Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Yep, that's the one.
As a previous poster said you don't want Maracyn oxy or Maracyn 2. Just regular Maracyn: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/mardel-maracyn

Here's my fan skrimps.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Hey so a while ago I posted about an algae problem and was recommended Flourish Excel, which worked wonders.

The thing is, I have a large planted fresh water tank and if I buy a small bottle of excel it lasts a week which is just enough time to kill off all the algae but in that time I can see a visible difference in how much my plants grow, which I mean I think is its actual intended purpose.

Anyway, its a planted tank, so obviously the goal is to grow plants, but paying ten bucks a week for excel, while not prohibitively expensive, is more than id prefer to spend.

Is there any cheaper alternatives?

its basically liquid carbon dioxide right? theres got to be a cheaper solution ?

edit: I guess if I buy the giant economy sized jug its 10x the product for 3x the price... making it like 3 dollars a week. probably less since I wouldnt have to start off with the big dose. still curious if theres a cheaper solution

Hi fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 17, 2021

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thank you guys for the help. I ordered ich-x. If for some reason I want to dos e with salt, is iodized fine? I don't have a saltwater tank so I don't have aquarium salt.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I believe iodized salt is no go, but kosher salt doesn't have iodine (maybe?). You pretty much want coarse Rock salt not fine table salt that has additives to assist pouring. Supermarket salt should be ok as long as it's straight sodium chloride. Aquarium plants hate it in therapeutic dosages though, so maybe worth setting up a hospital tub/tote?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Kosher salt it is then, tomorrow is the earliest I can get to the grocery store. As far as I know kosher is only sodium chloride with nothing else added. At least Morton or Diamond brand.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Back after a long hiatus and looking for general advice on what to restock my tank with, previously had a Fantail goldfish. I have also kept Ghost shrimp and Gold White Cloud Mountain minnows. The temperature in my apartment ranges from 72-82 depending on the season. I neglected maintenance of my tank for a long while, water was depleted to the point where the HoB filter was not cycling but left running so the it might be shot. I changed out the water and cleaned everything else in the last week, haven't filled it completely because I might move it to another location. I'm hoping to keep things as simple as possible, ideally would use Eheim automatic feeder and do a water change every 2 weeks. My guess is that another goldfish would probably be my best bet but open to other suggestions.

I recall receiving an email warning me that the Marimo moss balls I purchased may be contaminated with Zebra mussels which I can't find now. I have read up on it here: https://www.fws.gov/fisheries/ans/zebra-mussel-disposal.html. I purchased my moss balls Sept 25 2020 and would have received them relatively shortly thereafter. The website recommends destroying any moss balls purchased after Jan 2021. Should I be destroying them anyway and decontaminating to be safe and responsible?

EQUIPMENT DETAILS
29g High - Lid Dimensions - 11 5/8" x 29 1/8"
*AquaClear 50 HoB filter
*DIY peanut butter container internal filter (Fluval rings, Corner Filter bio media, sponge) - sharing 20-100gph air pump
*Waterwood Corner Filter (Fluval cermaic bio media, carbon pad, sponge) - sharing 20-100gph air pump
*Eheim Everyday Fish Feeder - dispenses flakes once a day
*JC&P Full Spectrum Aquarium light - 2888 Lumens // 22 Watts // 101 White, 18 Blue, 8 Red and 8 Green LEDs - white light has 7000-7500K and blue light has 455 wavelengths w/ timer

TAP WATER LEVELS
Ammonia - 0.5-1
pH - 7.6-8
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 10-20ppm

Levin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 17, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I won't advise you, but can tell you what I've done with my marrimos, bought around the same time.

I have kept a close eye on everything for months (at that time, I was only growing plants in multiple 2.5gal "betta bowls", to prepare for planting out my first aquarium. No critters). I happened to want to cut a couple open, to try the glue marrimo pieces to driftwood, and mimic a tree thing. So I cut open a couple with scissors, and gave it all a good squeeze. Really felt around for any kind of shellfish that might be living in there. Snails would trip up this diagnostic, but I felt in the clear. I have 2 left, rolling around, and one mat from the unfolded cut up remains. Perhaps an extended quarantine and inspection would be worth considering?

