Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So just beat the game. I will say its easily the best game in the series since 3 overall. Better cast, better "feel", setting, all that, plus all the gameplay tweaks along the way.

Only complaint is Castillo himself, I think he's the weakest villain in the franchise.

spoilers on the ending I guess

So after all this stuff with him and Diego, I was expecting a hook, like, anything. Like a "see it from my perspective" or something to change how he looks other than an insane slaver tyrant but no, he's really nothing more than what he is presented as. Yeah he's sick and all but that doesn't really add any credence to his plans or his actions.

All the build up on Diego as well, I thought maybe you'd hand the reigns to him or smuggle him away, but no Castillo just shoots him dead before he cuts his own throat and the whole ending just became totally toothless. All the build up on the character for literally nothing. Compound that with the fact they wanted an ending that didn't interfere with running around the open world after the fact, its effectively established that yeah you killed him, but nothing is really gonna change, oh well.

Other than that, I overall very much had a fun and positive experience with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just got my Ubisoft account working and now have access to those black ops missions. What exactly are they?

They're just standalone missions that earn you moneda which can be spent to acquire unique weapons in the black market store.

Designed as challenging, repeatable endgame content I think but they're perfectly doable on easier difficulties at lower levels.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Designed for co-op but can be played SP.
I thought the gimmick was fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Evil Canadian posted:

So just beat the game. I will say its easily the best game in the series since 3 overall. Better cast, better "feel", setting, all that, plus all the gameplay tweaks along the way.

Only complaint is Castillo himself, I think he's the weakest villain in the franchise.

spoilers on the ending I guess

So after all this stuff with him and Diego, I was expecting a hook, like, anything. Like a "see it from my perspective" or something to change how he looks other than an insane slaver tyrant but no, he's really nothing more than what he is presented as. Yeah he's sick and all but that doesn't really add any credence to his plans or his actions.

All the build up on Diego as well, I thought maybe you'd hand the reigns to him or smuggle him away, but no Castillo just shoots him dead before he cuts his own throat and the whole ending just became totally toothless. All the build up on the character for literally nothing. Compound that with the fact they wanted an ending that didn't interfere with running around the open world after the fact, its effectively established that yeah you killed him, but nothing is really gonna change, oh well.

Other than that, I overall very much had a fun and positive experience with the game.

yeah and no. i like that Castillo is just a hosed up fascist rear end in a top hat who is super broken person and they play that straight. i feel like if they tried to make him secretly likable or have an actual point, it would just backfire.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Does FidelityFX Super Res do anything on Nvidia cards? I have mine on Ultra Quality and the in game benchmark shows virtually no difference.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Does FidelityFX Super Res do anything on Nvidia cards? I have mine on Ultra Quality and the in game benchmark shows virtually no difference.

What card, and at what output resolution? Nvidia cards see slightly less benefit due to having less FP16 performance than AMD cards or something like that, but the only reason I can think of for seeing no performance gain is if you’re cpu bottlenecked, which is common in this game due to how poorly multithreaded it is.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What card, and at what output resolution? Nvidia cards see slightly less benefit due to having less FP16 performance than AMD cards or something like that, but the only reason I can think of for seeing no performance gain is if you’re cpu bottlenecked, which is common in this game due to how poorly multithreaded it is.

3080 + R7 8700X @ 1440p.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

3080 + R7 8700X @ 1440p.

You mean 3700X, I assume. And yeah, that looks about right. If you turn down the resolution scale, you’d probably see very little gain from that, too. This game engine likes to hit one core of the cpu hard, and everything else has to slow down to match it. The 3080 should be doing well over 60 anyway. I would just turn on CAS instead and forget about trying to get even higher frame rates with FSR.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how this is a country, and Castillo is the "legitimate" ruler, so you have boot lickers that are not on your side as NPCs, especially if you're close to the capital you'll hear civilians going "You belong in an outcast camp!" and "I can't wait for Paradise, i wonder what it will be like".

I didn't play FC4 so I don't know if people thought Pagan was a cool dude, but I know in 3 and 5 there weren't people praising the villains, probably because in those the villains where more criminals than anything.

Also, I was wondering what people were saying when they said "Conyo" or something like that, and i asked around and someone who knew spanish said "oh you mean Cono(with one of those squiggles above the N), that means poo poo" which makes sense in all the contexts. I know almost no spanish, so that was a lesson.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I have an issue where I crash with the game whenever I watch cutscenes. I really enjoy the setting, the characters are mostly good, and so on. But man I really question why they did away with the skill trees? Feels like we should have had skill tree, and then gear on top of it.

