Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/18/macbook-pro-hdmi-2-0-port/

Confirmed that the HDMI port on the new MMBPs is HDMI 2.0 and not the most current 2.1 which would have given us 4K @ 120Hz..

To get the 48 Gigabit needed for 2.1 they probably would have had to use up another TB port?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I find the lack of rose gold max disappointing.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Seems like a good balance of dedicating bandwidth to TB4 ports since you can still use HDMI 2.1 through the TB port if you want, while providing people a mean to connect via HDMI on a whim.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I guess the Max branding is well established with the phones, but M1X sounds a lot like MMX if you're an old.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Confirmed that the HDMI port on the new MMBPs is HDMI 2.0 and not the most current 2.1 which would have given us 4K @ 120Hz..

To get the 48 Gigabit needed for 2.1 they probably would have had to use up another TB port?

Does MacOS support VRR on external displays?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Apple will make many things obsolete but making their $5,000 XDR display obsolete is even a bridge too far for them. They won't do 120hz till they can sell the display to run it.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 19, 2021

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Binary Badger posted:

In theory TB4 supports DP 2.0 which should support 4K 120, at least based on wikipedia.

If anyone puts out an HDMI 2.1 USB-C dongle that might work?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I got the high spec 14" 1TB with 16GB of ram but I'm so torn about getting 32gb of ram with the lower 14core gpu and 512gb drive for less than $100 more.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how thirsty the keyboard marketing is:

quote:

For the first time, Magic Keyboard brings a full‑height function key row to MacBook Pro — with the tactile feel of mechanical keys that pros love. It includes new keyboard shortcuts for Spotlight, Siri, Dictation, and Do Not Disturb. And Touch ID has a new, tactile ring that guides your finger for a fast, easy, secure way to unlock your Mac.

But drat if they aren't serenading right under my balcony

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Don't forget your official Apple Polishing Cloth.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MM6F3AM/A/polishing-cloth

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm not trying to be rude here, but who needs this much power? i'm fascinated by the technology, sure, but what kinds of programs require this kind of power? 3d modeling/advanced graphics, i get. but do people do those on laptops? what other use cases are there?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I can finally post again, so I just want to say I can't believe I called the $2000 starting price on the 14 inch. Boy does it look like a lot more machine than I need, and boy do I want it.

I'm very curious what the actually difference will be between the 8 core pro, the 10 core pro, and the 10 core max in terms of real world tasks. (I'm assuming for photo editing not much, for video renders more?) And I doubt I need more than 16 gigs of ram... but I'll probably do 32 gigs to be on the safe side.
As for the 1TB versus 2TB.... ugh. Maybe just grab a 1TB SD card for stock photos I want to keep on my device, and safe some money. Either way, I won't buy anything till reviews are out and everything's been sorted. But drat are these good machines.

Other fun fact, while the 14 inch is thicker than before, it's actually slimmer than the beloved 13 inch MBP 2015 I'm writing this on, and weights I believe exactly the same. Now if Apple will just come out with cheaper external displays and mini pro's, and the bigger iMac I'll be even more indecisive.

I'm happy they are keeping the cheaper AirPods around too, and I'm curious if the new ones fit as well. (I prefer that style over the more in ear feel of the AirPods Pro).

Can you pair two mini speakers yet or no?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

abelwingnut posted:

i'm not trying to be rude here, but who needs this much power? i'm fascinated by the technology, sure, but what kinds of programs require this kind of power? 3d modeling/advanced graphics, i get. but do people do those on laptops? what other use cases are there?

The answer for 99% of random consumers is "Video games"

The others, like you mentioned, are people using them for work machines. The bigger advantage is that especially these days, most businesses would prefer to issue a laptop only, and thus let people easily move between home/work in an office while not losing any capability.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

The answer for 99% of random consumers is "Video games"

The others, like you mentioned, are people using them for work machines. The bigger advantage is that especially these days, most businesses would prefer to issue a laptop only, and thus let people easily move between home/work in an office while not losing any capability.

not to sound too out of touch and old, but are there games on macs now? i mean, we all know the amount of games paled in comparison to pc's amount of games years ago. has that changed?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

LionArcher posted:

I'm happy they are keeping the cheaper AirPods around too, and I'm curious if the new ones fit as well. (I prefer that style over the more in ear feel of the AirPods Pro).

