Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Earwicker posted:

i miss MUDs

I do too. MUDs were always better than graphical MMOs. Every once in awhile I'll get the urge to pick one up again and then after an hour of exploring around without running into a single other PC I'll sadly log out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
if you have to use private servers to play a game its a good reason not to play it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lucas Archer posted:

MMO's, as they used to be universally understood, are a dead concept I think now. There's no way you can re-create the experience of logging into Everquest, Ultima Online, WoW or any of the other wild early- and mid-00's MMO's. Gamers today won't accept an experience of logging in with nary a tutorial, basic mobs that require a group to fight, and no match-making ability. That's where the MMO part came in - you HAD to connect with other people in the game to accomplish poo poo, or you weren't doing anything interesting.

Things nowadays are much more streamlined. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but I do think something is lost by not forcing players to interact in order to group up and accomplish things rather than just letting them click a queue button and getting loaded in with 4 other randos for some rando dungeon.

Classic Wow is still really, really good. I've stopped now, but it sank its hooks right back into me instantly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JollyBoyJohn posted:

if you have to use private servers to play a game its a good reason not to play it

any good suggestions for playing a game that has been offline officially for a decade?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

site posted:

any good suggestions for playing a game that has been offline officially for a decade?

Play or do literally anything else

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

I do too. MUDs were always better than graphical MMOs. Every once in awhile I'll get the urge to pick one up again and then after an hour of exploring around without running into a single other PC I'll sadly log out.

yea i mean the entire appeal is that they were roleplaying games that involved actual role playing

at least in my experience, people in MUDs were other nerds who knew way too much LotR lore and other nerdy poo poo and we had full on in-character conversations about in-universe fantasy world politics and wars and relationships etc. which yes, is dorky as hell, but also a lot more immersive and interesting than anything going on in MMO's where all anyone talks or cares about is loot

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Play or do literally anything else

Why

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Because warhammer age of reckoning isn't worth it mate. Let it go

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Earwicker posted:

i miss MUDs

Kind of bonkers there are almost no single-player MUDs with a storyline

Like interactive fiction but with levels, loot, stats, and combat

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

Kind of bonkers there are almost no single-player MUDs with a storyline

Like interactive fiction but with levels, loot, stats, and combat

a single player game cant be a MUD by definition, it stands for Multi User Dungeon and the entire point of the genre is roleplaying with other people. much like single player dungeons and dragons wouldnt really make sense

if you are talking about single player text adventures those have existed since the early days. the Zork series for example. havent looked into current ones but i doubt if theyve dissappeared entirely, i feel like i see them pop up on my steam recommendations every once in a while.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
fun fact: the "Dungeon" in "multi-user-dungeon" has nothing to do with the actual gameplay or D&D stuff
it was named that way because the creator of the original MUD had played a ZORK fork named DUNGEON, and wanted to create a multiplayer version of that sort of adventure game
in a different reality they could have been named MUZzes instead

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
There's a lot of space in the market for WoW style endgame focused MMOs, the issue is nobody is making them and I don't know why

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dungeon was named after d&d though, they had to change it after getting threats from tsr lol

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i want a single player ragnarok online

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

yea i mean the entire appeal is that they were roleplaying games that involved actual role playing

at least in my experience, people in MUDs were other nerds who knew way too much LotR lore and other nerdy poo poo and we had full on in-character conversations about in-universe fantasy world politics and wars and relationships etc. which yes, is dorky as hell, but also a lot more immersive and interesting than anything going on in MMO's where all anyone talks or cares about is loot

so just play Second Life

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Earwicker posted:

if you are talking about single player text adventures those have existed since the early days. the Zork series for example. havent looked into current ones but i doubt if theyve dissappeared entirely, i feel like i see them pop up on my steam recommendations every once in a while.

Yeah I've played dozens of IF games but none of them have the rpg and combat aspects

Not that I want one, just weird that they don't seem to exist

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rutibex posted:

so just play Second Life

i tried it once and it seemed like a huge empty wasteland of weird abandoned corporate "virtual conference center" projects? certainly didnt see any roleplaying going on, or almost any other players at all. and that was ten years ago, already well past its peak, i didnt realize it even still existed

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I was laughing the other night because I remembered Habo Hotel, when people from the forums would join en masse all dressed in grey and we'd act like a cult and freak out other users. I guess that was a fun multiplayer experience.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

abigserve posted:

There's a lot of space in the market for WoW style endgame focused MMOs, the issue is nobody is making them and I don't know why

Actually the world needs fewer WildStars, not more.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kntfkr posted:

I was laughing the other night because I remembered Habo Hotel, when people from the forums would join en masse all dressed in grey and we'd act like a cult and freak out other users. I guess that was a fun multiplayer experience.

lol yes the geno invasions were fun. iirc there was also an invasion of some kind of mtv sponsored "dating game"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

lol yes the geno invasions were fun. iirc there was also an invasion of some kind of mtv sponsored "dating game"

does anyone remember the Invasion of the Bobs in ultima online? its was almost the same thing as the Genos, everyone made a bald character in a robe named Bob and went around harassing everyone

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

abigserve posted:

Because people in charge decided they needed to make an immersive world (costs millions) have constant updates (costs millions) and be better than WoW (which cost millions and made many more which, back then at least, went into some amount of improvement and future development) and ensure server stability (costs millions), and they didn’t want to spend too much money or try too hard. Also they needed to woo over actively addicted people from a game that actively demanded their entire lives by a company that was more of a psychological exploitation company than anything else (same could be said of other companies but Blizzard was light years ahead of them at it). If you remember the stories of babies being neglected because of raids, etc., you get the idea.

