Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Madkal posted:

Was DeKnight working with Perlmutter because I would think that working with him and all the lovely things he did would really make someone want to quit (I can't remember if Perlmutter had any say with the Netflix stuff or not).

Pelrmutter doesn't have much to do with anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought Perlmutter was managing the TV side of Marvel with Loeb.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Madkal posted:

Perlmutter was Loeb's direct report but as far as I know he didn't interact or work with anyone else on the shows because Perlmutter doesn't interact or work with anyone. That's his whole thing.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 12, 2021

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Madkal posted:

Inhumans was so loving bad because it had Perlmutter's grubby fingers all over it.

"Make it cheap and fast!"

We're talking about a dude who would scream at employees because he saw them "wasting money on notepads" when they could have just torn up computer paper to do the same thing. Dude's a psycho and fit right into the Trump administration.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

E the Shaggy posted:

We're talking about a dude who would scream at employees because he saw them "wasting money on notepads" when they could have just torn up computer paper to do the same thing. Dude's a psycho and fit right into the Trump administration.

He also cut out free drinks at press events. And not like an open bar, like coffee and water.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RevKrule posted:

What kind of reprimand could it possibly have been considering he didn't even admit it until just after he was promoted to EIC?

I could be misremembering, but I thought the people who made him EIC knew about it before they made the decision to make him EIC.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 12, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
multiple people knew

from here: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/12/the-secret-identity-of-marvel-comics-editor/547829/

fun hater fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 13, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

never trust a greg with 3 gs

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Alaois posted:

never trust a greg with 3 gs

Ggreg.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Good times.

https://twitter.com/shelleylopresti/status/1448761612152688640?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I doubt this is true, but writers and artists not being on contract is exactly why they would be able to say this, DC has to pay people they signed a contract with what the contract says, but they don't have to hire anyone they don't want to hire.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Who the hell is Shelly Lopresti?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aaron Loprestri's spouse, I believe. A comic artist who's joined up with CG.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Madkal posted:

Who the hell is Shelly Lopresti?

Wife of Aaron Lopresti, who threw his lot in with Van Sciver to be another one of his goons.

I do think this is real, because EVS knew about the Jon Kent reveal before it happened, making you think that he was getting fed info from a freelancer working on the book.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The colorist of Superman: Son of Kal-El and other DC books retweets and interacts a lot with Comicsgate people on Twitter so that's likely both the source of the Jon Kent leak and the memo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

The colorist of Superman: Son of Kal-El and other DC books retweets and interacts a lot with Comicsgate people on Twitter so that's likely both the source of the Jon Kent leak and the memo.

God, two hours ago he retweeted EVS' video on how comics are at an all time low sales-wise (they are not). Why would you do that working for one of the Big Two?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I followed that link to Twitter, only to find out that Art Thibert, an inker who worked with some of my favorite '90s artists -- Arthur Adams, Jim Lee, Whilce Portacio -- is full-on Comicsgate too.

And Lopresti is disappointing. I loved Justice League: Generation Lost and met him at a convention and got him to sign my two hardcovers. But then again, I met EVS once, long before he became infamous, and asked him to sign an issue of Green Lantern he drew where Geoff Johns had named a minor character after me. Probably shook his hand at the time, but that was probably around 15 years ago.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Grgeg.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

Looks like he got fired. He drank the Kool-Aid of Comicsgate something fierce:

https://twitter.com/GabeEltaeb/status/1449223376212426753?s=20

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

E the Shaggy posted:

What a weird thing to say. It sounds like those evil SJW's saved his life if they pushed him into a life raft from a sinking ship.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

E the Shaggy posted:

Yeah, because the entire comics industry is going to go under before the tiny pack of grifters headed by a guy who's produced two issues in three years. I certainly believe the man whose name is "Beatle" spelled backwards.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

E the Shaggy posted:

good

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yeah, because the entire comics industry is going to go under before the tiny pack of grifters headed by a guy who's produced two issues in three years. I certainly believe the man whose name is "Beatle" spelled backwards.

