Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think what hurt armors the most in the 3DS games was the lack of warp. Being able to position your units wherever you need them means movement matters less and armors were easier to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

Uh, no, I would actually take a bad joke 1000% of the time over "hey player, it's not technically pedophilia *wink wink nudge nudge*"

Shoot, I would take an empty text field over that.

Also the whole 'she's your sister' thing.

I find it baffling that so many of the first gen in this game are Corrin's siblings, and that they're so good, because it kind of gives me the feeling that IntSys actively wanted you to press the technically-not-incest button.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Eh, they're good in isolation but not great genetics wise outside of a busted Ophelia. Camilla's the only interesting one of the lot and that's only because Wyvern.

Like I could not think of one kid where Sakura is a remotely optimal mother other than maaaaybe Mitama or a Flame Shuriken Asugi?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, they're good in isolation but not great genetics wise outside of a busted Ophelia. Camilla's the only interesting one of the lot and that's only because Wyvern.

Like I could not think of one kid where Sakura is a remotely optimal mother other than maaaaybe Mitama or a Flame Shuriken Asugi?

Even then I think a +Magic Corrin or Orochi is better.

There's also the whole thing about who Corrin actually is and who he's related to but you have to read a synopsis of Revelation to understand all of that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Walla posted:

There's also the whole thing about who Corrin actually is and who he's related to but you have to read a synopsis of Revelation to understand all of that.

Their mother divorced the king of evil dragon land and married a tyrant divorced him and married a glorious nippon samurai. Along the way she ditched one of her kids and then had her kidnapped back when the tyrant kidnapped the other kid.

See it's simple and totally makes sense!

*I'm totally pulling this from what I remember from playing revelations once, years ago. It's probably not accurate and likely makes more sense than what intsys published*

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

FoolyCharged posted:

Uh, no, I would actually take a bad joke 1000% of the time over "hey player, it's not technically pedophilia *wink wink nudge nudge*"

Shoot, I would take an empty text field over that.

What? No, the only thing I'm complaining about here is the Saizo and Beruka thing. Like I said that's THE ONLY issue I have with the localization.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

Their mother divorced the king of evil dragon land and married a tyrant divorced him and married a glorious nippon samurai. Along the way she ditched one of her kids and then had her kidnapped back when the tyrant kidnapped the other kid.

See it's simple and totally makes sense!

*I'm totally pulling this from what I remember from playing revelations once, years ago. It's probably not accurate and likely makes more sense than what intsys published*

Close, actually. I don't remember Mikoto ever marrying Garon, but she did run away from evil dragon king with Corrin and married glorious nippon samurai. Her sister won the concubine wars and married Garon, but she brought Azura from a previous marriage as well. I don't think we ever learn who her father actually is.

Corrin's only sibling in the game is loving Lilith if I remember the DLC correctly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Ah, I mostly just remembered that after 5 million supports of "no really, here's why it's technically not incest" they just randomly dropped that corrin and azura shared blood and let them boink without any of that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
alright less incest more

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Walla posted:

Orochi has her own flaws (aside from needing to play Revelation, which is its own flaw), mainly that she kinda kills speed. Ophelia can take the hit okay, but otherwise Elise!Ophelia does the job pretty much as well and really who else are you gonna give Elise to, Dwyer?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

Orochi has her own flaws (aside from needing to play Revelation, which is its own flaw), mainly that she kinda kills speed. Ophelia can take the hit okay, but otherwise Elise!Ophelia does the job pretty much as well and really who else are you gonna give Elise to, Dwyer?

I was responding to the part of your post about Sakura and the Birthright kids.

Though Elise as Dwyer's mom means he might possibly be useable in a magic class.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Jacob really should have named him disappointment. At least that way the player would get some warning

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mandatory:

Smiling Knight posted:

Greek armies always included skirmishers and often light cavalry. For example, Xenophon's 10,000 had a couple thousand peltasts, archers, and unspecified light infantry. During the Peloponnesian War, the Sicilian Expedition's initial wave was (Wikipedia) ~5000 hoplites and ~1500 skirmishers/light infantry. And they clearly perceived that their lack of horses was a problem, because the first reinforcement wave was ~600 cavalry. Their opponents fielded ~5000 hoplites and ~1200 cavalry.

The Macedonians had heavy cavalry, which played a key role in their defeat of the Greek city-states (ancient authors credit victory at Crocus Field and Chaeronea to the Macedonian horse).

Swordsmen are quite mediocre in Age of Empires 2; they're rarely ever used in competitive play because anything ranged can kite them and anything mounted can just ride away. They'll come into play as a counter to other niche melee units, like eagle warriors or huscarls. Not dissimilar to the problems faced by Fire Emblem knights! If you're slow pushing with siege, and can force engagements (which I do think you've hit on as the ability heavy infantry need to be good in games), the usual partner is not swordsmen but spearmen, who are much cheaper and do better against cavalry, the natural predator of your expensive siege engines.

The best solution to the FE Knight Problem is a) give them the same movement as other infantry and b) design maps so that movement is not king. Not every map needs to be a Defend X turns, but I think experimentation with multi-front maps, where you can defend on one side while pushing on the other, would do wonders for knight viability. This is a situation where you would want to deploy a unit with less killing power but who can survive on their own longer. Another way to give value to knights is kinda what happens on 3H Maddening, where certain enemies (cough pegasus knights cough) have enough attack and speed to double and kill even otherwise durable physical units, and enough movement to initiate combat. Then there is a need for something with comically high amounts of defense to lure them out.

I recommend reading Soldiers and Ghosts - Lendon talks about changes in the Greek style of warfare and how the Greeks went through periods of flourishing and collapse in their ability/willingness to use combined arms. The Peloppenesian War is interesting as a point of discussion because at the start of the war, the Spartans lacked any archers and their "cavalry" fought dismounted - the use of both of those arms of military had to be redeveloped as the war wore on. The real battle for light infantry success in the Greeks is Lechaeum, where the Spartan phalanx got utterly bodied by Athenian peltasts.

Fair point about the champions, I've been out of the scene for a long time and I was really an archers+camels guy (also, never actually good at AOE2). I was more thinking about Huscarls than swordsmen but figured that would be too much texture/weirdness. And in fairness to the modeling of AOE2, spearmen are more similar to historical heavy infantry than the swordsmen line! Large blocks of disposable, primarily sword armed infantry feels very odd to me.

But yeah I think we're both largely on the same point, which is that the thing that makes a given unit type in a game compelling is that it meaningfully contributes to successfully completing objectives. And as mentioned it's kind of confusing what role sluggish defensive infantry play in most FE maps - which is at least as much a matter of scenario design as anything else.

megane posted:

In particular, being tough and slow is always going to be trumped by being tough and fast, and FE hands you wyvern riders and cavaliers and so on who are roughly as tough as knights while being literally twice as fast. And usually hitting harder. Not to mention that hitting hard and having good Speed indirectly keeps you alive by giving you one-round kills, so fast, aggressive units are often harder to kill than "defensive" ones in practice. If you want slow units to be good, the fast units need to have some downside, whether that's cost or fragility or offense or whatever.

