Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant

Escape From Noise posted:

I'm here crankin' out the recipes (I don't actually really uderstand water chemistry)

So far I've made recipes for: that awful fruit sour with lactose, an American pale ale, a really basic saison, and a biere de Noel, as well as tweaked my old Belgian dark strong recipe. Thinking I'll look at my old Belgian pale and see if that needs updating, then probably do the same with the biere de garde and biere de Mars, then maybe make a Belgian golden strong? I think it's a good base for fruit beers. I dunno. Should probably make a west coast IPA and a NEIPA recipe at some point.

The Albarino beer I made w/ the brewery was a biere de garde w/ I think mostly mosaic? and it worked really well. You could probably do something similar with a lot of yellow/white stone fruit or a variety of tropical fruit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

I'm getting really tired of middle and upper management reminding us how awful they think it is that they can't meet with us in person.

Like, dude, I get you have a need to interact with people, but I have a similar need to get my loving work done on time, and maybe this is a good way to meet in the middle? No? Okay, sure, virtual meetings are the worst thing ever.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm very close to pulling a Little Bobby Tables after changing my phone number, then disappearing.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

This is a thing exactly two people will understand and I'm ok with that.

Escape From Noise

I almost had A Moment yesterday because of some very Japanese office stuff.

We don't have a proper hydrometer at the moment. For those who don't know what a hydrometer is it looks like this

Basically, a hydrometer is used to measure the amount of stuff dissolved in a liquid. In brewing you need to take an initial reading when you've brewed your wort (malt tea with all the sugar you're goingto ferment into beer) to measure the amount of sugar you've gotten from the malt (as well as other things), during fermentation you take samples to measure progress, and when fermentation has finished, you take a final reading. During fermentation the hydrometer falls deeper and deeper into the liquid because the yeast is consuming the sugar and converting it into alcohol, and on top of the sugar going away, the alcohol it becomes is lighter than water. Using the initial gravity and final gravity reading you can determine the alcohol percentage of your beer. So, as a brewery, that's pretty key for tax purposes. Also I really need to know the progress of one of the beers because I need to do some things right at the tail end of fermentation to get it right.

Anyways, I'd told them we needed a new hydrometer, since the one they'd gotten measures way lower on the scale than is useful for almost any beer I could possibly make. I sent them one that's approved by the tax office or something. I dunno. It costs 4400 yen (~$38.50). I asked the restaurant manager (who I report to with most things) about it yesterday and was told that they were waiting for approval from the head office to purchace it an it'd probably take clost to 2 weeks for the request to make it's way to the top of the company, collecting stamps as it went. They showed me the progress on a program that I guess tracks this? I don't blame the restaurant manager, he's doing things the way he has to, but I need this thing yesterday and it's a piece of equipment that costs less than 40 bucks when most things I need cost several hundred or several thousand bucks. I texted the main manager of the restaurant and said that this was critical, and told a few people as well. They talked to some people, and told my boss he could go ahead and order the hydrometer.

So, in the end, it wasn't that bad. Getting places up and running is always a bit of a headache, so some issues are just going to happen, especially when you're in a larger organization that, while interested in seeing the project succeed maybe, has no real knowledge of how to run things. I was expecting a real uphill battle trying to explain how critical this dumb little piece of equipment was (I wanted to get 2 in case I drop one or something. May see about putting in a request for that), but I was able to just tell them it was really necissary and they actually listened! I'm just so used to getting stonewalled in these situations by the management, so while this place has it's dumb issues, I actually feel like it's a much better situation already.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Escape From Noise

idiotsavant posted:

The Albarino beer I made w/ the brewery was a biere de garde w/ I think mostly mosaic? and it worked really well. You could probably do something similar with a lot of yellow/white stone fruit or a variety of tropical fruit

Hm that's an interesting idea. The plan at the moment was to do some basic fruit like raspberry, cherry, apricot, or peach (leaning towards apricot) with a Belgian golden strong, but I'll keep that in mind. I also need to figure out what beers to make before that that I can crop the yeast from. Probably start with a Belgian pale, not sure what to do after that. I suppose I could do a non fruited Belgian golden strong, but I don't know. Maybe too much of the same.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

hot cocoa on the couch

I almost had A Moment yesterday because of some very Japanese office stuff.