I do think this is the best far cry since 3 in terms of location and feeling but it's definitely old hat at this point. They should sit on the series for a bit or actually do something interesting. It's essentially same engine, same game since Far Cry 3 at this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How do you get the upgradable camps in the other provinces? I only have the one in Madrugada unlocked. I only have the shop and the scout unlocked, but i'd like to get some of the others.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You should have a mission to go talk to each of the groups. Finishing the first mission in each chain unlocks that camp.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Lone Badger posted:

You should have a mission to go talk to each of the groups. Finishing the first mission in each chain unlocks that camp.

Ah cool. I though i might just be able to go there.

The marksman helmet is amazing, refunds any headshots, so you basically can never run out of sniper ammo or any really if you're a good enough shot.

God dammit, I hate those cut scenes where if you were actually in control, things would have been fine, but nope. i know it is for story, but i never like just doing something you could have done outside the cut scene.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 18, 2021

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

There's actually a strong bug with the marksman bandana and single action firearms. If you have a full magazine and get a headshot kill when it refunds the round it also skips the cycling animation. It only works with a full magazine so if you don't miss you can just fire as fast as you can click heads. Pretty goofy with the MBP .50 or M1887

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sounds like it would be very good for the Clavadora.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I was bleeding out on the ground at an enemy checkpoint with maybe one or two enemies left to go, screen starts to turn white and I suddenly stand up and cut to scene where the checkpoint is conquered. Lol guerrilas came through for the win!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BurritoJustice posted:

There's actually a strong bug with the marksman bandana and single action firearms. If you have a full magazine and get a headshot kill when it refunds the round it also skips the cycling animation. It only works with a full magazine so if you don't miss you can just fire as fast as you can click heads. Pretty goofy with the MBP .50 or M1887

That's pretty funny. But I don't want to drop my SKV. I was disappointed I couldn't put a silencer on the PPSH, go full soviet war fighter with the AKM to round out the 3 weapons.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I was bleeding out on the ground at an enemy checkpoint with maybe one or two enemies left to go, screen starts to turn white and I suddenly stand up and cut to scene where the checkpoint is conquered. Lol guerrilas came through for the win!

Yea I noticed they're actually pretty effective. Once i was just trying to reload and they took the ambush without my help.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BTW if you haven't tried poison bullets yet, you really should. One shot to the body pretty much puts the enemy out of commission, and they'll die eventually.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Once they actually revived me. One of them was a medic and instead of just dying I hit the ground with a meter for bleeding out and the medic ran over and got me back up. It was at a checkpoint, and it's only happened that one time.

If you upgrade them all the way they pretty seriously gently caress stuff up. They are taking out tanks with little problem for me now.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I haven’t tried poison rounds but I love mag dumping an entire magazine of incendiary ammo from an smg into the cabin of an enemy truck. Absolutely brutal.

Speaking of Dani’s past. I wandered all the way up to the northern tip of the central middle third of the map. There’s sb enemy base there called Yaran Special Forced Acadamy. When Dani radios Clara to discuss it, Dani remarks about how she remembers training there. So yeah I guess she was some sort of devgru dropout.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC she dropped out of the army for beating up her instructor. That's why they're already looking for her by name in the tutorial.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think they made the right choice by turning Dani into an actual character for FC6. While these games have been historically defined by their villains, it gets tiresome to be hauling around a mute blanket for the other 90% of the campaign while everyone else awkwardly monologues at you. It's not exactly high art but I actually care about Dani and want her to succeed, which is more than I can say about Jason from FC3 or... whoever the other protagonists were I forget lol. I think the switch to 3rd person in the guerreeeeeeeya camps and for cinematics was also a positive change.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exquisite tea posted:

I think they made the right choice by turning Dani into an actual character for FC6. While these games have been historically defined by their villains, it gets tiresome to be hauling around a mute blanket for the other 90% of the campaign while everyone else awkwardly monologues at you. It's not exactly high art but I actually care about Dani and want her to succeed, which is more than I can say about Jason from FC3 or... whoever the other protagonists were I forget lol. I think the switch to 3rd person in the guerreeeeeeeya camps and for cinematics was also a positive change.

Yeah Dani is fun. Poor orphan kid who dropped out of probable spec ops training before their call to action and has some actual good motivations and moments. They are world weary but not cynical and also not dumb as a rock for once.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

All the markers for the race missions have completely disappeared off my map and won't come back. Anyone had this problem?

