Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Regional forms aren't buffs for the original or anything but if you're a fan of a pokemon and they get a neat new variation it still feels pretty rad and it's cool to take a pokemon and put a spin on them.

Regional forms are pretty sick tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Regional forms aren't buffs for the original or anything but if you're a fan of a pokemon and they get a neat new variation it still feels pretty rad and it's cool to take a pokemon and put a spin on them.

Yeah, as a long term Raichu fan giving me a different psychic surfing Pokemon that's kinda Raichu doesn't really make the dude I was trying to make work work after all this time but he's still really cool in his how right and I'm still glad to have him

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeah, as a long term Raichu fan giving me a different psychic surfing Pokemon that's kinda Raichu doesn't really make the dude I was trying to make work work after all this time but he's still really cool in his how right and I'm still glad to have him

A-Raichu is pretty sick in a Dynamax format or paired with Tapu Koko (or perhaps Indeedee-F). Not meta, but gets some work done.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yup. They usually don’t get any change in base stat total and only minor readjustments to the stats they do have, if that. Some of them are objectively better than the original counterparts and, as of Galar onwards, some have exclusive evolutions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mfcrocker posted:

A-Raichu is pretty sick in a Dynamax format or paired with Tapu Koko (or perhaps Indeedee-F). Not meta, but gets some work done.

A-Raichu with Pincurchin is a terror of lower tiers

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Thinking of new regional variants, in SWSH VGC a popular team archetype was G-Weezing with Regigigas, due to G-Weezing's Neutralizing Gas ability. It works well, but after awhile the meta shifted to using regular Weezing instead because the /fairy tying was actually a detriment due to the steel weakness. It's easier to throw a Shuca berry on normal Weezing and only worry about the rare psychic type attacks than it is to have to choose Shuca or Babiri and still be vulnerable to one or the other. Also normal Raichu is used way more often in VGC than A-Raichu because Lightning Rod is a great ability.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Plasbad posted:

Thinking of new regional variants, in SWSH VGC a popular team archetype was G-Weezing with Regigigas, due to G-Weezing's Neutralizing Gas ability. It works well, but after awhile the meta shifted to using regular Weezing instead because the /fairy tying was actually a detriment due to the steel weakness. It's easier to throw a Shuca berry on normal Weezing and only worry about the rare psychic type attacks than it is to have to choose Shuca or Babiri and still be vulnerable to one or the other. Also normal Raichu is used way more often in VGC than A-Raichu because Lightning Rod is a great ability.

It's amazing to me they literally crippled Regigigas out of the gate and have never course corrected.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Flopsy posted:

It's amazing to me they literally crippled Regigigas out of the gate and have never course corrected.

I love Regigigas's design so much, and had been trying to make it work for years. Dynamax format VGC has been the best for the old giant, he's a real legitimate threat now.

Also they finally gave it the ability to learn Protect this generation, so that's a plus!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you want to use Regigigas Melmetal is right there for you to smash that mf double iron bash button

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Countblanc posted:

If you want to use Regigigas Melmetal is right there for you to smash that mf double iron bash button

If Melmetal was VGC legal I'd definitely be using it, but unfortunately it's another "mythical" Pokemon like Mew.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Flopsy posted:

Had it come out a few years later, it would probably have been given two forms: Slumbering and Awakened that would activate with an item. That way it could still have a weak and powerful states, but they could give it abilities that could actually benefit it. Anything would be an improvement over it being kneecapped in every battle. Even Slaking is better off than that.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Regigigas now has access to Protect and Rest, which really helps out in stalling for Slow Start to wear off (although 5 turns is still an eternity in Pokemon).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It'd be usable, if niche, if Slow start's timer just didn't reset when you switch

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I was going to make a joke about "Fast Start" Regigigas but I guess that's just Literally Slaking

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I forget, did slow start still count down in rotation battles

if yes, that's another reason they never should've been removed

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Just play doubles and pair it with Weezing for that Neutralising Gas combo

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Oh hit it with Gastro Acid. Or Worry Seed. Or Simple Beam, which could actually be hilarious if done right (but mostly you'll get crippled by the opponents Intimidate even harder). Doubles is so much fun for all the zany stuff you can do.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Geostomp posted:

Had it come out a few years later, it would probably have been given two forms: Slumbering and Awakened that would activate with an item. That way it could still have a weak and powerful states, but they could give it abilities that could actually benefit it. Anything would be an improvement over it being kneecapped in every battle. Even Slaking is better off than that.

The Touhoumon fangame TPDP actually addresses the issues with Regigigas and makes it into a strong competitive Pokemon, but it's not necessarily good for the game to have that be a real competitive archetype. If the archetype is good then every game turns into a minigame to get out of the Slow Start and win with a really overpowered Pokemon, and it stops being fun after the first few sweeps.

