Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
A few weeks ago my wife's 2012 CR-V needed a new timing chain, VTC actuator, and associated parts (I was too chicken to attempt this repair). This morning she came upstairs to tell me that a whole bunch of lights are on again while I was in the shower. She told me the "circle with a moustache" light, the "drifting" light, and the brake light were all on. We checked the brake fluid, it was low. But why?

I knew the rear pads were near the end of their life, so I already had parts on hand to address that. I jacked up the front end to check the front to see if I should order front pads and rotors as well.

These are done for:

Not shown: using the air hammer and the pointy bit to get the brake rotor retaining screws spun out.

While I was in there, I figured I would go ahead and replace the broken wheel stud I had been putting off. Cut the remnants of the broken one to get it out.

Then do a little grinding on the base of the wheel stud and the steering knuckle to slide the new stud into place.

My wife made lunch to celebrate. Note the broccoli salad pubes.

The brakes go back together until Saturday when the new parts get here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Had my factory S2K wheels refinished. They’ve been sitting in my garage for two years.

Hard to see, but the clearcoat was chipping, there was a little bit of curb rash, and other assorted pitting and damage.

Fresh af

AWRS outside Hershey PA got them done overnight. Literally 24 hour turnaround time, and at under $150 per wheel with tax, it was better than buying another set that probably had clearcoat damage and rash as well. They powder coated the barrels as well as the spokes, then recut the faces and lips. Lifetime warranty on the clearcoat.

Now I have to pick tires…

wow those turned out amazing!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

My wife made lunch to celebrate. Note the broccoli salad pubes.

Normally you pay double for that kind of action!

My '13 CR-V needed the VTC actuator too. I sold it instead since I needed a truck anyway. :v:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BraveUlysses posted:

wow those turned out amazing!

BlackMK4 posted:

drat, dude, those look REALLY nice

Thanks guys. I was definitely nervous about it but the results exceeded my expectations. I’ll have to get a better shot of one when I get home from this work trip that conveniently had a wheel repair shop nearby.

Of course when I posted the “before” on the helldump that is Reddit, I got the comment “why didn’t you just buy AP2 wheels?”

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Thanks guys. I was definitely nervous about it but the results exceeded my expectations. I’ll have to get a better shot of one when I get home from this work trip that conveniently had a wheel repair shop nearby.

Of course when I posted the “before” on the helldump that is Reddit, I got the comment “why didn’t you just buy AP2 wheels?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

My Crown Vic no longer has a hole in the roof:

While I was sanding on stuff on the roof, I went after the areas of peeled paint.

Clearly, I didn't sand far enough.

I will re-address that at another time.

In addition to filling the hole, the headliner is out so I can do this:

And install the headliner that goes with it, which has a rear dome light and grab handles that the cop headliner does not.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Some (hopefully) better shots of the S2000 wheel results

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Jeez. If it weren't for the little bit of rash on the inside hub in that last picture I'd say those were new.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Today I eliminated the irritating squeak/ real coming from my drivers seat. Got some GT85 up into the top of the hinged supports which control the height of the seat and it finally went away. :hellyeah:

I don’t think anyone wants some poorly lit pictures of the underside of an electric seat so I didn’t take any.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Today I learned that GM used a different power steering pump on TBI and Vortec SBCs. It has an off set filler hole because the normal tear drop shaped one hits the huge bulky accessory mounts that came on those engines. Thanks GM.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Over the weekend I changed the front and rear pads and rotors on my wife's 2012 CR-V. A question to other owners of 2000+ Hondas with four-wheel disc brakes out there: do you have persistent issues with uneven pad wear in the rear brakes? I look after a few 5-20 year-old Hondas with rear discs and they always burn off one pad on each side while the other pad at the same wheel is only down to about 50%. Also, does your Honda wear down its rear brakes much faster than you would expect?

I finished painting all four of the winter wheels for my Pickup teal as shown above. My wife then asked me to dress up the winter wheels for her car as well. I've only painted one wheel so far, but it went from looking like this:

to looking like this:

When that was all done I washed her car and covered it with Meguair's ceramic wax and polished the headlights with Cerakote. I had just polished the headlights with 3M stuff about six months ago and they were already starting to look lovely again. Hopefully this stuff holds up better.

I used my Pickup to drag home a whole bunch of sod to hopefully fix some damage my dumbass dogs have done to the grass in the back yard. I've tried seeding the damaged areas with almost no germination. I've been avoiding any kind of fertilizer with any kind of herbicide, but I think my dogs just kill the grass before it even comes out of the seeds. Then I washed the truck and put it in the garage so I can put paint some trim black and buff some ceramic wax onto its 29-year-old paint.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I put a civilian headliner, with overhead console, grab handles, and rear reading lights, in my P71 Crown Vic.

