Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Sometimes i fullscreen cmd prompt and paste some garbage in there and stare at it while praying for death.

My boss thinks I'm debugging a macro in excel or something, I'm not going to correct him. I'm not a code guy.

When doing Mac troubleshooting I like to open a terminal window and run top, which is a character-mode Unix process manager. This was especially effective at the ad agency where I'd been able to set the terminal in the standard image to green on black. People thought I was in the loving Matrix. And sometimes I'd catch a hung process or one pegging the CPU to 100%.

Quitting. Heh.

Back at the hosed up little telemarketing company, my first full-time IT gig my boss basically turned his back on me. Our biweekly meetings stopped happening, some scheduled trainings were cancelled, and I found out he had an open req for the position he'd told me he was grooming me for. After another skipped meeting, Isent an email saying that if he skipped out on the next one, there "would be consequences". Two weeks later, he isn't in his office so I go looking. Sure enough, he's interviewing someone and giving them a tour. I quit on the spot, a spot that was out on the calling floor, so it was extremely public.

I came in the next day to get my stuff and exchange contact info with a few people. The HR manager, DM, tried to get me to sign something saying I'd quit without notice. LOL, gently caress signing that. DM was pretty okay, for an HR professional. The only thing she really didn't get was why, when she was walking out with a departing employee (voluntary, just shooting the breeze with them) and she'd say what was up, she always got a really puzzled look when people would say "congratulations !" to the person leaving. About a year later I showed up for her going-away party - great social scene at that place - and she pulled me aside and told me that the minute she submitted her resignation, she understood why people said "congratulations" to people leaving the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Me: for the new job posting, please don't put in artificial requirements that wipe out the internal candidate pool

Manager: (stares blankly, includes requirement applicants must have already worked in our IT dept for a year despite that no past hires ever have, disqualifying 99% of potential hires)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I told my boss I was leaving for a better position with perks that paid more and her response was "But you're on the list for a raise!"

Suuuuuurrrrre I am :downs: Hard not to be, considering how hard you screwed me on salary. But I think I'll take my chances with the new guys...

A couple jobs ago when I told my boss (who had threatened to fire me if I didn't work while I was on my honeymoon a year prior) I was leaving her only reaction was "Are they going to pay you more?" and when I admitted it wouldn't, at least at first, but the drive was only 20 minutes vs. an hour and a half her only reaction was "well, at least you'll get paid what you're worth now." I had increased the profit on my product line by 25% in my first year and was the only thing keeping our group afloat. I think she was sure I was going to take her job if I stayed any longer.

I saw her at a brewery a couple years back and had to keep my wife from confronting her.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Honestly it's fine because genuinely about 10% of a coder's time is actually spent typing. The rest is problem solving which is the critical skill. Not typing super fast.

Who needs to problem solve? Just copy/paste the relevant code directly from stackoverflow.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

mllaneza posted:

When doing Mac troubleshooting I like to open a terminal window and run top, which is a character-mode Unix process manager. This was especially effective at the ad agency where I'd been able to set the terminal in the standard image to green on black. People thought I was in the loving Matrix. And sometimes I'd catch a hung process or one pegging the CPU to 100%.

"top"

"top"

"ksh: top: not found"

Sigh

"topas"

"topas"

"ksh: topas: not found"

Siiiiiiiiigh

"nmon -h"

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I can touch type and carry on a conversation ... But I never learned to touch type numbers :(

I always have to look, for whatever reason.

I like being good enough at touch typing where I'll 'feel' a typo without looking at the screen then backspace however many times, to fix it.

I have a gov't job, but my field is so small, I don't think I'll be able to advance much further, but it's a chill job, and I like it.

Some IT, but much more telecommunications, which is kind of merging with IT now, and I'll have to learn new poo poo. BLech

-also recently have been deemed exempt from furlough. So if the gov't does shut down again, I get to go to work for free. Yes, they have always paid those people, but it's a buncha BS, regardless.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Mm yes that’s what the slow typists all said. I don’t believe it though. If you can type quickly on autopilot while thinking or talking, you have the immense advantage that you can think via code and verify your thoughts programmatically, rather than sitting there thinking and then slowly tapping it out as two separate procedures. You can also take really good notes during meetings and you can work much more effectively remotely, because you won’t have to call unnecessary meetings or zoom chats to discuss things simply because your typing is too slow to express yourself properly. Fast typing IS a critical skill for programmers, people just don’t want to say so because it sounds petty or manual-laboury (“I don’t work with my hands, I work with my brain!”), that’s my opinion anyway

Your opinion is bad and wrong. If the speed at which you develop software is significantly impacted by your typing speed, you are a lovely programmer.

Your goal as a developer should be to get the job done with as few symbols as possible while still being self-documenting. You can add code if necessary to optimize for speed or memory usage, but only if those shortcomings are identified in test.

I mean sure, you can bang away at that boiler for 8 hours if you want your employer to think you're being "productive", but I would prefer to just turn the one screw that's causing the problem, thanks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i feel like typing quickly makes it way easier to provide thorough documentation

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

i feel like typing quickly makes it way easier to provide thorough documentation

Just write self-documenting code :v:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I always feel that really verbose comments wind up being redundant like
code:
tokenID++; //Increment the token ID by one
documentation is nice but you shouldn't need to tell a story or detail yesterday's lunch in it. If you can name stuff well and detail what's needed in comments then you don't need to be Mavis Beacon to code effectively.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Tarkus posted:

I always feel that really verbose comments wind up being redundant like
code:
tokenID++; //Increment the token ID by one
documentation is nice but you shouldn't need to tell a story or detail yesterday's lunch in it. If you can name stuff well and detail what's needed in comments then you don't need to be Mavis Beacon to code effectively.

I started commenting that way out of spite when a TA docked me points on an assignment. This class's professor had you both submit your files as well as print out the whole loving thing and turn in a physical copy, so maybe it was at the professor's urging. Now I do it out of habit.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Comments exist to explain why you did a thing.

If your comment explains how you did it, pick better variable/function names.

Fake edit: if your function name includes the word “and”, take a step back and think about what you have done.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Fake edit: if your function name includes the word “and”, take a step back and think about what you have done.

Oh. poo poo.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Limited exception for verb_thing_and_thing, but think on it.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I've never used 'and' in the name of a function before but I will sometimes combine functionality in order to reduce the number of function calls on a slow microcontroller.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I press buttons in a program that barely keeps itself from crumbling under its own weight cause Deloitte is very good at doing their job badly. Which means I’m just as cool as all you computer peckers.

and thats the way it was
Feb 14, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea I press buttons in a program that barely keeps itself from crumbling under its own weight cause Deloitte is very good at doing their job badly. Which means I’m just as cool as all you computer peckers.

EMS? Or something else equally as bloated?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'm still in touch with colleagues from my previous job and today poo poo hit the fan: WFH had been reduced to a single fixed day per week a while ago, and today the boss announced that he was "WFH" for two weeks from some tropical location.
Rules for thee but not for me.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Mm yes that’s what the slow typists all said.

I'm a fast typer and have managed coders of varying degrees of typing ability and I can assure you it has no correlation to how much they can get done. I'm sure you think you're some superstar coder and perhaps you are (I would even say you probably are), but it's not because you type fast.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Batterypowered7 posted:

Who needs to problem solve? Just copy/paste the relevant code directly from stackoverflow.

Please don't show my manager this post. He still thinks I'm magic.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
The slow typists are the guys who type “Hi” and then show “Jim is typing…” on Slack for 15 minutes before they suddenly appear at your desk because they gave up, I just want everyone to remember that before you defend them ;)

Most of what I said about typing speed wasn’t about bashing out code like mad, it’s about minimising the barrier between your thoughts and your main communication tool, which is most likely text (unless your workplace loves hallway meetings). If someone has to think real hard to speak, or they can only speak slowly, then they’re obviously going to find things difficult. Imo same goes for typing. I type more than 10% of the time but it’s not coding. Anyway your opinion may differ, I’m aware mine is ‘wrong’ so I don’t say it at work.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

The slow typists are the guys who type “Hi” and then show “Jim is typing…” on Slack for 15 minutes before they suddenly appear at your desk because they gave up, I just want everyone to remember that before you defend them ;)

Most of what I said about typing speed wasn’t about bashing out code like mad, it’s about minimising the barrier between your thoughts and your main communication tool, which is most likely text (unless your workplace loves hallway meetings). If someone has to think real hard to speak, or they can only speak slowly, then they’re obviously going to find things difficult. Imo same goes for typing. I type more than 10% of the time but it’s not coding. Anyway your opinion may differ, I’m aware mine is ‘wrong’ so I don’t say it at work.

