Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It still encourages you to spend way too much time picking up the dozen fuel canisters and spools of wire littered across every base, though.

True, it's a transparent effort to make every location a bit more engaging and rewarding. It's kind of annoying though.

Honestly once you have the Bandidos missions and a few leaders collecting anything is almost pointless. It is by far the best way to get every single currency or resource apart from Moneda and whatever resource you pay real money for. I don't really bother collecting resources anymore and I'm not incredibly close to being finished with the game.

By the way, folks might not realize this but you start with 300 worth of the real money shop currency without paying anything. Which is enough to buy one of the special guns. Best one is probably the Hammer of the Gods LMG although I don't really use that one much anyways and if you like how the other ones look get one of them by all means. Any of those guns would help someone just starting immensely.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned that I really like about this game: it's very playable on controller and almost too easy with m+kb. I can't stand m+kb so I like the balance they managed to strike with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

For helicopters etc my favorite method has been the el caballero grenade launcher, helis never seem to get out of range plus it's great for blowing other poo poo up quickly like billboards or enemy vehicles. Pair that with at least one gun that has the reload all mod and it owns so much to never bother with its long rear end reload

One thing I just noticed is that when fishing the right stick onscreen shows which way to move it to oppose fish movement lol what the gently caress don't even tell me 5 had this, I don't even wanna hear it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fishing is entirely pointless in 6.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Flying car: broke

Flying floating lawn chair: woke

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Play posted:

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned that I really like about this game: it's very playable on controller and almost too easy with m+kb. I can't stand m+kb so I like the balance they managed to strike with that.

I am not a frequent FPS player, and I'm finding clicking heads to be very easy with kb+m, indeed. One weird thing I've noticed is that helipcopter controls seem weirdly limited with KB+M. You yaw much more quickly with a joystick than with a mouse, and for whatever reason, you seem to have a more limited pitch range with a mouse when compared to a joystick. I can't seem to aim down enough for ground attack with a mouse but it's possible with a joystick. It pitch movement also seems to snap back some when you stop moving your mouse. It's very annoying and poorly implemented. You need a controller available just for helicopters, it seems like.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 19, 2021

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Fishing is entirely pointless in 6.

Which is a shame, is was v zen and also lucrative in 5

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fame Douglas posted:

Both had the exact same lines, they were exactly equally witty and funny. But Alexios has the better voice actor, in Odyssey the male choice is the preferred one. Though neither performance is outstanding, which isn't surprising considering the absurd length of the game.

i like kassandra but i prefer her as deimos because she plays the hosed up bad guy/foil better then alexios.alexios does big kinda naive well meaning but also mercenary demi god, loving and killing throughout the land.

spider bethlehem posted:

It's extremely funny that considering how much effort they put into making Viviro a wonder cancer cure that is allowing this tiny island nation to force the rest of the world to a moral reckoning with a brutal dictator but actually doesn't work on the special cool magic cancer Giancarlo Esposito has. you couldn't think of one other disease people can have? one other definitive metaphor for interior corruption mirroring exterior malevolence? Nothing? Not one thing? Also I wonder if they were going to do a viviro=marijuana parallel like they did with opium and Bliss and... well, marijuana in previous games and decided it's too risky.

This game ran out of steam for me very badly somewhere after Madrugada, which i did first.. A lot of the later game revelations felt extremely coercive, trying very hard to wring pathos and twists out of characters and scenarios that are pretty wildly contrived in the first place. It also has that same FC5 mealy mouthed inability to stake a political stance more complicated than 'it's bad to melt people in an industrial foundry, and also no one here cares about this enough to remark on it except for the bad people who think it's super fun to display evidence of war crimes in their garden parties.'

It's a shame. I was having a great time with it for awhile and Dani really carries this game on their shoulders. Tone oscillates wildly between lisa frank murder party in the jungle and 'the human cost of this regime is incalculable'. It's a game that's made with tremendous amounts of work, vision, and ambition on the technical side but narratively is terminally compromised.

