Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1449397750366359562

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah, that's probably the best they can do. It puts a time limit on the problem without harming the animals. Good for them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A group of hippos is called a 'bloat', of course.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

I mean, yeah, but that also sounds like an explanation old timey guys might give to other guys as an explanation for why they don't hit women back when hitting women was still acceptable. And old folks aren't the best at noticing the culture has moved on.

I don't know how things were in New Zealand, but in the 1950s America had Lucy getting spanked on tv. This was probably being shown on NZ tv when the wizard was a kid.

"I don’t think there is anything particularly wrong about hitting a woman- although I don’t recommend doing it in the same way that you’d hit a man. An open-handed slap is justified if all other alternatives fail.” – Sean Connery, 1965.

“If you have tried everything else – and women are pretty good at this – they can’t leave it alone. They want to have the last word and you give them the last word, but they’re not happy with the last word. They want to say it again, and get into a really provocative situation, then I think it’s absolutely right.” – Sean Connery, 1987

Sean Connery didn't get around to the view that hitting women was wrong until 2006, after decades of people calling him on it.

So a guy saying he won't hit women ever is an improvement over some of his peers, even if he gives a dumb reason for it.

Advances like this are cool. Is great that we live in a society that moves, even if is at a glacial pace. Some day it will be even possible for us introverts to say "gently caress you and leave me alone" to all the places where human interaction is forced on us.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

drat that's clever I thought it was 80085

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tei posted:

Advances like this are cool. Is great that we live in a society that moves, even if is at a glacial pace. Some day it will be even possible for us introverts to say "gently caress you and leave me alone" to all the places where human interaction is forced on us.

The only advancement I care about in this direction is that if I'm eating at a restaurant and clearly watching TV on my phone with very obvious headphones on, maybe don't come bother me about if I am liking my food while my mouth is full of said food. If there's a problem I'll flag you down, otherwise gently caress off I'm eating and watching TV :colbert: I know it's not the waitstaffs fault.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

ante posted:

Here's some breaking news about the pisstape

Someone is denying pretty hard, seems suspicious

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No, really.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I did not like getting peed on, it's not true! It's bullshit! I did not like it! I did not!
Oh hi, Mark.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My "I don't like golden showers" outburst has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my outburst

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Famous Italian DJ: Conor McGregor Broke My Nose Hours After Baptizing His Son At The Vatican

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1449814218543407107

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Maybe you (who received the broken nose) informed him of the tragic nature of that color combination. (No issues with pink, but that pink and shiny black doesn't work with that beard/hair/face color.)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1444281413629530115

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, and I used to read Playboy for the articles.

Any English major will have done this.

If not, I question the quality of their degree.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RAIDENNNN!!!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Maybe you (who received the broken nose) informed him of the tragic nature of that color combination. (No issues with pink, but that pink and shiny black doesn't work with that beard/hair/face color.)

You're right. But even beside that, they couldn't have gotten it more wrong. The shirt should be pink and the jacket black. They both look shiny and one of them should be matte. The point of a pocket square is to introduce a different color to the outfit, not one of the same! It should be gold or white or a pattern. And he should NOT be wearing a thin kilt that visibly reveals his erection (cropped out in this photo, but I was there.)

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Mescal posted:

You're right. But even beside that, they couldn't have gotten it more wrong. The shirt should be pink and the jacket black. They both look shiny and one of them should be matte. The point of a pocket square is to introduce a different color to the outfit, not one of the same! It should be gold or white or a pattern. And he should NOT be wearing a thin kilt that visibly reveals his erection (cropped out in this photo, but I was there.)
Weird Headlines: Thin kilt reveals erection. I know I was there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Huge Harambe Statue Planted Across From Wall Street's Charging Bull

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I thought the picture was of the lad who said no, and I thought "yep, I'd just walk away too." What a terrifyingly brave woman.

e: oh, the headline even says "woman," but my mind just autocorrected it to "Florida man"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/_BarringtonII/status/1450662050028564490

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Implying that this is not the first time they've arranged a pig kidney to someone and not had it work.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm just surprised it's the first time, I remember seeing similar headlines from years ago.

What I want to know is when I'll finally be able to buy synthetically grown lab meat in stores

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wait till they can attach a pig's huge balls.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phlegmish posted:

What I want to know is when I'll finally be able to buy synthetically grown lab meat in stores

Same. Even aside from potentially having meat with a lower carbon impact, they could grow meats they couldn't otherwise sell, like endangered animals. Or people. There could one day be a service where you send them a DNA sample and they make cuts of your own meat. Would you eat yourself? I would.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Would you eat me? I'd eat me.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wouldn't, I don't know where I've been.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Waymo's Self-Driving Cars Are Mysteriously Flocking to a Dead-End Street in San Francisco

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phlegmish posted:

I'm just surprised it's the first time, I remember seeing similar headlines from years ago.

Yeah there have been a lot of similar things. From the article,

quote:

In the 1960s, chimpanzee kidneys were transplanted into a small number of human patients. Most died shortly afterward; the longest a patient lived was nine months. In 1983, a baboon heart was transplanted into an infant girl known as Baby Faye. She died 20 days later.

Pigs offered advantages over primates for organ procurement — they are easier to raise, reach maturation faster, and achieve adult human size in six months. Pig heart valves are routinely transplanted into humans, and some patients with diabetes have received pig pancreas cells. Pig skin has also been used as temporary grafts for burn patients.

The combination of two new technologies — gene editing and cloning — has yielded genetically altered pig organs. Pig hearts and kidneys have been transplanted successfully into monkeys and baboons, but safety concerns precluded their use in humans.

It's the first time for this particular combination of things.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Same. Even aside from potentially having meat with a lower carbon impact, they could grow meats they couldn't otherwise sell, like endangered animals. Or people. There could one day be a service where you send them a DNA sample and they make cuts of your own meat. Would you eat yourself? I would.

Right? I can't wait to buy a cut of lab meat and then tell everyone about it, even if it'll definitely be overpriced at first. There's a huge untapped demographic of vaguely eco nerds that would flock to this

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Phlegmish posted:

Right? I can't wait to buy a cut of lab meat and then tell everyone about it, even if it'll definitely be overpriced at first. There's a huge untapped demographic of vaguely eco nerds that would flock to this
gently caress yeah, I'd be on that like the milkman on ur mom

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I'm willing to bet that the street is a trap street on whatever map they're using and shows as a through street. Then the car actually gets there and goes, "Whoops this isn't actually a quick way to get from point A to point B" and drives off to try another route.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Vienna museums launch OnlyFans account to display 'explicit' artworks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TIL we have actual autonomous taxis, rather than them still being in the testbed :psyduck:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

gently caress yeah, I'd be on that like the milkman on ur mom

This quote could be on the back of the packaging

Make it happen science guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's good because you can get an organ to adult human size in just 6 months. Way faster than any large primate. How does that affect longevity though? Google says domestic pigs can live 15-20 years. Do pig organs wear out faster than human organs?

I guess it doesn't really matter. Having to get a new pig kidney every 15 years is better than not getting a kidney at all.