Eta: no sign of even near microscopic mussels yet, to be clear.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 17, 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The water parameters in my new tank seem to have stabilized at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, somewhere between 0 and 5 nitrates, so I'm probably going to move my fish over in the next few days. I'm also going to move over the heater, which is covered in algae. I'm planning on scrubbing it in a bleach solution before putting it in the new tank. Any other hot tips?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The water parameters in my new tank seem to have stabilized at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, somewhere between 0 and 5 nitrates, so I'm probably going to move my fish over in the next few days. I'm also going to move over the heater, which is covered in algae. I'm planning on scrubbing it in a bleach solution before putting it in the new tank. Any other hot tips?
Skip the bleach, and keep the algae. It eats nitrates too.
Otherwise, make sure to rinse well.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

No bleach, just warm water and a clean toothbrush to scrub it clean.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cowslips Warren posted:

No bleach, just warm water and a clean toothbrush to scrub it clean.

always avoid bleach or other toxic chemicals when you can. it only takes a tiny bit brought over to really gently caress with your tank

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

always avoid bleach or other toxic chemicals when you can. it only takes a tiny bit brought over to really gently caress with your tank

I once killed an entire tank of albino bichirs because I was impatient and didn't let a new tank sit out for another few days to make sure all the bleach was gone.

Bleach is usually safer than other chemicals but you gotta check for additives. And wash it a loving lot, and let it sit out and dry.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Skip the bleach, and keep the algae. It eats nitrates too.
Otherwise, make sure to rinse well.

Soak it in hot water, scrub it, soak it in hydrogen peroxide overnight. Soak it in tap water for a day afterwards.

Hydrogen peroxide will kill the algae and won't linger like bleach. Also won't stink up the place.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So we've got a 5 gallon tank with a betta and two plants in it, and I was wondering, are there any other things that can live with that? Even a snail or two would be cool if the betta didn't bother it.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'm looking to put a decent-size aquarium in my office. I have no idea what manufacturers make reliable tanks, and I don't want to simply buy the most expensive option, hoping cost = quality. Last time I kept fish was 20 years ago (salt and fresh), so I have no idea what technology has improved, or what manufacturers are making good or shoddy merch. When I got rid off my old stuff, fluidized bed filters were all the rage; I don't even know if they exist any more. I now have a 69-inch-wide by 53-inch-high space to put a tank. WTF do I do.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

So we've got a 5 gallon tank with a betta and two plants in it, and I was wondering, are there any other things that can live with that? Even a snail or two would be cool if the betta didn't bother it.

are you in Canada? A goon is offering mystery snails

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Get yer mystery snails now, before I need to get a puffer.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Lincoln posted:

I'm looking to put a decent-size aquarium in my office. I have no idea what manufacturers make reliable tanks, and I don't want to simply buy the most expensive option, hoping cost = quality. Last time I kept fish was 20 years ago (salt and fresh), so I have no idea what technology has improved, or what manufacturers are making good or shoddy merch. When I got rid off my old stuff, fluidized bed filters were all the rage; I don't even know if they exist any more. I now have a 69-inch-wide by 53-inch-high space to put a tank. WTF do I do.

In the USA the options are different than for EU or AU. Here (AU) we are limited to a few brands of tanks with highly variable prices, expensive custom made tanks, or cheap no-name tanks on unsealed stands. Honestly huge tanks are heavy and a pain to maneuver, so I'd look at the logistics of how you'd get a tank and sturdy tank furniture into the office first, then look at what the floor is capable of holding. Do you have access to power for filter/heating/lighting? Then look at where/how you plan to do water changes. Maybe a smaller tank and some storage area for your filter/maintenance gear/fishfood/water treatment supplies would make more sense? Plan your logistics first I think. Wait unless this is a home office then ignore some of what I'm saying.

I guess more importantly what do you want to get out of the tank? Colour and movement? Peace and calm? Lush green plants or striking aquascape arrangements? Or a big office buddy (or group of buddies) to keep you company? Get your ideas straight and that will guide you into selecting fish that will suit the feel you want for the tank.