Edit: welp an hour later they randomly came back

Edit2: derp it turns out i wasn't zoomed in enough

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 18, 2021

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

So is everyone picking female Dani? Is she just the best?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

male dani's pretty cool too. they both kinda rock

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

So is everyone picking female Dani? Is she just the best?

pretty sure male Dani was an afterthought to appease the Gamers who don't want to play a female protagonist. the trailers were all female Dani.

it's similar to what Ubisoft did with FC5 by making the Montana-based militant semi christian death cult not white supremacists after seeing all the "is this game making conservatives the villains?" commentary that got posted after early trailers

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't think there's as big a gulf between choices as there was in AC: Odyssey where Kassandra was witty and funny and Alexios was.. not.. Both VA's seem fine here but I'm playing with a female Dani because it does sort of feel like the canonical choice for some reason. I knew I made the right choice when I got the livin la vida loca singalong the first time I stepped into a car.

Edit: This game has gotten me to reinstall Tropico 6

explosivo fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 18, 2021

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I went with male Dani because watching someone's stream and the outfits on female Dani didn't look as cool. But this time round it doesn't seem as clear cut like Mass Effect and AC Odyssey were.
Also just let us change genders at will if it doesn't effect gameplay/story :colbert:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Female Dani is canon and superior but Male Dani isn't that bad.

I've been doing coop with my friend who is playing Male Dani and there is a unique singing duet they do together while driving in the car that is very cute. :3:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Been playing for a couple of evenings, and... it hasn't quite clicked for me yet? I think it's because the guns feel 'sloppy', for want of a better word, compared to previous games. (4 was the last I played.) Dani seems to be holding them at arm's length for ADS, and it makes it hard to aim accurately.

I'm still loving about on Tutorial Island, though, so maybe better guns turn up later.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins
It's extremely funny that considering how much effort they put into making Viviro a wonder cancer cure that is allowing this tiny island nation to force the rest of the world to a moral reckoning with a brutal dictator but actually doesn't work on the special cool magic cancer Giancarlo Esposito has. you couldn't think of one other disease people can have? one other definitive metaphor for interior corruption mirroring exterior malevolence? Nothing? Not one thing? Also I wonder if they were going to do a viviro=marijuana parallel like they did with opium and Bliss and... well, marijuana in previous games and decided it's too risky.

This game ran out of steam for me very badly somewhere after Madrugada, which i did first.. A lot of the later game revelations felt extremely coercive, trying very hard to wring pathos and twists out of characters and scenarios that are pretty wildly contrived in the first place. It also has that same FC5 mealy mouthed inability to stake a political stance more complicated than 'it's bad to melt people in an industrial foundry, and also no one here cares about this enough to remark on it except for the bad people who think it's super fun to display evidence of war crimes in their garden parties.'

It's a shame. I was having a great time with it for awhile and Dani really carries this game on their shoulders. Tone oscillates wildly between lisa frank murder party in the jungle and 'the human cost of this regime is incalculable'. It's a game that's made with tremendous amounts of work, vision, and ambition on the technical side but narratively is terminally compromised.

Also, the cities being essentially empty was a bummer. I know the in universe excuse is lockdown but i would have loved to see crowds and riots and a feel for the people. But maybe the engine just cannot handle that.

At least they took out the fun wacky cia guy (except for one note that mentions him I think).

I did love Ocuso at least. I guess I'll see what comes of the DLCs but after FC5 I'm not necessarily optimistic.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Payndz posted:

Been playing for a couple of evenings, and... it hasn't quite clicked for me yet? I think it's because the guns feel 'sloppy', for want of a better word, compared to previous games. (4 was the last I played.) Dani seems to be holding them at arm's length for ADS, and it makes it hard to aim accurately.

I'm still loving about on Tutorial Island, though, so maybe better guns turn up later.

There are better guns, and mods go a long way. Throw armor piercing ammo and a compensator on everything.

