Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

secretly best girl posted:

You never played Valdis Story, clearly.

Never heard of it!

goferchan posted:

That's a pain in the rear end, but missable sidequests are definitely something I associate with Dark Souls

Fair point. I thought the metroidvania influences would be stronger, though. Ah well.

I'll get back to Blasphemous in a while, cooling off from my irritation with Total Annhilation (such a good RTS) and more the Void Rains Upon Her Heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Never heard of it!

Good game but if you hate missable side quests you're going to have issues with it.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just finished up Mighty Goose, and it was...ok. Not saying it was bad or anything, but let's just say I'm glad I got to play it on Gamepass. I'm new to the Gamepass thing, but it has really let me find a lot of gems (particularly indie ones like ScourgeBringer) that I kicked myself for missing: gems so brilliant I find myself buying another copy on Itch/Steam to show my appreciation. Mighty Goose, unfortunately, felt very forgettable and half-baked.

Again, I wouldn't say it was bad: probably my fault for seeing so much twitter footage of it beforehand and getting hype, thinking it was gonna be gold, only to wind up with bronze. It does have some cool moments to it, particularly some of the vehicle sections and some of the bosses, that provide some wild and cuh-ray-zee spectacles. For the most part, though, those moments are few and far between, and the game just has you going through the same flat levels fighting the same few types of enemies in very similar formations, over and over. When the game wasn't being boring with its levels or forgettable token upgrade system, muted/missing sounds or barebones story that relies too much on goofy non-sequiturs, it was either being overly frustrating from its inconsistent checkpoint system, bad feeling default gun, terrible enemy telegraphs/bullets hidden underneath way too many explosions and special effects, wonky hitboxes, and random slow-mo kicking it at the worst times, or it was being overly easy with it constantly dispensing opportunities to go 'mighty', aka go invincible and cheese your way through encounters/bosses with no effort. After beating the all-too short Mighty Goose, I didn't have the heart to go through the new game plus for it: tried one level, saw it didn't do anything significantly different and quit. Contrast to my trip through Jet Lancer which was very worth the 2nd run (I'd do it even if they didn't lock the true ending behind it).

Maybe I'm being overly harsh to an indie game or some such thing: I will admit that perhaps I do have a slight bias against games where I get the feeling they sell themselves completely on the goofy, memey art but don't have solid gameplay to back it up. This isn't the worst offender in that case, as it was still decent, and I suppose a good example of the power of Gamepass in providing opportunities to try these oddities: they ain't all gonna be gems after all!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 19, 2021

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ultrafilter posted:

Good game but if you hate missable side quests you're going to have issues with it.

More specifically: rewards are tied to your rank on a boss, which you have to reload to replay, no practice mode. Taking too long on certain quests leads to NPCs or possibly entire villages dying. There are definitely missable bosses. Etc.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had a good time with Outriders, I wished I waited for it to come out on gamepass because we all knew it would eventually but eh. Bring a friend if you can.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haven't read this thread in a few dozen pages, I assume others gotta be posting about how good The Riftbreaker is.

I just got a warning of a huge wave about to attack... And they're spawning all right next to my giant indefensible Battery Farm at the edge of the map that I cannot build a Fence around. poo poo poo poo poo poo. Set up as many towers as I can before the attack begins... And then they went in the complete opposite direction, attacking a much more poorly fortified corner of my base - but the rocks form a natural chokepoint lmao. Look at all their stupid bug eyes in the dark waiting to be burned to a crisp.

Not always in the mood to play this game, and I usually can't play for hours at a time but when I do play drat this is a good game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FutureCop posted:

Just finished up Mighty Goose, and it was...ok. Not saying it was bad or anything, but let's just say I'm glad I got to play it on Gamepass. I'm new to the Gamepass thing, but it has really let me find a lot of gems (particularly indie ones like ScourgeBringer) that I kicked myself for missing: gems so brilliant I find myself buying another copy on Itch/Steam to show my appreciation. Mighty Goose, unfortunately, felt very forgettable and half-baked.