For reference, the Regigigas replacement is Power Yukari and it is a Special version of Regigigas, with slightly worse defenses than Regigigas and 150 base spatk instead of 160 base atk. It has real types rather than normal but there's no direct comparison as the type chart in that game is totally different from Pokemon. The big change is instead of Slow Start doing nothing after 5 turns, it changes the ability to "Serious," which gives +1 speed and +1 spatk at the end of each turn. The typical moveset is Protect/Rest/2 attacks, but also commonly runs the equivalent of Confuse Ray.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Plasbad posted:

Oh hit it with Gastro Acid. Or Worry Seed. Or Simple Beam, which could actually be hilarious if done right (but mostly you'll get crippled by the opponents Intimidate even harder). Doubles is so much fun for all the zany stuff you can do.

I was just thinking something simple like the fact that most legendaries get at least two abilities. Literally ANYTHING but slow start would be an improvement. And even that mere crust of bread is a bridge too far apparently. It's up to us to come up convoluted ways to make the poor Golem king not suck and that's just dumb. It's been years for gently caress sakes.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Plasbad posted:

remember back in Diamond and Pearl when removing slow start caused regigigas' stats to stay halved, because the ability worked by halving stats then doubling them at the 5 turn mark

that was fun

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sometimes a pokemon's gimmick is bad, and that's fine I guess? Like kinda sucks for Regigigas but I don't think it's really an issue that he hasn't been buffed or whatever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

I was just thinking something simple like the fact that most legendaries get at least two abilities. Literally ANYTHING but slow start would be an improvement. And even that mere crust of bread is a bridge too far apparently. It's up to us to come up convoluted ways to make the poor Golem king not suck and that's just dumb. It's been years for gently caress sakes.

It’s like half and half for legendaries having Hidden abilities. Generally if their ability is unique(or levitate/beast boost) they won’t have one.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i think slow start would be better if it buffed regigigas' defense a little bit during the starting turns, but even without that, it makes it unique and interesting to play around with, so it's not completely bad

the only legendary ability that's bad is pressure, because it's just boring and usually pointless

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

It’s like half and half for legendaries having Hidden abilities. Generally if their ability is unique(or levitate/beast boost) they won’t have one.

The stinkiness is baked in then. Ugh.

Blaziken386 posted:

i think slow start would be better if it buffed regigigas' defense a little bit during the starting turns, but even without that, it makes it unique and interesting to play around with, so it's not completely bad

the only legendary ability that's bad is pressure, because it's just boring and usually pointless

I guess if you're looking for a challenge the poor thing's enjoyable. And I really do love the design but it's ability breaks it's legs so hard I have trouble using him IN GAME. It's just nuts.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I now have a Raichu in a dream ball with celebration and wish, and I’m real happy about it. It’s still not my Raichu’s with fly or surf from Soul Silver, but I’ll take what I can get these days.

Don’t forget about those Pikachu and Eevee codes from Best Buy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Blaziken386 posted:

I do not think pressure has ever made a difference at any point of any of my playthroughs

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
slow start is 5 turns, right? if it were 4 turns would Regigigas be viable? 3 turns?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1450446638221303809?s=20

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Blast those 18th century video recorders.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Zuzie posted:

Blast those 18th century video recorders.

But Lord Arceus gave me a smartphone from the future.

I guess the video recording software is bad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Does anything interesting happen in that video

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

mandatory lesbian posted:

A person gets murdered by something cute, I guess.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

There's a snorunt.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

It hints at the cameraman discovering some undiscovered and cute Pokemon but then he gets attacked, maybe by the Pokemon's parent or something.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I gotta say: I enjoyed that. I'm a sucker for found footage, and the implication of some chump getting murdered by the adorable new Pokemon he just discovered is pretty hilarious.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Hints as presented in the video:

-Easily mistaken for Growlithe or Vulpix
-Red tipped tail
-Very cute
-White fur on head and around neck
-Round yellow eyes

Sounds like it could be a Hisuian Zorua. It's already got noticeable head and neck fur, a red marking on its head that could easily be moved to the tail, is about the size and shape of a Vulpix, and being cave-dwelling could change its eye colour.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
This video seemed perfectly set up to have Froslass as the yuki-onna/blair witch, so much so that I feel like someone in marketing had a great concept for halloween and their boss wasted it hinting at a new pokémon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's Pikachu

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait....or could it be PikaBLU!?

The mon of legend will finally appear! Making it red was the perfect way to catch us all off guard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

:gamefreak:

FUUUUUCK