Good points and I think it kind of points to a major flaw in my thinking. My mind goes to historical non-fiction first, especially of eras that I'm familiar with, because I am a big nerd who likes non-fiction and seeing how games try to model history. But there's really no reason for a game to be modeling 1) history 2) my particular understanding of history. Fire Emblem I think is less invested in anything similar to what I think of as historical warfare than it is to mythological warfare, with fleet-footed Achilles being a singular hero who runs around the battlefield cutting people down face-to-face. Which is pretty valid especially if you really want people to think of your story as about named units rather than largely anonymous armies.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

theshim posted:

Huh, I always do that map by flooding the second layer for proper chokepoints. Does make the fliers a little more obnoxious to deal with, I guess.
I think I did the chapter at the point in the game where it was easiest which meant I didn't need to. I do usually take that approach, I just didn't really have to this time.

rannum posted:

I noticed that enemy Lloyd & Llewyn have S Rank axes.

Do those carry over if you capture them, or do they reset to some lower base? I caputred a lto of boss enemies for...well collection purposes really, but never paid much attention to their ranks
They do! The only thing besides weapons captured units don't get to keep are enemy only skills like Inevitable End. All generics (aside from that one samurai azura fights in chapter 9) in lunatic come with the maximum possible weapon ranks for their class which is part of why they're so nice to capture.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

That was all Nosferatu being super good!
I think it's fair to say Odin's only good because of Nosferatu, but Nosferatu is so good that it justifies calling Odin good. Unless you give Corrin a Dark Mage talent he's the best candidate for it until either Ophelia or Leo show up, and the latter still requires a reclass.

FoolyCharged posted:

Ah, I mostly just remembered that after 5 million supports of "no really, here's why it's technically not incest" they just randomly dropped that corrin and azura shared blood and let them boink without any of that.
I think there's some Japan-only supplementary material that retcons the relation between Corrin & Azura? A line that says their mothers were "as close as sisters", rather than actually sisters like Revelation states.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Time to head to Cheve. Both Birthright and Conquest have you heading here in Chapter 13, but on different sides...

Time to quell an uprising! An uprising I don't feel particularly good about quelling. This chapter is the start of Corrin's "maybe Garon is completely and utterly irredeemable" realisation, something they realise much earlier in Birthright...

This is a rout map in both routes, but in Conquest it's a lot trickier... There's 4 bosses to fight, and 4 villages to save. Scarlet, the boss, is leading the Nohrians, while 3 Hoshidan commanders lead their own groups of fighters to aid in the resistance.

What's interesting is that this map doesn't have any dragon veins unlike its BR counterpart. You'd think Conquest would love to complicate things more, but apparently not always!

Here is Scarlet. Defeating her doesn't do anything special, but aggroing her squad will spawn in a large number of reinforcements, meaning you'll not want to approach her until you know you can handle them.

She comes with Death Blow, which works differently in this game. It gives her 20 extra crit, a high enough value that means she's pretty much always going to have a crit chance against whoever she attacks. She's also got Bowbreaker to make bows much less accurate against her, and Seal Magic to annoy your mages. Lastly, her personal skill gives her yet another crit boost when she's on low health. She's a bit scary.

Here are the three Hoshidans supporting the revolution. Every single one will stay put until you enter their range, at which point the whole squad will aggro. Reina and her squad of Cavaliers hold the middle of the map and make reaching the villages much harder, Orochi and her mages hold the left, and Takumi and his Knights hold the right.

These two units are the only obvious lunatic mode differences that come to mind. They're both there to make it slightly harder to tank the Diviners with a high-rest unit and the Knights with a high-def one respectively.

Oh and these jerks will fly up to harass you as soon as the map starts. There's four of them and they're hard to kill quickly, they suck.

These are the four villages to visit. They're not in any immediate danger, but they are a small incentive to not turtle.

Harsh deployment limits mean Arthur and Nyx can't come. There's a very important thing that I need Kaze for...

Incidentally, this important thing also involves giving Camilla 3 different tonics, HP speed and defense. Although it turned out she didn't actually need the speed one.

Camilla waits in this very specific spot, and Azura dances her...

...so Camilla can reach Reina on turn 1! She can only do this with a partner who increases her movement.

These odds, as you can see, are not very good. Reina's Air Superiority skill and naturally high avoid make this a risky move to pull... Or they would if this were not the first thing I do in the map. If this doesn't work I can reset at no cost. Maybe it's a bit cheaty, but it makes the map a lot easier! Otherwise the way I'd have to deal with Reina is to stick a unit in range of her and multiple of her Cavaliers, all of which have Elbow Room and strong attack. Camilla can't tank them because Reina's got a bow and will easily one-shot her.

If this were an ironman then instead I'd probably resort to giving Corrin a load of defensive tonics and pairing her up with a Knight to lure the group over. Doing this does feel a little bit cheaty, but oh well. It's an effective strategy!

Eyes? I don't even know if Camilla has more than one. This happened first try, luckily enough. If you want to make this more reliable you can give Camilla a skill or luck tonic, but the cost isn't worth it when you can just reset until you get lucky.

Unfortunately the trial isn't over yet. Camilla is now in the range of a lot of units, including Orochi. Thankfully Orochi's weapon triangle reversing magic spell works against her here... Still though, this is what she needs the defensive tonics for. Even with all that bulk things can go wrong for her if she refuses to dodge any of these attacks on enemy phase!

On the right, Odin spares me the danger of having to use my brain to solve a problem. Nyx or no, he can easily tank with Elise's help.

On the left, Niles defaults to his standard role of mage killer. Even as an Archer he'll do okay.

It's true, I should. That's a decent amount of damage! And thanks to Seal Resistance it'll be an even more decent amount on subsequent turns...

Thankfully she's got to actually hit with it to hurt with it.

Niles's resistance or speed aren't quite what they used to be...

Okay fine level up like you're still an Outlaw I don't care. Camilla can also level up like she's an Outlaw...

Kaze keeps getting good levels but I still worry about his resistance. He's refusing to get it much like how Silas refuses to get defense.

The middle of the map is now quite a bit emptier. Most of the cavs wiped themselves out against Camilla.

Aggroing Orochi means I've aggro'd her whole squad, which means I either need to run away from them or take them all out. That might be annoying, there's quite a lot of them...

The rest of my army is off on this side. Odin weakened the Knights, now my units who need the EXP can take them out.

The nice thing about effective weaponry is that they make for excellent dual attack support. Elise just needs to tap this guy to get Peri to finish the job for her.

If I put someone here to choke the point then I only have to take out 4 of these units to keep the rest of my army safe. That seems doable...

Breaker skills give the user +50% hit and avoid against that specific weapon type. Classes learn these at level 15 promoted which normally makes them super lategame, but Jakob's weird so he gets it early. Would have been very helpful literally a turn earlier...

It took very careful use of dual strikes to get all this to work. Point has been choked and only one Diviner remains!

Camilla uses her high movement to bail, luring Orochi along with her. She can't tank another enemy phase like she did before thanks to Seal Res.

New units! A Knight and a Fighter, it's like Elise's retainers but gender swapped. These jerks showing up are why this chapter gives you so few deployment slots...

