Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Powered Descent posted:

A thought. Does the existence of Captain Freeman Day, and everyone's assumption that the decorations were made by toddlers, mean that there are families and children aboard the Cerritos? If so, we've never seen them -- I think the only civilian we've seen on the ship is the bartender, and TNG certainly gave the impression that bringing one's family along on starship duty was a new thing for the Galaxy class.

The command simulation that Rutherford takes in S1 has the daycare getting destroyed, but that's the closest we've gotten I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Computer, what is the nature of the hot dog?

The hot dog is a oblong sandwich, 30 cm in length.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blastron posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

What I always wondered about K'Ehleyr, was that a Klingon name that sounded kinda like the human name Cuyler? Or did they make Cuyler sound Klingon? I can imagine the naming discussion between a human mom and a Klingon dad was quite complex, I want to know where the compromise was

Oh no it's the glorious Klingon warriors K'aitlin, M'adison and M'kinsey!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I knew a couple girl Michaels named after some singer in the 80s. Not Michael Jackson.

There's also Michael Michele.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

blastron posted:

Moriarty would ask this question

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Look at banner captain

Did they ever explain why they named a female character Michael? I've never in my life encountered that name for a girl or a woman. I thought maybe it was a deal where they're trying to show that some names lose gender coding over time or something, but I don't recall any other Trek characters with names like that.

I know a woman named Michal, and briefly a Michaela who went by Mike to coworkers.

If Ashley can be a boy's name so can anything.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://i.imgur.com/8kCBtQg.gifv

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I mean it may predate the name "sandwich" but that just means that the "invention of the sandwich" by Europeans wasn't the first time somebody thought of using a hand-held edible cooked grain delivery vessel for messy foods

My shwarma dude in Egypt once gave me a ten minute lecture on why the pita sandwich was the height of invention for the Arab world. Also a raging anti-Semite but he lost his eye in '73 and was somewhat sore on the whole deal. In short sandwiches are a land of delicious contrast and everyone will tell you the true story of how they were made.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

J33uk posted:

In short sandwiches are a land of delicious contrast and everyone will tell you the true story of how they were made.

Does the true story involve large flying spaceships for the future?

If so I really want to hear it!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nobody wants to see how the sandwich is made

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Martytoof posted:

Discovery definitely feels like it's got the anchor of "MUST BE PRESTIGE TV" dragging it down. When it doesn't take itself seriously or is lighthearted it feels much better.

I'm not sure I'd ever be a fan, but when it's funny and light I don't hate it. When it's ~~FORCED DRAMA AND HIGH STAKES~~ it feels very put-on.

That's articulated horribly but I'm not sure I can explain it any better. I can't really tell you what forced drama is vs just properly written drama but it's a gut feeling.

No no, I absolutely agree with you. I watched a few TNG lately that I was reminded of by Lower Decks, and even TNG is pretty silly. Like, take Time's Arrow, that was FULL of light hearted goofball poo poo. ("I'm a frenchman. 😐") It's less comedic than Lower Decks, but honestly, not by as much as I remembered. The show just isn't taking itself that seriously most of the time.

And I think that's a big part of Disco's problems. TOS and TNG were completely ridiculous in many ways, and fans still loved them. I think to outsiders, it seemed like Trek fans didn't realize how loving absurd, how SILLY this poo poo was. But, we did.

Discovery feels to me like an attempt at making a Star Trek show, based on how people who don't like Trek think fans see the shows.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

XboxPants posted:

And I think that's a big part of Disco's problems. TOS and TNG were completely ridiculous in many ways, and fans still loved them. I think to outsiders, it seemed like Trek fans didn't realize how loving absurd, how SILLY this poo poo was. But, we did.

Soulless minions of Orthodoxy.

I think that partly the silly episodes exist because the seasons are very long and they have a lot to fill in. But it still DID have funny stuff. It slots in with all the 90s/early 2000s sci-fi like Xfiles, Stargate, Quantum Leap. Serious MOST of the time but with silly episodes.
Disco and Picard just don't do that. They can't.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

My memories are a mix, but I definitely have some that are third person. With camera angles and cuts and everything. Influence of growing up in a media saturated world I suppose.

That's just absolutely bizarre to me. I'm not calling you out in any way and other people have reported it as well, but it makes no sense to me at all. It just adds to how utterly unreliable memory is.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gromit posted:

That's just absolutely bizarre to me. I'm not calling you out in any way and other people have reported it as well, but it makes no sense to me at all. It just adds to how utterly unreliable memory is.

Oh yeah. A couple of those memories are also things I am 100% certain never happened, like I have a very clear one of watching a space shuttle launch from my grandma's porch as a kid. My grandma lives in Ohio, very much not where space launches happen.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
It's a shame the memory isn't from the perspective of looking out the shuttle window down at yourself. That would be amazing.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Professor Beetus posted:

A lower decks version of trials and tribblelations would be amazing

Someone on Twitter suggested it should be a direct follow-up to Trials and Tribblelations, where the crew has to carefully avoid the DS9 crew who are carefully avoiding messing up the TOS crew, with maybe another crew from even further into the future coming in after them too. And yes, also an excuse to animate the TOS crew in the TAS style (not sure how the DS9 crew would be animated in this case).

Alternative approach: full-on Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Dolash posted:

Someone on Twitter suggested it should be a direct follow-up to Trials and Tribblelations, where the crew has to carefully avoid the DS9 crew who are carefully avoiding messing up the TOS crew, with maybe another crew from even further into the future coming in after them too. And yes, also an excuse to animate the TOS crew in the TAS style (not sure how the DS9 crew would be animated in this case).

Animate everyone in TAS style, as if going back to the 23rd century just makes you look like that somehow

If there's ever Lower Decks comics they need to adopt the Gold Key look in time travel issues for the same reason

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dolash posted:

God I wish we could get this so badly.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh yeah. A couple of those memories are also things I am 100% certain never happened, like I have a very clear one of watching a space shuttle launch from my grandma's porch as a kid. My grandma lives in Ohio, very much not where space launches happen.

Maybe the space shuttle just got confused and forgot where it was meant to launch from?

Dolash posted:

This would be incredible. I wonder if you would do it with the LD crew done in a TAS style, or just do a pallet swap to make the colours match TOS pallet more closely?

(Oh :(. Just found out Richard Williams died 2019. He was working till the end apparently. Would of loved to of seen him come on and help with a Who Framed Roger Rabbit/tribbles episode. Seems like figuring out how to do that in the most seemless and amazing way, would be the sort of animation challenge he would of loved)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't think we're going to get that time travel episode because I think they'd only be interested if they could go full TOS and show off

and maybe throw in some fun extras like

while they're at it, but CBS has a policy and I'm absolutely certain they'd be told no, you can do TOS but the Enterprise looks like this

and when it goes to warp it looks like this

And we have a TOS-era miranda and it looks like this

and the old look is done and we don't want to cause visual confusion and all imagery going forth will be of the redesigned look.

And I think Lower Decks probably can't be bothered if they can't have fun with the full TOS classic camp.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 19, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Nimitiz class isn't a Miranda or meant to be it. Though that picture existing is depressing, what is it from? I already rank the Donnie as the worst Constitution variant so I'd be happy to have an excuse to hate it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Dolash posted:

i would pay so much money to see this

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Funniest option: they use the old Trials and Tribble-ations footage, like how that episode used the Trouble With Tribbles, and no one ever mentions that the Lower Decks characters are animated.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eimi posted:

The Nimitiz class isn't a Miranda or meant to be it.

Yeah I guess but that's the new 'style' of TOS-era ships and it's clearly meant to be a sister to the Miranda, I'm sure they'll be like 'anything new uses the Discovery look and not the TOS classic look' and I don't think that's something lower decks would be particularly interested in if they can't TAS it up.

quote:

Though that picture existing is depressing, what is it from? I already rank the Donnie as the worst Constitution variant so I'd be happy to have an excuse to hate it.

Those pictures are from the animated Short Trek where a tardigrade lays eggs inside the TOS enterprise engine bay and then spends all of TOS chasing the ship after one of the service robots kicks it out, conveniently witnessing a bunch of major events.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 19, 2021

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Lower Decks did use one of those TAS automated freighters last season with only very minor changes, so that's something.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Discovery has gone too far. :argh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Delsaber posted:

Lower Decks did use one of those TAS automated freighters last season with only very minor changes, so that's something.

And a Miranda that looked spot on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

And a Miranda that looked spot on.

So far it seems to be that the movie-era ships still look the same: the refit was still largely the refit in ephraim and dot. (Few differences, the engine grills glowed pretty bright blue on both the Enterprise and Reliant, there were a few other new glowy blue bits, etc. Not sure if they kept the flattening of the Enterprise height-wise to make it 'sleeker'). I think the main concern would be that they'd want things to align with Strange New Worlds. Hell, LD might even be encouraged to change a time travel ep to hit the Pike era instead of the Kirk era.