Again, I wouldn't say it was bad: probably my fault for seeing so much twitter footage of it beforehand and getting hype, thinking it was gonna be gold, only to wind up with bronze. It does have some cool moments to it, particularly some of the vehicle sections and some of the bosses, that provide some wild and cuh-ray-zee spectacles. For the most part, though, those moments are few and far between, and the game just has you going through the same flat levels fighting the same few types of enemies in very similar formations, over and over. When the game wasn't being boring with its levels or forgettable token upgrade system, muted/missing sounds or barebones story that relies too much on goofy non-sequiturs, it was either being overly frustrating from its inconsistent checkpoint system, terrible enemy telegraphs/bullets hidden underneath way too many explosions and special effects, wonky hitboxes, and random slow-mo kicking it at the worst times, or it was being overly easy with it constantly dispensing opportunities to go 'mighty', aka go invincible and cheese your way through encounters/bosses with no effort. After beating the all-too short Mighty Goose, I didn't have the heart to go through the new game plus for it: tried one level, saw it didn't do anything significantly different and quit. Contrast to my trip through Jet Lancer which was very worth the 2nd run (I'd do it even if they didn't lock the true ending behind it).

Maybe I'm being overly harsh to an indie game or some such thing: I will admit that perhaps I do have a slight bias against games where I get the feeling they sell themselves completely on the goofy, memey art but don't have solid gameplay to back it up. This isn't the worst offender in that case, as it was still decent, and I suppose a good example of the power of Gamepass in providing opportunities to try these oddities: they ain't all gonna be gems after all!
I agree, it is mechanically OK but pales in comparison to actual Metal Slug. The two big issues: not having the gorgeous 64-bit animation and color design of Metal Slug, and not having the memorable setpieces and boss design of Metal Slug. Mighty Goose is very 16-bit, with very plain animations, and as you said, the stages are flat and samey. I actually didn't find the bosses to be as powerful in presentation as Metal Slug's, especially with MS's epic music. It plays just fine though so.. it's a C+/B- game is what I'd say.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

I think so, but you may need to change the extension. DuckStation has a built-in memory card manager though.

Well... I spent 2 or 3 hours trying to open the save in duck emulator. I used memcardrex and the tool in the emu. Tried a lot of things. One clue I found said maybe pcsxr's simulated bios doesn't make good save files? I loaded with another bios instead in the same program, which wouldn't read the same save card. Presumably the emulator's save states (that is, not the PS memory cards) are not compatible between programs. Is there anywhere that's good to ask about things like this? I might have to admit I'm SOL at this point. The game is really cool, but it's not exactly the kind of game where you'd want to play the first six hours twice. Pcsxr is a bad program. Zero of the features work other than the actual emulation, so I can't use the savestates or change the resolution or anything, plus it crashes fairly often. The cutscenes in vandal hearts ii are sometimes over 20 minutes, which doesn't seem necessary, and sometimes with combat it will be a long time between when you can save. Oh, 1999!

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

FutureCop posted:

Out of curiosity, what, other than ScourgeBringer, grabbed you?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol if you ever used cover

The game owned to play for the first 7 days before they started loving things up in the name of "balance" (for a single-player/co-op game lol)

i didn't i used the pseudo-mass effect vanguard class, that doesn't make it not an utterly generic 3rd person cover looter shooter

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

secretly best girl posted:

You never played Valdis Story, clearly.

I'm just happy to see someone else mention this game. I liked it and thought it was going to be a Bigger Deal but I think Hollow Knight or something else very similar came out right after and permanently jacked that spotlight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was one of those games where they kept patching it when people weren't playing it the way they wanted.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Valdis Story's actually a bit older, it's from 2013/2014 I think... the main thing is it's got stun locking on attacks which I wasn't a fan of when I played through it because there's a lot of platforming and it's annoying to get hit with a projectile mid jump and then you just stop and sink like an anchor.

also when I played it back then they launched without an actual ending and they had comic book panels depicting what part of the ending might look like lol

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The 7th Guest posted:

Valdis Story's actually a bit older, it's from 2013/2014 I think... the main thing is it's got stun locking on attacks which I wasn't a fan of when I played through it because there's a lot of platforming and it's annoying to get hit with a projectile mid jump and then you just stop and sink like an anchor.

also when I played it back then they launched without an actual ending and they had comic book panels depicting what part of the ending might look like lol

Yeah, it launched in a really incomplete state. When you started it showed like four playable characters... but only one was actually useable, with the rest "coming soon". It just felt rough around the edges back then, I'm sure it's more complete now.