Charlotte is a Fighter who's all strength, speed, and HP. The Steel Axe and Gamble skill she joins with make her near useless in this chapter since she cannot hit anything for the life of her. She's one of the game's best support partners but her actual combat performance is a bit more dubious... A bit like Nyx, really.

Benny is a Knight. His defense is high and his speed is low. No gimmicks, no weirdly unfitting stats that'll become apparent if you reclass him, he just moves slow and doesn't die. I married him in my first ever playthrough.

The Wyvern Riders are coming up from the bottom of the map and my squisher units need to escape their range. Peri runs to Benny and pairs up with him so he can drop her off to safety.

It's hard to tell, but there's 3 spots at the top of the map that give big healing and defensive bonuses. Odin pairs up with Elise to stick himself on one to lure in the wyverns and nostank them.

She might not increase his magic, but she increases his bulk well enough. She'd achieve a similar effect just by standing next to him but I couldn't get him to reach the gate without her help.

An Outlaw arrives on the scene to take a gentle stroll in the direction of the houses. He's only got 3 move so he won't get there fast, but his arrival does encourage you to hurry it up a little.

These combos are really annoying just because they take so much effort to take out. Effective weaponry and magic does well enough, but I've only got so many users of that.

...you know, it wouldn't be impossible to make Peri a Sol Master Ninja instead.

It's been too long since the last Corrin one-shot. Gotta keep up that magic to keep them coming!

Now Camilla can finally get her revenge. Orochi's fortune failed to take into account that this is Conquest, not Birthright.

These jerks really picked the worst place to stand. The villages aren't in any danger yet, but I do not appreciate all these roadblocks.

I wish they'd made Charlotte start with a Hammer instead, she needed Benny's help to take out this low health armour guy. I'm not planning on using her so I don't want to feed her kills, but it just happened that she needed to take this guy out.

That's 3 out of 4 visited. Unfortunately the last village is under the watchful eye of Takumi...

This man is a criminal so it's okay to torture him to death for EXP.

There are two groups left to deal with. Entering the range of Scarlet's squad will spawn two big groups of enemies in the locations I've circled, which can very easily screw your victory in the last moment of the map. Entering her range from the top right is the best plan - it keeps you from having to engage either group of reinforcements the instant they appear, giving you time to mop up before they arrive.

Azura earns some EXP while I get my units into position...

Camilla takes Odin to improve her magic and dives in to the danger zone. I don't want her to actually be in range of Scarlet, which unfortunately limits where she can wait.

And here come the jerks to ruin your day. The Cavaliers at the bottom have at least one Beast Killer...

Time to take out Scarlet in one single attack. Bows are out of the question, but magic attacks take her out just fine. We are absolutely the bad guys in this situation btw.

Now Silas can stand where she was to form a chokepoint between the villages.

...or I can just wipe out all of her squad so I don't need one.

Odin shall distract these wyverns while the cavs aggro on my army. I really am glad that Odin is here, he makes strategy so much easier.

Thanks, Elise. That defense and skill really make up for earlier...

This man fears the Dark and makes a retreat to heal. A little annoying, he's just prolonging the chapter for no reason...

I like to think Odin's usefulness in spite of his garbage levels is a testament to how good he is.

Now for the worst part of the chapter - dealing with Takumi and his 19 crit. He'll sit patiently until you enter his range, but his range is quite vast. The combined crit bonuses from being a Sniper, his personal weapon, and his high skill are quite scary. You might want to hit him with a Freeze or an Enfeeble... or maybe take him out at the start so he doesn't end your run with a crit right at the end.

More dancing to get in position...

Conquest shall make fine Takumi bait. The combination of her Dragonstone and support from her allies raise her bulk up to be high enough...

She even manages to earn enough crit avoid to avoid any risk of a crit! Although one wouldn't have killed her anyway.

If Silas got this level I wouldn't complain. At least he's got the cool Quick Draw skill now.

Peri takes the Takumi kill, further reinforcing his opinion that all Nohrians are scum.

That's the last village down!

And we're done!

You know, in a sense this is technically true. Considering what happens in the final chapter...

EVIL HANS JUMPSCARE

...seriously this is so sudden and out of place it may as well be one. I'm never trusting any link to a flash maze game Garon sends me again!

Next time: Groans of increasing discomfort

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I was really hoping you were going to have Odin solo Takumi's squad. I've seen people do it on Lunatic before and I do it all the time on Hard.

I like that map. So much going on at once but you're allowed to take everything at your own pace.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Your Odin experience is the same as mine. Incredibly useful, trivializes a lot of challenges, garbage levels means eventual replacement

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
As opposed to Effie, who can become a bulldozer of rage and destruction that can end up wasting Wary Fighter, Benny is very normal. It's kind of appreciated, but it leaves him a bit wanting for versatility. One time I married him to Azura and put him in Pegasus Knight.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Odin makes a decent Dark Knight on promotion, especially if he's gained some speed. But Leo is about to show up and he doesn't cost a seal.

It's always fun to instantly promote Benny only to have him solo the kitsune map. A bit of a waste, but funny.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Benny is a good dude. One of the few characters I don't have any disdain for.

Charlotte is cool too. Feel like everyone just glues her to Xanders rear end.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Benny is a good dude. One of the few characters I don't have any disdain for.

Charlotte is cool too. Feel like everyone just glues her to Xanders rear end.

I give her 100% crit and let her go on rampages with her bff arthur, just as it should be.

I'm beginning to suspect that our host does not, in fact, think that berserkers are the bestest class ever and everyone should be berserkers.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Charlotte rules, but in personality and in battle. Charlotte is bae.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Binged through the LP so far. Odin owns. This is making me want to find my Fates cart, which is a bad idea, I should just play one of the 3H routes I haven't gone through.

Also, slow armors work best in games like Echoes SoV because of the combined arms factor. That you deploy every unit you’ve got means that Soldiers can have a place, even if they’re only an extra warm body. There’s no opportunity cost as there is in most other FEs to deploying them, which is damning with faint praise I know.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 18, 2021

womanonthevergeof
Oct 1, 2021
I just started reading this thread and I absolutely have loved your LP so far. It's really making me want to finally break out my copy of Conquest... which I pre-ordered but is still in its shrink-wrap. (Sad but true...)

I'm a total idiot when it comes to strategy RP games, although I do love them, so if it's okay, I'd love some advice for tackling Conquest. How hard is this game on normal difficulty + permadeath, especially to someone not very good at calculating math on the fly? And does this game have some kind of mid-game battle save option... or am I going to want to toss my 3ds against a wall a lot due to surprise death out of nowhere?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly I’d probably start on Casual. Permadeath, while a core part of FE, is honestly not that engaging since it largely forces restarts. I’d say just go Casual, but show some restraint in not deliberately sacrificing units. The idea is more of a safety net to not have to restart due to a 1% crit or just some carelessness at the very end of the map.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Poor Laslow fights alone in the arena, his lack of supports means there's no-one to help him. Somehow this always happens to the womaniser characters in my playthroughs.

Anyway the important thing is now that Chapter 13 is done, I can upgrade my shops! This means we can start playing around with some of the cool Nohr-exclusive weapons, instead of just boring old bronze iron and steel.