Canister filters are pretty standard now, fluidized beds still see use in sumps for big dirty fish where you don't want the flow through the media to be blocked. But you can get some nice modular sumps too which might be better for a big tank if that's what you end up doing. You can use a variety of media to make sure you're covering all your bases. If you get your mechanical filtration set up, you get a lot better biological filtration without needing to worry about it clogging up. There's lots of "right" ways to keep fish these days, pretty hard to get it wrong I think unless you undersize, overfeed, or overcrowd.

I think if it was me, I would be tempted to keep it simple and foolproof, for a tank I didn't have access to every day - some fancy goldfish so they don't need heat (room temperature is fine) and can handle power failures. Can handle irregular feeding and so on. I'd get some interesting hardscape and not worry too much about plants. So if this is a home office, throw that idea out since you will have more control over the tank and maintenance and could easily manage something more complicated.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Home Despot sells a bunch of different Husky workbenches that are rated to hold 1000+ pounds (some much more than that), are relatively affordable and easy to get and put together, and come in attractive finishes (at least white and black, some models also come in red, blue, etc) with a relatively minimal build.

They look much less “workbenchy” and more “console tabley” in white than black, and I think much better than your avg flatpack tank stand.

They have a steel base, so a caveat emptor is probably appropriate if you’re gonna have a big sump there (you could probably hit the frame with some spray clearcoat/epoxy/etc for good measure).

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

I'm not. Can buy from local store I just want to know if I'd be overwhelming my tank when it is already considered on the small end for a betta.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

I'm not. Can buy from local store I just want to know if I'd be overwhelming my tank when it is already considered on the small end for a betta.

get one or two Pomaceas and you’ll be fine

my dad has a planted 5gal with a betta and two now-adult poms and they’re plenty happy.

as far as I (and he) know, they’ve never laid eggs (or maybe they’ve been eaten?), but if they did it’s not hard to notice them and pull the eggmass out with something like a clean fork

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

I'm sorry I didn't mention it before, but I'm in Canada, and not prepared to deal with exports.

hey im in Ontario can I get one (1) mysterious snail?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Call Your Grandma posted:

hey im in Ontario can I get one (1) mysterious snail?

Sure thing. How many hundreds of endlers should I throw in with it?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

got my 5g setup now, here's the obligatory first day pic with cloudy water and small plants

Might get more moss for the tree next week, think it'll take a while to grow out with the amount I have currently

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Stoca Zola posted:

In the USA the options are different than for EU or AU. ... look at the logistics of how you'd get a tank and sturdy tank furniture into the office first, then look at what the floor is capable of holding. Do you have access to power for filter/heating/lighting? Then look at where/how you plan to do water changes. ... Wait unless this is a home office then ignore some of what I'm saying.

In the US; home office; second floor against a wall, but I don't know if the wall beneath is load-bearing. Bathroom sink is 12 feet away, so regular water changes (still a thing?) will be easy. Power source no problem; already bought & installed electrical outlet with built-in circuit breaker (GFCI in the US).

I have plenty of horizontal space, but I also need to fit the whole thing underneath a wall-mounted TV that I can't raise. That's actually been one of the biggest challenges while window-shopping tank stands: many are too tall for my available space, when combined with the tank. And is it a problem to have a TV just a few inches above an aquarium? I don't mean for electrical/safety reasons, I mean for the fish.

I'd also appreciate some brand/model recommendations, not excluding "avoid this one." I'd prefer a setup without a lot of openly visible hardware, so an "all in one" may be right up my alley. Still don't know if I want fresh or salt, so something that can do either would be good. I'm not in a hurry. Like I said, I have plenty of experience keeping fish, but I'm waaaaay out of practice & have no idea what's out there.

edit:I should probably add: I'm looking for something in the 40-50 gallon range, and I have a 69-inch-wide by 53-inch-high space to work with, but that 53 inches is right to the bottom of the aforementioned TV. Will likely need wiggle room for light/hood/splashing.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 20, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lincoln posted:

In the US; home office; second floor against a wall, but I don't know if the wall beneath is load-bearing. Bathroom sink is 12 feet away, so regular water changes (still a thing?) will be easy. Power source no problem; already bought & installed electrical outlet with built-in circuit breaker (GFCI in the US).

