Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, there's not really a generalist bow user. They're probably the most diverse weapon type in the game in the game. You have physical dps, elemental dps, off-field dps, healers, shielders, venti, childe barely even using his bow attacks, etc. compare that to claymore where almost all of them are hard carries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The issue is their BP weapon is weird. Alley Hunter is awesome as it has a damage substat and an off field damage passive but it's weapon banner only.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Huh, I guess Aloy really is the first bow user whose entire kit is worth leveling. Everyone else has a talent you can leave at 1 and not feel bad about it. Except Tartaglia, but we all know about his quirks.

Attack: Diona/Venti/Sara
Skill: Ganyu
Burst: Fischl/Yoimiya
Amber: Amber

The thing is, Stringless would be a great general option for Aloy if not for the EM substat made with Fischl in mind (though it would work for melt). It's funny how Fischl also has another bow clearly designed for her.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 18, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Stringless is for Venti! Making mitternicht's waltz as well as compound bow is very strange though, two weapons exclusively for a niche nobody plays (you could say the same of crescent pike + dragonspine spear tbqh).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you can always run her as a melt nuke and enjoy that sweet EM

which makes me realize i have never tried this on bomber Amber, oops

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

No Wave posted:

Stringless is for Venti! Making mitternicht's waltz as well as compound bow is very strange though, two weapons exclusively for a niche nobody plays (you could say the same of crescent pike + dragonspine spear tbqh).

Crescent pike is still good for using XL as a phys carry in early and midgame.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I just run Sacrificial Bow on Aloy. It's very satisfying to double up on the grenade.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Pope Urbane II posted:

Crescent pike is still good for using XL as a phys carry in early and midgame.

Is it just the weapon, or is it somehow particularly good on Xiangling? Does she have better normals than other polearm users?

edit: oh yeah she's free

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Redmark posted:

Is it just the weapon, or is it somehow particularly good on Xiangling? Does she have better normals than other polearm users?

she attacks really fast so she can use the passive pretty well to lay on extra damage. She was the OG phys carry for newbies who were looking for an upgrade from their barebones "have traveler smack thing with sword" comps.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Redmark posted:

Crescent pike scales really well with fast/multihit attacks.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the other thing was that she had 2-hit and 4-hit attacks in her combo, and each individual hit of those attacks would trigger the additional damage passive. which then benefitted from phys% bonuses/shred and could also crit

but between phys falling off and future polearm characters not having designs nearly as catered to the Pike, it wasn't such a huge deal anymore

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
My lvl 80 C5 XL is still using a Crescent Pike. Should I replace it with The Catch?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Boat Stuck posted:

My lvl 80 C5 XL is still using a Crescent Pike. Should I replace it with The Catch?

depends on what you're using her for, if you're still relying on her as a physical DPS, then no, but xiangling's optimal use case is as a pyro off-field DPS, in which case the Catch is much, much better.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RareAcumen posted:

More people should post their teapot's, because it's nice to look at them but I am absolutely terrible at in game decorating for everything.

my teapot is just the 6 fields, smithy building, alchemy table, and then enough dogs to hit the furniture cap
it's only like 5 dogs.... mihoyo please reduce the dogs' capacity cost

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

my teapot is just the 6 fields, smithy building, alchemy table, and then enough dogs to hit the furniture cap
it's only like 5 dogs.... mihoyo please reduce the dogs' capacity cost
You can put more dogs inside
And in every room
And in every one of the outdoor sub-areas

Load rooms up with cats. Load fields up with dogs. Companions can pound sand as soon as they've given me their gifts for building them fountains and poo poo.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The problem for me of raising Ayaka to level 80 is I need Azhdaha’s challenge reward to raise talents past level 6.