Oh and I can also upgrade the lottery I guess. I'm still waiting to win some meat or wheat, I really want to make a ham sandwich.

This sale on swords is very well timed. I'll take a Levin Sword for Corrin and a second Armourslayer while it's cheap. Silver Swords don't particularly interest me because this game really nerfed silver weapons hard (they lower your stats after every battle and reduce your crit avoid to balance out their high might and lack of durability, which in practice makes them worse than forged iron or steel weapons and only worth either selling or saving for extremely rare situations in which you need to make a big attack and don't mind the debuffs). The Wyrmslayer is a bit too situational and I never particularly liked the Killing Edge in this game so I won't spend money on those.

I'll also take a Beast Killer to help in the next chapter and a Bolt Axe for Elise. There's a few other weapons I might want but none of them are any use to me right now so it makes more sense to wait for a sale.

Magic weapons have 1-2 range and are stronger than steel, but they also nerf your avoid severely and prevent you from activating offensive skills or getting critical hits. The huge increase in power is worth it though. The Levin Sword will absolutely be Corrin's main form of offense, and Elise will try to make use of the Bolt Axe when she can. It is unfortunately quite inaccurate which is a big problem for her.

Lastly, a reclass for Jakob. The Strategist class trades physical stats and speed for more movement and tome access. It's not really a good fit for a Jakob that cares about his offense, but it will make his healing better and get him to where he needs to be faster. I'm mostly doing this so he can grab some new skills. The loss of attack power from switching from the Flame Shurriken to a Fire tome is quite substantial, but I think it'll be worth it. He's likely going to be replaced by his children anyway.

Only one support this time, Corrin & Elise C. This isn't Three Houses so punch cleric Elise cannot be a thing.

My army's looking a little better now they're outfitted with cooler weapons. It's funny how I've got 3 different units with 13 in both defensive stats, all 3 of which aren't exactly known for their bulk.

Charlotte
Fighter (HS: Troubadour)
A+ Support Classes: Peri (Cavalier), Beruka (Wyvern Rider), Nyx (Dark Mage)
Personal Skill: Unmask (+4 damage and +20 crit against female enemies)
Growths (With Default Class):
HP: 65% (85)
STR: 55% (75)
MAG: 0% (0)
SKL: 35% (50)
SPD: 50% (65)
LCK: 45% (50)
DEF: 20% (25)
RES: 5% (5)

I don't really think Conquest has an "Est" type unit, but if anybody could be called one then I guess Charlotte would be it. She joins late (by this game's standards), her join level is low compared to the rest of your army, and her growths are very good.

Charlotte's very much a high investment character. The ideal Charlotte is a fast and strong Berserker who can tear through enemies with super high strength and speed, but Charlotte at base is not that unit. She can hit decently hard, but she'll struggle to double enemies and will be faced with accuracy problems when using anything better than a Bronze Axe. You absolutely should take Gamble off of her right away and only give it back once her skill and luck growths have kicked in. Charlotte's probably not going to be helping you much until she promotes.

When she does promote though, oh boy. Your average 20/1 Berserker Charlotte will have 27 strength and 22 speed, and she'll only get more ridiculous from there. She can absolutely destroy select enemies on player phase, and even if her defenses are bad her abnormally high HP will be enough to soak up a hit or two regardless. Nearly all of the generics you fight will be men so her special ability won't get much of a chance to shine, but when it does you'll see some screenshot worthy numbers and maybe even get the chance to see 100% crit if you stack absolutely every modifier she could possibly have. Her luck stat isn't great, but it's certainly not as terrible as Arthur's, and it'll only take a Goddess Icon or two to keep most of the random crit chances at bay.

Unfortunately for Charlotte, she's got one big problem - a unit paired with Charlotte can do pretty much anything she can, except most likely with better accuracy, bulk, or movement. A unit supported by an S rank support Berserker Charlotte (something she can promote into the instant she joins) gains a whopping 8 strength and 5 speed. Any physical attacker is going to become great with those stats, although units like Xander and Kaze who can shore up their mediocre speed or strength respectively and gain access to a 1-2 range weapon & Sol combo appreciate her support the most. It's not as if Charlotte can't access similar boosts by pairing up with someone like Arthur or Keaton too, but pairing up two amazing support partners does come at a bit of an oppurtunity cost.

Her growths, as good as they are, aren't all that different from the other 5 girls in Conquest with 50% in strength and speed or over. Effie, Mozu, Camilla, Peri, and even Azura all have similar offenses. They might not start off as a Fighter like she does, but they all join a lot earlier. Her growths are still great though, so any unit Charlotte is the mother of is going to hit fast and hard and have a good amount of HP, in addition to guaranteed access to the amazing Fighter class.

Cavalier's not a bad class for Charlotte to grab skills from to increase her damage output, although it's not really one worth staying in either. Dark Mage gives her the incredibly useful Heartseeker but otherwise is useless. Wyvern Rider however is a very viable option - you trade a little strength and speed in exchange for good bulk and high movement. Wyvern Lord Charlotte might not make as many OHKOs as she can as a Berserker, but she'll be a lot tankier. Her Heart Seal class of Troubadour is a cruel joke played on her by the devs.

Pros
  • An amazing support partner capable of granting 8 strength and 5 speed when at S rank
  • Up there with Camilla and Mozu in the ranks of best mother, gives access to the amazing Fighter class
  • A very fun and silly player phase unit when trained, can reach super high crit rates and one-round tough bosses or problem enemies

Cons
  • Bad bases and shaky accuracy require some spoonfeeding and a good support partner to get her experience early on
  • Questionable bulk despite her great HP, may be susceptible to crits as a Berserker
  • Joining late means less time to build supports

My Rating: Would own in a game where hand axes are good

Benny
Knight (HS: Fighter)
A+ Support Classes: Arthur (Fighter), Keaton (Fighter)
Personal Skill: Fierce Mein (Reduces avoid of enemies within two tiles by 10)
HP: 50% (70)
STR: 40% (60)
SKL: 50% (65)
SPD: 10% (15)
LCK: 35% (45)
DEF: 55% (75)
RES: 45% (45)

Okay first of all giving Benny Fighter as his Heart Seal class and then making all of his A+ support classes give Fighter as well was a really mean thing to do to him. Jakob's got the same problem in Conquest, but at least he can support Takumi in Birthight to get Archer...

Benny is the quintessential Knight. His bulk is high, his speed is low. 70% HP, 75% defense, and 15% speed tell you all you need to know about him up front. Benny won't get to his destination fast, but he will get there in one piece.

Besides his non-existant speed stat, Benny's growths are actually quite good. Obviously his HP and defense are through the roof, but he's not too bad in other areas - he's surprisingly accurate, his serviceable luck keeps away the critical hits, and his resistance is actually quite okay for a physical tank. His biggest problem can be fixed by giving him the Wary Fighter skill he gets as a level 5 General, which prevents him from being doubled (and also doubling but that is never a thing he will ever be able to do). Promoting him instantly isn't too bad a call if you want him to have it as soon as possible. The trick to using him is simple - place him in range of the enemies, and watch him not die. Sometimes the enemies might not want to attack him, in which case you march him over to them risk free. He's a great user of Javelins and Hand Axes since their drawbacks mean nothing to him anyway, but his avoid-lowering personal skill make him good at close combat too. Weaken an enemy with him at close range and someone else can finish the job.