I think that was before Early Access was a thing? Or at least when it was very limited, not available to all developers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Begemot posted:

Yeah, it launched in a really incomplete state. When you started it showed like four playable characters... but only one was actually useable, with the rest "coming soon". It just felt rough around the edges back then, I'm sure it's more complete now.

I think that was before Early Access was a thing? Or at least when it was very limited, not available to all developers.

The original Kickstarter wanted $8k, which seems hilariously low, and they ended up with a little under $50k. People really wanted Metroidvanias on PC in the early 2010s and got super hyped up for anything that even remotely resembled it.

Rogue Legacy was also 2013 and had quite a lot of hype for it.

Going by release date there's a few games from that time I kind of have memory of being discussed in order of release

ARES Extinction Agenda
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Guacamelee
Strider
Valids Story
Ori and the Blind Forest
Axiom Verge
Salt and Sanctuary
Hollow Knight 2/24/2017
Bloodstained 5/24/2018

As you hit 2018 you're getting like 2/3rds of the "metroidvania" games listed on steam compared to all previous years.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 19, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah Valdis Story is an ancient metroidvania by today's standards but I also think it was never going to be a super popular one because it's just too hard and mechanically fiddly.

DatonKallandor posted:

Microsoft nuked the existing controller standard and replaced it with their (at the time) new xbox standard. Pretty obviously to push people into buying xbox pads that "just work", despite the fact that they would have also "just worked" if they had made them use the already existing standard.

repiv posted:

The existing "standard" was barely a standard, there was a common API for sending gamepad events to a game but no consistent definition of what those events actually mean. Is button15 the X button? Dpad left? L3? Who knows, better just ask the user to manually map everything.

The newer standard nails down all the button definitions so it really just works out of the box every time

Stux posted:

except it nails them down specifically to only whats on an xbox controller, removing half the number of axes, limiting total button count to 10, and removes the ability for other controllers to be easily compatible. it also means things standard on every controller but the xbox controller, like gyro support, is completely lacking. there was nothing stopping them from having windows map that stuff sensibly w directinput and handle the naming internally. in fact the main limitation w directinput that everyone ran into was specific to how they made the 360 pad driver handle everything rather than a problem with the standard. the move to xinput was purely to make their own controllers the default by being the only ones natively compatible.
Yeah it would have been better if Xinput was instead some sort of standardized subset of DirectInput that maintained compatibility with all the old DirectInput controllers and just made sure that every new controller knew that BUTTON 2 = X and BUTTON 8 = START or whatever. But instead they had to create an entirely new incompatible standard for some reason.

It's a good and useful standard, mind you. It's made supporting gamepads so much easier across windows, linux, android, etc. But still.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 19, 2021

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

TitusGroen posted:

Out of curiosity, what, other than ScourgeBringer, grabbed you?

From Gamepass, it's too early for me to have a big list as I'm only just starting my journey through it, tasting the various indies and such. ScourgeBringer was definitely one that surprised me in that it was a game that looked like it was just another random-generated room-based roguelike thingy that there are so many of and therefore, it wasn't high on my list of priorities. And while it is still that same ol' roguelite gamey game, Gamepass letting me try it and seeing how good the combat flowed really impressed me.

Games I've tried so far on Gamepass were
The Ascent - Cool combat at times, and definitely an impressive city to look at, but felt like the game was constantly getting in its own way with bad RPG mechanics, empty backtracking, confusing sidequests/navigation, etc
ScourgeBringer - Super cool, stylish, flowing combat that you can get into that killing trance with, very satisfying feedback and feels good to get more skilled
Going Under - Quirky and unique art style and a good attempt at Dead Rising-esque improvisational combat, but just seemed to get a bit stale and combat felt very wonky and floaty (though it could just be the weird 'arm-flailing inflatable person' animations tricking me)
Neon Abyss - so bland I barely gave it a chance even with Gamepass, maybe I'll revisit as perhaps I wasn't fair
Wolfenstein The Old Blood - a pleasant surprise after I didn't like New Order: probably because this one cut to the chase and kept the pace up with more action, less cinematics
Dandy Ace - still early into it, seems like a decent Hades-esque game, combat is fast and I like the setups you can work together with cards either being used as abilities or amplifying them
Mighty Goose - As 7th Guest said, a C+/B- Metal Slug clone

Now that I look at it, I seem to be having a bit off a 50/50 split so far. Makes sense though since I suppose I'm using Gamepass to play games I'm unsure about (and usually unsure about for good reason).

