Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Johnny Joestar posted:

thankfully for the low price of 50 dollars a year you will finally be able to play 'zelda' on a console

Then after five years i better have five copies. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

and mhgu

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

snoremac posted:

The expansion pass reminded me to finally play Monster Hunter Rise so I can experience the online part of that and then ditch Switch Online because I never use it anyway.

Anyone know if MHR has a decent amount of people still playing?

mhgu, a port of a nintendo ds monster hunter that came out just barely after world came out on consoles, still has an active playerbase

you will basically -never- have trouble finding players in a monster hunter game years after the fact

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Dungeon Encounters has been a wild ride so far, if you're at all into dungeon crawling and some old school wizardry I highly suggest giving it a go.

A treasure mouse reached into my pockets so hard it took half a million gold from me and I only had 80k. but it's OK now everything gets entombed or eaten!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If the unthinkable happened and they had these N64 games all running at 60fps, or at least an absolutely stable 30fps, THAT would be nice.

That would almost certainly break the majority of games. Without a full rebuild, most of these games have game logic tied to framerate, or just start breaking in general once it starts getting too high. You can actually see it in practice in the Wii U DK64 which does run at 30 FPS and half the mini games are completely unplayable because they're too fast, or games like Ocarina have the physics break or collision stops working correctly when pushed to 30 or 60.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
DK64 just always had lovely minigames

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I wouldn’t expect Perfect Dark or any other M rated game to be added to this service

Sorry, Bio FREAKS fans

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

DK64 just always had lovely minigames

Jetpac and Donkey Kong arcade are great, what are you talking about. They're better than the actual game in DK64.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone else have the issue with joycons where if you are sitting around 8-10 feet from the dock the connection can get spotty especially if you lose line of sight? It’s very jarring when playing Metroid with the very responsive controls. I never have an issue at same distance with my ps5 or Xbox series s so I assume it’s something with the switch. Would a pro controller or 3rd party control mitigate the issue?
IIRC the joycons don't have the greatest Bluetooth module and even holding them the wrong way can make your hands block the signal to the console. Generally other controllers don't seem to have the same problem, I've used my SNES controller and my 8BitDo Pro 2 from about 10 feet away without much of a problem.

b_d posted:

this is true irl also.
You try eating a castle IRL. Post pictures on the forums for proof.

Waltzing Along posted:

If I get an erection while playing one of my horny anime switch games then the controller completely disconnects.
That has nothing to do with the Bluetooth, it's a separate feature built into the OS.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeesh saw Other M was trending on twitter and didn’t know so many people loved it so much. Guess every game has a defense crew even the irredeemable ones

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've only ever seen the bad cutscenes, I don't think I've ever actually seen the game itself being played

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

"nothing is immune to being eaten" doesn't mean "anyone can eat anything." try googling a little t hing called logic.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lastdancer posted:

Dungeon Encounters has been a wild ride so far, if you're at all into dungeon crawling and some old school wizardry I highly suggest giving it a go.

A treasure mouse reached into my pockets so hard it took half a million gold from me and I only had 80k. but it's OK now everything gets entombed or eaten!

I started getting the big movement upgrades around F40 or whatever and then just stopped doing the rpg part and spent hours exploring the bottom half of the dungeon instead. Now I have a bunch of weapons that are like 50 times stronger than what I had before, it's ridiculous lol

I also, and this is a real spoiler for the very bottom floors but also a helpful tip, dropped one of my guys into a pitfall on F92 or so and he "fell for an eternity" and is now wandering -somewhere- in this 99 floor dungeon, and I'll probably never find him again, so my advice is don't walk into pitfalls at the bottom of the dungeon.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 18, 2021

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Kevyn posted:

I wouldn’t expect Perfect Dark or any other M rated game to be added to this service

Sorry, Bio FREAKS fans

Doom has promotion in smash and Nintendo asked platinumgames to make Bayonetta sexier, where is this idea coming from?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bushisms.txt posted:

Nintendo asked platinumgames to make Bayonetta sexier, where is this idea coming from?

Having M rated games in the sub makes the sub M rated or at least vague

This kills the sub rate (they may think)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The Bloop posted:

Having M rated games in the sub makes the sub M rated or at least vague

This kills the sub rate (they may think)

I can see that, but if anything I'd think the bigger price tag already puts children out of range, as in that's how they plan on recouping from lost sales when the rating goes up.

And is the app just rated as one thing?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've only ever seen the bad cutscenes, I don't think I've ever actually seen the game itself being played

Other M the game is worse than bad: it's aggressively boring because it's a linear 3D action game that uses the Wiimote and functions off autoaim and autododge.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The M rated N64 games will only be unlocked between midnight and 5AM

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

lets hang out posted:

I started getting the big movement upgrades around F40 or whatever and then just stopped doing the rpg part and spent hours exploring the bottom half of the dungeon instead. Now I have a bunch of weapons that are like 50 times stronger than what I had before, it's ridiculous lol

I also, and this is a real spoiler for the very bottom floors but also a helpful tip, dropped one of my guys into a pitfall on F92 or so and he "fell for an eternity" and is now wandering -somewhere- in this 99 floor dungeon, and I'll probably never find him again, so my advice is don't walk into pitfalls at the bottom of the dungeon.

