Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

as for views from around the world, i was in iceland for the last month. to get in, you have to provide a negative test and proof of vaccination. i believe the test had to be pcr, but i can't remember. in any case, once you get there, almost everyone is vaccinated and masks are rarely worn. i think the vaccination rate in reykjavik is above 90% at this point. the country is somewhere around there too. whatever the rates are, i went days without seeing a single mask on the streets. the only place that required them was the airport, and that wasn't actually enforced. almost 95% of the people in the airport did abide by the rule, though.

that population was definitely post-covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I always like the data context for these discussions of countries.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1450153630112403456

This thread could use some good news. Also please try to remember top of page pet taxes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm curious what US Winter is going to look like because the Delta wave was pretty nuts. I dont know how to intelligently ask this dumb question but how many people are left which haven't gotten covid nor havent gotten a vaccine yet? Is it possible to expect a repeat of winter 2020, or does 57% of fully vaccinated Americans lessen the chance of triage nightmares?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

I'm curious what US Winter is going to look like because the Delta wave was pretty nuts. I dont know how to intelligently ask this dumb question but how many people are left which haven't gotten covid nor havent gotten a vaccine yet? Is it possible to expect a repeat of winter 2020, or does 57% of fully vaccinated Americans lessen the chance of triage nightmares?

Tbh that's still more than enough unvaccinated for triage nightmares. Alberta has been slammed up here in Canada and they were at like 64%/74% total pop/eligible fully vaccinated after they blew away literally every restriction.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm vaccinated but i still make an effort to avoid being in high risk areas.

so how safe is public transportation?

depends on where you live?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

The 57% figure isn't going to be super helpful as the US has a lot of wild swings from state to state, and even within states, you're going to see vaccination numbers vary between regions and cities. But based on recent personal experiences, I'd recommend against behaviors that are likely to put you in need of a hospital, like for instance a random unexplainable illness that pretty much knocks you out for a week.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Levitate posted:

depends on where you live?

los angeles

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mr Interweb posted:

los angeles

In terms of physical safety, you're fine.

In terms of Covid safety, wear an N95 or better and regularly sanitize your hands. Public transportation is functionally an indoor environment.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mr Interweb posted:

los angeles

I don't live in LA but my impression is that the area is decent at masking guidelines and vaccination, so a quality mask and avoiding rush hour if you can is probably OK depending on your risk tolerance.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

freebooter posted:

Another question for people in various parts of the world: are you still (presuming you were ever) legally obliged to self-isolate if you test positive?

Singapore and yup! If you test positive on an ART test but have no symptoms, you're supposed to self-isolate for a minimum of 3 days and until you get a negative test. If you have mild symptoms and test positive, you're supposed to self-isolate for 10/14 days depending if you're vaccinated or unvaccinated.

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm recalling in Singapore and some other places they install monitoring software on your cellphone and you have to check in a couple times a day. If your phone GPS shows you outside your dwelling you're in deep poo poo.

I think you may be mixing it up with our contact tracing / check-in app. Though the govt's probably used the app's location data in prosecuting people who were breaking quarantine.

In the really early days, the gov would video call people that were under home quarantine, and have them move the phone around to show that they were really at home. If you were considered a close contact or had covid-19, you were either quarantined in a facility or in the hospital.

Now that we've moved to an endemic strategy and having 2-3k cases a day, the gov is stretched way too thin to deal with this, which is why they're telling everyone who has no symptoms and tests positive to just self isolate.

It's been great though! I work at a preschool-childcare and the school's had to close twice in the last three weeks due to staff contacting covid. We just had another possible case today (tested positive on ART, awaiting PCR results), and we're looking at another potential multi-day closure.

e: it was announced two? three? weeks ago that unvaccinated folk were not going to be able to enter malls and dine-in anywhere. 17k people have gotten their first shot since then.

mania fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 18, 2021

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9v6q5YzbGA

It's a self solving problem at least.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Heard on the radio this morning that Melbourne, as we approach the end of lockdown on Thursday, currently has more active cases than the entire country of Spain. (Not per capita, just flat out more cases.) I checked and it's true, and I assumed it was because testing (understandably) becomes more lax once everyone is vaccinated and living with COVID, but I looked it up and nope - Spain's test positivity rate is currently 2% and I know Melbourne was pushing 3% over the past few weeks. They didn't mention Spain was also recording 20,000+ cases a day for a while a few months ago, and I suppose with a lot of Europe and North America they haven't just got to where they are from vaccination but also from people (including and probably even especially anti-mask/lockdown types) actually catching and surviving COVID, but it's still a pretty stark contrast.