We don't have a proper hydrometer at the moment. For those who don't know what a hydrometer is it looks like this

Basically, a hydrometer is used to measure the amount of stuff dissolved in a liquid. In brewing you need to take an initial reading when you've brewed your wort (malt tea with all the sugar you're goingto ferment into beer) to measure the amount of sugar you've gotten from the malt (as well as other things), during fermentation you take samples to measure progress, and when fermentation has finished, you take a final reading. During fermentation the hydrometer falls deeper and deeper into the liquid because the yeast is consuming the sugar and converting it into alcohol, and on top of the sugar going away, the alcohol it becomes is lighter than water. Using the initial gravity and final gravity reading you can determine the alcohol percentage of your beer. So, as a brewery, that's pretty key for tax purposes. Also I really need to know the progress of one of the beers because I need to do some things right at the tail end of fermentation to get it right.

Anyways, I'd told them we needed a new hydrometer, since the one they'd gotten measures way lower on the scale than is useful for almost any beer I could possibly make. I sent them one that's approved by the tax office or something. I dunno. It costs 4400 yen (~$38.50). I asked the restaurant manager (who I report to with most things) about it yesterday and was told that they were waiting for approval from the head office to purchace it an it'd probably take clost to 2 weeks for the request to make it's way to the top of the company, collecting stamps as it went. They showed me the progress on a program that I guess tracks this? I don't blame the restaurant manager, he's doing things the way he has to, but I need this thing yesterday and it's a piece of equipment that costs less than 40 bucks when most things I need cost several hundred or several thousand bucks. I texted the main manager of the restaurant and said that this was critical, and told a few people as well. They talked to some people, and told my boss he could go ahead and order the hydrometer.

So, in the end, it wasn't that bad. Getting places up and running is always a bit of a headache, so some issues are just going to happen, especially when you're in a larger organization that, while interested in seeing the project succeed maybe, has no real knowledge of how to run things. I was expecting a real uphill battle trying to explain how critical this dumb little piece of equipment was (I wanted to get 2 in case I drop one or something. May see about putting in a request for that), but I was able to just tell them it was really necissary and they actually listened! I'm just so used to getting stonewalled in these situations by the management, so while this place has it's dumb issues, I actually feel like it's a much better situation already.

lol what the. this brewery sounds crazy, they have to be convinced to measure abv? no refractometer?

https://i.imgur.com/W7qTiB3.mp4

a LEGENDARY sig by the LEGENDARY LAP

Escape From Noise

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol what the. this brewery sounds crazy, they have to be convinced to measure abv? no refractometer?

It's more that it's managed by a larger restaurant management company that's headquartered on the other side of Osaka. I think they understand that they need to measure alcohol, but I doubt any of them know how that's done and the company has weird rules in place about getting official approval before making certain purchases.

I forgot to mention I did get initial readings using the hydrometer at some other places in the area. They did get me a hydrometer, but it wasn't for the right scale. TBF, I could take some responsibility for not communicating what we needed. It's just goofy Japanese bureaucracy and corporate office culture stuff.

At least it didn't take a bunch of convincing. I tried to convince the owner at the last place he needed to ferment his ales at 20℃ for two weeks, not one, before cold crashing, and that that decision should be based on sensory analysis on top of instrument readings. For some reason he was convinced that the final drop in pH meant fermentation was over (???), then complained that the beer had a lot of diacatyl and asked me how to fix it. He eventually allowed for 2 weeks of fermentation, but cut lagering times I think. But he was so focused on product turnover, he went back on that as soon as it was inconvenient for him, but I was already on my way out. He also made everyone work a crazy shift schedule which makes zero sense in a production facility setting and would constantly change the schedule around so that either I was slammed or had nothing to do, in which case my schedule might get changed again at the last minute, because it's not like I had a life outside of work. Dude was also cheap as gently caress and always tried to do things for the least amount of money possible, leading to all kinds of production time and quality issues.

The owner of the brewery I worked at before that wouldn't stick to the production schedule we'd make together because he was constantly promising people special beers and convincing himself they wanted it ASAP so I was constantly dumping liquid yeast after one use. I had to work hard to convince him to stop bottling from kegs. He was also obsessed with bottling, even when keg sales started picking up after we'd been opened for a while and only cut back when we literally had no room in the walk-in, so he installed two new ones outside. This was for a 500 liter system. On top of that, hewas an abusive megalomaniac who tried to get me blackballed from the industry and possibly get me deported with social media posts using my full name in both Japanese and English when I put in my notice after he started to overwork me and his micromanaging got really bad.

A lot of brewery owners are pretty clueless and a not insignificant portion of them are really awful people. So in the end, this is a huge step up. At least for me.

(Sorry about the novel, just trying to contextualize)

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 15, 2021

Escape From Noise

I'd like to clarify that there are plenty of breweries run by good people who know what they're doing and treat their staff well, but those places are almost never hiring because turnover rates in the industry, overall are very low. If you notice that a brewery's brewery staff turnover is pretty regular, you pretty much know that it's gotta be a poo poo show.