Also, the cities being essentially empty was a bummer. I know the in universe excuse is lockdown but i would have loved to see crowds and riots and a feel for the people. But maybe the engine just cannot handle that.

At least they took out the fun wacky cia guy (except for one note that mentions him I think).

I did love Ocuso at least. I guess I'll see what comes of the DLCs but after FC5 I'm not necessarily optimistic.

my assumption was that viviro doesnt work as well as fring and co claim it does. its works well enough on some cancer and poo poo that but it clearly doesnt work as well as it should.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

They really put a ton of effort into these treasure hunts, they're easily the best side missions in the game. A lot of them are more involved than the actual story missions.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Play posted:

I do kind of have a complaint about the segment finishing missions. They're not hard enough or involved enough. Killing Benitez was the only one so far that was actually a decent challenge. McKay was piss easy and Jose Fernandez or whatever his name is was piss easy (as easy as shooting down a helicopter, basically). I did both of those two in the space of about twenty minutes and wasn't challenged the whole time. Thankfully I've still got three left, hopefully they get better

They start saying different things as your guerilla level rises.

But yeah, they can be some real ungrateful pricks. What the gently caress have you assholes been doing? Walking aimlessly back and forth down the same loving trail over and over? Please

Every time one asks me if I dressed myself that way on purpose I want to sic my panther on them

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blind Rasputin posted:

Flying car: broke

Flying floating lawn chair: woke

Yea that thing is hilariously awesome. It took me a while to realize it has guns too. It's also really easy to land, because it takes up almost no space and it can land in water and not sink. Though it can be shot down by small arms.

Also, do not fly over Esperanza at all, as you will get your shut pushed in instantly.

For tanks, I found that you can emp them, run up to the hatch you get into to drive it while standing on the body of the tank, and you can either hijack or destroy it. Destroying it looks so brutal.

I used my UbiBux to buy the sniper rifle. I already have a good LMG that I got with the reward coins.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 19, 2021

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Looks like Lola's store updated with a bunch of new items and a new special operations map.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Looks like Lola's store updated with a bunch of new items and a new special operations map.

I'm waiting to get the Vector for Moneda, it's cool they've got a system to get the MTX guns for free. I'm sad I spent a bunch of Moneda on industrial circuits and composite because now I've got all the Bandidos I literally have over a thousand of each

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm about halfway through Far Cry New Dawn, and my god it's so much better than FC5. I could take or leave the antagonists, but overall the story is better, and so far I haven't felt shoved into the main plot line at random (and I've been captured/kidnapped exactly zero times so far!).

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I think Nee Dawn is still the strongest far cry in terms of gameplay but the main villains being to black kids who drive into a gated community playing their music too loud is some weird optics.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

drat. I haven’t done any of them yet. It’s that worth it? I didn’t know they’d sell unique gear only available for moneda like that.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

drat. I haven’t done any of them yet. It’s that worth it? I didn’t know they’d sell unique gear only available for moneda like that.

So Far Cry Coins are the premium only currency, and Moneda is the bridging semi-premium currency. You earn Moneda primarily from doing late game online content, you don't buy it. Every week one of the guns that's normally only for coins will be up for Moneda. There are also two "overclocked" guns which are variants of early game guns with maximum mod slots and a built in damage buff. Last week this was the MP5, which was a 4* MP5K, and the M1887 which was a 4* variant of the sawed off M1887. They're cool because they make early game guns viable for late game content.

Last week it was the Eastern Front, which was the rifle in the premium Soviet pack. Went for 1200 Moneda, which is about 4 coop runs of a late game Special Operation. You couldn't buy it outside of the 1500 coin bundle ($15), but now that I've got the gun the bundle is discounted to 1200 ($12).

The other weekly mechanic is Insurgency, which basically tasks you with doing an FND base, special Operation, a few map objectives and then an assassination. For this you get loads of Moneda and a unique gun.

It's a decent system but there really needs to be more because it's only an hour or two of late game content a week.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Sedisp posted:

I think Nee Dawn is still the strongest far cry in terms of gameplay but the main villains being to black kids who drive into a gated community playing their music too loud is some weird optics.