Otherwise he's got a similar problem to Selena in that while he's quite good at not dying, he doesn't really do a whole lot besides. Tanking is useful, but his mediocre strength and complete inability to double make his retaliations not so threatening. A Benny with Wary Fighter can be a good tank in classes that aren't General if you want some extra movement or attack power, so Berserker Benny can be a thing if you want it to be.

A unit supported by Benny can do similar levels of tanking while also being much more effective in other areas. One unit who appreciates a Benny support is Beruka - it turns her into a flying brick wall who can tank while also having nearly twice the movement range Benny does. If you have no place in your army for a slow moving tank then consider pairing him up with someone faster to make them a tank instead.

Pros
  • Obscene levels of physical bulk, surprisingly decent resistance
  • Wary Fighter circumvents his speed problems
  • Fierce Mein is a cool skill that allows him to set up kills for others, his bulk makes it less risky than using a Dark Mage for the same purpose
  • Turns any unit he's paired with into an even bigger tank

Cons
  • Terrible speed can be problematic before he gets Wary Fighter
  • Absolutely garbage movement means he'll struggle to keep up without a partner to ferry him
  • Doesn't really do much besides not die
  • Joining late means less time to build supports
  • Has the second most difficult child paralogue to complete and one of the worst children to boot

My Rating: Beats Arthur for "best husband material in Conquest" because he wouldn't drop your wedding ring down a sewer grate by accident

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I really like Benny. He's a nice guy, and probably one of my favourite members of the 'gentle giant' archetypes (though Mordecai still takes the trophy for me there). Speedrunners and those who like efficiency will dump on him, but he still works really well for doing what Knights do (choking a point), which you do quite a bit on Conquest playing normally. The hilarious (though not remotely recommended option) is to marry him to Azura to give him Pegasus Knight, which keeps his Lance rank and an almost usable Speed growth (he can actually double the final boss with almost no RNG this way with heavy resource investment, which is funny).

The only things I'd dock him on are that his supports with Nyx are a little weird and anyone who can marry Peri are an unfortunate victim of the system. But I like his support with Charlotte, it's very comfy.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Bogart posted:

Binged through the LP so far. Odin owns. This is making me want to find my Fates cart, which is a bad idea, I should just play one of the 3H routes I haven't gone through.

Also, slow armors work best in games like Echoes SoV because of the combined arms factor. That you deploy every unit you’ve got means that Soldiers can have a place, even if they’re only an extra warm body. There’s no opportunity cost as there is in most other FEs to deploying them, which is damning with faint praise I know.
Three Houses is also a very good game so I endorse playing that as well as Fates.

I'm not a big fan of knights in Echoes but I do love warping them right on top of the enemy for very little cost.

womanonthevergeof posted:

I just started reading this thread and I absolutely have loved your LP so far. It's really making me want to finally break out my copy of Conquest... which I pre-ordered but is still in its shrink-wrap. (Sad but true...)

I'm a total idiot when it comes to strategy RP games, although I do love them, so if it's okay, I'd love some advice for tackling Conquest. How hard is this game on normal difficulty + permadeath, especially to someone not very good at calculating math on the fly? And does this game have some kind of mid-game battle save option... or am I going to want to toss my 3ds against a wall a lot due to surprise death out of nowhere?
The game only has a mid-map save feature on Casual mode unfortunately, the map saves you make in Classic are volatile and disappear once you reload them. I personally would recommend you just play on Casual, make a save every few turns, and then just reload from one of those if someone dies. Normal mode isn't too bad (the difference between normal & hard is way bigger than the one between hard & lunatic), but there's still a few nasty tricks that can catch you off guard if you don't pay attention.

Otherwise my best hint is just to look at each enemy before you fight them! Checking enemy skills is more important than crunching the numbers, so at the very least make sure they're not packing anything that will catch you by surprise.

Glad to know you're enjoying my LP! I hope this game ends up more being more fun than it is frustrating.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I really like Benny. He's a nice guy, and probably one of my favourite members of the 'gentle giant' archetypes (though Mordecai still takes the trophy for me there). Speedrunners and those who like efficiency will dump on him, but he still works really well for doing what Knights do (choking a point), which you do quite a bit on Conquest playing normally. The hilarious (though not remotely recommended option) is to marry him to Azura to give him Pegasus Knight, which keeps his Lance rank and an almost usable Speed growth (he can actually double the final boss with almost no RNG this way with heavy resource investment, which is funny).

The only things I'd dock him on are that his supports with Nyx are a little weird and anyone who can marry Peri are an unfortunate victim of the system. But I like his support with Charlotte, it's very comfy.
Benny's a cool guy. I think what's unique about him is that his personality gimmick revolves around how other people react to him, not how he acts himself, so he comes off as relatively normal. I can't remember if I ever married him to Charlotte but I did marry him to Beruka once and their S support was one of the few ones I genuinely thought was sweet...

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Time to visit the opera house and add some class to this LP. Every single route visists Nestra, CQ in chapter 14, Rev in chapter 13, and BR in chapter 12.

I looked up a map of Fates land because I had legitimately no idea where Nestra was...

Turns out it's below the rest of Nohr. I'm surprised Garon hasn't taken it over yet.

Azura sings a magic song that spoils the game's plot and Garon gets upset and starts making some very suspect noises. I really recommend you check out the cutscene if you haven't seen it already, it's worth watching both for the song and for Garon's... groans of discomfort.

Time to save Garon from an assassination attempt, completely unrelated to Azura's little song just now. The objective is to defeat the boss by navigating across all these little boats. I'm not really a fan of this map for a few reasons...

Here are four of those reasons. That's four different offensive staves to navigate through on your way through the map... There's actually a second Freeze Shrine Maiden near the first just to ruin your day even more.

A fifth reason is all the Sky Knights. Fliers are really weird on this map - they can cross over the open water easily enough, but the ends of each little boat count as walls they can fly over but can't occupy the same space as... It is surprisingly difficult to tell where fliers can and can't go at a glance, which makes them annoying to plan around. Their low strength only complicates things further because they'll often fly past your defensive juggernauts to go harass your weaker back line instead.

Here to recruit is a Wolfman. Why is he here? I don't even think the developers know. Corrin recruits him, but he'll also naturally head towards Corrin to recruit himself. The enemies on the map will target him, so be careful!

Finally joining is Leo, the younger Nohr brother. He's a slow and powerful horse-mounted mage, and the first royal we recruit to have a unique weapon. Brynhildr might be the worst of the four in Fates thanks to its rather unreliable ability (a Skill% chance to half magical damage, different from every other legendary weapon in that its effect doesn't always activate), but at the end of the day it's still a more powerful tome than Fimbulvetr and lacking any of its drawbacks.

Leo's high movement and strong 1-2 range will be a huge help to you in this chapter against all the Onis and Archers you'll face. He won't be earning much more than 1 or 2 EXP per kill, but don't be afraid to have him make things easier for you if you need the help. Just like Camilla his internal level is slightly lower than what his displayed level would suggest, so he'll earn slightly more EXP than a 20/1 promoted unit would!

