Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Jel Shaker posted:

hmm the drinks menu says this shot of oil is $3, but if you add up all the externalities it actually costs $3000 once the bill is due?

Just put it on the tab, we'll deal with it later what's the big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
pffft tap water is lower ph come on now, fake news

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the royal family getting into environmentalism as a hobby is especially perverse because it wasn’t that far back you could find them making a species of bird extinct in india for bants

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Earth is shot.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
lol the US would lose a shooting war with china outright

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bathtub Cheese posted:

lol the US would lose a shooting war with china outright

The only war the US won was the war for independence, it's been downhill ever since.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
re: the PH thing - believe it has something to do with when most of the mollusks start dying and their deaths start putting out massive amounts of CO2? I can try to find it in the book

The PNW is already experiencing things being too acidic and its eating away oyster shells here.

anyway I went on a walk and saw a cool owl

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The modern day royal family is what happens if a group of billionaires had literally nothing to ever do all day but contemplate the guilt of their own existence

Well, that and kill animals for ornaments' sake.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Xaris posted:

probably because it's mostly a fake paper even though the trends and basic biochemistry of carbonic acid formation and equilibrium is true

it doesnt take much changes in ph (a log scale) to start various calcites/carbonates to dissolve. i think oysters and poo poo are already barely able to reproduce and grow anymore.

Yeah, a commercial scallop farmer picked up on that in the northern Salish Sea in the early 2000s. His scallop spat was deformed and not setting properly. Turns out the Salish Sea doesn't have as much buffering capacity as previously thought and tiny scallops are sensitive little snowflakes.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Broken Box posted:

uniquitous plastics in consumer products and the food supply poisoning everyone? -- that's okay, I'll keep eating that garbage
ITS ENDEMIC

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

FistEnergy posted:

At this point I'll be genuinely surprised if we don't have widespread social unrest and major life changes for everyone by 2030

Rectal Death Adept posted:

have you considered the world's largest carbon capture plant was just opened in iceland

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
name one thing a scallop has ever done for me

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
okay so we just need to grow things in the ocean that can survive acid. What can survive acid?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

okay so we just need to grow things in the ocean that can survive acid. What can survive acid?

plastic?

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
You know, I find it almost impossible to read or understand the environmental scientific analysis of doom and despair that gets posted here. Does anyone have a simple resource for illustrating how hosed we are? Just like, nice and easy graphs and statements and whatnot. A one stop apocalypse shop. Would be much obliged, since right now all I have is a general sense of despair that I can't actually articulate or justify. it's just the impression that absent-mindedly scrolling this and the last thread has left me.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Samuel Glompers posted:

You know, I find it almost impossible to read or understand the environmental scientific analysis of doom and despair that gets posted here. Does anyone have a simple resource for illustrating how hosed we are? Just like, nice and easy graphs and statements and whatnot. A one stop apocalypse shop. Would be much obliged, since right now all I have is a general sense of despair that I can't actually articulate or justify. it's just the impression that absent-mindedly scrolling this and the last thread has left me.

charts about the yearly frequency of extreme weather events vs several different climate models is a great place to start

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
google how much ocean life and insect life has been lost in the last 50 years, that's all you really need. rising temperatures and such are scary but aren't as visceral and immediately obviously problematic

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samuel Glompers posted:

there isnt really going to be what you're looking for because no one really knows.

we know poo poo is hosed up hella bad.

but we dont know exactly whats going to happen or how bad it will be. the chance of all of the bad possible outcomes are far higher than they've ever been or ever should be.

and anything less than complete transformation of society won't even get us close to preparing for what is coming.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

yea and I’ve got a ten-year plan to get clean of heroin, I swear I mean it this time, I promise!!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The best way I've found to concertize climate change is to get very specific and local.

So look up the climate impacts to the places you know and love, and steel yourself knowing the outcomes are likely to be grim.

"The lake I learned how to swim in is going to disappear" works in the brain better than "500,000 fewer acre-ft a year will be available for reservoir storage by 2045 etc etc"

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the lake i grew up around will lose the equivalent of thirty seven billion square ferrets in the next septillion nanofortnights

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

my brother bought an electric snowblower this weekend. we were remarking that it would probably last longer than there will be snow anymore in new jersey

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
isnt most of the snow there like sickly sleet poo poo these days

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there is still a relative shitload of polar air that can slap a few areas in the face unexpectedly before we finally defeat it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

my brother bought an electric snowblower this weekend. we were remarking that it would probably last longer than there will be snow anymore in new jersey

im sure there will be more freak blizzards even if there's never any other snow

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

more energy at the poles can mean the jet stream gets significantly weaker and the polar air drifts south so there will probably continue to be a lot of “polar vortex” events, possibly increasing the amount of snow in places like New Jersey. certainly increasing the number of very cold days.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the worst part of Seattle getting 20 feet of snow is they'll never shut the gently caress up about it

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
less overall snow cover (because of abnormally hot days melting all the snow) more blizzards, more ice storms, more black outs

its gonna be great not even vermonters are safe

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Samuel Glompers posted:

Charts of ice melt/loss. Charts of insect/ocean diversity and animal biomass. CO2 PPM. Number and size of wildfires. The picture a few pages back of the dam. The picture showing animal biodiversity mass of domesticated vs wild. The RCP 8.5 prediction of worst case vs what's actually occuring overlayed. Various temperature records broken daily, weekly, and seasonally in both local and worldwide contexts. Vaguely keeping track of the 'THIS IS UNPRECEDENTED!!!' that keeps occurring more and more often. Uh a graph of top soil loss. That's off the top of my head.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

hobbesmaster posted:

more energy at the poles can mean the jet stream gets significantly weaker and the polar air drifts south so there will probably continue to be a lot of “polar vortex” events, possibly increasing the amount of snow in places like New Jersey. certainly increasing the number of very cold days.

it's gonna be like 70f most of dec. except for one week of -20f with 13ft of snow in a weekend. then 120f with flash flooding the first week of jan.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Charts of ice melt/loss. Charts of insect/ocean diversity and animal biomass. CO2 PPM. Number and size of wildfires. The picture a few pages back of the dam. The picture showing animal biodiversity mass of domesticated vs wild. The RCP 8.5 prediction of worst case vs what's actually occuring overlayed. Various temperature records broken daily, weekly, and seasonally in both local and worldwide contexts. Vaguely keeping track of the 'THIS IS UNPRECEDENTED!!!' that keeps occurring more and more often. Uh a graph of top soil loss. That's off the top of my head.

Thank you, these are excellent starting points. Gonna go continue my current coping strategy of smoking as much weed as possible before industrial agriculture collapses, take care goons :okpos:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

that didn't work back in the day either

quote:

On April 23, 1945, Pittsburgh’s legal landscape bustled with activity. As a U. S. Grand Jury convened at the federal courthouse, Montana Senator Burton K. Wheeler, chair of the Senate’s War Food Investigation Subcommittee, marched into town to conduct hearings. Both focused on one issue: black-market meat in Pittsburgh. They were responding to headlines garnered by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reporter Ray Sprigle, who set out in the Spring of 1945 with his old truck, “a bundle of cash,” and a healthy dose of persistence to see how much illegal meat he could round up around Pittsburgh. Ranging within a 30-mile radius, he gathered more than a ton of illicit steaks, chops, and other cuts.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

today in minneapolis the high was 80 degrees and we are <50% peak colors lmao (typically the peak season should end oct 15)

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Samuel Glompers posted:

This could be a good goon project

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Samuel Glompers posted:

to start and let people add-on:

Arctic Death Spiral: https://www.scientistswarning.org/2021/06/15/arctic-death-spiral/
Last thick sea ice breaking: https://www.severe-weather.eu/cryosphere/thick-sea-ice-arctic-breaks-stratospheric-warmings-rrc/
Bumblebees gone already from a lot of america: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/american-bumblebee-has-vanished-from-eight-us-states-180978817/
75% of insects are dead: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/25/the-insect-apocalypse-our-world-will-grind-to-a-halt-without-them https://www.pnas.org/content/118/2/e2023989118
we're dumping radioactive fracking fluid into rivers and roads for funsies: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/oil-gas-fracking-radioactive-investigation-937389/
meat is over 2/3rds of all ag emissions: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/13/meat-greenhouses-gases-food-production-study
"clean" energy is a lot of lol https://scarp.ubc.ca/sites/scarp.ubc.ca/files/energies-14-04508%20%283%29.pdf
the planet is dying faster than we thought: https://www.livescience.com/ghastly-future-global-crises.html

plastics are strangling the life out of the oceans and plants and killing off humans. and we aren't going to stop: https://www.euronews.com/green/2021/10/01/babies-are-full-of-microplastics-new-research-shows https://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/47521/20210920/european-lakes-alarming-concentrations-microplastic-pollution-previously-thought.htm https://www.technologynetworks.com/applied-sciences/news/growth-of-microscopic-marine-animals-hindered-by-microplastics-352098 https://www.pnas.org/content/118/31/e2104610118 https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/02/microplastic-pollution-devastating-soil-species-study-finds https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/22/microplastic-pollution-in-oceans-vastly-underestimated-study

methane lol

sizeble portion of the west coast burnt down and massive parts of australia burnt down recently:

lol we're gunna run out of water where all the food is grown:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I would make a graph about the impact of the world's largest carbon capture plant that just opened in Iceland but it's hard to show -3600 on a graph that starts at 43,000,000,000

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1448672446631055368

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Complications posted:

that didn't work back in the day either

Nor did it work during the oil crisis in the 70s. People would swap license plates to be able to fill up whenever they wanted because it was oriented to odd/even end numbers on the plates.

COVID definitively answered the question "how would American/Western society respond to being asked to sacrifice the smallest amount for the greater good?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Holy poo poo did I get a BS prob for posting in the other thread. Three days because I wanted to clarify that I wasn't suggesting violence, because I dared to suggest in the future some people may try to guillotine the rich when things get bad. I was in a bad mood and posted over there, thought better of it and was going to edit my post, and was already probed. I am never going back to that thread again. On top of which, then multiple posters broke clear rules in the thread "dunking" on me, and got no probes, including one that vaguely suggested if I think it's this bad I'm a coward for "not doing something about it". A few posters kept it real, but drat that thread.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you thread for helping me crack ping and I'm actually in a good space on my end. Venting here (and seeing others do the same) has allowed me to become much cheerier in my real life, and when I see something nuts I just start humming "that funny feeling" and move on with my day. This and the Covid thread also helped make me not just a regular old liberal going "Biden's fine" and now I just sort of chuckle when my friends are disappointed in him.

At least Japan is restarting their nuclear power plants. That will save the day. Right? Right?..