Sydney meanwhile managed to push its curve down long before ending lockdown and has now reopened with 200ish cases a day. Melbourne lately has been around 1800-2200 per day.

Last year I felt proud and relieved that this city so successfully crushed COVID with a four-month lockdown and was genuinely pleased about the prospect of reopening and resuming normal life. Now it's just making me feel anxious and stressed.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

freebooter posted:

Last year I felt proud and relieved that this city so successfully crushed COVID with a four-month lockdown and was genuinely pleased about the prospect of reopening and resuming normal life. Now it's just making me feel anxious and stressed.

If you stay anxious and stressed, you barely notice when your failing nation-state causes you additional anxiety and and stress.

:eng101:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I would suggest trying to not stay anxious and stressed 24/7, to the best of your ability. It is not good for your mental or physical health.

Sometimes that means unplugging a little bit.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Unfortunately I'm also starting a job in a few weeks were it won't be possible to WFH, and also my partner is immunocompromised (vaccinated, but we're not sure how effective it will be). I would be way, way less stressed if not for those two factors.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
I just got a Pfizer booster yesterday because I realized I could. Fingers crossed I can keep weaving my way around catching this drat thing.

Curious if there's any data available re: what one's coverage is ~six months after initial vaccination versus with the booster?

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

freebooter posted:

Unfortunately I'm also starting a job in a few weeks were it won't be possible to WFH, and also my partner is immunocompromised (vaccinated, but we're not sure how effective it will be). I would be way, way less stressed if not for those two factors.

Those are two major factors.

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is going to the gym, as mine is a kickboxing gym. That said, it only has about 8 people there at a time, but the space is smaller...so I dunno.

I'll still be going though so I guess it doesn't bother me that much, but I also have the privilege of working from home and not having anyone immunocompromised at home. So much of the next few months is going to be personal calculus.

Kro-Bar posted:

I just got a Pfizer booster yesterday because I realized I could. Fingers crossed I can keep weaving my way around catching this drat thing.

Curious if there's any data available re: what one's coverage is ~six months after initial vaccination versus with the booster?

quote:

The effectiveness of Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine against infection tumbles over several months, falling from a peak of 88% a month after receiving the two-shot series to 47% six months later, according to an observational study published Monday in the peer-reviewed journal The Lancet.

While the two-dose mRNA vaccine’s efficacy against infection wanes, its protection against Covid-related hospitalizations persists, remaining 90% effective for all coronavirus variants of concern — including delta — for at least six months, according to the study, which was funded by Pfizer.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/04/pfizer-covid-vaccine-protection-against-infection-tumbles-to-47percent-study-confirms.html

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Thanks for this! I'm guessing it's too early to know how much added protection the booster gives since they've only recently started rolling out?

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Kro-Bar posted:

Thanks for this! I'm guessing it's too early to know how much added protection the booster gives since they've only recently started rolling out?

We have information on that too, though I can't seem to find any handy charts or anything right now. We know that vaccine boosters are effective and create a shitload of antibodies, even moreso than the second dose.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ragnarok the Red posted:

I’ve had relatives pushing me to move back home to Dallas and I was worried about this. :suicide:

imo don't consider moving back to Texas until we get through another winter without the power grid failing. I didn't particularly want to come back but the gap on my resume was getting too long so I needed to take the job I got. If you don't need to, I'd hold off living here for a bit.

Today was my first day of work. While sitting in my office with my door closed, a co-worker knocked on the door, came inside, as I started to put my mask on, he told me not to worry about that, and that he was only wearing his because he had to go meet a client. Couldn't really have the reaction I wanted to in that situation because that would be a terrible way to meet co-workers on day 1.

Where I work, mask use might be 30% at best if I had to guess.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 19, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Oregon Health & Science University thinks that Oregon will approach herd immunity sometime in the next 2-3 months, largely due to enough people getting infected that the pool of uninfected/unvaccinated people becomes small enough to make community spread more difficult. Though they're looking at it less in terms of "COVID will go away" and more in terms of "hospitals will hopefully not get slammed again."

Note that this forecast explicitly assumes we'll have at least another 177K people infected over that timeframe.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Is covid endemic, or will we reach herd immunity? Getting a lot of mixed messages lately.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gio posted:

Is covid endemic, or will we reach herd immunity? Getting a lot of mixed messages lately.