If I were to recommend some choice lesser-known games I've played that are on Gamepass that might be passed up otherwise, I'd highlight:

Children of Morta - nice hack-and-slash game which does that whole neat 'story progression through repeated deaths treated as canon' thing that Hades does (could be passed up due to slow/boring start and lack of satisfying feedback, also weird ending)
Curse of the Dead Gods - incredibly satisfying roguelite ARPG with awesome Dark Souls-esque top-down combat that is challenging but fair, along with interesting risk management through curses, light/dark, greed kills, etc (could be passed up due to lack of story, hard difficulty, and being yet another roguelike)
Hypnospace Outlaw - combines that cool detective aspect from games like Obra Dinn/Gone Home with the hacking/fake OS appeal from games like Uplink, very cool to see the story come together piece-by-piece through scraps (could be passed up just from being such a weird genre and maybe thought of being too memey/referential/cringy with the whole early internet vibe)

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 19, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there are games that are leaving gamepass at the end of the month that I'd recommend to people:

Celeste - a modern platforming classic
Carto - a cute puzzle game about rearranging the world map in order to satisfy certain goals or to free up a path to progress
Unruly Heroes - admittedly I only played the first level but it seemed neat, a journey to the west ish platformer by former Rayman Origins/Legends people (also has a very UbiArts-style look and feel)
Eastshade - a calm and casual open world walking simulator with a painting mechanic, and lots of characters and quests to take

I still have to play Knights and Bikes, which is also leaving at the end of the month. It looks very cute and wholesome but I kept putting it off.. I assumed that Double Fine publishing it would mean it'd stay on Gamepass but since that happened prior to the Microsoft acquisition I guess not

also the Five Nights at Freddy's games are leaving but who cares

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been getting into Ender Lilies. Really nice atmosphere, good soundtrack.

The difficulty spike after second boss the witch seems pretty brutal. I'm level 25 or so and all the enemies in the Catacombs take me out in seconds. I've mostly been using the big hammer guy as standard and the whirlwind attack, but I think I may have to go back to Umbral knight because Gerrod doesn't one-shot enemies here anymore.

The parry is kinda hard to get right. Do people use the knight or the item? Seems like only the former does a counter, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol if you ever used cover

I refuse to ever use cover in video games because I feel that it is the coward's way

In other, possibly related news, I'm not very good at most cover shooters

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

2 really good games releasing in 3 hours:

Inscryption - a creepy fusion of a card game and The Room-environment puzzles from the creator of Pony Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN5GSIWIN1k&t=11s

War Mongrels - new generation Commandos that seems as good as Desperados 3 or Shadow Tactics if it's not even more polished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qzA-8EDZPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3LwAapIoI8

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

War Mongrels looks cool, thanks for the heads up. Bummed I missed that demo but I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

explosivo posted:

War Mongrels looks cool, thanks for the heads up. Bummed I missed that demo but I'll have to keep an eye on it.
I forgot to write that the game has online co-op where each player controls a separate character on the same level which might be a big selling point for co-op fans.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Palpek posted:

War Mongrels - new generation Commandos that seems as good as Desperados 3 or Shadow Tactics if it's not even more polished.

Super looking forward to War Mongrels. I've been dying for more Shadow Tactics / Desperados since playing both last spring.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Palpek posted:

2 really good games releasing in 3 hours:

Inscryption - a creepy fusion of a card game and The Room-environment puzzles from the creator of Pony Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN5GSIWIN1k&t=11s

The store page and trailers for War Mongrels are remarkably short on details, but I think you are fighting against the Nazis, right? The protagonist of the trailer and multiple party members seem to have served in the Wehrmacht until 1944 though, when the war is already most definably lost for them though, so I'm not sure what you're going to be doing. Switching sides to make Germany lose slightly faster? Did their conscience coincidentally kick in as defeat became obvious?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^The trailer does say one of the guys was "drafted then deserted" soooo I'm going to assume you don't play as a Nazi...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Darkrenown posted:

The store page and trailers for War Mongrels are remarkably short on details, but I think you are fighting against the Nazis, right? The protagonist of the trailer and multiple party members seem to have served in the Wehrmacht until 1944 though, when the war is already most definably lost for them though, so I'm not sure what you're going to be doing. Switching sides to make Germany lose slightly faster? Did their conscience coincidentally kick in as defeat became obvious?
That second video I posted has the starting story beats (at about 50 second mark). You start off controling 2 Wehrmacht soldiers that become deserters after they're ordered to commit attrocities on the Eastern Front. The demo had you killing strictly Nazis like in the Commandos. I don't know the next story beats from then on though, judging from the graphics on the Steam store there will be more characters added to the line-up presumably from Allied forces.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sab669 posted:

Haven't read this thread in a few dozen pages, I assume others gotta be posting about how good The Riftbreaker is.

I just got a warning of a huge wave about to attack... And they're spawning all right next to my giant indefensible Battery Farm at the edge of the map that I cannot build a Fence around. poo poo poo poo poo poo. Set up as many towers as I can before the attack begins... And then they went in the complete opposite direction, attacking a much more poorly fortified corner of my base - but the rocks form a natural chokepoint lmao. Look at all their stupid bug eyes in the dark waiting to be burned to a crisp.

Not always in the mood to play this game, and I usually can't play for hours at a time but when I do play drat this is a good game.

Seems like most of the riftbreaker discussion is over in the management games thread. I finished the campaign the other day and overall really enjoyed the game. There are a few tedious and frustrating missions, and a few things that weren't explained well (cultivators, :argh:), and some of the late game attacks have bad frame drops. I also think I had the final mission bug out on me which made it underwhelming compared to what I was expecting. But drat, the graphics and overall feel of the game is great. I love the base building and running around with the mech killing bugs and gathering stuff. There's enough depth to keep things interesting regarding base building choices but not too deep to be overwhelming like factorio. I'm going to be giving the survival mode a try on a higher difficulty to try and build a less spaghetti base than I did on my campaign playthrough.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Palpek posted:

That second video I posted has the starting story beats (at about 50 second mark). You start off controling 2 Wehrmacht soldiers that become deserters after they're ordered to commit attrocities on the Eastern Front. The demo had you killing strictly Nazis like in the Commandos. I don't know the next story beats from then on though, judging from the graphics on the Steam store there will be more characters added to the line-up presumably from Allied forces.

Yeah, it's just it seems iffy they didn't notice any warcrimes going on until 1944 when it was very obvious they were losing is all. Since there's very little story details shown and it's by the Hatred devs I'm worried it's going to go in a weird direction. The gameplay looks interesting, but I'm going to hold off until there's some detailed reviews.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

it's by the Hatred devs

lol so much for that one

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

J posted:

Seems like most of the riftbreaker discussion is over in the management games thread. I finished the campaign the other day and overall really enjoyed the game. There are a few tedious and frustrating missions, and a few things that weren't explained well (cultivators, :argh:), and some of the late game attacks have bad frame drops. I also think I had the final mission bug out on me which made it underwhelming compared to what I was expecting. But drat, the graphics and overall feel of the game is great. I love the base building and running around with the mech killing bugs and gathering stuff. There's enough depth to keep things interesting regarding base building choices but not too deep to be overwhelming like factorio. I'm going to be giving the survival mode a try on a higher difficulty to try and build a less spaghetti base than I did on my campaign playthrough.

I haven't had any FPS issues, but I was fortunate enough to snag a 3070 last year. But yea the general 'feel' to the game is supreme, everything has such a good weight to it. I could happily just run around and mow down trees and mushrooms and punch rocks in that sandbox.

And I was hoping there'd be like a NG+ mode because holy poo poo my home base is just a sprawling mess of containers and batteries and random buildings and no roads. No idea what the parameters are for Survival mode, but it sounds like it could be fun and I usually never do "post campaign content" like that in most games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, it's just it seems iffy they didn't notice any warcrimes going on until 1944 when it was very obvious they were losing is all. Since there's very little story details shown and it's by the Hatred devs I'm worried it's going to go in a weird direction. The gameplay looks interesting, but I'm going to hold off until there's some detailed reviews.

In the demo at least, one of them (played by Geralt) was a conscript from some slavic country I don't think exists anymore and seemed much more savvy to the whole thing, the other was a sheltered daddy's boy who was only ever used in propaganda until he ran out East near the end there. In the intro they both refuse to execute POWs and get drafted for, uh, "mine-clearing duty" where they make their escape.

