jump kick.

I'm still stuck at 99%. For me the killer is the missile+ pack in burenia that requires 2 chained shinesparks on diagonals. It doesn't help that the space you're given to charge is just barely long enough. The sequence near the beginning where you slide to get through the gap, shoot straight down then boost to the left is a lot to do at once. I've never been able to preserve the boost coming out of the final slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsxM38gjOAY

@1:46

c'mon

I suppose it'll feel good when I finally nail it

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A Bag of Milk posted:

Yes, it did. For me the hardest part was getting the boost going. I had very regular progression on getting the timing down each attempt I made when I got the boost to start at the begining. But I had like 5 false starts each time.

Also you apparently can skip the 2nd ramp spark. You can just land and space jump over it, but that makes the timing very tight.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

A Bag of Milk posted:

This is probably the simplest and intended way. I used the hardest method in the first video posted since I didn't think to do the wall jump kick.

I'm still stuck at 99%. For me the killer is the missile+ pack in burenia that requires 2 chained shinesparks on diagonals. It doesn't help that the space you're given to charge is just barely long enough. The sequence near the beginning where you slide to get through the gap, shoot straight down then boost to the left is a lot to do at once. I've never been able to preserve the boost coming out of the final slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsxM38gjOAY

@1:46

c'mon

You don't have to shoot the blocks, you can land on them and do a standing shinespark diagonally down and left to hit the ramp and keep going.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

it took me a good 10 minutes to get the first shine onto the ramp in mid-air and I got the rest of the sequence that first time :iiam:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
God I want more of this game. I don't want to replay it, I just want more of it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Wonder if there could ever be DLC.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Calaveron posted:

God I want more of this game. I don't want to replay it, I just want more of it.

This is kindof where I'm at.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

ROJO posted:

You don't have to shoot the blocks, you can land on them and do a standing shinespark diagonally down and left to hit the ramp and keep going.

Ok, yes, thank you. That's brilliant. It only took me about 10 more tries using this method, but I got it. Much easier. I also think ducking to preserve the charge before the second slide rather than after might be a bit easier. There's still plenty of time to hit the next spark.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

looking forward to every 2d metroid game getting remade in this engine. i'll gladly cough up my 80 CAD for each and every one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Good Sphere posted:

Ridley squawks forlornly in the distance

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is kindof where I'm at.

My first run (~11 hours), I remember thinking "God, there's a lot of game here." Second run (Hard, ~5 hours) it felt way smaller. 3rd Run (normal, 3 hours), it feels really lean. To be fair, Super took me something like 5 hours after not playing it for 20 years so I probably shouldn't complain that my first run was twice that of Super's but I do want there to be more now. Plus, my OCD wants there to be another level above Cataris on the map :v:

I don't know if DLC would ever be in the works but we got it for BotW. It's just a shame that I'm basically "done" with the game one week in. It's a great game but I don't really have a reason to keep playing it besides getting faster.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Holy poo poo I just figured out what ZL does while jumping, and I think I’m at the ending of the game. This whole time I was pushing down, down.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Good Sphere posted:

that top-right section of the global map being so empty makes me think (hope) they're planning this too :pray:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ciaphas posted:

that top-right section of the global map being so empty makes me think (hope) they're planning this too :pray:

It's very conspicuous isn't it?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Good Sphere posted:

Need some way to squeeze in everyone's favorite ZSS gameplay.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Calaveron posted:

My eternal curse, games like Super Metroid (and this now that I'm at what I assume is the final boss) is that I don't finish it because I don't want it to end.

I mean,I will finish it, but after that just sort of want to go around as the harbinger of death that Samus is and explore the planet more.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just finished a hard mode run in about 7hrs, 45min. Got 39% of items, but also tried to figure out how I want to sequence break on my next speed run.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
My Twitter feed is now full of people unironically saying Other M was just a misunderstood masterpiece.
This tells me we should have gatekept Metroid harder, don't know how else to respond to this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
restarted prime after beating this and i forgot that samus lost all her powers by getting bonked into a wall a little too hard

must've been putting off suit maintenance or something

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

Holy poo poo I just figured out what ZL does while jumping, and I think I’m at the ending of the game. This whole time I was pushing down, down.

I'm at the final boss and never noticed this. Goddamn.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

My Twitter feed is now full of people unironically saying Other M was just a misunderstood masterpiece.
This tells me we should have gatekept Metroid harder, don't know how else to respond to this.

Fire. And lots of it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I've seen people try to claim that the only issues with Other M were all because of the translation, there's a weird subculture that wants to die on the hill that actually it's good and they're best ignored.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Eopia posted:

I've seen people try to claim that the only issues with Other M were all because of the translation, there's a weird subculture that wants to die on the hill that actually it's good and they're best ignored.

Like I said earlier in this thread, if Other M's only problems were it's hilariously bad story I could gave it a pass.
I really, really can't give it a pass man. It's just, really not good all around lol.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Great Beer posted:

I'm at the final boss and never noticed this. Goddamn.

What does it do? I don’t have the game handy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eopia posted:

I think it's a byproduct of increased availability. It used to be that the most obscure entries in a series got praised to the heavens, because they let the person who'd actually played them act superior. But now, even obscure stuff is relatively easy to find, and thus the kind of elitist prick who has to be into bands nobody else has heard of is forced to resort to praising lovely games and films because they're the biggest remaining avenue to show that your taste is more refined than the plebians.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Oxxidation posted:

restarted prime after beating this and i forgot that samus lost all her powers by getting bonked into a wall a little too hard

must've been putting off suit maintenance or something

In the next Metroid game, Samus's powers are subscription services. She loses her powers at the beginning because she's out of Galactic Federation WiFi range for too long and her suit can't verify her sub is still active.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Instant morph

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s the morph ball in/out button. Unless you’re running, then it’s slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

mastajake posted:

It’s the morph ball in/out button. Unless you’re running, then it’s slide.

:popeye: