Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

You can change the mountpoint of a dataset, which will unmount it wherever it was mounted, and mount it on its new directory. See zfsconcepts(8).

I'd recommend against that though. Nobody will expect it and it's confusing. Instead, bind-mount it in fstab to some other hierarchy and leave the zfs namespace alone.

If you don't need the dataset to remain in its original place you can rename it, by the way.
Sometimes serendipity is just the best, as Chris Siebenmann just today blogged about how Systemd (v237) can do quite odd things with /etc/fstab bind mounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
What is everyone's recommendation for multi-session ssh clients? Superputty doesn't really support ssh keys well, and I don't want to drop the $350 on xshell if I don't have to. I've been looking at mRemoteNG, KiTTY, and some others but all of them are missing one feature or another (ie no session manager, have to manually save SSH keys per server, doesn't support SCP/SFTP, automatic command logging, etc.)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Twerk from Home posted:

I found my smoking gun on the network interfaces changing names after upgrading from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04! Next question is why.

pre:
dmesg output on 18.04:
1672:[    3.504445] i40e 0000:60:00.0 enp96s0f0: renamed from eth0

dmesg output on 20.04:
1688:[   10.598038] i40e 0000:60:00.0 eno0: renamed from eth0
I'm not very familiar with dmesg output, is i40e the name of the driver that is doing this? The kernel upgrade brought a newer default kernel driver for the Intel NICs, like so:

pre:
$ ethtool -i  enp96s0f0
driver: i40e
version: 2.1.14-k
firmware-version: 3.33 0x80000e48 1.1876.0

$ ethtool -i eno0
driver: i40e
version: 2.8.20-k
firmware-version: 3.33 0x80000e48 1.1876.0

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

I found my smoking gun on the network interfaces changing names after upgrading from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04! Next question is why.
"eno#" are the names of the on-board (as in, soldered to your motherboard) network adapters, while "enp#s#f#" refers to devices on the PCI bus. Of course, on-board devices are also on the PCI bus, leaving it up to the device driver to determine whether it's "on-board" or not. Presumably the i40e driver updated some device list and now acknowledges that it's an on-board adapter.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MustardFacial posted:

What is everyone's recommendation for multi-session ssh clients?
I just ssh to a centralized server that multiplexes a few hundred outgoing ssh sessions, all accessible through a three-layer hierarchy of screen or tmux. I use different command keys for each layer: ^Q is the first layer, ^W is the second layer, and the usual ^A is the third.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

"eno#" are the names of the on-board (as in, soldered to your motherboard) network adapters, while "enp#s#f#" refers to devices on the PCI bus. Of course, on-board devices are also on the PCI bus, leaving it up to the device driver to determine whether it's "on-board" or not. Presumably the i40e driver updated some device list and now acknowledges that it's an on-board adapter.

Those bastards, both ports are onboard, it's 2 ports on the same device. What a weird state to decide that one of the X722 ports is onboard and the other one is on the PCI bus when one is at 60:00.0 and one at 60:00.1.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

What is everyone's recommendation for multi-session ssh clients? Superputty doesn't really support ssh keys well, and I don't want to drop the $350 on xshell if I don't have to. I've been looking at mRemoteNG, KiTTY, and some others but all of them are missing one feature or another (ie no session manager, have to manually save SSH keys per server, doesn't support SCP/SFTP, automatic command logging, etc.)
I assume you're talking about a client on Windows?
Install the native OpenSSH client for Windows, and use PowerShell ISE.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

For Windows, run whatever in Windows Terminal. It's really good.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

MustardFacial posted:

I had to lookup what this means is this still what people do? Whats the use-case that ansible or some other configuration management tool doesn't do better?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Twerk from Home posted:

Those bastards, both ports are onboard, it's 2 ports on the same device. What a weird state to decide that one of the X722 ports is onboard and the other one is on the PCI bus when one is at 60:00.0 and one at 60:00.1.