New Dawn is far more of a reactionary game than Far Cry 5, which was simply too cowardly to end on the actual Christian apocalypse. A band of urban minorities associated with hip hop music and graffiti, led by two young black women, terrorise an idyllic rural community and an anprim commune that just wants to listen to '70s dad rock in peace. They contribute nothing and take everything, enslaving others to do their labour and parasitically reap all the fruits of that labour, threatening the existence of the communities that they terrorise with their violence. Joseph calls them hordes at their gates like Hope County is Vienna against The Turk!

For all the talk about ideology in games, New Dawn is the closest I have seen to a right-wing reactionary fantasy on the level of an S. Craig Zahler movie, and it doesn't even give you the courtesy of being entertaining like, say, Bone Tomahawk. Nobody cared because I guess the Crysis superpowers you get were seen as more interesting than 5?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
the gently caress are you talking about lmao

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Echoing sentiments on the game being really easy. I’ve completed Madrugda and Valle De Oro and got half way through El Tigre with a 2 star assault rifle and sniper. I never went back to the armoury and upgraded it because I forgot I could do that, I simply didn’t need any other weapons (once I upgraded my stuff with armour piercing and silencers). I think I could have probably finished the whole game without upgrading my weapons any further if I wanted to, and if this thread didn’t remind me how to buy new weapons I probably would have.

I also think this game has a severe case of tonal whiplash. I’m trying to take down a brutal fascist dictatorship responsible for terrible human rights abuses, but I’m doing it in a rubber dinosaur mask with a magic backpack and a gun that shoots Macarena cds. It just doesn’t click imo. The shooting is fun, but tonally it’s a clusterfuck

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

After I take out the alarms I'm mainly just running with a shotgun and grenades. Clicking on heads with a silenced rifle is too easy. I've died more loving around with the wingsuit than anything else.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the gun that shoots through walls has gotta be one of the most hilariously overpowered weapons I've seen in a game. You can just clear entire areas without any thought or effort.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Caesar Saladin posted:

the gun that shoots through walls has gotta be one of the most hilariously overpowered weapons I've seen in a game. You can just clear entire areas without any thought or effort.
Which is why it's cool the first couple of times you use it but then you switch to something more fun and engaging. After watching No Country For Old Men the the other night you bet I switched it up for a silenced slug spitting shotgun and went about ragdolling fools and I haven't gone back to the Triada set.

[edit]
Be sure to mod it for body shot damage and bonus aimed damage and resist the urge to click on heads, slugs seem to have some random deviation making it useless as a poor man's sniper. Do line up guys for fun multikill ragdoll action.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 19, 2021

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Speaking of snipers, they don't seem worth the effort. Why deal with slow reloads and bullet drop when my silenced single-shot AR also kills dudes in one headshot?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sipher posted:

Speaking of snipers, they don't seem worth the effort. Why deal with slow reloads and bullet drop when my silenced single-shot AR also kills dudes in one headshot?

I have not experienced any noticeable bullet drop on any of the sniper rifles when paired with AP ammo, even at very long ranges. Are you comparing an AR with AP ammo to a sniper rifle with regular ammo?

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, considering that snipers are multiple shots to kill at center of mass, but have much slower follow up shots, and most shots aren’t so far as to require a 8x scope, a normal rifle with a suppressor and acog work better for clearing bases or defending against distant enemies.

The 1911 with an optic and a silencer is also accurate enough to take out distant guards, and I used that and the MP5 (with a compensator) for most of the game. Also, compensators completely tame recoil and throwing one on the MP5 lets you hit bursts at insane ranges.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

You can also get gear that reduces weapon sway which makes it trivial to click on heads even while scoped in and moving.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I have not experienced any noticeable bullet drop on any of the sniper rifles when paired with AP ammo, even at very long ranges. Are you comparing an AR with AP ammo to a sniper rifle with regular ammo?