Yeah, they really didn't have an actual reason for Keaton to show up. Panne's reasoning and the Taguel as a whole felt rather out of place in Awakening but even they tried at least a little bit.

Odin and Nyx shall go north to tank all the low-res axe users. There's absolutely no reason not to switch to her and waste one of the enemy's Hexing Rod uses, she's not in any danger and she won't be entering combat ever.

Azura boosts the Corrin Silas combo to recruit Keaton as fast as possible. He's not in much danger, but it's better to have him under your control as soon as possibe.

The range of these fliers is highlighted in red. At a glance you'd think Keaton was in danger, but the edges of the ships near him protect him. If you need to work out where they can and can't go it's easiest to look at the map on the bottom screen.

Corrin equips the Levin Sword and blocks the Archers from hitting him. She's bulky enough to take a few hits.

Everybody else waits near the centre to await the fliers that will soon descend upon them.

The Levin Sword doesn't quite KO, but it does deal some very nice damage. A slightly faster Corrin could one round them...

A slightly smarter me could have avoided this. Baiting this duo of Sky Knights over to Corrin wasn't what I wanted to do...

Keaton recruits himself without taking any damage. This is even sillier when you realise he's the head of an entire tribe which he's just kind of abandoned for no reason.

Keaton! Keaton is a Wolfskin, a class that uses stones to transform. He hits hard and tanks hits well, but he's a bit slow and lacks any sort of 2 range. The Beastbane skill his class gives him makes his weapons twice as effective against other beast units, which includes Sky Knights thanks to the mounts they ride. Depending on what weapon he has equpped, his stats look slightly different...

The two different weapons he joins with change his stats in different ways. The Beaststone is for speed, and the rune is for bulk. The Beastrune is kind of like Corrin's Dragonstone in the boosts that it gives, but it can still allow the user to double if they're fast enough!

Right, time to sort out this mess. There are lots of fliers and I would like there to be less.

Leo teams up with Peri to give her the bulk she needs to survive the front lines. She and a few others will rush ahead while the rest of the squad moves back.

Some of these Samurai have Pass, so they can walk right through my chokepoint to attack my units from the other side. Pass is one of those skills that will absolutely cause you a game over if you're not paying attention, so keep track of which enemies have it!

I swear Peri isn't normally this good. I'm glad to show off her potential usefulness but this feels like false advertising.

Bloodthirst combined with the extra strength turn her attacks into OHKOs. It's a really good skill!

Keaton can clobber the Sky Knights in this chapter and take little damage in return, but his accuracy leaves something to be desired. That is a werewolf he's transformed into and not a yeti.

Tanking these guys is what Odin was sent here to do, although he can't enter the green zone without taking a Hex. One of these Onis has a weapon that deals effective damage against any unit with a lance, which can be a really nasty surprise.

A good Corrin level makes me very happy, because she's going to need high stats for the next chapter. Good enough to take out an entire map on her own.

Somebody needs to brave this danger zone to take out that Shrine Maiden. Thanks to Leo, it shouldn't be too hard to ferry someone over...

Leo could have done this on his own but Niles actually gets EXP from the kill. One thing I do miss from the Outlaw class is the extra movement Niles gives...

I can take stupid risks like this if dual guard's guaranteed to activate on the next hit. Behold the power of the Bolt Axe!

Wow, Elise! What do you think you are getting those kind of stats, a Wyvern Rider? And check out that capped luck! I probably could promote Elise right now and not miss out on much to be honest. I won't though because I want her to cap more stuff.

Keaton's unique ability gives him a small chance to find resources randomly during the first 7 turns of a chapter. It's nice, but not something you can rely on to give you something specific.

A minor miscalculation on my part left Niles in range of an Archer with Lunge he didn't ORKO, who could have lunged him over the water to be beaten to death by two other enemies. Thankfully the other Archer who didn't have the skill decided to attack first, blocking Niles from further harm. This won't be the first bad decision that nearly kills me this chapter!

Once Odin mops up at the top that'll be one half of the map clear. The second half is where it gets tricky - that big cluster of enemies is full of 2 Freeze staves and an Enfeeble, and they won't aggro until you enter their range. Getting frozen and having your stats lowered is obviously not a thing you want to happen to you.

Passing some threshold in this chapter will also cause 3 pairs of flying units to appear behind your starting location. I'm not exactly sure where it is, but it's safe to assume that once you aggro the enemies on the right you'll spawn them in too.

Included in this unruly mob is a Swordcatcher Sky Knight and Pike-ruin Oni, which means sword and lance users both have to be careful. It makes tanking the entire right side of the map with Silas not as good an option as it could be.

I think it's possible to enter the green staff radius and not trigger the reinforcements and aggro the enemies, although I'm not 100% sure exactly where's safe to stand. It might be everywhere that's not in range of an enemy, it might only be the outskirts of the green zone. I won't take any chances.

Silas waits behind to intercept the reinforcements with the Beast Killer I bought last chapter. He's tanky, he'll do fine. Keaton's not a bad choice for doing this either, although he might want a defensive pair-up just to be safe.

Odin is stuck up here and I don't want to spend 5 turns moving him back. I'll have him approach from the top rather than meeting up with the rest of the army...

azuralevelazuralevel

The Entrap user is right next to the boss. Be careful around her range. It is fairly easy to end this chapter early by flying over to the boss or letting someone get Entrapped and then killing him with them, but I want all the EXP and all the treasure!

First of all I'm going to make sure nobody gets Enfeebled. Leo doesn't mind getting frozen thanks to his good bulk, but even he'd turn into a sitting duck if he got his stats lowered.

Everybody else can now get a bit closer to the action now that green cloud is no longer hanging over them. I'll still need to take out the other two Shrine Maidens of course...

A large number of the enemies in this group have either Poison Strike or Lunge... but they can't activate them if they can't survive a round with Leo.

He is however now glued to this spot thanks to the two Freeze users in range of him.

And now these guys are here. Say hello to the first promoted generic units in Conquest! Kinshi Knights might not have good stats, but they are 8 move fliers with ranged weaponry and they will be very annoying unless you're prepared.

They also spawn in a place where only fliers could reach them, and they have bows to discourage said fliers from trying to reach them.

Niles takes the lead to snipe a single Sky Knight. He's just going to get frozen the next turn and he doesn't have the bulk to survive out in front for long, but he does more damage than Leo can.

Camilla shall also help.

She gains more EXP than Leo despite her higher level. I'm glad she's getting progressively better levels, but it would be nice to see some strength...

Keaton can stand here to lure a pair of fliers to take the pressure off of Silas a little. Although I'll soon regret luring high movement enemies towards all my squishy units...

Odin enters the right side from above to take the heat off of Leo a little. Turns out he's not as great at nostanking Sky Knights as he is most other classes.

Neither Keaton nor Silas fear the Kinshis all that much. Their chip attacks do eventually rack up damage though, and they are annoying to take down...

...if you don't have a Beast Killer. Byeeeee

...or I could have just hit her with a sword. A much more accurate sword.

My poorly thought out Keaton plan has now lured two deadly pairs of units over to me. Silas whiffing his attack also means there's a third Kinshi pair hovering a few tiles away... It is going to be difficult to solve this.