It's not the driver. the DSM ACPI tables provided by ur bios describes the hardware layout and systemd-udev derives a name based upon that information. If the bios info is shoddy well then the names can get ugly.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Well, it can be the driver's fault if it causes bad info to be exposed via sysfs but in your case it sounds more like the bios acpi dsm info is not up to spec.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The interface name changes depending on the kernel. Unless he happened to reflash his BIOS at the same time that doesn't fully explain it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Doh. In that case either there is some change in what the kernel is exposing in sysfs or possibly some difference in how systemd-udev interprets it.

Google tells me ubuntu 18.04 began with v4.15 and can be updated to v5.4 and that 20.04 began with v5.4 and can be updated to v5.8.

It would be cool to know the specific kernel versions and systemd versions and then boot each one and get the contents of both devs' sysfs with something like:

$ grep -s . /sys/class/net/eno1/*

But maybe no one cares this much.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’ve gotten to the chapter in my book about VI and emacs. Please tell me these are relics of the late 80s and nobody actually uses these anymore.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

drunken officeparty posted:

I’ve gotten to the chapter in my book about VI and emacs. Please tell me these are relics of the late 80s and nobody actually uses these anymore.

I use neovim as my default editor. Tho, using a vi plugin in an existing ide like vscode is easier then using vi plugins to turn it into a useable ide.

I also took vhdl course once, that used emacs as the ide for the lab exercises in around 2005. On solaris thin clients. Taught by a close friend of the knoppix guy.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

That reminds me: While cleaning up I found a simple sed script that I used to use to help organize some :files: back then.
I wrote it, but I haven't used it for over 10 years
code:
find -not -type d | sed -n -e 'h;s/^\.\|\.\///;s/\//\-/g;s/ /_/g;s/[^[:alnum:]\._-]//g;s/\.\(.*\.\)/\1/g;s/[_-][_-]\+/-/g;H;g;s/\([^[:alnum:]]\)/\\\1/g;s/\\\n/ /;p' | xargs -l mv --backup=simple -v 

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

no idea about emacs but almost everyone i know who does anything CLI still uses vim, and a lot of people also use vim behaviour in their favourite IDEs because it's so good

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Emacs is great, I don't use it as much anymore but it was my main editor for a while

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

vi(m) is the default editor that exists on basically every unix-like system in existence. if you are gonna janitor servers, you need to know it.

I have never used emacs in 20+ years of working with linux, except the one time someone tricked me into editing with it and I had to launch a second terminal to kill the process so I could escape(I have done this with vi as well, to be fair)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I can use vim. I use nano. And I'm not even ashamed.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Computer viking posted:

I can use vim. I use nano. And I'm not even ashamed.

you should be :colbert:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm waiting for the pico user to pipe up

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

RFC2324 posted:

vi(m) is the default editor that exists on basically every unix-like system in existence. if you are gonna janitor servers, you need to know it.

yeah I've messed around with various minimal cloud distros that only had vi so here is the full extent of what I know:

press i to enter edit mode
now pretend it's a normal editor with no features and do whatever you would do normally
press esc then :x to save and quit, or :q to exit without saving

ok i also know that dd in escape mode deletes the current line. I know that I'm supposed to use hjkl to navigate but arrows work fine. that's literally it though

as for emacs... when I ask people about what's so awesome about emacs, usually they bring up org-mode. aka the world's most complicated and least usable todo / notes / calendar app, with the bonus feature of being completely useless from your mobile devices unlike every single todo / notes / calendar app in tyool 2021, from which I reasonably infer that emacs users never leave their desktop let alone their house

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

NihilCredo posted:

as for emacs... when I ask people about what's so awesome about emacs, usually they bring up org-mode. aka the world's most complicated and least usable todo / notes / calendar app, with the bonus feature of being completely useless from your mobile devices unlike every single todo / notes / calendar app in tyool 2021, from which I reasonably infer that emacs users never leave their desktop let alone their house

In the late 90s in my first programming course in the university I created a graphical CoreWars game with Scheme that ran on Emacs. I dream of the day I get my hands on the Emacs XDRAW extension and able to run it again.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

I use vi all of the time, basically whenever I'm already in a console session and I don't actually feel like pulling a file up in a GUI editor. :shrug:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

80% of my work is in VIM. The other 20% is split between Gmail and Slack.