Although that could be fun if they pop Tawny Newsome and Jack Quaid in the background of an SNW ep.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 19, 2021

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Just remembered that Disco also reused footage straight from The Cage as a "previously on" lead-in to an episode, so I'm not sure there's so much any hard policy from the studio regarding never reusing the 1960s look, so much as both visual styles kinda exist simultaneously in their heads and they just compartmentalize the difference depending on context and are expecting the fans to do the same, which will always be a hard pill to swallow for some folks, especially when similarly ancient franchises like Doctor Who or Star Wars mostly keep the same looks they've always had, even when they have hundreds of millions of dollars of Disney money to play with

Anyway, Disco's take on 23rd century Starfleet design, inside and out, feels like it's meant to bridge the 22nd century NX-01 stuff with The Motion Picture onwards, so for the dozens of us who really liked ENT that's pretty cool, but understandably annoying for everyone else. But compared to everything about the Klingons it could be so, so much worse. Like if you told me that raider design came from Lexx I might've believed you

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think since the 90s people are so used to postmodern mtv editing and what not it's not such a big thing to just chuck a bit of older material and there, and expect the audience is going to be fine just going with it.

Comedies it much easier, but even more dramatic stuff I think people are mostly fine with everything not being quite the same style.

I mean even back in the day, there was often a mix of studio camera, outdoor film camera, wildly different looking stock footage, going on, possibly with animated opening and closing credits.

If it just happens once it can be a bit weird, but once it's more a style people well generally come on board with it, if it works with the story and isn't too intrusive.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

If they consistently play loose with stuff like visual continuity for a while, then maybe there is some hope that the next generation of fans can loosen the gently caress up about such things

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Apologies if this has already been beaten to death, but I just got sent a picture of the Ferengi redesign.

Design aside (it's fine, but I don't think it really adds anything, more generic monster than the old look) does this feel like not quite a TV quality makeup job to anyone else? Look at the disconnect between the eyes and the rest of the appliance, how far off the face it seems to sit. Very halloween mask looking, no?

e: paint job isnt too hot either...

Just for comparison:

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 19, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean in Trek it's a problem because every other series has paid homage and included the TOS style bridge. Well maybe not Voyager but I don't think they ever went back to the TOS time period. TNG's relics, DS9's Trials and Tribble-ations and ENT's In a Mirror Darkly all kept the same style, cementing that hey starship interiors did look like this at that time period.

Hell even the Kelvin movies apparently wanted the Kelvin to look properly TOS but that got changed sadly, just like the Porthos after credit gag.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Apologies if this has already been beaten to death, but I just got sent a picture of the Ferengi redesign.

Design aside (it's fine, but I don't think it really adds anything, more generic monster than the old look) but does this feel like not quite a TV quality makeup job to anyone else? Look at the disconnect between the eyes and the rest of the appliance, how far off the face it seems to sit. Very halloween mask looking, no?

It might just be a thing with modern alien makeup techniques or it might be a hallmark of whatever particular makeup artists they use, but Disco's makeup all seems to be much thicker appliances than existing trek. That lets them go more alien in design, but also causes a lot more of a disconnect for the actor's acting, and they seem to go thick even when they don't need to (see: how plastic the orion makeup looked.)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

It might just be a thing with modern alien makeup techniques or it might be a hallmark of whatever particular makeup artists they use, but Disco's makeup all seems to be much thicker appliances than existing trek. That lets them go more alien in design, but also causes a lot more of a disconnect for the actor's acting, and they seem to go thick even when they don't need to (see: how plastic the orion makeup looked.)

Were the Orions season 3? I'll have to look up screen grabs. I wonder if it's to keep time/cost down by using far fewer pieces. Saru is wonderful makeup, obviously some random Ferengi won't be that good but this looks pretty crap.

e:

Oh no... What happened?!

Looks like someone turned the noise reduction slider up to 300%

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 19, 2021

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Khanstant posted:

I know a woman named Michal, and briefly a Michaela who went by Mike to coworkers.

If Ashley can be a boy's name so can anything.

Ashley was a traditional boys name until relatively recently

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I don't mind the Disco S3 Orions TBH, the Orion men look oddly smooth, but really it's just taking the way that Orion women have been portrayed in the past and giving that style of makeup and hair to the men.

We'll see about the S4 Ferengi, but it runs me a little wrong because it doesn't look better or more realistic, but more like they are trying to make the makeup look like a CGI character.

Edit: also I don't care about if they uodate VFX or makeup (for example I love how the Enterprise interiors were portrayed in Disco S2 overall) but it does rub me the wrong way when updates feel like they restrict what can be shown. With the Klingon updates for example, if Worf shows up in Picard he now has to either be clearly a different look to Discovery, or not look like the character we know. Either spoils the sense of a shared universe or establishes a real disconnect from what we already know.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 19, 2021

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Senor Tron posted:

We'll see about the S4 Ferengi, but it runs me a little wrong because it doesn't look better or more realistic, but more like they are trying to make the makeup look like a CGI character.

The more I look at it, the worse it gets. It's just a muddy mess. No character, just half an inch of rubber looking mask with eye holes cut out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lizard Combatant posted:

The more I look at it, the worse it gets. It's just a muddy mess. No character, just half an inch of rubber looking mask with eye holes cut out.

I think the lighting isn't doing it any favours, tbh