Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Got my Series S finally, and ready to catch up on some Game Pass games. What are some of the more underplayed/overlooked gems on here? I've played most of the "big" titles (Hades, Prey, Celeste, Hollow Knight etc), but always love discovering stuff that may not be as known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

thatfuturekid posted:

Got my Series S finally, and ready to catch up on some Game Pass games. What are some of the more underplayed/overlooked gems on here? I've played most of the "big" titles (Hades, Prey, Celeste, Hollow Knight etc), but always love discovering stuff that may not be as known.

I like Carto and Wilmot's Warehouse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

thatfuturekid posted:

STREETS OF RAGE!!!

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Plague Tale
Bards Tale IV
Pillars of Eternity (both)
Ori

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Psychonauts 2

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

The Procession to Calvary (One man absurdic comedy point and click adventure)
Desperadoes 3 (Squad based puzzle pausable rts in wild west)
All the Yakuza's (Start with Yakuza 0 or Yakuza like a Dragon) ((earlier parts are beat em ups with good stories, Like a Dragon is JRPG with good story)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sable just came out and is great

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Barudak posted:

I am absolutely in love with Sable. It's GOTY so far for me, just based on vibe and aesthetics alone. I just want to roam around the desert to the Japanese Breakfast soundtrack forever.

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

I've been enjoying these

Tetris Effect
Superhot: Mind Control Delete
Superliminal
Wreckfest

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

My Time at Portia if you enjoy games that are like Stardew Valley.

The Long Dark if you like extreme survival.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Barudak posted:

Did you get the bug where your objectives disappear? I'm supposed to get parts for a better land speeder or whatever and it erased the objectives when I got near the objects.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Did you get the bug where your objectives disappear? I'm supposed to get parts for a better land speeder or whatever and it erased the objectives when I got near the objects.

I got this in the tutorial in the demo and thought they fixed it. Theres lots of weird things about the prompts to interact vanishing that are fixed by just quiting out of the game completely and reloading it

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

adhuin posted:

Desperados 3 (Squad based puzzle pausable rts in wild west)

I'm gunna second this recommendation, I've been playing it the last couple of weeks and it's really really good. A sort of mix between Xcom and Hitman, set in the Wild West. Missions are surprisingly open as well, there's a whole bunch of different ways you can usually complete the objectives which is super cool.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Desperados 3 is extremely good, if you like tactical trial-and-error games. Very good save system which is a must for that kind of game.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

thatfuturekid posted:

Hellblade, if you haven't played it already. If that's the case, make this your top priority.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

And why are the buttons not coloured, now I'll be forced to read them.

They nixed that standardization. Like even in-game button prompts for current-gen games won't show colors, only the letters.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

univbee posted:

They nixed that standardization. Like even in-game button prompts for current-gen games won't show colors, only the letters.

I wish all input notation was standardised to how the Switch does it where they show button position instead of any letter.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hellblade, if you haven't played it already. If that's the case, make this your top priority.

Seconding Hellblade. It’s a great piece of work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

njsykora posted:

I wish all input notation was standardised to how the Switch does it where they show button position instead of any letter.

The only problem with that is how you verbalize saying what each button is, especially in a way for non-gamers to understand. left/right/top/bottom face button is the best I could come up with but you have to explain to people what a "face button" is.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Check out how depressing this is (second tweet not first tweet, you can't post a threaded tweet solo).

https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1450083598720135179

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The jocks have taken over gaming. In my day gaming was reserved for nerds.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what's depressing about it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Oh no the hugely popular game series sold well?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
MAD about MADden!!!

Games are all good.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This is the corner of gaming that either has zero presence online or has that type of internet presence that has zero interaction with the circles people in this thread and similar sites/social networks are in. Like if everyone on Something Awful and ResetEra all bought a copy of a specific game it would still be nothing compared to the millions of copies of Madden that are purchased on disc at Wal-Mart by 6-year-olds and their relatives shopping for them. This is also the main reason why an "all digital future" whether via Game Pass or other means is probably not going to happen meaningfully on consoles, there are far too many physical copies sold in a way that's largely invisible to people who don't specifically have access to the big picture sales numbers.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Back in the day, only 2 games mattered: Halo and Madden/NCAA.

