Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Samus accidentally clicks on the ChoZip "purchase license" button instead of "continue demo" and bricks all her upgrades, so she just needs to explore whatever world the Chozo or the Federation hosed up to find new hardware that the suit doesn't have locked down due to serial numbers being locked down.

Or a Rezbit shows up and screws with the suit config files and Samus forgot if things were in Settings or Preferences and just decides to go with what she knows. Murder. I assume Raven Beak hosed with the ini file for the varia suit which is why it didn't work with cold rooms this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
laughing remembering the moment when badguy rips off his battered wing like a dbz kind of badass

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Game starts with you fighting a basic suit no ability Samus. When you win, all your abilities are gone, and you now control basic Samus. You fight the normal bosses, but not for upgrades but so you can wait for Other Samus to show up. When she finds the boss dead and you there, you have to fight the powered up Samus. Each victory gives you a suit upgrade and the other one loses one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Khanstant posted:

laughing remembering the moment when badguy rips off his battered wing like a dbz kind of badass

There was a moment where I thought you'd have to fight him with one wing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Aren't her cannon and parts of her suit literally fused to her body?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As I understand it, the idea of the Power Suit is that it's essentially an energy field formed into coherent matter, which is how it can change appearance so easily after absorbing power-up items and also how the Morph Ball works, and also why Samus's death scene is it shattering like glass. That's also where the conception that she's supposed to be permanently stuck inside it comes from. What's really supposed to be going on apparently is that the Zero Suit is the most basic form/layer that stores information and energy to project the more usual outwardly appearances, which are maintained by a link to Samus's will(/central nervous system). The armor's real enough when active, and will stay on even while Samus is unconscious (if she doesn't manually deactivate it), but can, with effort, be dismantled (like the scientists in Fusion managed), or if the energy reserves are completely exhausted (i.e. running out of energy in the game), then the outer layers break leaving Samus as vulnerable as a non-armored human.

What I'm saying is that Samus is essentially a magical girl bounty hunter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

it gets fuzzy after the end of Fusion and I've heard a lot of people say that she's "back to normal" but at least the premise of fusion was that all of the biomechanical components of her suit kinda.... fused (get it) to her body making them one

e: also can i just reiterate again how kinda lowkey disturbing it is how seemingly most (all?) of chozo technology is at least partially bio-mechanical

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I wouldn't mind a story where we just start at full strength and just have a difficult journey that utilizes all of our abilities for the entire game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mr. Nice! posted:

No, the concept of her suit magically appearing on and off like Power Rangers or nanomachine Iron Man has been there since Super Metroid at least, though earlier it was probably thought of as a purely physical object like a space suit or original Iron Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMUw6EiQOgQ

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 18, 2021

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Hogama posted:

As I understand it, the idea of the Power Suit is that it's essentially an energy field formed into coherent matter, which is how it can change appearance so easily after absorbing power-up items and also how the Morph Ball works, and also why Samus's death scene is it shattering like glass. That's also where the conception that she's supposed to be permanently stuck inside it comes from. What's really supposed to be going on apparently is that the Zero Suit is the most basic form/layer that stores information and energy to project the more usual outwardly appearances, which are maintained by a link to Samus's will(/central nervous system). The armor's real enough when active, and will stay on even while Samus is unconscious (if she doesn't manually deactivate it), but can, with effort, be dismantled (like the scientists in Fusion managed), or if the energy reserves are completely exhausted (i.e. running out of energy in the game), then the outer layers break leaving Samus as vulnerable as a non-armored human.

Disappointed that (final boss spoilers) Raven Beak's power suit does not fly off like Samus's does when you shoot him enough times, considering they should be the same or similar tech.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The United States posted:

No, the concept of her suit magically appearing on and off like Power Rangers or nanomachine Iron Man has been there since Super Metroid at least, though earlier it was probably thought of as a purely physical object like a space suit or original Iron Man.

it literally states in the intro to fusion that the suit is at least partially organic

quote:

Samus: It then came to light that the organic components of my Power Suit had become so integrated with my system that it could not be removed while I was unconscious. Large portions of my suit had to be surgically removed, dramatically altering my physical appearance.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The United States posted:

That's how it was, but

Your Computer posted:

it gets fuzzy after the end of Fusion and I've heard a lot of people say that she's "back to normal" but at least the premise of fusion was that all of the biomechanical components of her suit kinda.... fused (get it) to her body making them one

e: also can i just reiterate again how kinda lowkey disturbing it is how seemingly most (all?) of chozo technology is at least partially bio-mechanical

That's the source of my confusion. The entire point of fusion was that she was fused with part of her power suit permanently but also now part metroid and able to absorb x. None of that has changed afaik.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hogama posted:

samus probably smells a lot like the inside of someone's broken arm or leg cast

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Your Computer posted:

it literally states in the intro to fusion that the suit is at least partially organic
The read I'm getting on that is that there's an organic layer beneath the usual armor that acts as an enhanced muscular system in the same way that we aren't just bone directly under our skin, and that was so integrated that they couldn't just pop the armor off while she was passed out - the physical appearance line is to explain the look of the Fusion Armor, and she still looks similar to this when the suit is normally fully off.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Your Computer posted:

Yeah there's definitely some Guyver influence going on there, I guess there always has been

Your Computer posted:

Yeah that seems to be a big paradigm shift in Fusion, but even before then in Super we saw the Torizo as partially organic so this has been the direction they've been going on for a while, and obviously mother brain has always been organic computer tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYf_azxtq-A

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the next game starts with Samus losing her powers after injecting yet more horrifying alien bioweapon DNA, just like, as a dare