And somewhere along the way, people in charge decided to just randomly copy and iterate on random aspects of WoW and somehow always did worse or actively neglect everything else. They also NEEDED to have stupid big raids be the primary focus.

At the end of the day people just want to sit in a pretty town to chat and dress up and have fun doing dungeons/slaying bosses and everyone keeps on loving up that formula so hard except for FF14. And if they’re a good or fun game, they HEAVILY monetize and P2W poo poo to ensure nobody should play their game.

Basically WoW killed MMOs and also StarCraft/Warcraft 3/DOTA killed RTSes, my other favorite genre, but since Blizzard is an actively burning sex pest dumpster fire right now maybe there will be a resurgence!

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 18, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Serephina posted:

And entered the tyranny of always-online single player games, where instead you get to wait 3-4 seconds every time you click a menu item.

Seriously, what the gently caress.

One of the reasons I'm not doing any multiplayer gaming right now is the satellite internet I'm saddled with atm. When the laws of physics dictate my ping is at least 650ms it does, as you say, give me a lot of time to think about the way item-get is implemented.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There need to be more dungeon crawler+human raiser videogames where you don't have direct control on the various adventurers you craft

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

abigserve posted:

if you want to make a good elf mmo make it so that everyone dies when they reach max level so the game never reaches the stage where every warrior is just trying to do the same things over and over to be the first to achieve the same perfect endgame gearset and that's all anyone cares about. if the rest of the game can't sustain it it's a bad game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Endgame focused MMOs are dumb, either make it an infinite leveling grind or remove the levels altogether dang

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My older brother used to play some kind of MUD thing called a MUSH and to this day I can't quite understand wtf it was and he won't really explain it because he seems kinda embarrassed.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
As I recall, MUSHes had more of emphasis on role playing and social stuff (and maybe player building?) as opposed to the combat heavy nature of traditional MUDs.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

poverty goat posted:

if you want to make a good elf mmo make it so that everyone dies when they reach max level so the game never reaches the stage where every warrior is just trying to do the same things over and over to be the first to achieve the same perfect endgame gearset and that's all anyone cares about. if the rest of the game can't sustain it it's a bad game

There's a captive audience and a way to have your cake and eat it to with this sorta thing, you gotta have some player choice in there and also some semblance of balance

one of WoW's many, many failings was that it somehow conditioned people to think you can't balance a loving videogame

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

duhhh i'm gonna give the players 4 choices, one does a billion damage and synergizes with their main dps ability, 2 do less damage and have no synergy, and one does no damage and buffs your party.

WHAT?! Everyone is picking the same choice?!!?! what the gently caress, this is so hard, nobody could have possibly seen this coming

edit; if only there was some tool, possibly freely available, that could simulate the exact amount of damage each different option translates to in different scenarios. wow. or maybe some sort of...online..ranking system, where you can see how everyone is comparing with each other and balance based on that data

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vic posted:

DOTA would be perfectly playable on a gamepad what are you talking about. It's on a loving 2d plane man.

Most of the time someone says something wouldn't be playable on a game pad it's either completely untrue or because the game is stuffed with overly convoluted poo poo. Maybe like, competitive rts would be tough to unless it was designed around a gampad but that's about it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

veni veni veni posted:

Most of the time someone says something wouldn't be playable on a game pad it's either completely untrue or because the game is stuffed with overly convoluted poo poo. Maybe like, competitive rts would be tough to unless it was designed around a gampad but that's about it.

Specifically DOTA could be desgned as a twin stick shooter. You control one character. Games like this are perfect on a joypad. Racing games too.

Every game with tons of buttons to click, or where quick precision is required feel awful to play. If you disable the L2 R2 headshot thing all the fps too. Im curious how the steam deck trackpad feels to use over longer periods of time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aren't end game focused MMO's basically just looter shooters? Repeatably run the same dungeons over and over for chances to find better loot so you can do it again but on a slightly harder difficulty?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

veni veni veni posted:

Dota is definitely stuffed with convoluted poo poo but complexity is why people enjoy it, zero way you could play on a controller though

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Dota is definitely stuffed with convoluted poo poo but complexity is why people enjoy it, zero way you could play on a controller though

aren't you just controlling one character with two powers?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

sebmojo posted:

aren't you just controlling one character with two powers?

How dare you! I don't play Skeleton King

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

dota is not a game but a self selecting gene pool removal system.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

dota is probably a very good game, but its just not designed for cool guys who like to have fun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

dota is not a game but a self selecting gene pool removal system.

The person I know who got laid the most in college played a fuckload of DotA.

He also came from a rich family, slung cocaine, and spent all his non dota and non drug time working out. I don't think he went to classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poil posted:

Aren't end game focused MMO's basically just looter shooters? Repeatably run the same dungeons over and over for chances to find better loot so you can do it again but on a slightly harder difficulty?

yes but without the fun of the "shooter" part