I have plenty of horizontal space, but I also need to fit the whole thing underneath a wall-mounted TV that I can't raise. That's actually been one of the biggest challenges while window-shopping tank stands: many are too tall for my available space, when combined with the tank. And is it a problem to have a TV just a few inches above an aquarium? I don't mean for electrical/safety reasons, I mean for the fish.

I'd also appreciate some brand/model recommendations, not excluding "avoid this one." I'd prefer a setup without a lot of openly visible hardware, so an "all in one" may be right up my alley. Still don't know if I want fresh or salt, so something that can do either would be good. I'm not in a hurry. Like I said, I have plenty of experience keeping fish, but I'm waaaaay out of practice & have no idea what's out there.

edit:I should probably add: I'm looking for something in the 40-50 gallon range, and I have a 69-inch-wide by 53-inch-high space to work with, but that 53 inches is right to the bottom of the aforementioned TV. Will likely need wiggle room for light/hood/splashing.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Home Despot sells a bunch of different Husky workbenches that are rated to hold 1000+ pounds (some much more than that), are relatively affordable and easy to get and put together, and come in attractive finishes (at least white and black, some models also come in red, blue, etc) with a relatively minimal build.

They look much less “workbenchy” and more “console tabley” in white than black, and I think much better than your avg flatpack tank stand.

They have a steel base, so a caveat emptor is probably appropriate if you’re gonna have a big sump there (you could probably hit the frame with some spray clearcoat/epoxy/etc for good measure).

How tight of a budget are you on?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Ok Comboomer posted:

How tight of a budget are you on?

I kinda assumed at the outset that I'd be looking at $500 or so (tank/stand only), but I don't know if that's realistic. I'm not interested in the $2K+ options.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lincoln posted:

I kinda assumed at the outset that I'd be looking at $500 or so (tank/stand only), but I don't know if that's realistic. I'm not interested in the $2K+ options.

It’s realistic but you’ll have to DIY some poo poo or/and compromise in terms of *sleek rimless aesthetic*.

Look at my aforementioned post about Husky stands. You can get one for $200-300 depending on size/fanciness level.

For the tank you could look at your local Craigslist/Facebook marketplace for a deal. Lots of ppl are always getting rid of tanks, especially big tanks. Often you can get an especially unwanted tank for free if you’re patient.

Your other good budget option is to wait for Petco to have one of its regular Half Price Tank Sales. :siren:OH SNAP THERE APPEARS TO BE ONE HAPPENING RIGHT NOW:siren: and snag a 40gal for $50 or 55gal for like $60. Note that there are “breeder” (shorter heightwise and deeper front-to-back) and “tall” (taller heightwise and shallower in terms of front-to-back depth) and/or “standard” dimensions commonly available so look around for what you want.

Check the website and check the stores in your area, be prepared to visit a couple stores. If you pay on the website and do store pickup you can apparently save an additional 10% by joining, but I feel like that risks losing the option to personally go and choose the nicest tank. Sometimes the trim, etc can get a bit scuffed at the store/in transport and it’s nice to be able to have your pick from a couple of examples. Also there is often a disconnect between what the website says a given store has in stock and what they actually have in stock, which is why I say that you should expect to visit at least one, probably two or even three stores in your area.

Also you might have to show the person at the checkout counter the Petco website with the sale price if, for whatever reason, they aren’t advertising it in-store. Fun fact- Petco brick n mortar stores will always price match to the Petco website, which can often be like 10-50% cheaper than the price on the shelf.

If you happen to miss the currently-happening sale, I know for sure they do one during Black Friday/Thanksgiving Weekend.

Anyway, once you have your tank you’ll want to filter it. I think for you your two best options are either a HoB filter (maybe like a size-appropriate-or bigger if saltwater- AquaClear, etc) or a partition/internal sump.

The latter is fairly easy to DIY depending on how handy you are (lots of tutorials out there and you can ask us) or there are several quite affordable ($50-$200) drop-in inserts/kits/etc available from places like BulkReefSupply.

