Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

What made me figure out the instant morph while jumping was just practicing the controls in the room before the Raven Beak fight. I’ve been watching the speedruns, and I’m wondering how these people are so good at the controls already. I’m guessing it might be from being good at 2D Metroid, especially Samus Returns because of the similarities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I dunno who needs to hear this, but you can come out of a somersault instantly by shooting. If you have a shinespark charged up, you can let go of the stick and hit jump to initiate the shinespark. I couldn’t consistently get out of somersaults any other way in this game.

I hooked up my WiiU and discovered I had already bought Fusion and Zero Mission so I played through the former. I managed to get 97% items while using a guide as little as possible (I couldn’t remember how to beat those stupid gold Zebesians!) and then grabbed the remaining few items before beating it again. I managed to do it in under four hours which wasn’t too bad. I’ve definitely done 100% in under two before but I’m feeling a little burnt out so I probably won’t try that right away. I will say that I loving hate that one room where you have to precisely space jump above a bunch of collapsing blocks to get two different power ups. I’d take a shinespark puzzle over that any day of the week!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
can't wait for the dlc to delete all the chozo minibosses, both kinds

they're not even that hard I just make mistakes trying to rush through it because I've done this three other times

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Oh yeah. I knew that. I used it for a couple of items.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Are you supposed to get a certain upgrade to climb the tall morph ball tunnel on the way to the Twin Robot Chozo Soldier fight in Burenia? I’m struggling with the fight, but even more so with the infinite bomb jump I seemingly have to do to get in every time I die. I don’t really want to leave and come back because it was pretty tricky to get up here…

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Zoran posted:

Are you supposed to get a certain upgrade to climb the tall morph ball tunnel on the way to the Twin Robot Chozo Soldier fight in Burenia? I’m struggling with the fight, but even more so with the infinite bomb jump I seemingly have to do to get in every time I die. I don’t really want to leave and come back because it was pretty tricky to get up here…

Did you sequence break to get there? You should never have to do an infinite bomb jump in the normal progression of the game. Space jump allows you to climb that shaft, and you should have it by that point in the game, and IIRC you have to have already gotten screw attack to be there in that shaft in the first place due to the blocks lower down, which is way out of order if you don't have space jump. You should have space jump by that point if you don't.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 18, 2021

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Final boss has way too many hit points.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ROJO posted:

Did you sequence break to get there? You should never have to do an infinite bomb jump in the normal progression of the game. Space jump allows you to climb that shaft, and you should have it by that point in the game, and IIRC you have to have already gotten screw attack to be there in that shaft in the first place due to the blocks lower down, which is way out of order if you don't have space jump. You should have space jump by that point if you don't.

I used shinespark + screw attack to climb up there

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Zoran posted:

If you don't have space jump, but you do have gravity suit, then you should be heading up to Dairon instead to head up to your destination, because that path explicitly intends for you to just space jump all the way up there to be able to wrap around back to the green teleportal.

XavierGenisi fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 18, 2021

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Zoran posted:

You're on the correct path for the route you've taken, and yes you do need to infinite bomb jump up once you've reached the top.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Zoran posted:

If you have cross bombs, just use those. Just spam them. The cooldown on the bomb works out so that you'll always drop them in a place that will increase your height on the next explosion.
It's infinite bomb jumping by hammering the button.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I will say that I loving hate that one room where you have to precisely space jump above a bunch of collapsing blocks to get two different power ups. I’d take a shinespark puzzle over that any day of the week!

I have no idea what room you mean. I'm at the last boss, collected 100% of the pick ups, and never got the space jump

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

HenryEx posted:

I have no idea what room you mean. I'm at the last boss, collected 100% of the pick ups, and never got the space jump

In Fusion? You literally can’t beat Fusion without getting the space jump, you get it from the spider boss. The room is in Sector 2 iirc.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In Fusion? You literally can’t beat Fusion without getting the space jump, you get it from the spider boss. The room is in Sector 2 iirc.

Oh I know what room you're talking about, yeah that one's awful. That was so annoying to get through.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Crumble City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMxtf2Ur13I

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fusion's Screw Attack re-enables single wall jumps!? :psyboom:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Human Crouton posted:

Final boss has way too many hit points.

he needs more imo, I want to fight him forever

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Araxxor posted:

Fusion's Screw Attack re-enables single wall jumps!? :psyboom:

EDIT: oh wait wow that’s actually really cool

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Eopia posted:

You're on the correct path for the route you've taken, and yes you do need to infinite bomb jump up once you've reached the top.