Same. The silicone tip style buds never fit me right, and even if you get custom
IEMs, I don’t like the feeling of it. You can hear your heart beat and your teeth knocking into each other when you have that much isolation, and it gets sweaty.

Regular-rear end AirPods are some of the most comfortable things I’ve ever worn, and they already sound surprisingly good. If the new ones step up the audio game further, they’ll be awesome.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm not going to fuckin lie: Imma gonna spend 20 bucks on a cloth. These screens just pick up everything. I always thought people were disgusting pigs when I had to handle a MacBook with its screen off.

Then I bought one.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

not to sound too out of touch and old, but are there games on macs now? i mean, we all know the amount of games paled in comparison to pc's amount of games years ago. has that changed?

There's been some pretty impressive work emulating certain games. For instance, Dolphin apparently runs great on it with very little effort. But in terms of new PC games I don't think so. I'm curious if things like fallout 4 or Skyrim run on it. when I do upgrade in 2022 sometime, I'd love to have those if I'm traveling. it would save me bringing my switch too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Going by the performance comparison bar-graph thingys for various applications on the marketing site, it sorta feels like the M1 Pro would do just fine for almost everything I do (mostly developing, not a lot of GPU-heavy stuff), and the Max has exactly the same numbers for the CPU comparisons as the Pro — the only benefits you get with the Max are in GPU performance. Am I reading that right?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Data Graham posted:

Going by the performance comparison bar-graph thingys for various applications on the marketing site, it sorta feels like the M1 Pro would do just fine for almost everything I do (mostly developing, not a lot of GPU-heavy stuff), and the Max has exactly the same numbers for the CPU comparisons as the Pro — the only benefits you get with the Max are in GPU performance. Am I reading that right?

You can only get 64GB of RAM on the Max, but other than that, yeah, I think so.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

incoherent posted:

I'm not going to fuckin lie: Imma gonna spend 20 bucks on a cloth. These screens just pick up everything. I always thought people were disgusting pigs when I had to handle a MacBook with its screen off.

Then I bought one.

yeah i've had my ipad pro for a week and i am real fuckin tempted to just get another cloth to keep with it

where does it all even COME FROM

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

abelwingnut posted:

Stuff exists, but it's long been a chicken and egg problem. Why make games for a platform that has no good graphics options? Why demand good GPU options for a platform with no games?

Etc, etc.

Now the baseline is vastly more capable than before, and the top line is a full powered gpu that's equivalent to last generation's top end desktop card.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gwaihir posted:

Stuff exists, but it's long been a chicken and egg problem. Why make games for a platform that has no good graphics options? Why demand good GPU options for a platform with no games?

Etc, etc.

Now the baseline is vastly more capable than before, and the top line is a full powered gpu that's equivalent to last generation's top end desktop card.

I was checking on this situation, and Mac gaming seems to be in much worse shape than it was 5 or 10 years ago. If you go back, all of the Valve and Blizzard games were launching on Macs too, and a good number of other bigger budget games.

Now not only does big stuff not land on Macs, but games that used to work on Mac no longer do. Team Fortress 2 and left 4 dead lost Mac support and won't run anymore. Guild Wars 2 dropped their Mac client this year, which had been working well since launch. Freaking Rocket League lost Mac support, and that is the perfect kind of broadly appealing game that should be succeeding here.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just catching up on the new Macs, they look great, but oh so pricey. I wonder if you can actually render 3d stuff on them? Like leave V-Ray working overnight and such?

Before the M1, it seemed a very bad idea to render on a laptop, all that overheating, but now...

Data Graham posted:

I love how thirsty the keyboard marketing is:

But drat if they aren't serenading right under my balcony

They had a solid 5 years of Terrible Keyboards, this is a selling point to me (affected by a couple of crappy keyboards on a Macbook pro, saved by AppleCare)

This plus the ports and huge ESC key tells me the Jony Ive era at Apple is officially over

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ohh, also: RIP Touchbar, we hardly knew ye

edit: AND Magsafe is back! good times, back to 2015

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 19, 2021

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

abelwingnut posted:

Pretty easy to use more than 16GB of ram just running vms, forcing you to get 32GB on these new laptops.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

The Max also has more memory bandwidth I think, so CPU stuff will potentially run faster on it but it is hard to say by how much. Probably not worth the cost of upgrading unless you are going for 64GB of ram.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’m buying one to polish off my nuts.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perplx posted:

Pretty easy to use more than 16GB of ram just running vms, forcing you to get 32GB on these new laptops.