There’s also some new low-profile internal filters that are apparently really nice: Tunze Comline ($60-200). You just stick these in the tank and adhere them to the back glass in the middle, or in a corner, etc.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 20, 2021

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Pet Island moves too slow to make a new thread about this, and I am setting up an aquarium to put them in - I am going to try keeping a pair of regular garden snails. I haven't seen any snails (native or exotic) in my yard since the 50 degree heatwave we had a couple of years ago. I also haven't seen any of the larger lizards in my yard that would have eaten these snails - sleepy lizards (bobtail skinks) or blue tongued skinks. So the idea is to have a captive population and once I have the pond dug out and planted, to reintroduce snails to my yard since there will be a moisture source for them. I wonder if snails eat duckweed.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Stoca Zola posted:

Pet Island moves too slow to make a new thread about this, and I am setting up an aquarium to put them in - I am going to try keeping a pair of regular garden snails. I haven't seen any snails (native or exotic) in my yard since the 50 degree heatwave we had a couple of years ago. I also haven't seen any of the larger lizards in my yard that would have eaten these snails - sleepy lizards (bobtail skinks) or blue tongued skinks. So the idea is to have a captive population and once I have the pond dug out and planted, to reintroduce snails to my yard since there will be a moisture source for them. I wonder if snails eat duckweed.

I keep giant african land snails and they get the excess duckweed from my tank. In general, snails will eat most things, just avoid citrus and chuck some cuttlebone in there for shell health (fish food is also a good snail suppliment)

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

This one already escaped once, I had to stand and watch to make sure they couldn't push the lid off they're that meaty. Still can't quite believe so much snail fitted in that shell. The other one went into the piece of pipe I put for their house and has done an orange carrot poop, so seems a lot happier or at least less restless.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

I know nothing about snails, but I am glad there are people like you doing things like this.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I know nothing about snails, but I am glad there are people like you doing things like this.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
One of my Spotted Garra is in love with one of my Panda Garra and the Panda just isn't into it. I doubt they can hybridize but I've seen weirder hybrids. I feel like one of them needs to go into the time-out box but which of the twelve (6 Spotted, 6 Panda) and how do I even go about catching any of them lol

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Sorry on the blurriness, but best I could get the phone camera to behave. I suspect the bits of algae on the glass may be confusing the focusing sensor. Either way though, a little surprise looking at my quarantine tank just now.

Confirmed female and male amano shrimp. Sadly, I know nothing will happen to the kids as this is a pure freshwater setup. But interesting all the same. And I have absolutely no room to even attempt to try and start a green water tank to put the babies into. These guys' final home will be to a co-worker. Hopefully next weekend they can pick them up. I'm also in a panic about it as I can see a bit of decalcification happening to the two snails. Even though I've been hitting the tank with some extra calcium blocks in the form of zoo med's banquet blocks along with my already hard water. I'm going to assumed as I've seen the shrimp grooming on the shells that they weren't after the food growing, but instead the calcium in the shells. Either way, getting them into a bigger tank I think will help them immensely.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

My big female amano has had eggs for a few months now. Still wondering if anything is going to come of it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I've had amanos exclusively for about four years. Last year in the heat wave one had eggs and they spread out in the tank and then we're gone within a day or two. Obviously they can't complete the growth cycle within freshwater. I wouldn't worry about it just be careful with timing of water changes apparently because the mom shrimp is fragile or something.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
My female amano has been berried pretty much constantly since I got her a year ago. She’s an absolute beast and bullies all the other shrimp out of the way for food

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Bumble Dong posted:

My female amano has been berried pretty much constantly since I got her a year ago. She’s an absolute beast and bullies all the other shrimp out of the way for food

That's exactly how this one is. Grew big fast and does not give a gently caress about the other shrimp or the fish for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Update: now I have two females with eggs in that tank. I'm actually started to wonder if they just hit maturity or if something changed to trigger it. Kind of wish I had a tank to put them in to see if I could make it work, but I just don't have confidence at it right now nor the space for a 3rd tank just so I can alter the water to brackish conditions for the babies.

The only thing I've added to both tanks recently is zoo med's pleco banquet blocks. Which is basically a large version of the nano blocks I was using that don't dissolve in a few days. Also has wood fiber in it as well. I'm still dropping in one algae wafer a day as well (hikari). But this is feeding a pair of snails and 10 otos as well.