Man gently caress that boss. Though I guess it’s telling me to invest more in shield characters.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've done the math recently and even if I get every character that uses him and 9/9/9 all of them I don't need any more childe boss mats (Childe has fewer characters that use him vs wolf/andrius and we werent getting boss mats for long before golden house released). It feels weird to skip a boss, especially my favorite one, but it's looking like it's time.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

theblackw0lf posted:

The problem for me of raising Ayaka to level 80 is I need Azhdaha’s challenge reward to raise talents past level 6.

Man gently caress that boss. Though I guess it’s telling me to invest more in shield characters.

u can always get on discord and ask for a carry from goons. I can solo Azdaha with Ganyu, even on ice infusion, for instance, and some goons have C2 Zhongli to give you big boy shields too. Or they can bring a kokomi/qiqi and power heal through the damage for the "use no shields" achievement on Azdaha.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No Wave posted:

I've done the math recently and even if I get every character that uses him and 9/9/9 all of them I don't need any more childe boss mats (Childe has fewer characters that use him vs wolf/andrius and we werent getting boss mats for long before golden house released). It feels weird to skip a boss, especially my favorite one, but it's looking like it's time.

BILLETS

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is it resource positive to use 60 resin boss fights? I’ve been skipping them since they added the fifth.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

kater posted:

Is it resource positive to use 60 resin boss fights? I’ve been skipping them since they added the fifth.

for artifacts and ascension pieces, no. But if you need boss mats, its impossible to get them elsewhere, so the resin efficiency is whatever value you attach to the drops. Bosses for billets/solvents is kind of expensive at 60 resin, though, due to the low drop chance, even at WL8. There's a lot of stuff you could do with that extra 60 resin.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Albedo is planned to see a re-release fairly soon and since Itto looks pretty fun and I'm swimming in gems for the moment I'm thinking about mono-Geo teams which will use Itto and Gorou. Albedo's name has come up frequently for team comps and I know literally nothing about him. What's his deal? Is he good? How does he work with geo comps specifically? Hypothetically, if I have other Geo options to stick with the new Geos coming out is Albedo going to be worth gems?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

kater posted:

Compared to a normal boss you get 1.5x as many gemstones, 1.25x as many gold artifacts, 2x as many blue+purple artifacts.

I think weekly bosses are worth doing at 60 if you want to accelerate your gemstone acquisition rate, not very worth it otherwise (ofc always do them if you still want to the 7/8/9/10 talent mats).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 18, 2021

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

It's worth watching the "no hit solo kaeya azdaha fight" video to get an idea of how to avoid taking any damage even without shields. Then again, shield characters/generators aren't exactly uncommon so it shouldn't hurt much to just slam one in your bossing team if that fight consistently gives you trouble.

And my long-term teapot goal is a bamboo grove full of boars. Only got 5 so far, but there's not much I can do about the salesman's inventory.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

If you're stressed about the bosses, just do the level 80 versions. I don't think the differences in rewards are that high between the 80 and 90 versions. I've gotten billets and plenty of materials doing the 80 ones.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

But skipping bosses means fewer chances at billets

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The one benefit to rolling for Albedo and skipping out on 2.4 (who is probably Shenhe) is that they're making his possible BiS sword a welfare item.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Meiteron posted:

Albedo is planned to see a re-release fairly soon and since Itto looks pretty fun and I'm swimming in gems for the moment I'm thinking about mono-Geo teams which will use Itto and Gorou. Albedo's name has come up frequently for team comps and I know literally nothing about him. What's his deal? Is he good? How does he work with geo comps specifically? Hypothetically, if I have other Geo options to stick with the new Geos coming out is Albedo going to be worth gems?

Its just that his E has constant duration and applies damage agnostically. Thats it. He does damage while your carry can do damage as well. If Itto ends up being good you'll want him to increase the parties total damage output. If Itto is bad then he'll still be solid damage because of his new weapon and gear set and you'll want to run him with Ning.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The billet drop rate looks like 12%. I'm not that eager to skip bosses, I don't mind using all monday resin+the weekly transient on it, plus I still like getting gemstones as I want to level every character to 80/90. But it's something for me to keep in mind.

