Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I wish I could say my first UHD was Tammy and the T-Rex, but that was my second. My first was Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I wish I could say my first UHD was Tammy and the T-Rex, but that was my second. My first was Halloween.

edogawa rando posted:

My first UHD was Tammy and the T-Rex.

:smug:

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
First VHS I bought myself was Toy Story (I think)

First DVD was Fight Club and Simpsons season 1 as birthday gifts. First I bought myself was Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

First Blu was Pixar's Up

First UHD was Starship Troopers (a year before I even had a 4k tv or player)

I am happy with all of these.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

First VHS I remember buying with my own money was Halloween 5, woof. DVD was Resident Evil. Bluray was Spider-Man 3 it came with my PS3 and finally I end on a high note, the first 4K UHD was also Tammy & the T-Rex

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My first UHD was Blade Runner 2049, as it will be on every subsequent medium.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My first UHD was John Wick 3

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I can't remember what my first Blu-Ray was, probably because it was in a two pack with the DVD version of the movie as well, and that was all I was interested in.

For all I know, it might have been one of the Lego Star Wars Specials, since I'd get those when I'd babysit my nephew.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
First DVD (i.e. my choice to get): Godzilla 2000

First Blu Ray: Super 8

First UHD (though I haven't actually used it yet): Dune

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Maxwell Lord posted:

First UHD (though I haven't actually used it yet): Dune

You may want to sooner rather than later, I had to set up a replacement for that disc because It's defective. Lots of people finding the movie freezes and skips around the 46-50min mark.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I don't have any UHD discs because I can't afford one of those fancy new fangled TVs that make it worth bothering.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Steal one then :confused:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

I don't have any UHD discs because I can't afford one of those fancy new fangled TVs that make it worth bothering.

You make this comment every month or so (including the low-key mockery of the "fancy new fangled" TVs) and it always makes me wonder why you even visit this thread.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

You make this comment every month or so (including the low-key mockery of the "fancy new fangled" TVs) and it always makes me wonder why you even visit this thread.

My brain is broken and I don't remember saying it and blu-ray didn't stop existing. Until fairly recently UHD discs were a very small part of the discussion.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I also like old timey slang.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

I also like old timey slang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NSmv1mvGNg

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basically. I often use the phrase "run afoul of the local teenaged hooligans".

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

My brain is broken and I don't remember saying it and blu-ray didn't stop existing. Until fairly recently UHD discs were a very small part of the discussion.

Fair enough. But also:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

Have you considered selling organs and/or killing people for money? :tfrxmas:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Wife and I watched the Scream Factory Halloween(1978) 4k UHD last night and we were both freaked out by how good it looked. We also thought it looked like it could have been filmed with a new phone not in a disparaging way. Film is awesome.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ive never watched a UHD with a nice tv yet I own one bc they keep fixing the movies I like in UHD so

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

finally received a shipping notice for Halloween and Halloween 3 UHD's. looking forward to both arriving.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Have you considered selling organs and/or killing people for money? :tfrxmas:

I'm far too lazy for a life of crime.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

King Vidiot posted:

No lie, I just clicked on this topic to post about that fine film. Thank you to this thread for mentioning it over the months, finally got some friends to watch it last night. Glorious! What a movie. B-movie magic, so good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I didn't really get into VHS purchasing or collecting (all were from my parents or relatives), but here's my stats...

First DVD received: The Abyss (2000)
First DVD purchased myself: Airplane! (also my first-ever order from Amazon back in 2001)
First Criterion DVD: 8 1/2 and Notorious (2002 - ordered together)
First Blu-ray: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Wall-E, and The Dark Knight (ordered together in early 2009)
First UHD: 2001: A Space Odyssey
First laserdisc: Citizen Kane (Criterion CLV)

Also, Columbia Classics Vol. 2 4K is a real beauty. Managed to catch a few bits of Anatomy of a Murder, Oliver!, and Taxi Driver. There's something perverse about the opening Columbia logo persisting to look like utter garbage, even on the Dolby Vision master. Also, I didn't realize the book included with these sets had notes on the restorations/remastering. Kind of shocked that two entire reels from Oliver! were found to be missing from the camera negative. They also used interpositives to fill in missing frames on Anatomy of a Murder, Taxi Driver, and Stripes. Oliver! also has no surviving separate audio elements - only the 4-track magnetic mix used for 35mm mag prints and 70mm. The Social Network's new 4K master has some very minor revisions made to the film consisting of a few effects fixes (one of the credits had the wrong drop shadow and framing was adjusted on a few shots.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

You may want to sooner rather than later, I had to set up a replacement for that disc because It's defective. Lots of people finding the movie freezes and skips around the 46-50min mark.

I don't have a UHD player or 4K TV- I got the set for the BR and the physical stuff. I probably will upgrade eventually but who knows when.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
lol at me I just bought a new 3d blu ray in 2021. Going to take like a month but I found a decent price.

If you really want to laugh at me, it was Black Widow. This is presumably the last 3d MCU home release and it felt weird missing just one in my collection.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Oh ya i didn’t even remember it released in 3D. I picked up the 4K but it’s October so it’s a steady diet of horror movies until next month.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

dorium posted:

Oh ya i didn’t even remember it released in 3D. I picked up the 4K but it’s October so it’s a steady diet of horror movies until next month.

The only place it got a home 3d release was Japan.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Spacebump posted:

The only place it got a home 3d release was Japan.

oh dang lol that's a hell of a pickup.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Is there any Jackie Chan in 4K?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dragonshirt posted:

Is there any Jackie Chan in 4K?

The Lego Ninjago Movie but that's probably not what you're interested in.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So Shout is supposed to have a sale starting today right? Haven’t seen anything yet.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I finally have a working VCR again and am getting back into VHS collecting, god help me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I finally have a working VCR again and am getting back into VHS collecting, god help me.

Do you have Tammy & the T-rex?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He’s lost to the underground world of VHS. You can’t help him now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Get a few key studio releases with iconic box art and stuff, but the real hotness is bootlegs, taped-from-tv stuff with commercials, and mystery tapes from eBay. I've found some bizarro home videos and instructional videos and regional weirdness.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

Get a few key studio releases with iconic box art and stuff, but the real hotness is bootlegs, taped-from-tv stuff with commercials, and mystery tapes from eBay. I've found some bizarro home videos and instructional videos and regional weirdness.

Yeah, that's why I get tempted to source a VHS player

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

All that stuff is online now though, so the only reason to get the actual VHS tapes is if you have a desire to fill up a room with something and have a penchant for mold...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For me it's about finding stuff that hasn't been digitized yet. And then digitizing it, if I ever manage to get around to it.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, that's why I get tempted to source a VHS player

If you do, just an FYI about your future—I just bought an 8mm projector and film scanner. Starting with all my grandpa's old stuff, then I'm gonna hit up all the estate sales and flea markets I can. So the rabbit hole gets deeper.

No loving clue how this projector works, though. It has a 24 step setup process and I don't know what half of the words mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

For me it's about finding stuff that hasn't been digitized yet. And then digitizing it, if I ever manage to get around to it.

If you do, just an FYI about your future—I just bought an 8mm projector and film scanner. Starting with all my grandpa's old stuff, then I'm gonna hit up all the estate sales and flea markets I can. So the rabbit hole gets deeper.

No loving clue how this projector works, though. It has a 24 step setup process and I don't know what half of the words mean.

So, when will I expect a link for a burned Blu-Ray from a shady site?