Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Make more hamsters or less hamsters pick one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

fit em all up in there posted:

I let them go when I get their photo.

Make DLC to let us have more villagers
Assuming you can put one villager per square, and not an arbitrary cap before that kicks in, you should be able to have an extra 49 characters now!

But also yes I'm still annoyed that they chose 10 as a villager cap. Surely it has nothing to do with island size, as you can have eight player homes on one. The original game let us have 15!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was wondering when we could make full on farmland, I'm going to go nuts.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I've got two villagers left I'm happy to replace (Fang and Vivian). Also a couple of maybes, but at some point soonish I'll finally be getting a second switch and a second island, so then I'll have ten new spots to fill.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

There are villagers I love and will never let go (Bones, Raymond, Marshal), villagers I am clinging to at the moment because I love them but could theoretically let go someday (Mathilda, Reneigh), villagers whose photo I don't have yet (Doc, Robin) and villagers who are perfectly fine but I will sacrifice to a campsite if I have to (bye Annalisa, sorry). And then there's Bob. I don't want Bob. I cannot get Bob to leave. It's very cat of him.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

HopperUK posted:

There are villagers I love and will never let go (Bones, Raymond, Marshal), villagers I am clinging to at the moment because I love them but could theoretically let go someday (Mathilda, Reneigh), villagers whose photo I don't have yet (Doc, Robin) and villagers who are perfectly fine but I will sacrifice to a campsite if I have to (bye Annalisa, sorry). And then there's Bob. I don't want Bob. I cannot get Bob to leave. It's very cat of him.

Start giving him expensive presents and try to really make friends with him. He'll immediately ask to move away.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I haven’t played in months, but will probably get this DLC and play again. I’m hoping that you can invite people to the DLC island from Amiibos. If so, then I’m getting back all our former residents as vacationers.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I have what I refer to as the Trifecta of Permanence: Pinky, Pietro and Canberra. Both Pietro and Canberra moved in from other goons’ islands which is really nice since those goons can come over whenever I open up and visit their old neighbours. Those 3 villagers aren’t going anywhere ever.

I currently have 4 that I’m hanging onto until I get their photos: Lopez, Julia, Bunnie and Tank. Lopez and Julia have been holding out on me for literal months and as soon as they give me their photos I’ll be more than happy to let them go.

I also have Peck, Cyd and Antonio, who have all given me their photos and I’d be okay with letting them leave (maybe not Antonio so much cuz he’s a cute honky boi).

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I've had Fauna on my island forever and will probably keep her as the island mascot forever. She's still in her generic starter home, so I'm excited to finally get the ability to redesign. I've also had Sherb, Erik, and Pekoe for at least a year and Zell was a starter who I let go of for a few months then brought back. Maybe I'll let a few of them migrate to the vacation island.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The only villagers I'll never give up are my OG island colonizers Hazel and Buck. We started together we die together

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

The only villagers I'll never give up are my OG island colonizers Hazel and Buck. We started together we die together

I miss Hazel! She was my OG best friend. If I ever come across her on an island she's coming right back.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Bluebear is the last holdout from my original 10, and I think she was villager #3. But BLUEBEAR. I don’t think I can ever let her or Bones leave.

Stitches just arrived and would have fit in well with my animals-who-are-not-animals theme. Ribbot and Sprocket were great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Bluebear is the last holdout from my original 10, and I think she was villager #3. But BLUEBEAR. I don’t think I can ever let her or Bones leave.

Stitches just arrived and would have fit in well with my animals-who-are-not-animals theme. Ribbot and Sprocket were great.

I had Stitches for a while! I'm not fond of the lazy personality though so I let him go but kept Bones. (keeping Bones forever)

Of course I am about to have three of them. Until I drop Bob off at a nice farm upstate. I'm keeping Doc around for now, he's lovely.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the S tier villagers i have are diana, dotty, olivia, fang, and kidd

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Macaluso posted:

I don't like the implication that you bury multiple bodies in the same spot

Going by the small town cemetery where my grandmother is buried, it's 4 cremations per plot, or one coffin and 2 cremations above it.

