Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Mezcal really is the most wonderful spirit (I mean, along with rum and scotch and gin), and you should try as many as you can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
4th-ing the Del Maguey

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Human Tornada posted:

I've never had mezcal before and would like to get a bottle to keep on hand for mixing, these are what's available in my local shop and in my price range, anybody have any thoughts?

PELOTON DE LA MUERTE
BANHEZ JOVEN ESPADIN AND BARRIL MEZCAL
EL SILENCIO MEZCAL ESPADIN
WAHAKA MEZCAL ESPADIN
DEL MAGUEY VIDA MEZCAL
MONTELOBOS JOVEN
ILEGAL MEZCAL JOVEN

The Banhez is one of my favorite mezcals and a great value for the price. It's excellent. In addition to the Del Maguey.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Get the Ilegal. It's great, and the company is pretty cool too. My friend is distribution rep for them.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Bahnez is fine and solidly occupies the "best rail mezcal if you just need to have a mezcal and need to keep costs down" but it's a pale comparison to the Illegal, which is far and away the best one on that list.

El Silencio / Wahaka are also fine but occupy the weird space of "The Bahnez is better for the price and the Illegal is so much better than the rest on that list it's not fair"

Most importantly, Del Maguey and illegal are made by genuinely good people.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Bahnez is fine and solidly occupies the "best rail mezcal if you just need to have a mezcal and need to keep costs down" but it's a pale comparison to the Illegal, which is far and away the best one on that list.

El Silencio / Wahaka are also fine but occupy the weird space of "The Bahnez is better for the price and the Illegal is so much better than the rest on that list it's not fair"

Most importantly, Del Maguey and illegal are made by genuinely good people.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Cool thanks everybody I'll probably go with the Illegal... I bought some rye today but I'm on a strict one bottle a week limit so next Friday I suppose.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Maybe I’m being a bit contrarian here but I find Del Maguey Vida really bland. Tastes like saliva. Ilegal and Banhez are both really solid but I haven’t seen anyone praise Pelotón de la Muerte here which is odd to me. It’s a really versatile cocktail mezcal at a competitive price point, plus it’s in a liter bottle which I always appreciate.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

For mezcal I'd like to add Yuu Baal to the list of recommendations. Their madrecuixe is out of this world good and they are a good company. Believe it or not Escorpion is a pretty interesting brand. The producer looks for as clean a distillation as possible so it highlights the differences between the agave varietals. I wouldn't say they are my favorite mezcals but if you're looking to learn about agave types then it's a great and inexpensive brand to pick.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Laocius posted:

I recently got a little bottle of St-Germain, but I’m not really sure what to do with it except add it to champagne or a white wine spritzer. Any other suggestions?

Excuse the double post but do a 1:1 ratio with cynar on rocks. It's dumb and also way better than it has any business being.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Did How To Drink's scotch coffee last night.

-1 oz peated scotch (I used 12 year shaeldaig Islay)
-2 oz Mr black
-1/2 oz simple syrup (I used my happy accident Demerara simple syrup that got slightly caramelized)
-Supposed to add cocoa bitters, but I used four dashes of hazelnut bitters.

Stir in the rocks glass with ice.

Layer cream (I used half and half, too much, first few sips were just cream, but it settled okay after that).

I cannot describe how good the combo of the coffee bitterness, caramel sugary sweetness, saltiness, and smoke go together, and the cream smooths it out and melds the flavors. The wife and I wouldn't shut up about it.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Pander posted:

Did How To Drink's scotch coffee last night.

-1 oz peated scotch (I used 12 year shaeldaig Islay)
-2 oz Mr black
-1/2 oz simple syrup (I used my happy accident Demerara simple syrup that got slightly caramelized)
-Supposed to add cocoa bitters, but I used four dashes of hazelnut bitters.

Stir in the rocks glass with ice.

Layer cream (I used half and half, too much, first few sips were just cream, but it settled okay after that).

I cannot describe how good the combo of the coffee bitterness, caramel sugary sweetness, saltiness, and smoke go together, and the cream smooths it out and melds the flavors. The wife and I wouldn't shut up about it.

Next time whip up your own cream with Sherry and angostura :)

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
I like banhez but we dont have a great selection around here

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Seconding Yuu Baal, I'm almost finished with a bottle of espadin and it's been quite good.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
After trying a few different mezcals, I settled on Fidencio for a mixer, which is also the first one I ever had. Not sure how common it is but it's widely available in DC. I think it's better than regular Vida.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
drat Lillet Blanc is good. I bought a bottle a couple months ago and I just opened it a few days ago to try it in some cocktails. Smells so good I'm having a glass of it by itself with dinner tonight.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Had an M&M (mezcal & montenegro) as a nightcap this weekend and it was stupid good. Smokey on the first sip, but mellow and sweet as it sat for a while. It may have been slightly sweeter because I reused a glass that had some marachino juice residue. Either way it was real good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Booties posted:

Had an M&M (mezcal & montenegro) as a nightcap this weekend and it was stupid good. Smokey on the first sip, but mellow and sweet as it sat for a while. It may have been slightly sweeter because I reused a glass that had some marachino juice residue. Either way it was real good.

