Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked the new Mortal Kombat movie and have no history with the games or original movie. I just enjoyed it as a stupid action movie where a guy’s hat splits someone in half vertically and then he says “flawless victory.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
There is probably some lesson in all the people saying they enjoyed a video game movie where they didn't play the game it's based on.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Another thing about the first MK is Trevor Goddard did such a great job as Kano that they modeled the character in the modern MKs off of his portrayal.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

There is probably some lesson in all the people saying they enjoyed a video game movie where they didn't play the game it's based on.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not going to judge the film adaptation of a game (or book) based on how faithful it is to the source material, but on how well it works as a movie. Most videogame movies fail by either standard, neither satisfying fans of the source material nor people who just want to see a good movie.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I know it’s not a movie but the Castlevania series was fun.

I would love a Castlevania: Symphony of the Night movie. Just fun, mindless action the entire time. No romantic sub-plot, Just adventure and action. 2 movies. One in the right side up world, then one in the upside down.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The best video game ever is, of course, Super Mario Bros.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Imagined posted:

I think the best 'video game' movies, though, aren't based directly on games that existed before the movie, e.g. Wreck-it-Ralph or Edge of Tomorrow.
Boss Level is pretty good in this vein, but you'll have to excuse Mel Gibson's presence because all the non-racist actors were busy that week or something :v:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pilchenstein posted:

Boss Level is pretty good in this vein, but you'll have to excuse Mel Gibson's presence because all the non-racist actors were busy that week or something :v:

Yeah I had a thoroughly good time with that movie. Far more so than I was expecting. Frank Grillo is an ideal level of cheesy for something like that.

Gibson can gently caress off though, you're right there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just don't think most video games lend themselves all that well to a movie treatment.

Maybe something like MGS or RDR that place a large emphasis on story can work. I heard The Witcher TV show came out OK but that started out with the books so not sure it counts.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I still like the first Silent Hill film. Just a pretty great horror movie.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Silly Newbie posted:

I still like the first Silent Hill film. Just a pretty great horror movie.

:hmmyes:. It really did a decent job capturing the dread the 1st couple games had. IMO it kinda fell apart at the end but :shrug:.

To me, Silent Hill is good for a movie based on a video game, which is an unfortunate qualifier but here we are.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The Witcher fell apart to me when it was clear they were splicing scenes out of chronological order. In a time travel movie, that makes sense. If you're going to do it otherwise, use a loving subtitle with the year at the start of the new time/scene.

It occurred to me yesterday that at least three Disney movies have parents who lock their kids up, and only in one is that shown as the parents as good people still. Frozen, Hunchback, and Tangled. No one ever calls out the parents in Frozen for the neglect they give to both their daughters, or forcing the lie to go on.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

not only does the super Mario bros movie own hard and hold up today (President Koopa is pretty clearly heavily based on New York real estate mogul Donald J Trump, 23 years before he got the republican nomination) but as a kid I always felt totally ripped off there wasn’t a SNES Super Mario Bros: The Movie: The Game, done in the style of the first Toy Story game where each level is kinda vaguely based on a scene

could start with a level in the tunnels under Brooklyn, some stuff about navigating the city, have a couple of mode 7 “3d” levels for driving the car and sledding on the goomba mattress, etc

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Never will understand why they put so much makeup on Colin Farrell to look like this when they could have just cast Richard Kind in the first place.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BiggerBoat posted:

I just don't think most video games lend themselves all that well to a movie treatment.
Have you ever seen how videogames get depicted within movies? It's always either "an xbox jacks you directly into the matrix" or "the most modern game our writers have seen is pac-man". You're not going to make a great film about something you don't care about.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The new Jumanjis kept reminding me of PS1 games like Lost World...which is weird cause they weren't actually anything like Lost World. So I guess they just got the vibe right?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Android Apocalypse posted:

:hmmyes:. It really did a decent job capturing the dread the 1st couple games had. IMO it kinda fell apart at the end but :shrug:.

To me, Silent Hill is good for a movie based on a video game, which is an unfortunate qualifier but here we are.