I work in software development and have a ton of services and IDEs and text editors and docker images running. It adds up

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If your the developer that can chew through 25gb+ of ram then I say go for it. One of best philosophies my absent CEO bestowed on me when buying hardware is "Get you devs the best. You're paying that person a lot of money to sit around.". C-levels and devs are fast tracked the nice toys.

Everyone else, I'm going to need receipts.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also lol that this is the first MBP chassis in like a decade that has just been a rounded rectangle in profile, without that fake-out chamfer that makes the edges look ~~*SUPATHIN*~~

What with the iMac finally ditching the knife-edge rounded-back optical illusion style and going to a plain slab, it feels like a decade of early-iPad-derived groveling-at-the-feet-of-pointless-thinness has finally come to an end

(I know someone who will sneer at these machines for being almost thick enough to have RJ45 jacks but not having them though)

(no it wouldn't work)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

incoherent posted:

If your the developer that can chew through 25gb+ of ram then I say go for it. One of best philosophies my absent CEO bestowed on me when buying hardware is "Get you devs the best. You're paying that person a lot of money to sit around.". C-levels and devs are fast tracked the nice toys.

Everyone else, I'm going to need receipts.

There’s a ton of stuff that benefits from ram and lower memory pressure . Even Lightroom and photoshop.

akadajet fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 19, 2021

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

I get it but I’m coming from a 2018 MBA with 16 GB and the thing is like a chrome book with how fast it goes. This is still going to complement my desktop but I’m erring on the side of performance this time.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Also lol that this is the first MBP chassis in like a decade that has just been a rounded rectangle in profile, without that fake-out chamfer that makes the edges look ~~*SUPATHIN*~~

What with the iMac finally ditching the knife-edge rounded-back optical illusion style and going to a plain slab, it feels like a decade of early-iPad-derived groveling-at-the-feet-of-pointless-thinness has finally come to an end

(I know someone who will sneer at these machines for being almost thick enough to have RJ45 jacks but not having them though)

(no it wouldn't work)

Getting that hack Jonny Ives out of Apple has been the smartest move they’ve made. His nonsense was unsustainable.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hed posted:

I get it but I’m coming from a 2018 MBA with 16 GB and the thing is like a chrome book with how fast it goes. This is still going to complement my desktop but I’m erring on the side of performance this time.

Don’t apologize for getting what you want. (As long as you’re not buying android)

akadajet fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 19, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

akadajet posted:

Getting that hack Jonny Ives out of Apple has been the smartest move they’ve made. His nonsense was unsustainable.

I miss him saying Aluminium tho

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I miss him saying Aluminium tho

You can pay a European on Fiver to do this for you for reasonable rates.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Has anyone gone from 15-16" to 13-14"? I'm thinking about downsizing. I use my laptop mainly for software development and also some DAW stuff. most of the time my laptop is just a second screen but I do like to work from the couch pretty frequently, and if I'm travelling it's my only screen. But also if I'm travelling the added portability is nice.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I think I'm going to wait for next year's update. Just spending way too much money this year to really justify it at all considering it would most likely be used to maybe watch some movies, make the occasional video and compile some code... I think my complaint now is no longer the macbooks but the way Apple has handled MacOS as a developer environment. It does seem like a great device if its what you need, but I figure I'll wait until I'm traveling more before I splurge. Kinda bummed a little about the lack of FaceId given the big notch but probably won't stop me if its not in next year.

I'm actually interested in seeing what universal binaries and all this extra horse power will do for gaming (I'm hoping its more than Apple's usual show off the graphics but don't get any developers to develop for it kinda thing)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Strong Sauce posted:

I'm actually interested in seeing what universal binaries and all this extra horse power will do for gaming (I'm hoping its more than Apple's usual show off the graphics but don't get any developers to develop for it kinda thing)

It's hilarious how Apple and the biggest gaming engine developer who could enable thousands of games to easily, effectively target MacOS also are engaged in a corporate death feud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I've been wanting a new laptop for a while now, when the M1s came out I said I'd wait for the next gen. Well I did, and I'm loving stoked. I ordered the base 16". After ordering I saw the trade-in thing, they're offering me $480 for my 2014 15", wow. It works fine, battery is good, the trackpad is squishy, and the coating on the screen is like, not good. Will they give me $480?