Still got a little wiring to do to make the compass thing in the console work, and prep for the electrochromic rearview mirror with Homelink.

Also, I may have ordered some Thrush Turbo mufflers.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PBCrunch posted:

Over the weekend I changed the front and rear pads and rotors on my wife's 2012 CR-V. A question to other owners of 2000+ Hondas with four-wheel disc brakes out there: do you have persistent issues with uneven pad wear in the rear brakes? I look after a few 5-20 year-old Hondas with rear discs and they always burn off one pad on each side while the other pad at the same wheel is only down to about 50%. Also, does your Honda wear down its rear brakes much faster than you would expect?t.

It's not a 2000+ Honda, but my 97 protege would go through rear pads faster than the front.

Which pass are wearing faster? Inboard? Outboard? Is it always the inboard or outboard pad?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Also, I may have ordered some Thrush Turbo mufflers.
:swoon:

I'm curious how these sound against STR's straight pipes.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

It's not a 2000+ Honda, but my 97 protege would go through rear pads faster than the front.

Which pass are wearing faster? Inboard? Outboard? Is it always the inboard or outboard pad?

I can't remember. But I've changed several sets of Honda rear brake pads and the wear is never even. I think the rear brakes just need to be taken apart, cleaned, and re-greased periodically, like maybe once a year. I know for sure that on this last brake set, the slider pins would move, but they weren't exactly limber.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PBCrunch posted:

I can't remember. But I've changed several sets of Honda rear brake pads and the wear is never even. I think the rear brakes just need to be taken apart, cleaned, and re-greased periodically, like maybe once a year. I know for sure that on this last brake set, the slider pins would move, but they weren't exactly limber.

Sounds reasonable. I took to greasing the sliders on my Mazda every time I changed tires over in fall and spring and that definitely helped as I had the uneven wear a time or two with it. I don't think I ever had the issue with the rears on my Corolla for the last 13 years that I've had it. Doing the same twice per year.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 19, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

:swoon:

I'm curious how these sound against STR's straight pipes.

There will be video.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
4 15x10s in the back of the BRZ with room for at least two more with the front seats in their normal position. Feels good, man

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So it's the reverse of the Accord coupe, which has an enormous looking trunk that is shaped in a way that means nothing fits in it

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
new boot goofin

old:

new:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I did some things to improve my little truck. The first thing I did was to repair the door checks. These are the seldom thought of mechanisms that hold your door open when parked uphill. No one makes an aftermarket door check for this application, and Toyota units would be expensive or NLA. Some outfit in Russia of all places sells a kit of little plastic inserts that go into the original door check. It took about 20 minutes per side and is a highly recommended repair for any owner of an old Toyota. The door checking is now extra stiff.

My little Isis truck has had the wrong left side front corner light since I bought it and it has always bugged me, but never enough to do anything about it. Look at this awfulness. Its like it got punched in the eye. Which is probably pretty close to what actually happened to put it in this sorry state.

I ordered a new replacement that looked like it had black trim in the picture. The unit that arrived had gray trim. So I pulled off the right side corner light (original Toyota), masked, scuffed, and painted the trim on both. Then reinstalled.

While I had the sandpaper and the trim paint out I yanked the dinged-up wiper arms and painted those as well. I don't want to mask the whole truck to paint those corner parts of the windshield trim. I ordered some black vinyl and I'm going to take a stab at covering them that way.

I wasn't sure how to proceed with spraying clear coat on the winter wheels I painted teal to match the awesome 90s graphics on the side of the truck. I scuffed the base, painted a whisper-thin layer of new base coat (Rustoleum 2X), allowed it to dry and applied the clear (Rustoleum Wheel Coating) as directed. Most of it looks OK, but there is this one little spot that looks like there might have been some kind of reaction or maybe the base coat wasn't dry enough when I sprayed the first coat of clear. Its the just barely lighter spot. I couldn't get a good picture, but in person it kind of looks like one of those river table epoxy inlays.

I'm going to try another one of the center caps later with more dry time between the base and the clear and see what happens.

Edit: tried it on another center cap letting it dry for about 55 minutes of the "re-coat or clear within an hour window" and the result was much better.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 21, 2021

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Changed spark plugs on the wife's Explorer. Not too bad of a job, the intake comes off easily. Replaced the gasket even though I was still just fine at 130k miles. The plugs measured out at around .047", way out of spec. I'm pretty sure they were factory.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I forgot for a moment that Ford made one generation of a shameful FWD Explorer, and was having difficulty trying to parse that picture.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Was that the generation that you needed to remove the front wheel and fender liner to change bulbs on?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Boost gauge install on the lighter grey Mini. Prosport mechanical gauge - once I found a switched 12v instead of an always hot source, the install was cake.