Good call out, I think I was using a unique with blast rounds instead of AP. Might also just be the scope having different crosshairs than the ACOG I'm used to.

I'm going to try that silenced 1911. I have like 20 ARs I haven't even tried out because the silenced single-shot has been my go-to the entire game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can also get gear that reduces weapon sway which makes it trivial to click on heads even while scoped in and moving.

This is what I'm doing. I have an SVD with AP ammo, and two pieces of gear that reduce weapon sway. My sights are perfectly still at all times, even without holding my breath. Clicking heads is the easiest thing in the world, and the SVD has fairly quick follow-up potential.

edit: also it's a loving SVD, I mean c'mon. How can you not?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I thought the best AR was the unique one with explosive bullets. I'm sure you could make something similar but a full clip will take down a helicopter and shred normal guys.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The SSGP-58 is absurdly strong, enough that I have it in my number 1 slot at all times to fall back on. With all the mods on its a 1 shot headshot on every enemy, has 54 rounds in the mag and is ridiculously accurate fired from the hip with a fast rate of fire. You can just wave it in the general area and it'll 1-dink every enemy.

I then swap around my other slots with whatever weird weapon I'm trying to make work. The game is silly easy once you've hit max level so I have to make my own difficulty/fun by using weird guns.

The premium Moneda gun for this week is the Vector from the Yarapunk Pack and it's super fun, 1200 RPM and low recoil makes for a great bullet hose.

I'd love for New Game+, and maybe a higher difficulty setting like those that came to the previous games post-release.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

The game is silly easy once you've hit max level so I have to make my own difficulty/fun by using weird guns.

This is absolutely the key to enjoying any Far Cry game in my experience, sure you could clear every outpost with a silenced sniper rifle or a gun that shoots through walls, or you could try to disable all the alarms with nothing but throwing axes, a slug shotgun, and a completely stock AK.

Porstuve
Apr 4, 2015

Every time I walk into the Montero camp, Dani has that first phone call with Clara about reaching it. I've already finished all the missions and it's gotten to the point where that first dialogue doesn't make any sense anymore. I hope to god this doesn't carry over to the other factions/camps :shepicide:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've seen some stuff about Insurgency missions. Are those different from Special Ops? Where do I get those? It sounds like they give the same rewards as Special Ops and I want ot get that Vector. If there's an easier way to get it without paying cash I'm all ear. I've haven't done Special Ops either but it sounds like co-op is recommended for that.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've haven't done Special Ops either but it sounds like co-op is recommended for that.

The base difficulty for spec ops is pretty easy for single-player. You do unlock higher difficulty tiers where co-op is recommended, but you can just grind the easier difficulties if you want to go solo.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Think ive clocked 15 hours in this game before realising you can change your rate of fire in the weapon wheel. Forgot that was a thing from the previous games.

Played a good few hours in coop and with the exception of the black ops and its exploding device there is not that much of a challenge, even running through the the main city from one side to the other. Found fun in setting our own challenges like allowing alarms to be triggered, no silencers, and using slow firing guns. Still, found lots of good loot and guns to try out in a short span of time.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

I've seen some stuff about Insurgency missions. Are those different from Special Ops? Where do I get those? It sounds like they give the same rewards as Special Ops and I want ot get that Vector. If there's an easier way to get it without paying cash I'm all ear. I've haven't done Special Ops either but it sounds like co-op is recommended for that.

Insurgency pops up after you finish the main story, every week a new region will be under attack and you can clear out some of the bases again for moneda rewards.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do you get more bandido leaders? I have 221 recruits and only one leader.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Slavik posted:

Think ive clocked 15 hours in this game before realising you can change your rate of fire in the weapon wheel. Forgot that was a thing from the previous games.

Why would you ever do that.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

How do you get more bandido leaders? I have 221 recruits and only one leader.

mostly side missions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Fame Douglas posted:

Why would you ever do that.

the starter FAL goes from being pitiful to killing level one enemies in a single headshot

which, uh, isn't saying much, but every little bit helps?