Yeah, it's not too bad. I, on the other hand, missed picking up the spin jump on my hard mode run (let me tell you, Z-57 was a bitch) so I am gonna have to go up the normal way and get space jump. Sitting at 2:38 right now and need the space jump, cross bombs, storm missiles, power bombs, and wave beam, so I may not finish in time.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Z-57 was enough of a pain when I got there without the space jump, I don’t want to think about doing it without the spin jump :gonk:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1450085703254216705

Imagining a game where Samus is constantly making quips during gameplay like it's a Naughty Dog Production.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's weird because this game is by far the most Samus has ever emoted before (unless she cries in Other M or something idk I don't remember that poo poo).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

stev posted:

It's weird because this game is by far the most Samus has ever emoted before (unless she cries in Other M or something idk I don't remember that poo poo).

Oh she emotes plenty in Other M...and it's all terrible. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Imagining a game where Samus is constantly making quips during gameplay like it's a Naughty Dog Production.

author literally wrote “she should smile more”

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
guess someone didn't beat the boss where she just casually blasts a switch without looking while walking away after defeating it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That article is hilarious because it seems to completely miss the mark on what style of storytelling Dread is trying to accomplish. Low dialogue, all action is exactly why this iteration of Samus is one of the best, if not THE best.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I hear she emotes more on emulators :v:

e: seriously, between Kotaku stepping on rakes repeatedly, David Jaffe revealing he doesn't know how level design works, and that one goon who got "does Nintendo do refunds" mad because they didn't know how to jump on the first screen, Metroid Dread has been a magnet for hilarious hot takes

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 18, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's also like plenty of non-verbal expression in the game? Do they need everything spelled out for them? Like just look at the Kraid intro scene where the two of them basically go "Oh, it's you." Before resuming the attempts to murder each other.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The one thing that was wrong with Metroid Prime was Samus acquiring the Morph Ball and not going "it's time to roll out" before doing a sweet kickflip off the top of the halfpipe.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SettingSun posted:

That article is hilarious because it seems to completely miss the mark on what style of storytelling Dread is trying to accomplish. Low dialogue, all action is exactly why this iteration of Samus is one of the best, if not THE best.

what's funny is that some of the stories about development issues, depending on how much credence you give them, give the idea of this originally being a much more story heavy game lol

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Samus' body language is great, like the scene when she does that badass flip through the boss monster's tail. And the spring in her steps up to the elevator.

But she doesn't hop out afterwards and say "Oh boy, here I go killing again!" So it's a 4/10

:jerkbag:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

sadly the entirety of other m is burned into my brain which is why i can't stop talking about it and let me tell you

when samus meets ridley she is figuratively but also literally transformed into a sobbing toddler

that game is not subtle let me tell you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"I have to kill fast and speed boost too slow", Metroid shouted from the top of lung

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I hope this is just trolling for negative attention clicks because dear god this is a stupid take

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Kotaku making clickbait articles about a new game? Nobody could have predicted this

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The author really tries to push the point that it's odd but I just assumed that it's understandable Samus isn't stunned by seeing Chozo popping up anymore after she lived with them for decades. Especially if we're including the Prime games she's also been cleaning up messes they've been involved in to various degrees, even if they didn't start any of the messes themselves in that trilogy, she was still cleaning up poo poo they left behind.

Like maybe if you want you can complain that the Chozo in general just aren't a mystery anymore. They haven't since like 2002/2004 game-wise. They ceased having a Space Jockey-esque mystique about them a long-rear end time ago.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

RBA Starblade posted:

"I have to kill fast and speed boost too slow", Metroid shouted from the top of lung

“No Samus, you are the Metro-“ wait a minute…

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Perhaps now we can finally get an answer to the age-old question of why Metroid can't crawl.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Alright, guess it's time to go for sub 4s

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orange Crush Rush posted:

“No Samus, you are the Metro-“ wait a minute…

It's time to do what has to be done by metroid and live up to my bird family's name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

looking forward to every 2d metroid game getting remade in this engine. i'll gladly cough up my 80 CAD for each and every one.

God yes do this please. Just start at the beginning and work your way up.