Neither.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gio posted:

If by 'endemic' you mean "covid is never going to disappear, we will never reach zero-covid status" then yes, it is endemic. Reaching herd immunity is something that can happen in this situation, though IMO it is going to take many more years for us to get there.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Gio posted:

What I've seen said is we have another 1-3 years of it, accounting for a realistic government response.

Of course basically nobody in this thread is qualified to give a real answer.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

What I've seen said is we have another 1-3 years of it, accounting for a realistic government response.

Of course basically nobody in this thread is qualified to give a real answer.

What I’ve seen says Oregon will reach herd immunity in 2-3 months.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Pullin a trump thinking COVID’s just gonna magically go away in [2-3 months],[1-3 years],[4-8 generations] depending on your level of doomerism

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Just over and over people stating Covid will be over, with wildly incontrovertible evidence of the opposite poking politicians in the eyes like the three stooges

You’re as dumb as those cubic fit graphs that showed Covid would have negative cases by may 2020

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

nexous posted:

Just over and over people stating Covid will be over, with wildly incontrovertible evidence of the opposite poking politicians in the eyes like the three stooges

You’re as dumb as those cubic fit graphs that showed Covid would have negative cases by may 2020

lol bang got'em, quote me over in the other thread I am absolutely pwned

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Oh dang this is d&d so I’m gonna need you to cite your sources regarding how we can achieve herd immunity to a virus with an r0 of 6-8. That means you have to bring the r0 to <1 with what? A non-sterilizing vaccine? A non-sterilizing immune response to an actual infection? Cloth masks? Plastic dividers? What is your actual plan to achieve herd immunity.

It would require something along the lines of simultaneously vaccinating or purposely infecting every person on earth within a 2 month period.

Otherwise your plan is akin to “thoughts and prayers” that the virus will somehow mutate to be less deadly even though there is no selection pressure for this to happen and it becomes a common cold. Meanwhile millions die while we wait for humans to evolve to die less from Covid.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

nexous posted:

Oh dang this is d&d so I’m gonna need you to cite your sources regarding how we can achieve herd immunity to a virus with an r0 of 6-8. That means you have to bring the r0 to <1 with what? A non-sterilizing vaccine? A non-sterilizing immune response to an actual infection? Cloth masks? Plastic dividers? What is your actual plan to achieve herd immunity.

It would require something along the lines of simultaneously vaccinating or purposely infecting every person on earth within a 2 month period.

Otherwise your plan is akin to “thoughts and prayers” that the virus will somehow mutate to be less deadly even though there is no selection pressure for this to happen and it becomes a common cold. Meanwhile millions die while we wait for humans to evolve to die less from Covid.

Oh poo poo I didn't know about any of this stuff and I was definitely just posting "OPEN BIDEN" over and over. Thank goodness you came to bless the thread by speaking truth to power.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Oregon Health & Science University thinks that Oregon will approach herd immunity sometime in the next 2-3 months, largely due to enough people getting infected that the pool of uninfected/unvaccinated people becomes small enough to make community spread more difficult. Though they're looking at it less in terms of "COVID will go away" and more in terms of "hospitals will hopefully not get slammed again."

Note that this forecast explicitly assumes we'll have at least another 177K people infected over that timeframe.

I wish there was accountability for predictions like this. other OHSU predictions

OHSU says Oregon close to turning corner on covid - published Apr 30 2021

and then 2 months of turning the corner

Oregon again tops 1,000 coronavirus cases, predicts nearly 1,200 per day by mid-August - published Jul 30 2021

even here, Oregon hit this by Aug 8th and were nearly twice this prediction in the 7 day average on Aug 17 (not sure why they pegged their prediction to that Tuesday... it's in the article)

and even more recently

OHSU predict deaths to peak next week - published Sept 18 2021

oops

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nexous posted:

"r0" has been below 1 since like, mid august.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
mods please change my name to R-Naughty

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
FWIW I sure don't know whether 1-3 years is going to be true, and certainly wouldn't place any money on it, but that's what someone working in Public Health said, and they have not been optimistic about government response.

Asking in this thread is kinda pointless because it's doubtful anyone knows, let alone someone who posts on this forum.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Embrace the Great Barrington Declaration and face to bloodshed

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"r0" has been below 1 since like, mid august.
This is a really good point. Thank you for this.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slorb
May 14, 2002
Pfizer approval for 5-11 might be enough to get herd immunity as it will basically halve the unvaccinated population in low hesitancy areas.

If you combine 90+ percent vaccination levels with significant natural immunity from previous outbreaks and regular boosters I think herd immunity is plausible.

You might need all three legs of that tripod to get there though.