Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
(thinking back to reading Animal Farm in 8th grade) this whole thing smacks of communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://twitter.com/fbnewsroom/status/1450154002755178499
Hold us accountable, in the way we find most convenient.
https://twitter.com/fbnewsroom/status/1450154003816325124
It doesn't count unless it was said in the C-Suite.
https://twitter.com/fbnewsroom/status/1450154004730707972
We have never heard of, or asked for, a publication embargo.
https://twitter.com/fbnewsroom/status/1450154005749854211
We don't like that there are over 30 journalists working on it, and we certainly don't like that they're choosing the relevant documents instead of the ones in which we celebrate petting puppies.
https://twitter.com/fbnewsroom/status/1450154006727200771
If you want to print our PR releases, we're always available.

As a comms professional, lemme say if you're tweetstorming poo poo like this before an article drops you are insanely scared of what the article actually says

Like this is massive crisis level bad coming down the Pike and I cannot WAIT to see what it is

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

As a comms professional, lemme say if you're tweetstorming poo poo like this before an article drops you are insanely scared of what the article actually says

Like this is massive crisis level bad coming down the Pike and I cannot WAIT to see what it is

I mean honestly if someone says that things are being taken out of context to make you look bad, maybe you could release the parts in context? Oh you can't and we should just take your word for it? Hmmm.....

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Seth Pecksniff posted:

That's what i suspected too (though I'm no expert, so I'm glad you say the same) and I also can't wait to see what it'll be :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Yes. Move another door down

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Yes. Move another door down
But he'd probably take someone trying to move into his house as a threat!

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/tchuu1312/status/1450127030780055561?s=20

Bonus: the article in the OP actually says that Samus should smile more because that’s what women in power armor being chased through a death planet need to do

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I mean honestly if someone says that things are being taken out of context to make you look bad, maybe you could release the parts in context? Oh you can't and we should just take your word for it? Hmmm.....

Yeah it's funny how much "that's out of context" has just become "I want to deny something which is true, but for some reason don't think I can outright lie" over the past few years.
It generally was a dodge, but at least they worked harder on it in the past.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes the deflection is even used when the remarks are even worse in context.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Humongous Pear posted:

https://twitter.com/tchuu1312/status/1450127030780055561?s=20

Bonus: the article in the OP actually says that Samus should smile more because that’s what women in power armor being chased through a death planet need to do

I remember the last time they tried giving Samus emotions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrwN5jS4bt4

Compelling, and not at all the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Crazy to say that about Samus in Metroid Dread, specifically.

She only has like, two lines, but one of them is a GUTTURAL SCREAM OF PRIMAL RAGE. That's an emotion! And a lot of one, too!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://twitter.com/knight_unholy/status/1450281913348993029

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a dumb complaint as well. Generally whenever people try to make a female protagonist more feminine they miss that they are already plenty personable as is, it's just when appropriate. Aloy spends a good chunk of the game a bit grumpy because to be fair she has had a hard life fighting robot dinosaurs and being a social outcast for literally no reason, but she does have a sense of humour about herself and sometimes does laugh, it's just the situation doesn't often call for it. Samus has no one to bounce off of in most of her games, so of course she's not going to be displaying many positive emotions when the entire planet is trying to eat her.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Samus using Ice Beam: "ICE to meet you!"

Samus using Morph Ball: "Don't stop me now! I'm having such a good time! I'm havin' a BALL!"

Samus getting roared at by Ridley: " Wow, SOMEBODY needs a breath mint! Phew!"

Samus watching Mother Brain get infected by an X parasite: "Well, THAT happened!"

Samus watching Space Pirates readying to fight: "Hey, watch those snippers, boys! This ain't a CRAB RAVE!"

Samus meeting the Chozo: "What are you hiding for? What are you guys, CHICKEN?"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What happens when she mains Mr. Game & Watch in Super Smash Brothers?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Samus is hella expressive via her body language even though she only has like two actual lines in Dread.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
you, an idiot: samus is cool

me, a feminist: samus would be prettier if she smiled more often

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

you, an idiot: samus is cool

me, a feminist: samus would be prettier if she smiled more often
also: "samus should behave more like other female characters in fiction rather than being different"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only characterisation I am familiar with for samus is like, that one where she's constantly going on about the baby.

Seemed pretty bad tbh!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Starting to feel like they've gotten the idea that a strong female character is a gender swapped Poochie.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

The only characterisation I am familiar with for samus is like, that one where she's constantly going on about the baby.

Seemed pretty bad tbh!

that's the bad game that is pseudo non-canon because they're too cowardly to just make it officially non-canon

like Disney is sort of doing with their star wars trilogy

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
as much as I hate the game, there's no real case for other m not being canon. because all canon is in this context is "the creators consider them part of the official universe", and they do, out of character behavior and small plot nitpicks aside.
that's also why you shouldn't care at all whether anything is "canon" or not in basically any context though

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

gbut posted:

These Final Sours - Bar&Grill

Dulce et Decorum Eat

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

IronicDongz posted:

as much as I hate the game, there's no real case for other m not being canon. because all canon is in this context is "the creators consider them part of the official universe", and they do, out of character behavior and small plot nitpicks aside.
that's also why you shouldn't care at all whether anything is "canon" or not in basically any context though

I have seen the argument that Other M should be considered non-canon because it it kinda plays so wildly loose with its story that it ends up directly invalidating both the Prime series and Fusion. ...and then in a bunch of weird little ways I've also seen it pointed out that it actually ends up refuting the canon of every single other Metroid game, as well. For example, it claims that the Space Pirates are basically wild animals without a Mother Brain to control them like a hive mind; since Super Metroid involves the Space Pirates working independently to rebuild their Zebes base, that means that Other M declares Super Metroid at least partially non-canon.

So it gets into a bit of an odd situation where trying to make complete sense of the Metroid series requires dismissing Other M in so many places that you've thrown out the whole thing by the end.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Other M is part of the timeline pictures at the end of Dread (while the Prime series isn't) depending on your item percentage, take that as you will.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Other M is part of the timeline pictures at the end of Dread (while the Prime series isn't) depending on your item percentage, take that as you will.

Badly. I'll take that badly.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

kirbysuperstar posted:

Even if it wasn't, the game is canon, regardless of it being terrible. And so is Prime until either of them are explicitly deconfirmed by Nintendo(which isn't likely to happen) since all canon means is what media is part of a franchise's "official" continuity.
The reason Other M is in the timeline at the end of dread and Prime isn't is because that timeline is just the mainline Metroid series. Aka, Metroid 1 to 5, and Other M is essentially Metroid 3.5 and slots right in there between Super and Fusion.
Stuff like the manga and non-mainline metroid games(like hunters, federation force, prime) aren't included because they're side games and that list just isn't trying to show a full comprehensive timeline of all Metroid media(despite how much everyone likes prime) but they're still all canon(despite how much everyone dislikes federation force).
A full timeline would look more like this, the timeline shown in dread just being that top main series.

Cleretic posted:

For example, it claims that the Space Pirates are basically wild animals without a Mother Brain to control them like a hive mind; since Super Metroid involves the Space Pirates working independently to rebuild their Zebes base, that means that Other M declares Super Metroid at least partially non-canon.
The space pirates in Other M specifically are like that, but they're weird cyborgs made by the federation for use as bioweapons. Which is why they don't have their own intelligence and are controlled by an AI.
In fact, they made it more clear later that those cyborg zebesians are not like the normal ones that are intelligent, in a smash bros. trophy description of all places:

tl;dr: canon is a mostly meaningless approval stamp that you basically shouldn't think about at all

LazyMaybe has a new favorite as of 11:40 on Oct 19, 2021

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Cyborg lesbians?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Does anyone really care about Metroid canon? Generally outside of the opening cutscenes they're pretty plot free. You don't really need to have played the previous games to enjoy whichever one you want (except for maybe the Prime trilogy)

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I thought we all learnt our lesson on this one after they punished us with the official Zelda timeline.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

Does anyone really care about Metroid canon? Generally outside of the opening cutscenes they're pretty plot free. You don't really need to have played the previous games to enjoy whichever one you want (except for maybe the Prime trilogy)

in general what people are caring about is Other-M loving off forever

no one cared about the canon before that

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

grittyreboot posted:

People cared about Phazon, Dark Samus/the Metroid Prime and to a lesser degree, the X-Parasites. So, yeah they did, just not as vocally as a lot of other games.

Now as for the canon of the F-Zero universe, I

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Regarde Aduck posted:

that's the bad game that is pseudo non-canon because they're too cowardly to just make it officially non-canon

like Disney is sort of doing with their star wars trilogy

Among the many funny things about how Disney hosed that up, it's been said that with The Mandalorian, the sequels are canon 'in theory but not in practice'.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

grittyreboot posted:

Does anyone really care about Metroid canon?

Yea, metroid's arm canon!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

metroid is actually the name of the princess

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Samus actually is smiling all the time, she's just wearing a helmet mostly.
Link should smile more

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Samus really loves killing. The whole series would be really uncomfortable if she didn't wear the helmet

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat, picturing the OG NES Metroid being released today

Millions of nerds watching the ending scene: WHAT THE FUUUUUCK *goes on incel rampage*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Data Graham posted:

drat, picturing the OG NES Metroid being released today

Millions of nerds watching the ending scene: WHAT THE FUUUUUCK *goes on incel rampage*

Now I'm remembering the goon who took the "confirmed bachelor" trait in fallout and got pissed it made his character gay