50/50 on that?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Mr. Wiggles posted:

50/50 on that?

Yes.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

We put an m&m as a highball on our menu this season. Rarely gets ordered but when it does you know they're cool as hell.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Maaaaan I just finished my Montenegro and I haven't been able to find it at my local BevMo or couple-a grocery stores. Just put that one in Mixel so I remember to try it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

my kinda ape posted:

drat Lillet Blanc is good. I bought a bottle a couple months ago and I just opened it a few days ago to try it in some cocktails. Smells so good I'm having a glass of it by itself with dinner tonight.

Lillet is great stuff, I quite enjoy it on its own. The Lillet Rose is also quite nice.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Mmmm yeah

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Are there any downsides to subbing Cocchi Americano for Lillet in cocktails that call for Lillet? I've got a bottle I want to open and try out, I plan on trying a corpse reviver with the Cocchi but would be good to know other good options or things to avoid.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I’ve been told that the current Cocchi Americano formula is more accurate to the original Lillet Blanc (meaning how it tasted when those old drinks were put together) than the current Lillet Blanc is. I certainly use Cocchi in cocktails more than Lillet.

I will second Lillet Rosé being really lovely on its own. Probably too delicate to use in a drink in a distinctive way but who knows.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 19, 2021

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Booties posted:

M&M (mezcal & montenegro)

Oh snap I need to try this. I've been keeping Montenegro around to make Paper Planes for my wife (I can't find Nonino anywhere), and she hates mezcal but I sure don't.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
We used to do a shot after the dinner rush. A steady favorite was Rittenhouse and Montenegro. I'd say almost half the bartenders I knew switched from fernet to Montenegro as the shot of choice. It's delicious and lower abv.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh snap I need to try this. I've been keeping Montenegro around to make Paper Planes for my wife (I can't find Nonino anywhere), and she hates mezcal but I sure don't.

Montenegro is better in a paper plane than nonino imo.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Justa Dandelion posted:

Excuse the double post but do a 1:1 ratio with cynar on rocks. It's dumb and also way better than it has any business being.

:hellyeah: this is good

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I have a bunch of Bacardi silver that I will never drink so I decided to fat wash it with coconut oil. Did I just make Malibu?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Now all you need is half a bottle of 151 rum and some pineapple juice

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

my kinda ape posted:

IMO you should try the white cocchi americano next. it’s a little more bitter and so closer to what kina lillet was if that’s your speed (def better for a Vesper martini)

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

The Bandit posted:

Now all you need is half a bottle of 151 rum and some pineapple juice

Well I have smith and cross so I was thinking I’d do something with that

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Booties posted:

I have a bunch of Bacardi silver that I will never drink so I decided to fat wash it with coconut oil. Did I just make Malibu?

For real though I love to use Bacardi silver in a daiquiri with a few dashes of absinthe. Super refreshing when it's hot.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For real though I love to use Bacardi silver in a daiquiri with a few dashes of absinthe. Super refreshing when it's hot.

I’ll try this with Pernod. Been drinking lots of daiquiris. Was hoping the coconut washed Bacardi would be useful for a tiki drink.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm probably overusing it, but I've had a lot of fun adding a teaspoon of absinthe to things.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Booties posted:

I’ll try this with Pernod. Been drinking lots of daiquiris. Was hoping the coconut washed Bacardi would be useful for a tiki drink.

Howsabout a Riptide (Justin Wojslaw)?

1 lime juice
.25 passion fruit syrup
.5 ginger syrup
.25 falernum
1 aged Jamaican rum (Coruba)
1 coconut rum (Koloa)

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Booties posted:

Well I have smith and cross so I was thinking I’d do something with that

make a jungle bird. make a really fuckin hot jungle bird.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Justa Dandelion posted:

make a jungle bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I just made a random drink. Everything measured in oz. something like a daiquiri, but sweeter like a tiki drink

0.75 smith and cross
0.75 coconut washed Bacardi
0.5 nonino amaro
1 lime
0.25 cherry herring
0.25 rich simple
1-2 dash ango
Shake and serve over ice with a Luca rod maraschino Cherry and lime peel

I didn’t pour it over ice or add the simple until afterwards bc it was a little hot.

I liked it. Pretty hot that’s for sure