Tae posted:

The one benefit to rolling for Albedo and skipping out on 2.4 (who is probably Shenhe) is that they're making his possible BiS sword a welfare item.
It's better than harbinger by a lot, like 15%. The weapon passive is effectively 5 free talent levels on his E. Mihoyo seems to agree that this character came out a bit undertuned...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Albedo is an off field dps with a low cooldown, low energy burst, who generates a lot of particles. Hes geo fischl only his burst actually does good damage. He's the only geo character who fills this role at the moment.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

theblackw0lf posted:

He forced me to build Zhongli and now I'm spoiled in overworld if I don't have him lol

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Also hoarding dream solvents so you can more quickly juice up new characters who use new boss mats.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Is there even anyone besides Albedo who can make use of that sword? Maybe Kaeya? What a choice for a free event weapon.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Maybe it could be useful for Geo MC in a tri-geo Gorou team? I'm not sure if the damage would be worth it from just base defense + Gorou buff though.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Come to think of it, Albedo having the highest* DEF in the game is funny because he barely spends time on field for the main purpose of the stat to matter.

*I guess technically Noelle's is higher once her ascension stat is calculated

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 18, 2021

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah, i figure def is just going to be a "geo stat" primarily going forward, so albedo has it to scale with different team buffs from other geo characters

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
As someone that's been running Albedo the last couple weeks coincidentally before the leaks, it's really annoying and bad how many times his skill does not work and he just doesn't exist.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Endorph posted:

Albedo is an off field dps with a low cooldown, low energy burst, who generates a lot of particles. Hes geo fischl only his burst actually does good damage. He's the only geo character who fills this role at the moment.

Basically this.

Going into the specifics, Albedo's kit leans on his skill, which sets down a Geo construct flower. When an enemy takes damage while they're within a certain distance of the flower (the radius is roughly 2-3 steps wider than a Bennett burst—pretty substantial), the flower deals AoE Geo damage near said enemy (based on Albedo's DEF stat). This proc has a 2 second cooldown. When it hits, it also has a 67% chance to generate a Geo elemental particle.
The advantages of this skill are:
  • Consistent off-field damage, since the flower construct procs no matter which character is active.
  • Pretty good Geo particle generation—roughly 1 per 2 seconds.
  • Lasts 30 seconds, i.e. three times as long as Oz.
  • Decent range with a 6-second cooldown, so it's easy to position and reposition.
  • Scales off of DEF, so Albedo doesn't compete with your other characters for artifacts and weapons and can happily use the 3* weapon Harbinger of Dawn to get extra crit rate + crit damage.
The skill's biggest disadvantage is that enemies need to take damage for the flower to proc, so (like Raiden) he can't do much against shielded enemies like Abyss Mages. Its second-biggest disadvantage is a problem with Geo constructs in general—a gentle tap from a boss will destroy them. You can overcome this with deliberate positioning, by and large. The flower is pretty low to the ground, which makes boss attacks slightly more likely to miss it compared to the other characters' bulkier Geo constructs.

Albedo's burst deals an initial hit of damage; then, if his construct is on the field, it deals 7 hits of AoE damage. Each hit is located near one of up to 7 enemies within the construct's usual proc radius. If there are less than 7 enemies within the proc radius, the remaining hits spawn randomly within it. The burst costs 40 energy and has good multipliers (the initial hit is roughly equivalent to Hu Tao's burst at low HP), but its damage is entirely ATK-based unless you have Albedo at C2+, so his overall damage suffers a bit from split-scaling.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
The geo constructs being inconsistent is one of my biggest hang-ups about whether to roll or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Man Tsurumi’s quest line was really great. Almost as good as Kazami’s.

Why can’t the main stories be this good? (Though I did think Inazuma’s Archon Quest was the strongest of the three so far).