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the next game starts with Samus losing her powers after injecting yet more horrifying alien bioweapon DNA, just like, as a dare

She doesn't have any of the space pirate race DNA in her yet right? There's loads they could do with that.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The key point in Fusion was that the suit couldn't be properly removed by outside forces while she was unconscious. She can still take it off of her own volition.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

stev posted:

She doesn't have any of the space pirate race DNA in her yet right? There's loads they could do with that.

shes gonna look like some Charles II of Spain-rear end poo poo by the end of the series

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gruckles posted:

The key point in Fusion was that the suit couldn't be properly removed by outside forces while she was unconscious. She can still take it off of her own volition.
i still think this is really weird and awkward since samus stated (as per the above quote) that the organic parts of the suit had become "integrated with her system"

like, how do you "take something off" that is part of your internal organs

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I always imagined it was like cybernetics. Various parts of her body in a quasi-energy state to interface with her suit better while she is wearing it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

stev posted:

I feel that would just make her shittier at everything, honestly. It would be like one of the Power Rangers injecting themselves with Putty DNA.

Now, Ridley DNA on the other hand... :smaug:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

i still think this is really weird and awkward since samus stated (as per the above quote) that the organic parts of the suit had become "integrated with her system"

like, how do you "take something off" that is part of your internal organs

It retracts into the body

ask any dude on a cold winter day on how that works

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

shes gonna look like some Charles II of Spain-rear end poo poo by the end of the series

Samus has the exact opposite problem of inbreeding though.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Given that by the end of Dread, her metroid DNA somehow manifested itself externally, like, completely reshaping the power suit, I'm not entirely convinced Samus isn't running around buck naked now and that's just what the exterior of her body looks like after the genetic car crash she's been in.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

She goes to a detox clinic to lose the jank DNA and accidentally purges all her upgrades too

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The space pirates figure out what's going on and leave some low-jump boots and subpar missiles in "Chozo" statues

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I want to see the Chozo statues explained in a non-ruined Chozo civilisation.

"This is the sacred room where we keep the sacred grappling hook so that our young might learn to surmount our 10ft walls"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
She gets into a teleporter accident and multiple Samuses come out the other end - one for each type of DNA (and phazon). Unfortunately all the cool non-human ones get all the sweet suit upgrades while boring old bird-raised human Samus starts with nothing but a Power Beam

your progression through the areas is interspersed with little cutscenes of how the other copies go on a bender - Dark Samus and SA-X go on a rave together after trying MDMA , Metroid Samus goes on an eating binge through the famous restaurant strip in the galactic HQ, and so on

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

stev posted:

I want to see the Chozo statues explained in a non-ruined Chozo civilisation.

"This is the sacred room where we keep the sacred grappling hook so that our young might learn to surmount our 10ft walls"

"Ok children, there are eight of you in this class and only two statues. No shoving."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Asterite34 posted:

Now, Ridley DNA on the other hand... :smaug:
I'm still operating under the assumption that Ridley is a mutant chozo

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameTheorists/comments/izqvaf/metroid_theory_ridley_is_a_phazon_mutated_chozo/

https://www.deviantart.com/jasminedraco/journal/Ridley-is-a-Chozo-My-theory-438737856

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The rest of the space dragons and whatever the giant lizard race that Kraid is are actually all really lovely people

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It was part of the Phazon Challenge meme on Tumblr.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, any pointers for the final boss?

So far it feels like a bit of a chore to fight. I thought I'd gotten through his first phase when he fired up the invulnerability but nope, that's still phase 1.

Took me ages to get by it and then the fucker starts flying about and bam, back to square 1.

Is there a way to make him trigger the counter move to get him out of his invulnerable state?

I pretty much had the rest of his attacks in that phase memorised so wasn't actually taking any damage, nor was I dealing any.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A weird thing I thought of playing this game. Some scenes we see the breakable blocks or the exploding alien organ thingies at an angle, and they look like they're 1 block tall, 1 block wide, but like 8 blocks long. Which makes me wonder if this time she doesn't turn into an actual ball, but is more like a big long cylinder.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kin posted:

So far it feels like a bit of a chore to fight. I thought I'd gotten through his first phase when he fired up the invulnerability but nope, that's still phase 1.

Took me ages to get by it and then the fucker starts flying about and bam, back to square 1.

Is there a way to make him trigger the counter move to get him out of his invulnerable state?

I pretty much had the rest of his attacks in that phase memorised so wasn't actually taking any damage, nor was I dealing any.

When he stands still and taunts you he will enter a counterable state when you get close.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kin posted:

Put a lot of distance and he will do the full screen charge. Easy to counter that move.

The second phase is easy with some screw attack to circle him

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Kin posted:

It seemed like whenever I didn't get hit and beam spammed while invulnerable he opened up more often. Anecdotal though

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kin posted:

Take your time on phase one and use the big evil black ball as a filler to make sure you're topped up on missiles and energy. The attacks should be easy enough to dodge that this shouldn't be an issue, but Phase 2 has no refills and you have to wait for phase 3 to top back up if you need to.

You don't only have to wait for him to do the "Show me your moves" motion to counter, he does a forward rush attack that can also be countered.

Also when he does the hand motion, you have to run at him and do a running counter, you don't just stand there and counter. That tripped me up a while.

Edit: Also missile storm on the black ball is a trap don't do it.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Put a lot of distance and he will do the full screen charge. Easy to counter that move.

The second phase is easy with some screw attack to circle him

Aha, I saw him do that cross screen lunge a lot. So the trick is to counter that rather than the taunt.

As for the second stage, you're basically saying to treat it like sonic the hedgehog rather than shoot missiles at him?