Update on the last place I worked at for 4 months: One of my former co-workers who works in the kitchen there is in town for some event near my current place so I went to say a quick hello to her after work last night. She's planning on quitting next year to open her own little place here in Osaka. I wish for her sake she could get out sooner. She hates it there. The brewer is trying like hell to find something new. I really hope he does. My coworker said that they tried to hire people to help the head brewer after I left, but word's gotten around town and nobody wants to take the job because they don't want to work for the owner. He's got a reputation.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

This is a thing exactly two people will understand and I'm ok with that.

Person one checking in

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

Person one checking in

It's very very tempting.

hot cocoa on the couch

brewery bureaucracy

ah okay thanks for that, makes more sense now. coming from a homebrewer (albeit maybe a little more passionate than some) frame of mind, fundamental and simple stuff like basic procedure and required tools like that seems insane to quibble over, but when it's recontextualized to be meddling managers who aren't brewers themselves, it's a lot more relatable

if liquor laws weren't so insanely restrictive here i'd love to rent a space to set-up a brewery where i could get fermenting some long aging beers like trappists and sours/lambics without having to worry about constantly pumping out pale ales and lagers to pay the bills. but i'd need to pay like a million dollars for permits and inspections before i could even pitch a single yeast cell, so it's not really economical to set up a small artisan brewery like that unfortunately

idiotsavant

Hm that's an interesting idea. The plan at the moment was to do some basic fruit like raspberry, cherry, apricot, or peach (leaning towards apricot) with a Belgian golden strong, but I'll keep that in mind. I also need to figure out what beers to make before that that I can crop the yeast from. Probably start with a Belgian pale, not sure what to do after that. I suppose I could do a non fruited Belgian golden strong, but I don't know. Maybe too much of the same.

Apricot sounds like it’d be pretty good. I bet nectarine/white nectarine would be awesome too. I know there’s a Vietnamese brewery that does an awesome passion fruit beer, and jackfruit might be a really fun one to play around with as well

We didn’t pitch yeast on the beer, we stomped the Albarino & let it kick off naturally, brewed the beer base, and then essentially used the fermenting Albarino juice to inoculate. That might be pretty tricky with other fruit tho; I have no idea how ambient ferments go when you start with other fruit. Obviously possible but with grapes it just feels easy

Edit: also absolutely 100% 2x (3x! 4x!) hydrometers, especially if you’re using one of those super thin ones for finer readings. Hydrometers & wine thieves love to break, it’s what they do best

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 15, 2021

idiotsavant

if liquor laws weren't so insanely restrictive here i'd love to rent a space to set-up a brewery where i could get fermenting some long aging beers like trappists and sours/lambics without having to worry about constantly pumping out pale ales and lagers to pay the bills. but i'd need to pay like a million dollars for permits and inspections before i could even pitch a single yeast cell, so it's not really economical to set up a small artisan brewery like that unfortunately
it’s not ideal compared to full 225l barrels/barriques but you can get half-barrels and quarter-barrels that might work depending on your available space. Like if you have a garage or basement that you can keep nominally cool you’re good. Heck, even if you have a private yard or deck that’s well-shaded (and it doesn’t get too too hot where you live) you can figure something out. Bigger is better for aging tho - ideally you’re using at least a half-barrel.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Mormon Nailer posted:

I'm very close to pulling a Little Bobby Tables after changing my phone number, then disappearing.

Bobby Tables' mom is a personal hero of mine

Always sanitise inputs

Gramps

Mormon Nailer posted:

It's very very tempting.

As someone who is very angry with my employer and has admin credentials for some vital customer facing systems I know this feel homey. Only thing stopping me is plausible deniability

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Might do. Mad as hell.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
Hello I am a new customer my company name is

quote:

Awesome Holdings Ltd.'); DROP TABLE OrderLines;--

May I have a quote for you product and/or service please?

hot cocoa on the couch

idiotsavant posted:

it’s not ideal compared to full 225l barrels/barriques but you can get half-barrels and quarter-barrels that might work depending on your available space. Like if you have a garage or basement that you can keep nominally cool you’re good. Heck, even if you have a private yard or deck that’s well-shaded (and it doesn’t get too too hot where you live) you can figure something out. Bigger is better for aging tho - ideally you’re using at least a half-barrel.

yeah i've got a half-barrel (tho that definition may be different here - a US fluid barrel is 31 gal or ~117 L) set up in my basement with a sour solera going right now and i brew tripels and quads fairly regularily, i just meant it would be cool to sell the stuff commercially

Escape From Noise

idiotsavant posted:

Apricot sounds like it’d be pretty good. I bet nectarine/white nectarine would be awesome too. I know there’s a Vietnamese brewery that does an awesome passion fruit beer, and jackfruit might be a really fun one to play around with as well