Worst case scenario, I just have Jakob Freeze the two of them. But I'll happily fish for unlikely hits like these if it potentially saves me two uses of a valuable staff...

Freeze isn't 100% accurate though, so it's not an entirely reliable escape plan. Camilla flies over and takes the one shot she's in range of taking.

That's one down! Thank you Peri for being awesome.

Unfortunately Camilla was blocking Azura from dancing Peri and having her move again, although a danced Peri wouldn't have been able to reach the remaining Kinshi anyway. Best I can do is dance Camilla and have her take out this Sky Knight...

...and hope the Freeze lands on this one last enemy.

Leaving me in this situation. Two Kinshis left, one frozen, the other just in range to assist in a dual strike against Camilla. Thankfully by sticking Elise next to her and passing Arthur to her, she has her bulk increased and will be immune to the dual attack. I'm going to pretend this was all intentional to show off the tools Conquest gives you to improvise your way out of a bad situation.

I didn't plan this. I did however survive it so you can't call me a bad strategist.

This part I did calculate. The combination of Elise's personal skill and Jakob's Gentilihomme allowed her to survive this hit...

Keaton gets a cool level to sweeten my undeserved victory. Maybe he'll be a member of my team, maybe he won't. I think I want to marry him to Camilla, but I also want Kaze to marry her just so I can get his paralogue...

All that could have been avoided! What I should have done was have had Silas distract them all to keep them away from everyone else. If he ended up being in danger I could have paired up Camilla with Keaton and sent him over to help. Alternatively, I could have given Keaton some tonics and left him there to be bait, freeing up the rest of my army to take on the right side... Or hell I even could have just rushed the boss to end the chapter before the reinforcements caught up with my army.

Oh well!

At least these two are doing fine. As always, things would have been easier if I had sent Niles over in the direction of the flying units I wanted dealing with. Maybe one day I'll learn?

slowdin dark

Only the boss and his cronies remain. Kumeraga's a bit scary - he's got the very annoying Countermagic skill, which reflects all magical damage dealt to him on enemy phase back at the caster. He's also got Darting and Certain Blow, which will make him faster and more accurate when he initiates combat. And then there's also his two Archer flunkies and the Entrap Shrine Maiden to make approaching him much more difficult.

He's not a bad capture target if you want a bulky unit. He'll learn Shove if you level him up a couple of times too, which will help with positioning.

Oh and there's also the two treasure chests. Money is nice, Seraph Robe increases max HP. I'm not sure who would want that the most...

Bye bye Archers. It's very satisfying to take out a bow user with a flying unit.

Bye bye Entrap! Elise might be in range of the boss but don't worry, she's perfectly safe. Taking this unit out means the rest of my army can approach with no risk...

Without his posse to back him up the boss isn't so scary. Just watch out for his skills and you'll be fine. He can't even one-shot Elise!

This for example is something you'd want to pay attention to. The combined effects of Countermagic + his counterttack would equal one very dead Leo if you tried this seemingly safe option.

Camilla and Silas set up the kill for Elise to make. This guy just tried to kill her father, it's only fair!

Elise finishes him off and gets a very Elise level.

That... could have gone better. But it also could have gone worse and it did not go worse.

Woah, slow down there Dimitri.

Oh right, I completely forogt about this. Leo's arrival causes the Yato to upgrade into its cooler, Conquest-unique form. The stat bonus it provides doesn't require it to be equipped, only held in Corrin's inventory, so they don't need to be a sword user to reap its benefits. Keep in mind that it's still a katana and therefore will lower her defensive stats by 1 each when equipped in addition to the buffs it also gives.

Next time: Corrin goes for a swim

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I blame this thread for leading me to acquire a copy of Fates for my emulator and play Conquest first.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Holy moly your Peri is nuts.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The fact that the Grim Yato is still a Katana is one of the most Fates things that Fates does.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Keaton is a good boy.

The trigger for the reinforcements is to be in range of an attack from the forces on the right. You can turtle the staff users without any worries, but once a single enemy can attack is when the Kinshis arrive.

This map is another reason I make sure to have 2 archers.

Odin is basically Leo. If promoted to Dark Knight right now he would have equal or better stats in everything except magic and resistance. Fates went hard on nerfing magic users except for Corrin and Hayato.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
For some reason I keep thinking Keaton is the Birthright kitsune character. Probably something to do with the similarly-named mask from Zelda looking like a fox.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

midnight lasagna posted:

Keaton gets a cool level to sweeten my undeserved victory. Maybe he'll be a member of my team, maybe he won't. I think I want to marry him to Camilla, but I also want Kaze to marry her just so I can get his paralogue...

Clearly you should marry him to Charlotte and turn his child into a complete wrecking ball.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I dug out my Fates copy and I'm playing along on Hard while I remember what all the fiddly little items do. Glad that they at least had the sense to let you start at Chapter 6 instead of going through the tutorial every time. Sure, it might mean a slightly less optimal Corrin and attendant, but I don't have to hear about the ocean. Might gently caress around and give Nyx the Witch's Seal or Dread Fighter item.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Obligatum VII posted:

Clearly you should marry him to Charlotte and turn his child into a complete wrecking ball.

Alternate answer: marry Kaze and Charlotte and get a murderbeast Midori, which would be pretty funny (even though you probably don't plan to use the kids, it's at least funny conceptually and Kaze would certainly get value out of charlotte as a stat backpack).

Edit: Oops, quote is not edit, etc.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Fine, I'll appease the masses with the smallest glimpse of Charlotte content. I should probably take Gamble off of her if she's going to show up in the arena but crits are funny so I don't want to.

Jakob/Azura A, Jakob/Camilla C, Niles/Leo C, Elise/Azura C.

Jakob would not be saying what he is saying now after playing through all 3 routes of this game. Half the soundtrack has that one song Azura sings woven into it...

Two newcomers to the big stat list. Kaze's not 100% benched yet, but he's not leveled up so he doesn't need to be on the list this time. My units are getting close to promotion level...

Leo
Dark Knight (HS: Troubadour)
A+ Support Classes: Odin (Samurai), Niles (Outlaw), Xander (Cavalier)
Personal Skill: Pragmatic (+3 damage dealt to and -1 damage taken from enemies with less than max HP at the start of combat)
HP: 40% (55)
STR: 25% (45)
MAG: 55% (65)
SKL: 35% (40)
SPD: 45% (50)
LCK: 45% (50)
DEF: 30% (45)
RES: 45% (50)

Here's Leo, the second last Nohrian royal... and the worst one, arguably. Althought "worst Nohrian royal" is a statement you should read in the same way you would "poorest billionaire". He's still a great unit. And if you want my controversial opinion, I think he's a better unit than Takumi...

First of all, did you know that Leo's got the exact same growth total as Camilla? They're both tied for the third best growths in Conquest, second only to Mozu and Odin. That's not quite as impressive when you know they've both got a 25% growth in an offensive stat they don't really use, but it's still neat. Statwise Leo's an incredibly powerful and decently bulky magical attacker who's speed kind of hovers around the "could double with a speed-boosting support partner" area. He'll hit incredibly hard with his high magic and 10 might personal tome, and with support from a good partner he'll be able to double a decent amount of enemies. He absolutely blows Odin out the water with his raw damage, and while he won't be as fast as Nyx he'll be much better at doing her job without dying.