Shift knob with a threaded adaptor on the dark grey Mini. It’s slated to become my son’s car and he got some no name eBay parts, just for shits and giggles. The slightly longer shifter due to the adaptor is kinda cool - almost like a rally-style shifter.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boost gauge install on the lighter grey Mini. Prosport mechanical gauge - once I found a switched 12v instead of an always hot source, the install was cake.

Shift knob with a threaded adaptor on the dark grey Mini. It’s slated to become my son’s car and he got some no name eBay parts, just for shits and giggles. The slightly longer shifter due to the adaptor is kinda cool - almost like a rally-style shifter.

Shifts and giggles

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Shifts and giggles

I appreciate this.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I might dunk on every BRZ that tries to roll race me on freeways, but drat you got me there...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Ranzear posted:

I might dunk on every BRZ that tries to roll race me on freeways, but drat you got me there...

My maserati biturbo can blow the doors off a BRZ, those things are SLOW.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ranzear posted:

Lmao as a BRZ owner I wouldn't try to drag race a minivan.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
somewhere out there, a bronco ii rolled over just so i could use its rims with a set of volvo to 5x4.5 adapters i pulled from the JY years back.

edit; it hasnt been washed since the PO parked it 3-4 years back so ill pull the seats and give everything a good cleaning inside & out next

this is the state i found it in earlier this summer:

so far ive replaced the steering, suspension, timing belt, harmonic balancer, and other mechanical bits along with various cosmetic stuff too.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 23, 2021

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

stone soup posted:

somewhere out there, a bronco ii rolled over just so i could use its rims with a set of volvo to 5x4.5 adapters i pulled from the JY years back.

Your volvo is awesome.

The clutch stopped working on my Fiat Panda 8 days ago, so last weekend i pulled it all apart and today i finished putting it all back together (except for the track rod ends which are waiting on an amazon delivery tomorrow)
Doing a clutch on a Panda is a poo poo job as there is no space in the engine bay and there is something in the way of every item..
Almost every single bolt is hard to reach or has to be located purely by touch and undone one click at a time.

The gearbox is hidden under the battery tray and ECU

To remove the gearbox you have to remove the exhaust, 2/3 engine mounts, the aux belt and tensioner, the alternator and the starter, then fight the driveshafts and lots of annoying wiring.
There is no drain plug on the box so you get covered in all the oil when you pull the driveshafts.
Then you have to remove the entire passenger side front wheelarch cover and side-member. To remove this member properly you first have to remove the headlights and entire front grille/bumper or use your angle grinder to remove all the captive nuts and then re-bolt it the other way round..

Then the gearbox will drop down

and you can drag the tiny little bastard out

My release bearing was hosed:

And the clutch plate itself was also destroyed

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 23, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

chrisgt posted:

My maserati biturbo can blow the doors off a BRZ, those things are SLOW.

Ranzear posted:

honda whisperer posted:

Lmao as a BRZ owner I wouldn't try to drag race a minivan.

lmao, agreed, they are not quick in a straight line

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Finished wiring the digital dash for the C10, the Speedo cable had this odd two piece setup. I assume it is because to get to the Speedo cable on the transmission you have to drop the fuel tank to get to it :v

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That may have also gone to a speed based emissions device. I had and threw away one that had been bypassed decades prior.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I believe it was also used for cruise control and since the engine was a crate engine and the transmission is not the original either it might have come from an F Body. Made things easier for now. Hopefully the steering column gets here in the week and I can get all that back together so I can move it around easier.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

All new pads and rotors on the dark Mini. Broke two T50 bits trying to get one rotor positioning screw out on the rear so the screw ended up getting death-wheeled off, and my old caliper compressor kit didn’t fit the tiny rear pistons on the Mini so I had to go get a new one. Other than that pretty standard brake job, just 2x as long due to the multiple trips out.

I used Power Stop’s EuroStop line of pads and rotors; ceramic pads and plain steel rotors should be perfect for my kid to hook around on.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Was changing O2 sensors on my new car which requires lifting up the carpet on the driver's side. That was soaked so it led to pulling the whole carpet out to dry it. Culprit was a clogged AC drain line.

https://i.imgur.com/vHxSm4K.mp4

Also have to pull the front cowl to get at the pre-cat O2, which exposes the weirdass windshield.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I was sick as hell this weekend, possibly from doing a lot of spray painting in my garage. I was wearing a 3M mask with the charcoal filters, but maybe that wasn't enough. Anyway.

Little truck windshield with bad corner trim:

Individual corners with black vinyl applied:

The whole windshield after this slapdash repair:

It doesn't look perfect, but it is a big improvement in my opinion. I don't know if painting those trim pieces would look any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you need the organic vapor filter for aerosols