Oh yeah that, totally already happened to me with my entire opening party, lol. There was a one-way teleporter on like floor 38 that went to 92 and then another one to 97 where they fell through a hole and I lost them all. I spent some time tonight getting the rest of the wanderers and then right after I was able to find them again. I forget exactly where the ability to see pitfalls is, I believe it was between floors 40 and 60.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

What's the thread title referencing? Sounds pretty cool. Like Skid Row lyrics or something. Did Suda51 say it?

On the Switch pricing thing, the main downside is it only has the 12 month option. The cheaper subscription also having a 1 month, 3 month pricing, etc. I'd probably just want to play through Mario 64 and Starfox again, so a 3 month one would hit the spot.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 18, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

Other M the game is worse than bad: it's aggressively boring because it's a linear 3D action game that uses the Wiimote and functions off autoaim and autododge.

iiirc, Yoshio Sakamoto was ADAMANT that they not use the Nunchuk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Heavy Metal posted:

What's the thread title referencing? Sounds pretty cool. Like Skid Row lyrics or something. Did Suda51 say it?

On the Switch pricing thing, the main downside is it only has the 12 month option. The cheaper subscription also having a 1 month, 3 month pricing, etc. I'd probably just want to play through Mario 64 and Starfox again, so a 3 month one would hit the spot.

A guy got really high and beat Metroid and tweeted that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cojawfee posted:

A guy got really high and beat Metroid and tweeted that.

Good to know, that rocks. Dril isn't the only poet!

v (hell yeah!)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Heavy Metal posted:

It is the main takeaway of the metroid series

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Kevyn posted:

Sorry, Bio FREAKS fans

I will pay them to keep Bio FREAKS off the service

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

bushisms.txt posted:

I can see that, but if anything I'd think the bigger price tag already puts children out of range, as in that's how they plan on recouping from lost sales when the rating goes up.

And is the app just rated as one thing?

Yes. Putting Perfect Dark on the service would make the entire N64 app an M rated app. Kids with parental controls on their Switches wouldn’t even be able to open the app to play Kirby or whatever

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Do Nintendo need permission from Rare/Microsoft to put Banjo on the service or do they share rights to the game?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Microsoft fully owns it so they would have had to entered discussions to put it on the service.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
microsoft owns all characters created by Rare which is why Conker and Banjo were not in the DS port of Diddy Kong Racing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kevyn posted:

Yes. Putting Perfect Dark on the service would make the entire N64 app an M rated app. Kids with parental controls on their Switches wouldn’t even be able to open the app to play Kirby or whatever

Dunno about the US but the PAL versions of the NES/SNES app have M rated games last I checked.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Commander Keene posted:

"Have you ever eaten an entire train piece by piece after you derailed it with your penis?"

"Yes. It was for charity."

American McGay posted:

Microsoft fully owns it so they would have had to entered discussions to put it on the service.

It probably happened when they added Banjo to Smash I imagine, Nintendo was almost certainly already planning to put N64 games on NSO and just didn't know when they'd get around to it, and Microsoft probably figured that the Rare Replay version of the game being better, they wouldn't really lose anything by letting Nintendo release the original version. And considering Rare Replay has been around a while, they figured anyone who hasn't gotten it by now would just never get it, so no point in worrying about losing Xbox sales to Switch just because of Banjo.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dunno about the US but the PAL versions of the NES/SNES app have M rated games last I checked.

*shrug* it’s the same lineup in the US and Europe and the NES app is E10+ while SNES is T in the US

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I never had a SNES growing up and I just started playing LTTP.

It's p good.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I never had a SNES growing up and I just started playing LTTP.

It's p good.
Honestly I take for granted sometimes just how good it is. Sometimes I go back and just sit there and try to appreciate how perfect the art and music are.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like the art and the multi level dungeon stuff.

I know lots of folks have played this game so much that it's like a whole thing for them but it's my first time seeing it so lay off okay jeezus

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I played LttP a little while ago (having played but never finished on emulators) and got stuck as to where to go next in the first dungeon. I had similar trouble with the Link's Awakening remake where some puzzle solutions were abstract in a way things aren't in later titles. And NES Zelda, forget about it. I'm just no good at the pre-Ocarina ones.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

microsoft owns all characters created by Rare which is why Conker and Banjo were not in the DS port of Diddy Kong Racing
I figured that but wondered if they had some right to the original version. But considering it was never on Wii and Wii U eShop, of course not.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hatty posted:

Yeesh saw Other M was trending on twitter and didn’t know so many people loved it so much. Guess every game has a defense crew even the irredeemable ones.
Now that Other M has been sticken from the Metroid canon you'll inevitably find defenders of it.

I never did play more than a few minutes worth.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Muscle Tracer posted:

the rule of headlines: if it's a question, the answer is no
That's the trick isn't it? The answer is no, it's not too expensive. And yet the inescapable truth is that the price increase is too high. It's a paradox.

Kevyn posted:

Does the ESRB have a way to handle subscription apps yet? Otherwise all of XCloud will be rated M just because Doom is on it?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The United States posted:

That's the trick isn't it? The answer is no, it's not too expensive. And yet the inescapable truth is that the price increase is too high. It's a paradox.

Does the ESRB have a way to handle subscription apps yet? Otherwise all of XCloud will be rated M just because Doom is on it?

The esrb rates games submitted by a developer or publisher on an individual basis. A hosting service for games is not in itself a game that needs a rating.

That would be like rating the entire PSN store mature because of resident evil