I categorically don't use IDEs. VIM works well for every language I've used professionally and as a hobbyist.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 19, 2021

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I use vi/vim for doing quick or otherwise tedious edits of config files and stuff like that. I reckon some knowledge of vi + tmux is indispensable for managing servers.

I use Emacs for just about everything else that involves writing. My personal email, writing lists, recipes, articles, lnotes, generating pdf and static sites etc. I'll also say if you dabble in one or more lisps then it's excellent for that too. I don't use it (or any pc or phone) for to-dos... I just use a little notebook and pencil lol

I like Emacs but I will admit that the out of box experience is bewildering. I get why someone would open it once and decide it's not for them.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 19, 2021

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I've used vim basically every day for almost 6 years

Here's what typical vim use looks like. good luck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzja9fQWzdA

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

NihilCredo posted:

yeah I've messed around with various minimal cloud distros that only had vi so here is the full extent of what I know:

press i to enter edit mode
now pretend it's a normal editor with no features and do whatever you would do normally
press esc then :x to save and quit, or :q to exit without saving

ok i also know that dd in escape mode deletes the current line. I know that I'm supposed to use hjkl to navigate but arrows work fine. that's literally it though

actually you can also

code:
ctrl v
j
shift I
#
esc
esc
to comment out 10 lines

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 19, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Methanar posted:

actually you can also

code:
ctrl v
j
shift I
#
esc
esc
to comment out 10 lines
I absolutely press <downarrow> ten times instead of pressing 10j. the first because I need to be surer that I don't need 9. The second because I really can't get used to vi-keys, despite trying several times to learn them. Even for playing angband on my laptop.

The most important command to remember in vi is ":w !sudo tee %". I would never switch to an editor that doesn't offer this option.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

VictualSquid posted:

I absolutely press <downarrow> ten times instead of pressing 10j. the first because I need to be surer that I don't need 9. The second because I really can't get used to vi-keys, despite trying several times to learn them. Even for playing angband on my laptop.

The most important command to remember in vi is ":w !sudo tee %". I would never switch to an editor that doesn't offer this option.

The thought that hjkl are the movement keys because vi is so old that it predates keyboards having arrow keys tickles me in just the right way.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's good to see hobbyists keeping these old timey editors alive

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cum jabbar posted:

It's good to see hobbyists keeping these old timey editors alive

yes, in a professional setting we use

poo poo, we use vim. sometimes we use vimdiff for special

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VictualSquid posted:

the 10 thing also works with arrow keys, also you can always move back up a line or two if you overestimated it before going # esc

but yeah, for editing text (any kind of text, but especially files a computer is supposed to read), vi* offers so much power compared to non-modal editors. even if you only have a few basic things down it's like night and day compared to crappy notepad clones

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I do all my coding in cat and output redirection.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
It takes a long, stupid time but once you're vimpilled it's hard to go back. Especially if you're sensitive to how slow VSCode can get, despite the heroic efforts made in making it snappy.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

using vim is like stockholm syndrome, but useful

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Vscode is genuinely pretty snappy vanilla. Just people don't seem to want to use it as a text editor and add 20+ extentions to it to make it more like an IDE. So why not just use an IDE at that point?

People are weird about their tools.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mega Comrade posted:

Vscode is genuinely pretty snappy vanilla. Just people don't seem to want to use it as a text editor and add 20+ extentions to it to make it more like an IDE. So why not just use an IDE at that point?

People are weird about their tools.

i have 20+ extensions and it's still pretty snappy

here's some secret l33t sauces for doing awesome vi-type stuff with vscode:

- want to transform all your text to uppercase? press f1 (or ctrl-shift-p), start typing 'uppercase' (or just 'upp'), press enter
- want to select all text to the end of the current bracket? press f1 (or ctrl-shift-p), start typing 'select to bracket' (or just 'sel br'), press enter
- want to compare the content of the active file with the last saved version? press f1 (or ctrl-shift-p), start typing 'compare active file with saved' (or just 'act sav'), press enter

and if you spend a lot of time learning your tool, you might eventually start to notice some pattern in those commands and be able to figure out more awesome tricks all by yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I miss nedit....