We didn’t pitch yeast on the beer, we stomped the Albarino & let it kick off naturally, brewed the beer base, and then essentially used the fermenting Albarino juice to inoculate. That might be pretty tricky with other fruit tho; I have no idea how ambient ferments go when you start with other fruit. Obviously possible but with grapes it just feels easy

Edit: also absolutely 100% 2x (3x! 4x!) hydrometers, especially if you’re using one of those super thin ones for finer readings. Hydrometers & wine thieves love to break, it’s what they do best

I have had some nectarine beers and usually found them pretty middling. If I'm going to use something like peaches I'll use yellow instead of white because they have more flavor, whereas the sweeter white peach might lose a lot of flavors to fermentation and the remaining malt sugars. I want to do apricot because I like apricot, plus for some reason there aren't any apricot beers here really. Not sure why.

I'd love to do some spontaneous fermentation stuff but that's not going to be possible at this place. We don't have a sour/wild ale program

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I have had some nectarine beers and usually found them pretty middling. If I'm going to use something like peaches I'll use yellow instead of white because they have more flavor, whereas the sweeter white peach might lose a lot of flavors to fermentation and the remaining malt sugars. I want to do apricot because I like apricot, plus for some reason there aren't any apricot beers here really. Not sure why.

I'd love to do some spontaneous fermentation stuff but that's not going to be possible at this place. We don't have a sour/wild ale program

Apricot would slap. Montrose would be incredible in it.

Escape From Noise

I really want to try and make a haskap beer. One place in Hokkaido made one. They tend to be a really good brewery but I thought the choice of saison as a base was a bit of a mistake. I want to try with a Belgian golden strong. I think something a little cleaner would be best for that.

Escape From Noise

Edit: wrong thread

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

mornin@work

Finger Prince

I just finished my first week on the new job. Been busy, been thrown to the wolves, been for coffee. I gotta say, this is a Good Move. It is so much closer to How It Should Be out here, and I really hope I can keep it How It Should Be for a while longer. It'll have its fair share of poo poo and more poo poo, but overall, yeah wow I am happy with this move. And I just had some really great vietnamese from up the road on my balcony and yeah, gently caress. gently caress it's been a long time coming to get here and please let it last just a little while.

Escape From Noise

Hydrometer arrived, but the flask we have is too small... classic.

hot cocoa on the couch

just drop it right in the top of the tank lol

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

just drop it right in the top of the tank lol

This advice could apply to many things in the work crew thread

Escape From Noise

Fortunately, a new flask is way cheaper.

Escape From Noise

Such a dumb oversight on my part.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Measure never, cut once.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Just pretend I'm the bird that likes screaming into cups and it's much more pleasant for everyone. Except EFN. Don't imagine that, EFN. Just imagine me, screaming into cups.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Made a breakthrough on some code crap for work, which felt good!
:stoked:
And then behind that breakthrough I found a lot more poo poo I need to fix.
:negative:

If a codebase is old enough, it’s like working on an old house. Both are full of spiders and maddening decisions by previous owners/authors.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

Made a breakthrough on some code crap for work, which felt good!
:stoked:
And then behind that breakthrough I found a lot more poo poo I need to fix.
:negative:

If a codebase is old enough, it’s like working on an old house. Both are full of spiders and maddening decisions by previous owners/authors.

99 bugs in the code, take one down pass it around, 104 bugs in the code

Gramps

FFuck a job

Doing tech support for stupid people sucks good lord

cruft

Gramps posted:

FFuck a job

Doing tech support for stupid people sucks good lord

Doing tech support for smart people is called "engineering" and also sucks. :science:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

Doing tech support for smart people is called "engineering" and also sucks. :science:

Yes it loving does

It sucks worse when you're engineering for stupid people who undo everything you did because they're "just gonna make a quick note, ope, there goes everything you've done for the last thirty minutes, haha"

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

Just pretend I'm the bird that likes screaming into cups and it's much more pleasant for everyone. Except EFN. Don't imagine that, EFN. Just imagine me, screaming into cups.

Lol. Thank you for considering my phobia.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Lol. Thank you for considering my phobia.

I will make you a video of me, screaming into a cup, not being at all bird like.

But I'm still gonna scream into a cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

I will make you a video of me, screaming into a cup, not being at all bird like.

But I'm still gonna scream into a cup.

Do what you gotta do!

Work today was pretty much nothing to do. I have a meeting later on. That's about it. That is way later in the day though. I would get more busy work done, but I've kind of hit a wall as to what I'm supposed to do. I'll know more after the meeting. I haven't had much to do lately.