Brynhildr might be the worst of the 4 royal weapons, but it's still great in its own right. 10 mt and 80 hit makes it only slightly weaker than Ragnarok (the tome equivalent of a silver weapon), except instead of coming with a bunch of drawbacks it instead boosts Leo's crit avoid and can be used by him at any rank. It also has the fairly situational ability to lower magical damage, but it happens so rarely that it's more of a "nice when it happens" kind of thing instead of anything you should ever rely on. Pragmatic is also fairly underwhelming as far as royal personal skills go, but even if it's a little situational it's still a big boost that's not too hard to activate. It doesn't entirely synergise with Leo's main use as an enemy phase tank, but there will absolutely be situations in which he needs to pick off a weakened enemy.

Dark Knight's not the only class Leo can use. On one hand it does give him a large amount of movement and it is the source of most of his bulk (a reclassed Leo will be quite a bit more fragile), but on the other hand Leo has nearly no use at all for his sword rank - his attack is way worse than his magic and a Levin Sword only has 1 might over Brynhildr while also being too high for his base sword rank to use. There might be situations in which he wants to hit an enemy with a sword to avoid Countermagic or a super high resistance stat, but those will be extremely rare. Sorcerer Leo can Nosferatu tank mostly better than Odin can, trading accuracy for power and speed. He can also A+ support Odin to grab the Samurai class from him to learn Vantage. Strategist Leo trades bulk for speed and power, and trades his mostly useless sword access for staves, something he can make use of even at E rank. It's not a bad option if you need an extra healer but it will tank his bulk significantly, and unlike Sorcerer he can't make up for it with Nosferatu.

Otherwise Leo is kind of like Camilla in that he'll start off OP and slowly get worse as the rest of your units catch up. His bulk will go from "good" to "adequate", and his speed will become more and more of an issue as enemies get faster. But at the end of the day he's a great magical attacker who only needs a fast support partner to do well, and he's a fine replacement for Odin if he's starting to fall off... which he probably is.

Pros
  • Great base stats for his join time, earns EXP faster than other units of his level
  • Can activate dragon veins, has a cool personal tome that his almost as hard as Ragnarok or a Thunder tome with many forges
  • Great tanking ability for a 1-2 range unit, especially when given the Horse Spirit from Ophelia's paralogue
  • Can Nosferatu tank well with a single reclass and grab Vantage from Odin with some effort
  • Is like the one unit who can reclass into Troubadour that might actually want to
  • Has a cool son who can work as a 0 effort staffbot or potentially a great magical attacker

Cons
  • Reliant on a support partner to double consistently
  • Stats become less impressive as you progress through the game, lacks any standout attributes in the lategame besides magic
  • Joins late less time for supports blah blah blah I'm saying this about everyone now

My Rating: Better than Takumi!!!

Keaton
Wolfskin (HS: Fighter)
A+ Support Classes: Arthur (Fighter), Laslow (Mercenary), Benny (Knight)
Personal Skill: Collector (Luck% chance of picking up 3 minerals or ingredients after moving during the first 7 turns of a map)
HP: 60% (80)
STR: 60% (80)
SKL: 20% (25)
SPD: 35% (50)
LCK: 30% (35)
DEF: 50% (60)
RES: 25% (25)

Keaton is like the male counterpart of Charlotte, he's an amazing support partner with stupid high HP and strength who passes on the Fighter class. Except while Charlotte's a vicious fighter pretending to be a bimbo, Keaton's a himbo pretending to be a vicious fighter.

I'm not actually sure what the perception of Keaton in the FE community at large is - tier lists tend to place him at or close to bottom tier thanks to his late join time and lack of a mount or 1-2 range, but I don't see him talked about much in more casual playstyles. I have a soft spot for him though, I think he's got good base stats, great growths, and a really fun set of weapons that let him switch up his stats to suit the situation. Also he's a funny dog man!

Combatwise, Keaton hits hard and takes hits well. His strength growth in his default class almost rivals that of Effie. His speed hovers around that area where it can double some things but needs a good support partner or tonics to be at all reliable. Boosting it by equipping a Beaststone helps, but he can't always afford the drop in power or bulk. He's absolutely a great tank, so long as the enemy doesn't have too many magic users or any Beast Killers. He can swap between his stone and his rune depending on whether the situation calls for speed and accuracy or bulk and killing power. The boost to damage that Odd Shaped provides him on odd numbered turns is helpful, but you do need to pay attention to make the most out of it and not accidentally get yourself killed by forgetting that it won't apply on even numbered turns. Despite his late join time he still comes at a good level, so he'll already be a competent fighter without the need to be babied.

There are a few flaws with the Wolfskin class that do put a damper on his usefulness. A complete lack of 1-2 range can be frustrating at times. Hand axes and the like may not be good at this game, but even units that have to rely on them can attack from range at a pinch. Relying on stones to attack also has a few drawbacks, namely that they cannot be forged and that no other class uses them, which means a reclassed Keaton will always be stuck with E rank weapons at first. The weakness to Beast Killers hurts too, although that's something Keaton and any of his descendants will be stuck with even outside of beast classes. The high accuracy of beast weapons and the innate crit evade of Wolfskin's promoted form do somewhat make up for Keaton's poor speed and luck, but he still struggles to deal with enemies with good avoid at times.

Just like Charlotte, Keaton's an amazing support partner. The Wolfskin class provides a good mix of strength and speed on pair-up, and Keaton's personal bonuses provide even more strength and speed along with a little bit of defense. He can even be swapped to Berserker if you want to tailor his boosts more towards strength. The Wolfskin class can't be Partner Sealed into, so his spouse will get the Fighter class instead, something that's arguably more useful anyway. Keaton's great defensive utility isn't as easy to replicate as Charlotte's player phase offensive, but a unit with Keaton permanently glued to their backside is still a perfectly fine alternative to actually using him in combat himself.

Collector is a fun skill, but Keaton's luck is so low that it'll rarely activate, and when it does it's unlikely to give you what you want anyway. Both Fighter classes are decent reclass options for him, and they give him great skills too. He doesn't benefit hugely from any of his A+ support classes, he'll tank better as a wolf than a Knight and Mercenary doesn't give him much of worth that Fighter doesn't already.

Pros
  • Amazing support partner who gives access to the coveted Fighter class and greatly boosts strength and speed
  • Almost entirely unique access to the Wolfskin class, can choose to either boost his speed or his bulk with his two joining weapons
  • Innate Beastbane in his join class make him a no effort answer to troublesome mounted units
  • Good level for his join time, can tank well right off of the bat

Cons
  • Complete lack of 2 range without reclassing
  • Mediocre speed and accuracy without a good support partner
  • Intrinsic weakness to beast killing weapons limits his tanking utility
  • Joins late less time for supports blah blah blah I'm saying this about everyone now

My Rating: Looks like more of a Were-Yeti to me

midnight lasagna fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 19, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You put that Leo gives Leo Samurai, instead of Odin giving Leo Samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Just like a noble to steal credit from the commoners doing the work