Due to the limited space on the island I'm assuming the numbers are even higher.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I stopped playing this game after I took on too big of a project to relocate my boardwalk themed area up to the third level, but i think I got enough of it done when I left off to scrap the boardwalk and instead make a compact area for the rest of the villagers homes, and then have me a big farm area. Might even kick off the fake-players I made. not sold on the dlc yet and im sure as hell not paying for premium nso, so it'd be kind of a temporary dlc anyway. then again, might be all I'd play it for anyway, haven't touch my switch at all in about a year or so.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
So I have barely done anything investment-wise into infrastructure on my island, 75% of it is just trees and natural goodness. I need to hit the turnips hard to get all my home upgrades and bridges and ramps and stuff done.
Once I've done that, is there a site or something usable to design and plan out an island? I don't want to just do something that looks like 1000 hours in mspaint, you know?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Iymarra posted:

So I have barely done anything investment-wise into infrastructure on my island, 75% of it is just trees and natural goodness. I need to hit the turnips hard to get all my home upgrades and bridges and ramps and stuff done.
Once I've done that, is there a site or something usable to design and plan out an island? I don't want to just do something that looks like 1000 hours in mspaint, you know?

I'm actually wanting to do a total renovation of my island once the new DLC stuff is out, so you're not alone in wanting a tool like this!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The one thing I really want is to be able to stick all of the houses and shops and everything in a corner while I do the terraforming. Like everyone lives on a raft for a week so I can meticulously plan out the rivers and the trees and hills and then can I put it all back.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

YggiDee posted:

The one thing I really want is to be able to stick all of the houses and shops and everything in a corner while I do the terraforming. Like everyone lives on a raft for a week so I can meticulously plan out the rivers and the trees and hills and then can I put it all back.
This is why I haven't revamped my island since I did the first major overhaul. What do you mean I have to pay them $60,000 to make their yards better?? They should be paying me, darnit!

Iymarra posted:

https://eugeneration.github.io/HappyIslandDesigner/

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im really hoping the new update/dlc makes it easy to clear out flowers..... they've Spread far too much by now

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Booky posted:

im really hoping the new update/dlc makes it easy to clear out flowers..... they've Spread far too much by now

The only thing you can really do is drag a trash can out to the area you need to clear and just get to digging and trashing. I'd have killed for a weed eater though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Booky posted:

There are a million quality of life improvements they can add, but they won't

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The only thing I can suggest it putting down invisible tiles around flower patches where you don't want them to spread.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

YggiDee posted:

You can put them on the beaches. That's what I did when I remodelled.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Let's be honest I'm going to move everyone into the beaches and then leave them there when I get distracted halfway through terraforming.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Shammypants posted:

My modest proposal is a flamethrower for rapidly cleaning up outside.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Let's be honest I'm going to move everyone into the beaches and then leave them there when I get distracted halfway through terraforming.

:same:

I'm getting back into the flow on my new island, but goddamn it's tough when I don't have a pile of cash from playing the stalk market anymore.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Kiki, stop asking to leave when my own black cat is settled on my lap. :argh:

Neither of you are going anywhere anytime soon. :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shammypants posted:

It's kind of insane they're adding in a kind of WOL feature, but you can only use it on the DLC vacation island (making it easier to do items and paths and stuff outside)

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Shammypants posted:

All of my storage issues could be solved by allowing bigger stacks of materials. Like allowing only 10 Star Fragments in one stack, so I have 3-4 rows of those. One of the feather materials form Pave doesn't even stack. I'm no programmer, but changing Wood from 30 to 99 doesn't seem like it would break anything.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
All I can is I made at least ten grand clearing out flowers. It took FOREVER.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
flowers were a major factor in why my terraforming project wore me out. Already too big of a task compounded by every square of that project already being covered in flowers. Stopped selling em almost after the first trip to store. My kingdom for a pushable lawnmower that totally mulches flowers and weeds.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

carry a trash can around and just dump them

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I just realized with the storage space upgrades, house style offerings, and the plaza on Harv's island, I might have to do the whole turnip thing again. :negative:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oxyclean posted:

I just realized with the storage space upgrades, house style offerings, and the plaza on Harv's island, I might have to do the whole turnip thing again. :negative:

I already started in preparation, my turnip prices this week are not looking good :sigh:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I think I have around 🔔4 million maybe. I have to check. I know that's going to go fast with all of the rearranging, house moving, and bridge/ramp revisions.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Teach the rat people to eat trash ordinance

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

It was easier to get visitors and travel to other islands when the game was new and the goon discord was so full we had multiple people having their gates open at any given time, but it's much slower now so idk what's the best way to hop around to get new DIYs n'stuff :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Macaluso posted:

It's kind of insane they're adding in a kind of WOL feature, but you can only use it on the DLC vacation island (making it easier to do items and paths and stuff outside)

i think the reason for that is that on the islands the surroundings of the house seem to be treated as their own 'rooms;' you have a set plot and can move stuff around in that plot but you can't do anything outside the boundaries -- like on the main island