He's actually only produced one issue. Everything else has been reprints/paper boxes with a frog stamped on it.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/Dinobat2020/status/1450146274691403787?s=20

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Pfft, big companies taking works from original creators and doing whatever the gently caress they feel like with it is the American Way, and especially the firm tradition of comic books at that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It was truth, justice, and the terran way in the Superman/Spider-Man crossover that came out in the 70s. Hope that guy has a time machine so he can make sure to get offended before he was born.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Pretty sure as well that before the 50s tv show it was just "truth and justice" and no third thing at all.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That whole spiel comes from outside of comics, but here's the intro from 1940:

quote:

Faster than an airplane, more powerful than a locomotive, impervious to bullets. "Up in the sky--look!" "It's a giant bird." "It's a plane." "It's SUPERMAN!" And now, Superman--A being no larger than an ordinary man but possessed of powers and abilities never before realized on Earth: able to leap into the air an eighth of a mile at a single bound, hurdle a 20-story building with ease, race a high-powered bullet to its target, lift tremendous weights and rend solid steel in his bare hands as though it were paper. Superman--a strange visitor from a distant planet: champion of the oppressed, physical marvel extraordinary who has sworn to devote his existence on Earth to helping those in need.

It was reworked a couple of years later for the first Fleischer Cartoon:

quote:

[longer Krypton preamble redacted]

Faster than a speeding bullet--More powerful than a locomotive--Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound--the infant of Krypton is now the man of steel, Superman! To best be in a position to use his amazing powers in a never ending battle for truth and justice, Superman has assumed the disguise of Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper.

They tweaked it throughout the run of cartoons, and both the radio serial and the cartoons added "and the American Way" in 1943-1944 at the height of American involvement in World War II, but dropped it after the war.

Gene Yang did a tweet thread I'd just be stealing from about how the phrase was tweaked for the next ten years or so, including a run of "Truth, Tolerance, and Justice".

But anyway yeah, the 1950s George Reeves show is where "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" got burned into everyone's brains.

I'm pretty sure Grant Morrison namechecked "champion of the oppressed" in the 2011 Action Comics run.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

What a PoS Eltaeb is, I can’t stand bigots who hide behind community elders (and one with a disability at that) by namedropping as if to suggest they’re such good people.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

E the Shaggy posted:

What was this?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I follow a lot of artists on social media, and was wondering why people kept posting American Way on any pictures of Superman in the last few days. Guess it's good to know the background, even if it's dumb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Samovar posted:

What was this?

I think

Also f-ck everyone who bothers to type out swear words but then puts a dash in place of the vowel for their angry screeds, either swear or don't swear. don't do the f-cking h-alf -ssed sh-t.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gotta keep your rant about getting fired for being a fascist family friendly

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Really not understanding how saying "thank you" to Jerry Robinson 12 years ago at a con has anything to do with anything, but okay. Big loving deal.

E: Also LOL at the idea that DC has "no right" to make any changes to Jon Kent, a character who didn't exist until like six years ago.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I would love to see Eltaeb describe what 'The American Way' means to him personally. I'm sure it would be the very opposite of enlightening.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Splint Chesthair posted:

Really not understanding how saying "thank you" to Jerry Robinson 12 years ago at a con has anything to do with anything, but okay. Big loving deal.

E: Also LOL at the idea that DC has "no right" to make any changes to Jon Kent, a character who didn't exist until like six years ago.
Also, his grandfather Did A Thing seventy five years ago, so no one can ever say anything mean to his grandson. That's how it works, right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FMguru posted:

Also, his grandfather Did A Thing seventy five years ago, so no one can ever say anything mean to his grandson. That's how it works, right?

My grandpa almost died in WWII as well. It was WWII, a lot of people did. In his case a gunner on an allied ship had a Fog of War incident and fired on them. Many years later they met again in a retirement home and the guy had no memory of it. Then he tried to break into my Grandpa's room insisting Grandpa was the intruder.

Fun times.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bruceski posted:

My grandpa almost died in WWII as well. It was WWII, a lot of people did. In his case a gunner on an allied ship had a Fog of War incident and fired on them. Many years later they met again in a retirement home and the guy had no memory of it. Then he tried to break into my Grandpa's room insisting Grandpa was the intruder.

Fun times.

Are you sure he didn't just hate your grandfather?

It's great that Eltaeb had that bottled up for five years and it took a bisexual comic book character to be the straw that broke the camel's back. Speaks to a sound mind.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

site posted:

gotta keep your rant about getting fired for being a fascist family friendly

Let's go, Branson!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Bruceski posted:

My grandpa almost died in WWII as well.

There are a lot of these stories. My Wife’s Great Uncle shot down and killed in a P38. My great uncle at Normandy. My Grandfather and mother under Nazi occupation. After the Germans shot up the place, the Americans shot it up too. Cousins dying in carpet bombing. WWII was horrifying. War itself is horrifying.

None of it justifies a fictional alien fighting for the “American” way. Red Son Superman is a better hero.