Swap Halo for cod and not much has changed in 20 years. I guess throw fortnite into the mix.

E: yes I’m aware poo poo like pokemon existed

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the too-little-too-late files, Outriders hits Game Pass PC this week.

https://twitter.com/XboxWire/status/1450114632736194560

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I had fun building out my endgame gear in that game but then all my friends stopped playing and I didn't have anyone to do the endgame rift things with. Still a fun game though, Game Pass ftw.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gamepass has prevented me from spending a single cent on Destiny 2. Xbox stays winning

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

thatfuturekid posted:

Some of my picks/seconding others:

Psychonauts 2
A Plague Tale
Wreckfest
Children of Morta
Carrion
Desperados 3
State of Decay 2

And I'm currently addicted to The Riftbreaker which just came out. :)

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Gamepass has allowed me to download dozens of games to my PC and never start them.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Ascent is very good and cool looking if you are looking for something pretty to look at on your new system. The Ori games are also really good. I found some older stuff on GamePass also is way more fun with higher FPS and quick load times, like Prey and Fallout 4 and Morrowind and so on.

It's kind of niche but I was surprised how much I liked playing Planet Coaster on a controller. It's not quite as easy as a mouse but they did a pretty good job porting it and it's a fun game.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Series S back in stock at Costco for $290 shipped if anyones still looking.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Just an fyi, while i was on the phone with support for my still hosed xbone, they tried to sell me on the series. Apparently preorders go up tomorrow on the ms store I'm guessing for the x and she let slip the delivery date is December 21st.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The X is already out. Did you hit your head and wake up having only memories from September 2020?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The Ascent is very good and cool looking if you are looking for something pretty to look at on your new system. The Ori games are also really good. I found some older stuff on GamePass also is way more fun with higher FPS and quick load times, like Prey and Fallout 4 and Morrowind and so on.

It's kind of niche but I was surprised how much I liked playing Planet Coaster on a controller. It's not quite as easy as a mouse but they did a pretty good job porting it and it's a fun game.

The Ascent looks great but it's also wildly unbalanced and walking into the wrong zone on the way to a mission (that's at your level) tends to be a giant frustration. I put a decent chunk of hours into it before I finally gave up because the constant back tracking and getting murdered on the way to the next story mission sucked.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Gamepass has prevented me from spending a single cent on Destiny 2. Xbox stays winning
You're playing Destiny 2 without any of the seasonal content??

What is there to even do?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

joylessdivision posted:

The Ascent looks great but it's also wildly unbalanced and walking into the wrong zone on the way to a mission (that's at your level) tends to be a giant frustration. I put a decent chunk of hours into it before I finally gave up because the constant back tracking and getting murdered on the way to the next story mission sucked.

I bounced off some mini boss fight where there's some endless wave of enemies for x minutes and I just can't loving beat it. But the atmosphere is so loving good. I might have to try again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

You're playing Destiny 2 without any of the seasonal content??

What is there to even do?

Do the campaigns and listen to podcasts or chat to my bros :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

thatfuturekid posted:

People have chipped in with a ton of excellent suggestions already, but for my part, I'm going to also suggest...

Snowrunner.

It *isn't* X/S enhanced, so won't be as visually resplendent as some other titles, but *drat* it is a good game. *If* you like the notion physics sandboxes in which you haul cargo from A to B, through sucking mires of mud and water, through snowdrifts, and over unforgiving rock. Slowly and carefully. So very slowly and carefully. Getting deep into a drive, and then tipping over, or getting hopelessly stuck, and then taking out additional vehicles to try and recover the situation. And maybe you tip those over too... It is an interesting mix of 'accessibly casual' and 'strangely hardcore'.

Setting aside all of its DLC content, I spent over 200 hours on its base-game stuff alone, and if you *do* check it out, know that there is a great thread for the game in this sub-forum as well.