In the context of coding that's not who we're talking about. Those people will never make it into an entry level coding job, and if they do they'll be quickly removed. I argued that problem solving speed is more important that typing speed and I don't think you've adequately argued against that.

By your own admission your definition of a slow typer is someone who can't manage to type two letters and hit enter within a timespan of 15 minutes. How did you possibly expect that to match with anyone else's understanding of "slow typer"?

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 19, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The slow typists are the guys who type “Hi” and then show “Jim is typing…” on Slack for 15 minutes

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

In the context of coding that's not who we'r

Just gently caress already

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Just gently caress

This is good advice I gotta admit

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Not until he shows his typeracer

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Posting from work to say that I now have THREE footrests and TEN highlighters, but I still do not have a stapler, tape, or access to drinking water.

Two more weeks...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Limited exception for verb_thing_and_thing, but think on it.

function verbThings(array things)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Wpm is a horrible way to measure your typing. The only true way to measure your prowess with the keyboard is Typing of the Dead Overkill from Sega

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

Wpm is a horrible way to measure your typing. The only true way to measure your prowess with the keyboard is Typing of the Dead Overkill from Sega

Ahh yeah a man of refined tastes.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Posting from work to say that I now have THREE footrests and TEN highlighters, but I still do not have a stapler, tape, or access to drinking water.

Two more weeks...

So you...I guess you can sit on one footrest, rest your feet on the other two, and defend your desk fort with a light saber made of the ten stacked-together highlighters...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mormon Nailer posted:

So you...I guess you can sit on one footrest, rest your feet on the other two, and defend your desk fort with a light saber made of the ten stacked-together highlighters...

I see you have fought in office wars during slow times as well.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I had a coworker unable to print a document from a public site, so I downloaded it to my phone, connected it via usb to our photocopier, and printed it there. This was so magical that I still regularly have people come to me, the janitor, instead of going to the IT dude. Honestly it's kinda nice when it doesnt conflict with my lunch break

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Zil posted:

I'm a decorated veteran of the Post-It Wars of 2007 -2010.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Mormon Nailer posted:

I'm a decorated veteran of the Post-It Wars of 2007 -2010.

Very decorated. Still can't get all the glue off.

Today my boss asked if I thought I didn't have a future at this place and I said, "It's not that, I just really don't want your job." And without blinking she replied, "Of course not, it's poo poo."

loving lol

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

happyhippy posted:

The new system was designed by a group of fuckwits that missed simple UI stuff.

That's what happens when systems are designed by people who will never use it and have no idea how it actually needs to be used.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
yes, please stop replying all I reply all in reply to the previous reply all messages about the futility of replying to all

Lamech fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 19, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Zil posted:

My teams has about 10 Nerf guns for the seven of us. And about a hundred foam stress balls.

We all have desks facing the wall around an area about... 12'x 24'? And all like to use headphones so they're good ways to get someone's attention.

Also for wars.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Oh good managers figured out we have a Gchat for 50 people and are spamming it with work anniversary notices for people to reply to throughout the day.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Very decorated. Still can't get all the glue off.

Today my boss asked if I thought I didn't have a future at this place and I said, "It's not that, I just really don't want your job." And without blinking she replied, "Of course not, it's poo poo."

loving lol

Anyone who actually wants a manager position is either a sociopath or incapable of doing the job they're trying to manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's what happens when systems are designed by people who will never use it and have no idea how it actually needs to be used.

Taking a Human Computer Interaction course and one of the biggest points they try to hammer home is "You are not your user." They pretty much encourage involving your target audience as much as possible.