I got the full parkour set and I almost never switch off of that. Running forever, fast, sure beats calling for my car and waiting for the driver to take his sweet rear end time getting out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wear the marksman helm and pants, parkour kicks, doctor gloves and I forgot what shirt. The Fuego gloves are nice too because they basically make you immune to fire.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

Honestly feel like the first four hours of gameplay are the hardest. Once you start getting better guns, able to customize them, etc., everything changes. Also if you do the Triada Blessings treasure hunts early you will get some things that make your life way way easier.

bluetail
Jul 8, 2012
I'm starting to really appreciate the fact that you don't have to walk over and loot every body like in previous games, I think deathloop does a similarly good job of de-emphasizing looting bodies cause it turns out spending half the game looking down at the ground isn't actually that fun

I do kinda miss picking up enemy guns cause it adds to the "improvise and adapt" feel but I still prefer the way FC6 does it cause the ground isn't littered with extra bullshit to distract you

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

I don't think there's as big a gulf between choices as there was in AC: Odyssey where Kassandra was witty and funny and Alexios was.. not.. Both VA's seem fine here but I'm playing with a female Dani because it does sort of feel like the canonical choice for some reason. I knew I made the right choice when I got the livin la vida loca singalong the first time I stepped into a car.

Edit: This game has gotten me to reinstall Tropico 6

Both had the exact same lines, they were exactly equally witty and funny. But Alexios has the better voice actor, in Odyssey the male choice is the preferred one. Though neither performance is outstanding, which isn't surprising considering the absurd length of the game.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I think you're the only person I've ever seen say that about Odyssey

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

thiccabod posted:

Far Cry 6: Game's dope. Best one in a while, for sure. I agree that it really needs to add loadouts though.

Kinda sorta Far Cry-adjacent: the newly released remasters of Crysis 2 and 3 are currently 30% off on the US playstation store ($20.99 each instead of $29.99).

drat that's spot on. I would love loadouts for different kinds of situations. Mucking about in the menus is not a great time

Captain Duvel posted:

You have to jump on top of it and gives you the option, R3. Very short window imo and most the time it doesn't seem to pop up for me

That hasn't ever worked for me for some reason. Maybe I'm not being quick enough I guess but I think I might give smoke a try because I've heard that actually forces the crew out somehow.

Anyways to deal with helicopters I think I found the best thing. I outfitted my best bow and arrow with the most long distance scope with EMP arrows. A single hit and the helicopter will go down. Now, they can and do actually land the helicopter, which kinda of sucks, although it's generally pretty easy to just run up and kill everyone inside and now it's your helicopter that you can take up and kill everyone else pretty easily. Best way by far and I find it a lot easier to aim than the grenade launchers and flies faster.

Also, for armor: the pants that automatically fix any vehicle you are driving are so loving good. It nearly makes you invincible in any vehicle unless you're taking tank shells. That and the face covering which allows you to machete kill any enemy in any situation, those two pieces of gear are insanely overpowered and I don't think they are even 4 star. All the best gear doesn't protect you from stuff imo, the game is already easy enough in that way, but gives you new abilities.

The Lone Badger posted:

At the very start of the game your heal has two charges. It never seems to recharge above one. Is there any way to get back to 'full'?

There's armor and Supremo upgrade slots that can do that.

jabro posted:

I was starting to get tired of the Far Cry Formula™ and about to bounce off this game then El Tigre and Jonrón died. gently caress no.

Antón and every soldier will pay for this. If a civilian is sympathetic to the regime they are burning.

Yeah that sucked, and that was my favorite storyline by far too. El Tigre is a great character.

I do kind of have a complaint about the segment finishing missions. They're not hard enough or involved enough. Killing Benitez was the only one so far that was actually a decent challenge. McKay was piss easy and Jose Fernandez or whatever his name is was piss easy (as easy as shooting down a helicopter, basically). I did both of those two in the space of about twenty minutes and wasn't challenged the whole time. Thankfully I've still got three left, hopefully they get better

Combat Pretzel posted:

I love how condescending some of the rando guerillias are. "Uuuuuh look a guerilla!", "You better be ready to fight" and poo poo like that, while I'm practically running the show.

They start saying different things as your guerilla level rises.

But yeah, they can be some real ungrateful pricks. What the gently caress have you assholes been doing? Walking aimlessly back and forth down the same loving trail over and over? Please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

bluetail posted:

I'm starting to really appreciate the fact that you don't have to walk over and loot every body like in previous games, I think deathloop does a similarly good job of de-emphasizing looting bodies cause it turns out spending half the game looking down at the ground isn't actually that fun

I do kinda miss picking up enemy guns cause it adds to the "improvise and adapt" feel but I still prefer the way FC6 does it cause the ground isn't littered with extra bullshit to distract you

It still encourages you to spend way too much time picking up the dozen fuel canisters and spools of wire littered across every base, though.