I've heard Silent Hill was pretty good for what it was but never checked it out because it still peeves me that they decided to change the narrative from "dad looking for his daughter" to "mom looking for her daughter" because the former wasn't as :airquote:believable:airquote:

fake edit: Jesus, according to Wikipedia it is actually kind of worse than I remember:

the Silent Hill (film) Wikipedia page posted:

The director of the film made a significant departure from the original source and replaced the main character with a woman, Rose Da Silva. Cristophe and the writers suddenly realized that they were working "with a completely feminine world". Gans explained that if you look closely at the game and do not take into account the appearance, you can see that the characters behave more like women than like men. They are worried about the child, they are very sensitive and often cry — all this is stereotypical for mother characters.

I know this came out in '06 but also, uh, yikes?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cowslips Warren posted:

It occurred to me yesterday that at least three Disney movies have parents who lock their kids up, and only in one is that shown as the parents as good people still. Frozen, Hunchback, and Tangled. No one ever calls out the parents in Frozen for the neglect they give to both their daughters, or forcing the lie to go on.

Neither movie says "their parents really hosed up, huh" but the second movie is all about contending with the mistakes your ancestors made.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I forgot about Silent Hill. I'd say it was about as good as one could expect it to be. Certain parts of it really nailed the creepy poo poo and I remember right, the effects were pretty good too.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
While we're on the subject of Frozen, here's one thing that really got to me about the sequel. When they find the wreckage of the parent's ship, which had been presumed to have been lost to a storm, there find a hole below the waterline as if it got hit by a torpedo. We encounter exactly one entity in the films capable of inflicting that manner of damage, and by the end of things it's Elsa's new best friend.

Her pet horse murdered he parents and she doesn't even care.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Or maybe it just hit a rock but okay I guess. What I disliked about frozen 2 is it was bad, the songs were bad, the characters split up badly, they kill Olaf and then being him back like 10 minutes later. Just bad bad bad.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My daughters watched Frozen basically on repeat between 2015 when my oldest was old enough for it to 2019 when the second one came out. My oldest daughter had a whole dance routine for Let It Go, where she would get dressed up in her Elsa outfit and then pause the video and change into her other Elsa outfit when Elsa made herself the white ice dress.

I took them to see the second one in the cinema, and they haven't watched either of them since.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
They should have destroyed the city at the end of 2 instead of chickening out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pilchenstein posted:

Have you ever seen how videogames get depicted within movies? It's always either "an xbox jacks you directly into the matrix" or "the most modern game our writers have seen is pac-man". You're not going to make a great film about something you don't care about.

Yeah, it's this. We're only just barely starting to get movies made by people who actually grew up with video games, rather than boomers who see them as incomprehensible kiddy poo poo.

Though does remind me that Jumanji 2 definitely nails a very specific video game vibe; not just the formula but the whole game comes off as specifically a PS1 era adventure game. (Fitting the time in which the game is first unearthed, and of course having one character be totally-not-Lara Croft)

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I've heard Silent Hill was pretty good for what it was but never checked it out because it still peeves me that they decided to change the narrative from "dad looking for his daughter" to "mom looking for her daughter" because the former wasn't as :airquote:believable:airquote:

The wirter/director's original script centred around a mother lookign for her daughter through Silent Hill, only to find a bunch of other mothers who had abandoned their child only to regret it later. As the protagonist delved deeper into the city, she keeps encountering insane women who want to take her child as their own, because they think that's the only way to escape Silent Hill. Taking the idea from the games of Silent Hill as a personalised hell for people with secret regrets and going with a new original story. Then the studio said "Where are the dudes?" and demanded a rewrite.

I genuinely wish I could get my hands on the original script to have a read. I love the games, and everything about the first draft sounds amazing.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Frozen had a few good songs and a horrible mess of a plot. Frozen 2 didn't even have any real good songs.

And of all the stupid loving things in Frozen 2, the biggest was making Elsa some Avatar like person, when ice is a loving part of a water element. Disney could have just made her an avatar of winter, and had three others be avatars of spring, summer, and fall. And that could explain why the locked up forest never had winter because Elsa was never there.