Tbh it mostly made me want to go back to Shadow Tactics which I then didn't do either. :shrug:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Darkrenown posted:

it's by the Hatred devs
Ok poo poo, I haven't looked at the studio at all. The demo didn't shy away from showing Nazis doing the most attrocious things and didn't seem to paint them in any sort of positive light but the studio is definitely a giant red flag.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Sab669 posted:

I haven't had any FPS issues, but I was fortunate enough to snag a 3070 last year. But yea the general 'feel' to the game is supreme, everything has such a good weight to it. I could happily just run around and mow down trees and mushrooms and punch rocks in that sandbox.

And I was hoping there'd be like a NG+ mode because holy poo poo my home base is just a sprawling mess of containers and batteries and random buildings and no roads. No idea what the parameters are for Survival mode, but it sounds like it could be fun and I usually never do "post campaign content" like that in most games.

I'm only a couple hours in and loving it. But oh poo poo, my first base is my forever base? I assumed it was like Warcraft where you progress through maps, my layout is awful, I just built stuff as I needed it, wherever. Also I just lost about 1/3 of it because I wasn't paying attention, maybe I should restart.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I've been getting into Ender Lilies. Really nice atmosphere, good soundtrack.

The difficulty spike after second boss the witch seems pretty brutal. I'm level 25 or so and all the enemies in the Catacombs take me out in seconds. I've mostly been using the big hammer guy as standard and the whirlwind attack, but I think I may have to go back to Umbral knight because Gerrod doesn't one-shot enemies here anymore.

The parry is kinda hard to get right. Do people use the knight or the item? Seems like only the former does a counter, though.

I never really used any of the parries and just relied on constantly dodging through enemies, but my brother is near the end of the game and says the headless shield knight parry is extremely good for the whole game. The default item parry is weaker because it’s infinite.

I never really used gerrod and used umbral knight + dark witch eleine for my primaries for a majority of the game. I also never unequipped guardian siegrid once.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Aren't the developers Polish? So they probably hate the Nazis, if not necessarily for all the right reasons.

Very few in the real-life Wehrmacht deserted, even those that had no love for Nazism, and even in 1945, so these fictional characters are actually showing a lot of commitment in that regard.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Sloppy posted:

I'm only a couple hours in and loving it. But oh poo poo, my first base is my forever base? I assumed it was like Warcraft where you progress through maps, my layout is awful, I just built stuff as I needed it, wherever. Also I just lost about 1/3 of it because I wasn't paying attention, maybe I should restart.

You shouldn't really need to restart, just keep building out and sell and rebuild stuff to work better. I'm like 10 hours in an never restarted due to the same issues, it's just as easy to expand out and rework your stuff after you're settled with more space

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sloppy posted:

Riftbreaker is more like a "HUB system " kind of game. You'll be jumping back and forth between the zone containing first base (read: your Headquarters) and various different zones ("Outposts") on other parts of the planet.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Phlegmish posted:

Aren't the developers Polish? So they probably hate the Nazis, if not necessarily for all the right reasons.

Very few in the real-life Wehrmacht deserted, even those that had no love for Nazism, and even in 1945, so these fictional characters are actually showing a lot of commitment in that regard.

If they're Polish that makes a lot of sense. The official line is that nobody collaborated with the Nazis and if you mention that quite a few Polish Catholics were quite happy to get rid of their Jewish neighbours you are the real Nazi.

Also, slavic conscripts? From what I remember there were volunteer forces and forced labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I never really used any of the parries and just relied on constantly dodging through enemies, but my brother is near the end of the game and says the headless shield knight parry is extremely good for the whole game. The default item parry is weaker because its infinite.

I never really used gerrod and used umbral knight + dark witch eleine for my primaries for a majority of the game. I also never unequipped guardian siegrid once.

Umbral knight + Eleine is a good combo. I like Gerrod as my default since he hits hard and his attack arc is so big. I haven't found any ancient soul to upgrade Umbral yet, though, even though he's a starter spirit.

Now that I got Silva I'll probably use her out too. The aforementioned bossfight was pretty fun, just had to realize to stick close to her and shoot Eleine missilies for the last phase.