Frozen 2 was a mess. Like how Ralph Breaks the Internet made me realize Disney makes far more lovely sequels now than even in their sequelitis days. At least Cinderella 3 was good.

IIMM: no matter the movie or TV show, if there is ever an argument with a pregnant woman, she will go into labor right then. And she will deliver the baby usually within 2-5 minutes of screen time, with a few cries, no blood, and a perfect baby. The argument forgotten. Like, I don't want or need to see anything but that, but you can seriously just have the mom off screen while in labor and have it last, show-wise, more than the time it takes to thaw a TV dinner.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

IshmaelZarkov posted:

The wirter/director's original script centred around a mother lookign for her daughter through Silent Hill, only to find a bunch of other mothers who had abandoned their child only to regret it later. As the protagonist delved deeper into the city, she keeps encountering insane women who want to take her child as their own, because they think that's the only way to escape Silent Hill. Taking the idea from the games of Silent Hill as a personalised hell for people with secret regrets and going with a new original story. Then the studio said "Where are the dudes?" and demanded a rewrite.

I genuinely wish I could get my hands on the original script to have a read. I love the games, and everything about the first draft sounds amazing.

That sounds pretty cool, that'd be a good sequel, or something like it, to follow the same arc the first two games took.

As is, the first movie is a pretty good retelling of the first game, except for the exposition dump at the end. For a movie based on a game that was famously obtuse about its plot and what was actually occurring, having everything explained to the audience minutes from the ending smells of some executive reading the script and getting confused.

Edit: Forgot there was a sequel movie lol, that one was not good.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I liked the Silent Hill sequel, but yeah it's not great.

Also since they didn't like Sean Bean in the 1st one they felt obligated to kill him in this one.

I think one reason I enjoyed Silent Hill a lot was because Sean Bean didn't die, which felt like a weird subversion of general expectations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The second movie is based on SH3 so it makes sense he gets murked

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Silent Hill 2 always seemed like the easiest to adapt into a film so it’s weird that they did 1 & 3 instead.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Oh I didn't know that; that would've been interesting for sure, frankly maybe moreso than the actual first game's original plot. I just have beef with the idea that caring for the well-being of ones children/crying about it is a distinctly gendered concept. That's strange to me

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was just surprised they made a blockbuster film who's sole plot point was circumcision. :colbert:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Silent Hill 2 always seemed like the easiest to adapt into a film so it’s weird that they did 1 & 3 instead.

Given that quote from the director posted above, he probably saw James being distraught over his dead wife and couldn't comprehend a man having emotions.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Michael Keaton is returning as Batman

...in The Flash.

Frankly, I'm not sure if getting irritated by that is all that irrational.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crowetron posted:

Given that quote from the director posted above, he probably saw James being distraught over his dead wife and couldn't comprehend a man having emotions.

Let alone a man being emotionally vulnerable, as a plot point no less.

The horror genre is in a lot of ways incredibly conservative to the point of regressive. That and being a video game adaptation, which to anyone over a certain age especially in Hollywood the source material just seems to register as white noise.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Let alone a man being emotionally vulnerable, as a plot point no less.

The horror genre is in a lot of ways incredibly conservative to the point of regressive.

The 2018 Halloween is loaded with all kinds of subtext about its characters becoming messed up or pathetic for stepping out of their traditional gender role. I don't know how much of that was intended but it's really all over the place.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

One of the Silent Hill games (I forget which one) is largely a beat for beat rip off of Jacob's Ladder so in a sense we already got that movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The highest rated videogame movie of all time is based on ubisofts game Werewolves which I nearly 100% assure you've never heard of because in the world of werewolves/mafia/vote the traitor out games the game Among Us obliterated the competition in a time when werewolves was already dead.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Barudak posted:

The highest rated videogame movie of all time is based on ubisofts game Werewolves which I nearly 100% assure you've never heard of because in the world of werewolves/mafia/vote the traitor out games the game Among Us obliterated the competition in a time when werewolves was already dead.

What's the movie? The Thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

What's the movie? The Thing?

Werewolves Within is what I assume he means. Came out this year.